Melbourne Football

Western Sydney

LR9

Was really surprised to hear that WSW recorded a loss of over a million dollars. Even if Wanderers were in the red I would not have imagined it would be any where near that much.

http://www.afr.com/p/lifestyle/sport/league_season_score_down_UfyEAJU3a6IzQjBPsaNO9J

Thats not bad considering its their first season. At this rate they'll easily make a profit next season.

Most businesses record a loss in their first year. It's the profit/(loss) from subsequent years that will depict a more accurate assessment of their performance.

In other words, kick back and give credit where credit's due.

In other words, kick back and give credit where credit's due.

To the FFA..?

:lawl:  :lawl:  :lawl:  :lawl:

Yeh, well I guess the FFA is a business too. So if they are successful with their WSW team then fair play to them and the club.

give credit where credit's due.

Wasnt having a crack. Just surprised it was that much

You're right it does seem like quite a bit. I wouldn't have much of a clue what start up costs are involved though, but regardless, the FFA would never let the WSW fall on their own sword.

give credit where credit's due.

Wasnt having a crack. Just surprised it was that much

You're right it does seem like quite a bit. I wouldn't have much of a clue what start up costs are involved though, but regardless, the FFA would never let the WSW fall on their own sword.

Professional expenses. Structuring the company, registration, legal expenses, trademark and copyright. Retaining professionals for advice on structuring (legal, accountants etc) Design, of all logo's, letterheads, merch etc. Admin and technology cost. That is, purchasing all office equipment, computers, printers, phones, furniture, stationary etc etc. 

Transport cost, office fit outs, vehicles, training equipment, rehab/ recovery equip, match day equip etc etc etc.  

Staff recruitment expenses. Popa's and Ante's relocation expenses.

Basically, it's all those purchases that are needed to kick off, and aren't necessarily replaced each financial year. Would be tonnes more I haven't even thought of.

Did anyone listen to sheedy after the GWS game today??? Here's one of his quotes:

"We don’t have the recruiting officer called the immigration department recruiting fans for Western Sydney Wanderers – we don’t have that on our side.

LOL

I don't think its racist which is what much of twitter is deploring, but it's a pretty dumb comment. Good way to alienate a large proportion of the target fan-base.

It's a comment that was always going to be jumped on by those waiting and watching for this sort of thing.

Of course, the genesis of the comment happens to be true. Very few, if any, immigrants (as I am BTW) will have anything but the most basic knowledge of Australian Rules Football, even if they know it exists at all. Whereas most, if not all, will be very familiar with Association Football.

Just one of the things that contributes to my view that FFA does not do a good job in growing the game in this country. A market that is growing by somewhere between 150,000 and 300,000 people per year, most of whom settle in urban areas...should be very easy pickings.

Did anyone listen to sheedy after the GWS game today??? Here's one of his quotes:

"We don’t have the recruiting officer called the immigration department recruiting fans for Western Sydney Wanderers – we don’t have that on our side.

LOL

I don't think its racist which is what much of twitter is deploring, but it's a pretty dumb comment. Good way to alienate a large proportion of the target fan-base.

It's a comment that was always going to be jumped on by those waiting and watching for this sort of thing.

Of course, the genesis of the comment happens to be true. Very few, if any, immigrants (as I am BTW) will have anything but the most basic knowledge of Australian Rules Football, even if they know it exists at all. Whereas most, if not all, will be very familiar with Association Football.

Just one of the things that contributes to my view that FFA does not do a good job in growing the game in this country. A market that is growing by somewhere between 150,000 and 300,000 people per year, most of whom settle in urban areas...should be very easy pickings.

In saying that I have always been amazed by AFL's ability to reign in New Comers to this country from those who can barely speak English to those with already est strong Soccer Ties in the UK.

Sheedy's comments show how much he and the AFL don't understand Western Sydney.

So, what he's saying is only 'effniks' follow the Wanderers?

Only 'skippy's' follow AFL?

That Western Sydney is full of 'effniks' and no 'skips'? Great way to alienate your market. Not only did he offend wanderers supporters, he offended the whole of Western Sydney.

He has a region of 2 million people to draw support for one team.

Maybe they should start by actually representing the region and creating an identity that Western Sydney can relate to.

Not play half their games in Canberra.

Not make Round 7 their 1st home match.

Not make Homebush (almost east Sydney territory) the home ground when they received $25million from the government to play at Blacktown.

Most of all, they should just pack up and move the whole shebang to Canberra.

The Swannies have taken 25 years and are still bleeding money.

• Like 1

Sheedy's comments show how much he and the AFL don't understand Western Sydney.

So, what he's saying is only 'effniks' follow the Wanderers?

Only 'skippy's' follow AFL?

That Western Sydney is full of 'effniks' and no 'skips'? Great way to alienate your market. Not only did he offend wanderers supporters, he offended the whole of Western Sydney.

He has a region of 2 million people to draw support for one team.

Maybe they should start by actually representing the region and creating an identity that Western Sydney can relate to.

Not play half their games in Canberra.

Not make Round 7 their 1st home match.

Not make Homebush (almost east Sydney territory) the home ground when they received $25million from the government to play at Blacktown.

Most of all, they should just pack up and move the whole shebang to Canberra.

The Swannies have taken 25 years and are still bleeding money.

Finally I agree with you on something Benched,

You New South Welshman will always be too retarded to ever undertand AFL so why does the League bother gifting Preimeships to these sides.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

Hmm, I'd like to think it's more just a case of we understand it, we just don't like it.

Not hard to understand a game that rewards you for missing and you can move the ball in any direction at any time by any means.

None the less, Sheeds has fucked up here. From what I understand of him though, he's a bit of a human headline. Problem for him, it's the 3rd time he's made a similar comment regarding the Western Sydney demographic. Not sure if he's racist, xenophobic or a bit of both.

What he's about to find out though is Westies are extremely proud of their area. 

Just move the shit to Canberra now.

BTW, how embarrassing for the HAL that they can't secure ACT government funding for an A League team, but the AFL scammed $25 million out of them for a  team called Greater Western Sydney!

Sheeds ain't a racist mate, just a bloke who doesn't feel he needs to think before he speaks. To much support of my people in the sport over re years for me to accept that tripe

I'm not saying what he said was right but sounds like someone is just bitter about the success of WSW and let it get to him

Edited by Boffins
  • Like 1

Sheedy's comments are eerily similar to Eddie McGuire's "land of the falafel" comment made just over two years ago.  Both show not only a degree of disrespect to Western Sydney and its’ demographic make-up, but in Sheedy’s case, disrespect to the sport of football. 

Disrespect because he paints the picture that football is only popular in Western Sydney because of its’ high immigration numbers.  Whilst having a strong diverse society like that in Western Sydney has contributed to the growth of football in this area, Sheedy’s comments completely ignores the well over 100 years of contribution to football made by all people during this time.  Heaven forbid that a “non-migrant”, whatever that means, contributes to and follows the sport of football.  It’s that “us and them” mentality that slowly seeps through his words, and according to Craig Foster’s article (link below), this is not the first time.

This is not surprising however, at least IMO, as there is a mentality held amongst the Kevin Sheedy generation, i.e. your elder Australian Rules Football stalwarts, that if you want to be truly Australian, you need to follow Australian Rules Football because this is our game – not football.  This way you will be accepted as one of us… maybe. 

This mentality should be changed because people should be free to follow football (or not), and not have their “Australianness” questioned.  This, in my view, is a key factor in growing the sport of football.

Craig Foster’s response to this story pretty much sums up my view on this issue.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/craig-foster/blog/1151394/Sheedy,-you're-a-disgrace

Sheedy's comments are eerily similar to Eddie McGuire's "land of the falafel" comment made just over two years ago.  Both show not only a degree of disrespect to Western Sydney and its’ demographic make-up, but in Sheedy’s case, disrespect to the sport of football. 

Disrespect because he paints the picture that football is only popular in Western Sydney because of its’ high immigration numbers.  Whilst having a strong diverse society like that in Western Sydney has contributed to the growth of football in this area, Sheedy’s comments completely ignores the well over 100 years of contribution to football made by all people during this time.  Heaven forbid that a “non-migrant”, whatever that means, contributes to and follows the sport of football.  It’s that “us and them” mentality that slowly seeps through his words, and according to Craig Foster’s article (link below), this is not the first time.

This is not surprising however, at least IMO, as there is a mentality held amongst the Kevin Sheedy generation, i.e. your elder Australian Rules Football stalwarts, that if you want to be truly Australian, you need to follow Australian Rules Football because this is our game – not football.  This way you will be accepted as one of us… maybe. 

This mentality should be changed because people should be free to follow football (or not), and not have their “Australianness” questioned.  This, in my view, is a key factor in growing the sport of football.

Craig Foster’s response to this story pretty much sums up my view on this issue.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/craig-foster/blog/1151394/Sheedy,-you're-a-disgrace

lol you're argument, however well thought out it may well be, immediately loses ground when you start citing the most Sydney-centric, anti-victorian voice in Australian football: Crag 'The world is against us' Foster. The man is an idiot.

Edited by Braveheart
  • Like 1

lol you're argument, however well thought out it may well be, immediately loses ground when you start citing the most Sydney-centric, anti-victorian voice in Australian football: Crag 'The world is against us' Foster. The man is an idiot.

The BWB Facebook Page did the same thing... :droy: