Melbourne Football

Western Sydney

LR9

Sheedy's comments are eerily similar to Eddie McGuire's "land of the falafel" comment made just over two years ago.  Both show not only a degree of disrespect to Western Sydney and its’ demographic make-up, but in Sheedy’s case, disrespect to the sport of football. 

Disrespect because he paints the picture that football is only popular in Western Sydney because of its’ high immigration numbers.  Whilst having a strong diverse society like that in Western Sydney has contributed to the growth of football in this area, Sheedy’s comments completely ignores the well over 100 years of contribution to football made by all people during this time.  Heaven forbid that a “non-migrant”, whatever that means, contributes to and follows the sport of football.  It’s that “us and them” mentality that slowly seeps through his words, and according to Craig Foster’s article (link below), this is not the first time.

This is not surprising however, at least IMO, as there is a mentality held amongst the Kevin Sheedy generation, i.e. your elder Australian Rules Football stalwarts, that if you want to be truly Australian, you need to follow Australian Rules Football because this is our game – not football.  This way you will be accepted as one of us… maybe. 

This mentality should be changed because people should be free to follow football (or not), and not have their “Australianness” questioned.  This, in my view, is a key factor in growing the sport of football.

Craig Foster’s response to this story pretty much sums up my view on this issue.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/craig-foster/blog/1151394/Sheedy,-you're-a-disgrace

lol you're argument, however well thought out it may well be, immediately loses ground when you start citing the most Sydney-centric, anti-victorian voice in Australian football: Crag 'The world is against us' Foster. The man is an idiot.

Yeah, Foz does have his pro-Sydney, anti-Melboune agenda going on, which is nauseating to say the least, (his over-appraisal of all things Barca not excluded). 

However don't let this detract from the overall message of Sheedy's comments that football is only followed and played by migrants and Australians only follow and play Australian Rules Football.  The truth is, both follow and play both.

• Like 2

Always find it humorous how Sheedy has the tag of being the coach who paved the way for indigenous footballers in the AFL. His sides were notorious for targeting the Krakoueur brothers during his time, not to mention that Windy Hill was one of the most vitriolic grounds for racial abuse in the VFL. The fact he hasn't backed down from his comments yesterday says it all about the flog.

Fair play to the RBB if they put donations forward for the power-chair team but with all the shit talking and self fellatio they've got going on up there I find it difficult to take any actions they do seriously.

Edited by FB.
  • Like 1

Always find it humorous how Sheedy has the tag of being the coach who paved the way for indigenous footballers in the AFL. 

Obvious bias but I always considered Neesham more of an advocate for the indigenous, especially with his work that hes performed after his coaching career.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/clontarf-boys-time-to-shine/story-e6frg6n6-1111112580242

Always find it humorous how Sheedy has the tag of being the coach who paved the way for indigenous footballers in the AFL. 

Obvious bias but I always considered Neesham more of an advocate for the indigenous, especially with his work that hes performed after his coaching career.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/clontarf-boys-time-to-shine/story-e6frg6n6-1111112580242

Neesham is certainly one of the few PPL that could rival Sheedy in the Big Head Stakes, the idiot made sure Fremantle did not its Start Up Flag the AFL guarantees all teams. His history at the draft tables reads like the blokes own fucken family tree.

Neesham is certainly one of the few PPL that could rival Sheedy in the Big Head Stakes, the idiot made sure Fremantle did not its Start Up Flag the AFL guarantees all teams. His history at the draft tables reads like the blokes own fucken family tree.

I cant argue about Neesham but we got nowhere near the same amount of draft picks that GWS or GC received, and the zone selections we had were from an already raped WAFL unlike WCE who basically had the best of what was still a strong local competition. In fact I'd almost argue that we deliberately weren't given a start up flag as the AFL didn't want WCE and Freo both dominating the league. 

The bullshit I have heard over the last few days about Sheedy being a champion of diversity is laughable.  The guy is an idiot who thinks that if you are going to live in Australia then you need to embrace Australian things like AFL and so on..  He does not aim for a respect of diversity at all, rather  wants assimilation..  Football to him is just hanging on to your "old country" and not embracing Australia.

Am very surprised to read on this forum that people would be against Craig Foster.  The article is spot on..

The AFL with their rubbish programs that promote "diversity" are just PR opportunities and I know for a fact that a lot of the kids that were used for photo opportunities were then abandoned and left with nothing that was promised to them such as help with pathways into the game.

• Like 1

Am very surprised to read on this forum that people would be against Craig Foster.  

Yes, I like Football therefore I must like Craig Foster and agree with all he says as he is pro-football... What a load of tripe.

Irrespective of his love for a game that I also love, the man is a simpleton who aptly demonstrates the superficial level of Journalistic/Commentary talent available in the Football pool in this country. 

Edited by Braveheart
  • Like 1

I cant argue about Neesham but we got nowhere near the same amount of draft picks that GWS or GC received, and the zone selections we had were from an already raped WAFL unlike WCE who basically had the best of what was still a strong local competition. In fact I'd almost argue that we deliberately weren't given a start up flag as the AFL didn't want WCE and Freo both dominating the league. 

The Eagles received the best deal of all time...

(What is amazing is their supporters dont know this and even when told as such by their own football media still argue he league is rigid against them.)

And Freo def did not receive anything like the other new clubs either - but still a coach like Sheedy or Parkin (When their coaching methods were relevant) at the time could have made it work...

Am very surprised to read on this forum that people would be against Craig Foster.

Yes, I like Football therefore I must like Craig Foster and agree with all he says as he is pro-football... What a load of tripe.

Irrespective of his love for a game that I also love, the man is a simpleton who aptly demonstrates the superficial level of Journalistic/Commentary talent available in the Football pool in this country.

Yet you rate Caro. :droy: multiplied infinity.

• Like 1

Yes, I like Football therefore I must like Craig Foster and agree with all he says as he is pro-football... What a load of tripe.Irrespective of his love for a game that I also love, the man is a simpleton who aptly demonstrates the superficial level of Journalistic/Commentary talent available in the Football pool in this country.Yet you rate Caro. :droy: multiplied infinity.

Caro > Fossie any day of the week IMO.

Yes, I like Football therefore I must like Craig Foster and agree with all he says as he is pro-football... What a load of tripe.Irrespective of his love for a game that I also love, the man is a simpleton who aptly demonstrates the superficial level of Journalistic/Commentary talent available in the Football pool in this country. Yet you rate Caro. :droy: multiplied infinity.

Caro > Fossie any day of the week IMO.

fuck no

• Like 1

I agree he can be like that, but Sheedy's repeated ignorance needed to be challenged..

Especially, since most of the self serving AFL and mainstream media are unwilling to criticise anything to do with 'our game'.

One’s opinion of Craig Foster aside, the real issue is, and always has been, an institutionalised attitude held by some of Kevin Sheedy’s ilk towards the game of football.  The fact that such views perpetuate the stereotype that football is a foreign sport exclusively for migrants and all things un-Australian, serves no other purpose than to marginalise the game and stifle its’ growth.

Also, the fact that Sheedy can sit in front of cameras and microphones and utter such dribble, with the belief that his words won’t be challenged, further demonstrates his and others like him, contempt for the sport we love. Furthermore, when such views are conveyed like the way it has, it reaffirms this negative stereotype which unfortunately passes onto the next generation, particularly those who are incapable of independent thought.  Meaning that football fans like us, will more than likely have to deal with this rubbish once again.

I don’t agree with Foz all the time, but his article, and to some extent Andrew Durante’s response, reflects a lot of the views and frustrations held by a lot of football fans.  Because we’ve been there before, and the sad truth is that we’ll probably be there again when someone tries to disrespect football.  And the reality is I don’t see many people out there in the mainstream media taking issue with Sheedy’s words and I think it’s time football should be able to stand on its’ feet in response to these types of remarks.

The truth is, what was said about WSW, could very well have been said about Melbourne Heart.  I wonder if we would be as dismissive if Sheedy labelled Melbourne Heart as the club for “boat people?”  I would like to think not.

Edited by Semper Cor
  • Like 2

haha if you think Craig Foster is anything close to a journalist then take your :droy: X infinity and add an unbroken loop of these as well  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

• Like 2

haha if you think Craig Foster is anything close to a journalist then take your :droy: X infinity and add an unbroken loop of these as well  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

"Journalistic/Commentary talent", but whatever. Sure we can argue this further over a beer one day rather than here.

Lol probably the best post on these forums for a while.

That said

Fozzie > Caro.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

They sure know how to run things these Greeks whether it be a Soccer Club, Scratchie Card Business, Souvlaki Chain or even an entire Country.

Pretty uncalled for.

Sorry, I forgot that it was only us Anglos that are allowed to be Racially Sterotyped on here...

And this was in reference to South Melbourne (Which you know all about) attempting to take away "Our Club" forever from 80-90% of the posters on here and hand it to on specfic "Inactive Footballwise" Ethnic Sub Section of Melbourne.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 4

They sure know how to run things these Greeks whether it be a Soccer Club, Scratchie Card Business, Souvlaki Chain or even an entire Country.

Pretty uncalled for.

Sorry,

I forgot that it was only us Anglos were allowed to be Racially Sterotyped on here...

You're all anglos to us blak fullas ;)

• Like 1

A new take on the meaning of IPL...from the HAL web-site. I can't make up my mind whether this is a spoof or not...

00069752-leadimage.jpg

A-League veteran Dean Heffernan looks set to join the Western Sydney Wanderers next year on a one year deal according to media reports.

The 33-year –old played in all but five matches for Perth Glory in the 2012-13 season as they made a run into the Hyundai A-League Finals before spending the past month playing for Dapto Dandaloo in the Illawarra Premier League.

The IPL club were thankful of Heffernan’s contributions in his limited time in the side as they wished him well with his new club on their Facebook page yesterday.

“Dapto Dandaloo Fury would like to wish Dean Heffernan all the best with his recent signing at West Sydney Wanderers for the coming A-League season.”

“Have enjoyed the limited football we got to watch, see you at the end of the season.”

The two-time Socceroo has had a storied career having made three A-League Grand Finals while also having stints playing in Germany, England and China.

It is expected that last year’s Premiers Plate winners will announce the deal on Monday.

• 1 month later...

These fuckers would have to have some of the dumbest fans about. Their Facebook page just put up a picture of the crowd at their pre-season game against Macarthur Rams. Half the fucking comments are from daft cunts asking if it's on TV or for a link to a stream. 

BTW does anyone know when FOX1 will be replaying our game against LaTrobe Uni?