Melbourne Football

Western Sydney

LR9

At least they give a fuck.. More than half the people on this forum seem to be conditional supporters..

That seems like a just and fair statement based on a lot fact. :up:

Its true, I only support Heart for their success and to go along with the majority

• Like 2

Just came back from WSW v Canberra Olympic. Really good quality game, Canberra took it to them. HT was 1-1, ended up 3-1 win for Wanderers. Canberra probably could have scored a couple more though. WSW's defence was average at best.

Good crowd, probably close on 750 present.  RBB being hektik madkuntz and lighting flares, chanting 'lets go fucking mental' was humorous.

Good souvlaki provided by Canberra Olympic too. Good night in all, proved the potential positives of an A-league club in Canberra for sure.

Edited by Che
  • Like 3

Penrith Panthers fail in bold bid to buy A-League club Western Sydney Wanderers

602549-ono.jpg

Shinji Ono and the Wanderers are an attractive side. Picture: Philip HillyardSource: Philip Hillyard / DailyTelegraph

PHIL Gould and his Penrith Panthers have failed in a secret bid to buy A-League super club, the Western Sydney Wanderers.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal the Panthers recently lodged an expression of interest with UBS, the global financial services firm in charge of selling the club for up to $15 million.

A-League boss David Gallop immediately rejected the Panthers' interest, shutting down the potential for more conflict with his old rugby league arch-rival.

"Why would we contemplate selling the Wanderers to a club from another code?" Gallop said Wednesday night.

"And while we are posing these questions, why would a club from another code want to invest their money and build up a rival?"

Being the face of rugby league in Sydney's West, Gould and his venture into enemy ranks will stun NRL bosses and diehard footy fans in the code's heartland.

League, soccer and AFL are involved in a fierce rivalry in the western Suburbs in junior development.

605178-gus-gould.jpg

"Personally I can't believe soccer was silly enough to say no to us," said Panthers supremo Warren Wilson, who confirmed the club's interest.

"They should have at least let us in the door and put a price on the table. We might have been the biggest bidder yet they've shut it down."

But Gallop is firm in his view that the Panthers have no right to be involved with Australia's hottest sporting franchise, currently owned by FFA.

The company UBS was appointed to appraise the market and potential buyers in Australia, Asia and Europe for last year's grand finalists.

A 50-page information document, titled Project Ono, was developed to provide prospective buyers with full insight of WSW financials, business plans, membership, sponsorship, playing roster and community engagement plans.

For prospective buyers to receive the document, FFA needed to approve its release and have interested parties sign a confidentiality deed.

Gallop refused to pass it on to the Panthers.

"The Wanderers sales process needs to not only achieve the right price, but the right owners," Gallop said.

"The community engagement remains a fundamental element of the club and we have given assurances to the fans that the name, colours and culture of the Wanderers will be protected in this process.

"We have to make decisions in the best interests of Australian football, the A-League competition and the Wanderers.

"We won't contemplate a sale to anyone who we believe can't align the community interests with the business interests."

Not that the Panthers would have been the first NRL club to dabble into the round ball game.

The Newcastle Knights and the Jets are a joint venture under the ownership of Nathan Tinkler. The Eels also once owned Parramatta Power in the National Soccer League.

Wilson says the Panthers were disappointed to be rejected without getting to a bidding stage.

"The simple scenario is that the Panthers Group is running a business and we look at all opportunities," he said.

"We're the tenant of a football field that gets used 12 times a year. If I could get it used 24 times a year, it's a more logical proposition to us."

Wilson insists the Panthers could have successfully run rugby league and A-League teams without clashing.

"It's no different to us owning Panthers Leagues Club and Glenbrook Bowling Club five minutes up the road," he said.

"I just thought, there's a business, does it make sense, can I make money out of it and would it add value to all our other assets?

"This wouldn't have affected our rugby league commitment at all. If I could find a baseball team that made a good profit I'd buy them.

"If I could find an ice-cream shop, and it made sense, I'd buy it.

"Would it have made money going forward? Who knows? Unfortunately I wasn't afforded the opportunity to look at their financial records." 

Whatever happened to Benched?

And for that matter Australia's worst dressed Ultra Llama AKA Mini?

Sup.

-----------------

Macarthur Rams vs WSW - 07/08/13 at Campbelltown Stadium

1157478_392310250870732_2119541223_n.jpg

Canberra Olympic vs WSW - 14/8/2013 - some field in Canberra

1002195_465138996933595_404188124_n.jpg

1157654_394695900632167_1854743320_n.jpg

Wellington Phoenix vs WSW - 21/8/13 at Fairfax Stadium, Seven Hills

563050_10153152429880527_844526780_n.jpg

539075_397024413732649_945031869_n.jpg

• Like 3

Have a medal mate, everyone in the crowd was laughing at you for setting off flares at a preseason game instead of watching your side struggle against a local team. Also, Grow a dick.

Edited by Che
  • Like 1

Howdy fellas.

Yep, still around. 

Glad the season isn't far away. 

So, a serious question. Has the signing of Harry increased the interest among your mates who aren't members in becoming members?

Oh, and Che, to be fair, it was freezing in Canberra. Had to stay warm some way....

Edited by Benched

Howdy fellas.

Yep, still around. 

So, a serious question. Has the signing of Harry increased the interest among your mates who aren't members in becoming members?

Oh, and Che, to be fair, it was freezing in Canberra. Had to stay warm some way....

Hey mate. Good to see you are still around. Apologies if this makes no sense. I am pretty drunk right now lol.

Harry I would say has had a mixed reaction. When the season starts proper we will see how effective signing harry has been.

• Like 1

Have a medal mate, everyone in the crowd was laughing at you for setting off flares at a preseason game instead of watching your side struggle against a local team. Also, Grow a dick.

1174803_230095850474436_508158268_n.jpg

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Howdy fellas.

Yep, still around. 

Hey mate. Good to see you are still around. Apologies if this makes no sense. I am pretty drunk right now lol.

Harry I would say has had a mixed reaction. When the season starts proper we will see how effective signing harry has been.

Lol. Totally have no recollection of writing this. Very impressed at the coherency of this post considering. Shame I was not quite as eloquent in real life last night!

• Like 1

1174803_230095850474436_508158268_n.jpg

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You clearly missed the distinction between struggling against a local side and comfortably winning against a local side...

Just came back from WSW v Canberra Olympic. Really good quality game, Canberra took it to them. HT was 1-1, ended up 3-1 win for Wanderers. Canberra probably could have scored a couple more though. WSW's defence was average at best.

Good crowd, probably close on 750 present.  RBB being hektik madkuntz and lighting flares, chanting 'lets go fucking mental' was humorous.

Good souvlaki provided by Canberra Olympic too. Good night in all, proved the potential positives of an A-league club in Canberra for sure.

Apparently official crowd figure was 1900. 

Was poor the following week though when the Jets played the Canberra Allstars and only 700 rocked up. Don't know if the crowd difference was WSW supporters or the fact an Allstars team don't have their own supporters.

Lol – Apparently Man City and one other EPL are interested in buying WSW.

Looks like everything is going exactly according to the Northern Spirit Script:

Initial solid crowds and media praised replaced by disinterested fans whilst a European Club pulls all the strings.

Initial solid crowds and media praised replaced by disinterested fans whilst a European Club pulls all the strings.

Man City have also recently invested in the new New York franchise to join the MLS in 2015, adds a bit more credibility to this rumor.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2402076/Manchester-City-consider-9m-swoop-Australian-Western-Sydney-Wanderers.html