• All Men's matches at Allianz Stadium
• Central Coast v Newcastle on Friday
• Sydney v Western Sydney on Saturday
• Melbourne City have the bye

Full Fixture should be coming soon 

Still persisting with this then?

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Still persisting with this then?

It is what replaced the ALM grand final Sydney decision, this will be the last year of it unless they announce they want to continue it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/07/2024 at 11:42 AM, Zanty said:

It is what replaced the ALM grand final Sydney decision, this will be the last year of it unless they announce they want to continue it.

I'm quivering with pre-season excitement at today's A-League message...especially as we have the bye that round.

14 hours ago, jw1739 said:

With three months to go before the season starts and incomplete squads all over the place I'd say it's pointless to make predictions.

Yeah it's a bit early for predictions.

12 hours ago, fensaddler said:

I'm not optimistic about our league position, but I hope we take the opportunity to give some of our talented youngsters a run out. I want to see something good for the future.

I think we'll be around the 6th place atm, but hopefully we'll see some being subbed before the 85th minute.

19 hours ago, fensaddler said:

I'm not optimistic about our league position, but I hope we take the opportunity to give some of our talented youngsters a run out. I want to see something good for the future.

This is the only reason we exist 

• Like 1

• jw1739 changed the title to Season 2024-25
3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I wish that we had pre-season matches like we used to in the earlier days of the club. Two were always against other A-League clubs, and then various other clubs and representative XIs.

Wouldn’t mind a trip to Somers St :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I wish that we had pre-season matches like we used to in the earlier days of the club. Two were always against other A-League clubs, and then various other clubs and representative XIs.

Damn I forgot about that. It really shows where the league is at 

6 hours ago, citypool said:

Damn I forgot about that. It really shows where the league is at 

The league? What’s stopping them from doing this and acting like a real local football club in preseason?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mr MO said:

The league? What’s stopping them from doing this and acting like a real local football club in preseason?

Too right. My Tier 6 home town club in England has been playing a couple of preseason matches a week for a little while now - advertised with opponents and KO times, both home and away.

It's not rocket science.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, moops said:

Roar v Glory tomorrow

Jets v WU Wens

There's at least some football on to watch, nothing on paramount + about it.

https://10play.com.au/australia-cup/articles/australia-cup-2024-playoffs-preview/tpa240603ywavj

Yeah I wish people would get around the Australia cup more. We don't have p and r so this tournament really should get more attention 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

Fixtures look pretty rank. Only three home matches in 2024, and one of those the derby which I avoid anyway. Won't make a game until 30th November...

Bloody awful would be my term. But no need to rush renewing my membership...likewise I won't make a game until 30th November.

1 hour ago, neio said:

So in the first 12 rounds, we have 2 byes?

I know fixturing seems easier than it is, but in a 13 team comp how does that work 

I don't think it would be too difficult to come up with something that is somewhat regular. Is APL determined to wreck what's left of the League? 

Very, very disappointing. I should write to our FRG about it...oh, I forgot, it's still defining its terms of reference.

• Sad 1

Basically it's gonna be a rough season with the bye found, clubs having no money and the Paramount deal still going.

I'm hoping the season after we get: Canberra in to make it 14 teams, a new TV deal either YouTube or Stan and the clubs really trying to engage fans by trying different things 

• jw1739 pinned this topic
9 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Melbourne Victory requested for the Christmas Derby home match as their top priority. 

So we cave in? Fuck, we hosted the first proper Derby and the first Christmas Derby. Does tradition stand for nothing?

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

So we cave in? Fuck, we hosted the first proper Derby and the first Christmas Derby. Does tradition stand for nothing?

I think that you have your answer.

Also, why did MVC want the Xmas derby? Obviously financial reasons which has raised my eyebrows as 777 Partners continue to sink.

We are going to enjoy some youth players this season but we will be let down by more seasoned players - Lopane, Nabbout, Leggo, Urga,Talbot. 

A fair few youngsters made their debut against Perth but just are not ready for this level yet.

We will finish 6 to 10 somewhere.

36 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

We are going to enjoy some youth players this season but we will be let down by more seasoned players - Lopane, Nabbout, Leggo, Urga,Talbot. 

A fair few youngsters made their debut against Perth but just are not ready for this level yet.

Top 13 by my reckoning.

I will watch the games purely to see the development of players. Although, I do not have great faith in Vidmar's coaching.

12 hours ago, Mr MO said:

We are going to enjoy some youth players this season but we will be let down by more seasoned players - Lopane.

Lopane is an interesting one has he's only 20 so still one of younger players in the squad yet feels older 

12 hours ago, Mr MO said:

I think a lot of questions need to be answered. Why were senior players not playing? The club clearly does not take this competition seriously - you don't pitchfork a bunch of teenagers into a match like this - one or two at a time at the most. Our non-senior players do not even play in the top NPL league - how the hell are they expected to go up against Perth? Wong was playing mainly Futsal until a year or so ago.

Petrillo and Vidmar have a lot of questions to answer (but I'm not holding my breath).

16 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I think a lot of questions need to be answered. Why were senior players not playing? The club clearly does not take this competition seriously - you don't pitchfork a bunch of teenagers into a match like this - one or two at a time at the most. Our non-senior players do not even play in the top NPL league - how the hell are they expected to go up against Perth? Wong was playing mainly Futsal until a year or so ago.

Petrillo and Vidmar have a lot of questions to answer (but I'm not holding my breath).

The only senior players missing were: Leckie, Uga and Young. Of those three only Leckie would have made a difference and maybe Young. I don't rate Uga. So the real question is why does the City squad have so few quality senior players? There are still 3 visa spot left and will they be used?

Also in the game against Perth, the commentators said that City have not had a friendly at all - it has all been intra-club. That made me spill my drink. That is just a bigger question to ask to Petrillo & Vidmar.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, HughJass said:

Lopane is an interesting one has he's only 20 so still one of younger players in the squad yet feels older 

IMO He’s not showed anything after plenty of game time. He’s not fast, handling speed and ball control are below par for a 20 yo at this level. Besides he’s not really working his socks of either. All just too meh for me.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, citypool said:

Sorry to say but I see victory dominating this season they just brought a striker from the Greek super league 

PK again may have inherited the best squad in the A-League this season. If he can get them playing like we were during those seasons then yes will probably dominate...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, citypool said:

Sorry to say but I see victory dominating this season they just brought a striker from the Greek super league 

Goal scoring record not that impressive and reports from Greece will be getting paid $600k a year see if he's worth it 

2 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

PK again may have inherited the best squad in the A-League this season. If he can get them playing like we were during those seasons then yes will probably dominate...

Just like we did during the covid years, Victory seems to outspend the league on paper. 

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

Just like we did during the covid years, Victory seems to outspend the league on paper. 

It seems they have a better budget/squad than us that's for sure. Let's just hope for not a complete role reversal of the 2 teams achievements during the covid seasons...

• Like 2