Melbourne Football

City vs Nix, Saturday 9th March, 7.00 p.m. (note amended KO time)

15 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Hope springs eternal that we might turn up and get something out of this, but we're going to need as many back as possible, and the right formation and approach.

We're 17 points behind them on the table...

• Sad 2

Let's get back to the actual City way of lining up. One DM, an inverted FB playing midfield when not attacking, and two CMs one on left and one right. Fwd to press CBs only. We've gone too far away from heat we used to do.

Positives, we're at home, it's a Saturday afternoon, and we might have Tilio, Arslan and Leckie all good to go. It's still a big ask given recent form and against a very decent and well organised Nix team, who are deservedly top. Chance to rock up on a holiday weekend and back our team, for better or worse....

• jw1739 changed the title to City vs Nix, Saturday 9th March, 7.00 p.m. (note amended KO time)
37 minutes ago, moops said:

Tilio has done his hamstring during training, will be out for at least 4 weeks and will miss the Olyroos.

Lecks will be back starting.

Ffs! We really cannot catch a break this season can we...😒 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Ffs! We really cannot catch a break this season can we...😒 

Indeed, it is that kind of season. But this is where the club has to dig deep and needs to have the Academy with players ready to step up. If you follow the EPL you'll see how Liverpool (and I'm no fan!) have just had to do that, and the teenagers stood up and did the club proud.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Indeed, it is that kind of season. But this is where the club has to dig deep and needs to have the Academy with players ready to step up. If you follow the EPL you'll see how Liverpool (and I'm no fan!) have just had to do that, and the teenagers stood up and did the club proud.

We released a few that could replace Tilio. I assume that Jakolis is starting.

24 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Maybe we do but there is a reluctance to play them?

Politidis looks good when he comes on, Caputo can't get a sniff even with Macca off form, Hall is 25 and should be released, but he just hasn't had any time at all in the last 4 years and then there's yoof we let go who are carving it up for other teams.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moops said:

Maybe we do but there is a reluctance to play them?

Politidis looks good when he comes on, Caputo can't get a sniff even with Macca off form, Hall is 25 and should be released, but he just hasn't had any time at all in the last 4 years and then there's yoof we let go who are carving it up for other teams.

You're so right.

21 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Indeed.

My impression is that it is easier for a teenager to start in the Premier League than in the A League. Now as to why that would be I’ve no idea, but it seems to be a difficult environment for younger players to get a chance.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, D.B. Cooper said:

Indeed.

My impression is that it is easier for a teenager to start in the Premier League than in the A League. Now as to why that would be I’ve no idea, but it seems to be a difficult environment for younger players to get a chance.

It may have to do with the wage cap, there is a minimum spend?

CCM are the benchmark obviously, they had a rough period, but they keep churning out the yoof and they sold players nearly equal to us last year.

1 hour ago, moops said:

It may have to do with the wage cap, there is a minimum spend?

CCM are the benchmark obviously, they had a rough period, but they keep churning out the yoof and they sold players nearly equal to us last year.

There is a minimum spend, yes, 85% of the maximum I think. But that applies to the senior squad and over a season. It doesn't preclude Academy/Scholarship players playing in the seniors on any particular week or indeed in every match in the season.

IMO we have had three coaches in succession who have been ridiculously stubborn in their reluctance to make substitutions. The situation with JMac so out of form and yet Caputo can barely get on the field is ludicrous.

As for the EPL, just as it's 7 levels or so above us in players so it is with managers. They know what they're doing and ours don't.

In terms of our Academy, do we have one really exciting young player who the fans are just aching to see on the field in the A-League? Jeez, we don't even report on the NPL matches for fear of stepping on the toes of Football Victoria. What a heap of shit.

Caputo is good, but no Good or Leckie, on top of Tilio out, is pretty rough. Means we've got Nuno Reis in the heart of defence, which frankly frightens me. Can't see us getting much out of this.

Really fear we're watching the end of Matt Leckie's stellar career.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Don't have a good feeling about this one. I said it a few weeks ago now that I think you can definitely write this season off and start focusing on next season. We are going to lose a few players and I feel that you are right @fensaddler in that we are watching the end of Leckies career.

Will be interesting to see what happens with Tilio. Rumour has it that this loan was to prove to Celtic he is worth pursuing. So far in the games he has played he only lit it up once and is now injured. Not the greatest for him and for me it's staring to spell Arzani all over again. 

Really hope the boys can put something together and get the win tonight but I unfortunately have my doubts 😔

• Sad 1

Anyone know where the "active" is at? There is like 10 people there?

Wellington have brought more..

1 minute ago, haz said:

The Welly away bay has more people than active. 

Litteraly hit submit as you must have 😂 it's actually embarrassing. They have almost filled the away bay..

Slow defence is a bit scary, Uga did well to get back when they countered.

4 minutes ago, D.B. Cooper said:

Decent half, not quite creating “that chance” though.

Caputo making a good fist of it. 

Yeah, maybe that through ball to Jakolis was the best chance near the end of the half.

• Like 1