Melbourne Football

Round 15 vs Adelaide 12th January, Thursday

kingofhearts

I take no comfort in correctly predicting the score but really anything else would have surprised me.

Positive:

Bruno scored a goal

Negatives:

high risk low return football, high possession low penetration low reward football

poor defending for the first goal, no, absent defending

leading the league for balls into the box but they can best be described as mostly harmless. 33 balls into the box, 2 or 3 serious chances

Lucky to finish 5th I think, team has lost form and direction, lack intensity and belief. Every opponent plays the same way against us, it continues to be successful as we continue to play the same way with no solutions 

Yet another wasted season

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 2

Just now, fensaddler said:

We were serious contenders all last season.  We played decent football.  We scored goals.  We were good to watch.  None of those this season

Might want to go through the old threads on here from last season  mate

• Like 1

I'm amazed that people are having a dig at the salary cap fillers, whilst the big earners are not performing. If the likes of Rose and Kamau could cross and pass properly they wouldn't be playing in Australia.

We are playing with 10 men as long as Cahill is on the field, very poor first touches, touches and turns are setting attacks up. He doesn't work, doesn't run, it is not getting involved and it just plain lazy.

Colazo, clearly doesn't want to be here.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Mr MO said:

I'm amazed that people are having a dig at the salary cap fillers, whilst the big earners are not performing. If the likes of Rose and Kamau could cross and pass properly they wouldn't be playing Australia.

We are playing with 10 men as long as Cahill is on the field, very poor first touches, touches and turns are setting attacks up. He doesn't work, doesn't run, it is not getting involved and it just plain lazy.

Colazo, clearly doesn't want to be here.

Cahill complete passenger tonight. As you say, for most of the game we are playing with 10 men. A shadow of last season and yet more expensive squad.

Our lack of forward movement is disgusting, it's as if our forwards expect the ball to end up with the keeper and don't even bother making runs. This is also causing Bratten to become the forum whipping boy but our tactics are stifling any attacking creativity he has. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rayv36 said:

Our lack of forward movement is disgusting, it's as if our forwards expect the ball to end up with the keeper and don't even bother making runs. This is also causing Bratten to become the forum whipping boy but our tactics are stifling any attacking creativity he has. 

Agree, everyone's first choice is the back pass

I wish people would just leave heart alone. It's gone and buried. 

There is nothing about this club that's heart or SOUL. 

It's got money and that's about it.

Unfortunately you can't buy everything especially desire and passion.  

Plastic team that is just playing ordinary if not just plain old bad football. 

Need another drink.  

5 minutes ago, Dezy94 said:

The saddest thing was you could see it coming. Dominate possession, miss chances/poor balls in the box, then give up a goal on the break. Brattan's been consistently below par for several weeks in my view. 

We can say this about every game and every season tbh

• Like 1

Bouzanis- shot to save ratio atrocious. Confidence way too high.

franjic- didn't overlap kamau and get any good crosses in. Much better right backs in the league elsewhere.

tongyik- looks nice on the ball, especially for a neutral. Poor defensively, switches off in key moments and was ball watching for second goal. Lucky cirio missed the 1-1 as would've been another time he was caught out. 

Jacobson- not his best game. Looks as though he could break down with injury again soon. Didn't Marshall defence well at all. 

Rose-. Not at fault for any goals. Too many wayward passes. Not at level of Clisby, garrucio or Zullo.

malik- part of a slow midfield. Ball movement is too slow and lacks invention. Uninspiring.

brattan- looks to be a key part of the problem. Was good early in the season when he had energy and was pressing but looks slow and cluggy. Plays in right back position way too often because he can't find himself in any space in attacking half. Part of the reason midfield looks slow. 

Cahill- cannot remember him getting the ball at his feet or making 1 pass. Very poor game. Wasn't even an aerial threat. Doesn't link well with fornaroli at all and you can see him questioning fornarolis decision every time he picks ball up and decides to shoot from 20 yards.

kamau- form improving. Great ball for goal. Looks dangerous and finds himself in good positions but too inconsistent with deliveries. Doesn't look a danger to score.

fornaroli- great finish. Not an inspiring captain. The style of play is confused with him and Cahill and they aren't a good link at all. To get the best out of him everything needs to be through the middle to his feet but now we go wide often to cross to Cahill. Minimising his effectiveness.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dezy94 said:

The saddest thing was you could see it coming. Dominate possession, miss chances/poor balls in the box, then give up a goal on the break. Brattan's been consistently below par for several weeks in my view. 

Could see it coming in the first few minutes despite the goal. Everytime we start with low intensity we lose the game

Fucking frustrating.

As uninspiring as we were, I can't get past that disallowed goal. Fucking refereeing in this league is a joke. 2-2 draw.

Brats and Colazo have been struggling and that goal would have done a lot for this confidence, great pass and finish.

Really liked Kamau and Tongyik's games. No one else impressed me.

2 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I saw a team pushing and pressing to win the game, almost to our detriment with the counter attacking goal we copped. I too don't understand all the effort or intensity talk. 

I just see naive positioning, pressing at the wrong time, not closing down with that extra bit of effort, probably related to constantly being one step behind. Not hustling for the second ball enough, moving the ball too slowly with slow ball movement

15 minutes ago, JC22 said:

Don't quite get people saying we're lazy or the players don't care. I'm seeing plenty of effort - it's just not working.

Agree with this. Anger at players supposedly not giving 100% is understandable after a result like that but really our problem is much more fundamental than that. We play the wrong game style. All season there has been an obvious emphasis on maintaining possession and using our wingers or left/right backs to cross into Cahill in the box. As has been mentioned, this minimises Bruno's effectiveness, who is already struggling enough to gel with Cahill, which is made even more difficult by the fact that he is essentially playing as a central midfielder 90% of the time. Our wingers and backs lack the ability to tee up our strikers in the box often enough and so opposition teams are able to plan for this and get us on the counter, particularly late in games when we throw numbers in a bid to get a goal if required. We should be far more direct with our passing and trust our players to beat opponents one on one. We also leak far too many goals, which in my view is down to the fact that we rely on Jakobsen far too much. I hope I'm wrong and our style clicks come Finals, but at this stage I doubt it and the greatest shame of all is that if we don't get it together it will be another season when a great City team on paper underperforms and misses on qualification for Asia.

Just my view, would welcome alternative perspectives from others. 

Edited by Dezy94

19 minutes ago, RedAndWhitePride said:

Talking about the league mate. 

And yes, it was awesome winning the FFA Cup final but truth of the matter is we were starting to waver around then in the league and unfortunately haven't made any inroads since.

It's almost impossible to believe that after winning our first trophy, which was a major achievement and a great step forward, we could be sitting here in January wondering where our season has gone.  There was so much promise early in the season, we looked to be picking up from our best football last season.  And there was so much promised with apparently classy signings, even if we looked undercooked in defence.  But since that final we've gone backwards, and we are at serious risk of finishing lower in the league and falling out at the first round of the play-offs, even if we manage to limp into them.  Seriously, would you back us away from home in the finals to any of the top six?

It's not lack of effort, it's lack of shape and bad tactics.  We're horribly slow in transition, we go backwards too often, and we keep possession to no outcome.  We create half chances but convert little.  Heads are dropping on and off the pitch and we look a shambles.  JVS going looks unlikely to be the circuit breaker we needed.  

Seriously, to see this season as progress on the last, for all its frustrations, we need to see big changes somewhere.

Almost better to over achieve as a small club than to fail with the resources we have.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

I just see naive positioning, pressing at the wrong time, not closing down with that extra bit of effort, probably related to constantly being one step behind. Not hustling for the second ball enough, moving the ball too slowly with slow ball movement

Yes I agree it's the perception that we aren't trying due to the wrong style of play and the system we struggle to execute. My point is the players are trying though. 

2 minutes ago, Dezy94 said:

Agree with this. Anger at players supposedly not giving 100% is understandable after a result like that but really our problem is much more fundamental than that. We play the wrong game style. All season there has been an obvious emphasis on maintaining possession and using our wingers or left/right backs to cross into Cahill in the box. As has been mentioned, this minimises Bruno's effectiveness, who is already struggling enough to gel with Cahill, which is made even more difficult by the fact that he is essentially playing as a central midfielder 90% of the time. Our wingers and backs lack the ability to tee up our strikers in the box often enough and so opposition teams are able to plan for this and get us on the counter, particularly late in games when we throw numbers in a bid to get a goal if required. We should be far more direct with our passing and trust our players to beat opponents one on one. We also leak far too many goals, which in my view is down to the fact that we rely on Jakobsen far too much. I hope I'm wrong and our style clicks come Finals, but at this stage I doubt it and the greatest shame of all is that if we don't get it together it will be another season when a great City team on paper underperforms and misses on qualification for Asia.

Out of likes but very much agree.

5 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

It's almost impossible to believe that after winning our first trophy, which was a major achievement and a great step forward, we could be sitting here in January wondering where our season has gone.  There was so much promise early in the season, we looked to be picking up from our best football last season.  And there was so much promised with apparently classy signings, even if we looked undercooked in defence.  But since that final we've gone backwards, and we are at serious risk of finishing lower in the league and falling out at the first round of the play-offs, even if we manage to limp into them.  Seriously, would you back us away from home in the finals to any of the top six?

It's not lack of effort, it's lack of shape and bad tactics.  We're horribly slow in transition, we go backwards too often, and we keep possession to no outcome.  We create half chances but convert little.  Heads are dropping on and off the pitch and we look a shambles.  JVS going looks unlikely to be the circuit breaker we needed.  

Seriously, to see this season as progress on the last, for all its frustrations, we need to see big changes somewhere.

Almost better to over achieve as a small club than to fail with the resources we have.

This totally. JVS has instilled in the team old style, boring and unproductive possession with back passing and slow build-up football. Valkanis does not seem able to re-energize them. And we also have to suffer Cahill who thinks he is the elder statesman and does not fit in the team in playing style, position or enthusiasm. And we have a dummy goalkeeper.

Until we start fast attacking and using the ball skills our players have we will not get results.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Yes I agree it's the perception that we aren't trying due to the wrong style of play and the system we struggle to execute. My point is the players are trying though. 

Effort is not the same as intensity, there's no questioning the effort but it produces low intensity football that creates few problems for opponents. Intensity is sticking close to your opponent, pressing with intent and strength, winning the ball back quickly in dangerous areas that keeps the pressure on your opponents, moving the ball quickly...

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1