Melbourne Football

Warren Joyce. As predicted by Serb Hair Dresser.. Goneski

Dylan

1 hour ago, jeffplz said:

I really feel sorry for him as a man but he's got to go.

Normally I would too. If he had delivered improved on-field performance as a result of his culture change tactics then it would have all been worthwhile. But that has not happened. Instead his focus on performance on the training track rather than on the field has seen a whole lot of perfectly good players leave the club and our star striker suspended. Only Daniel Arzani has come though the youth ranks since he arrived, and Arzani was not a Joyce product anyway. No other City Academy player has come through to hold down a regular starting place in the A-League line-up - Atkinson is the closest, but he has had an indifferent season IMO.

I'm afraid that all I can see is every single metric further from the desired mark than before he arrived, and therefore he has to go for the good of the club.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dylan said:

If it’s true what’s the point of keeping him until seasons end?

Pay out figure.

Does he walk without further damaging himself, or does he hang on with the playing group not behind him? 

Some managers (subjective) would only hang on purely for a better pay out figure. You couldn't imagine a whole host of clubs lining up for Joyce's signature after his dreadful time in Oz. 

5 hours ago, Dylan said:

If it’s true what’s the point of keeping him until seasons end?

Removing him before his contract ends implies that his appointment was a mistake.

Which in turn implies that CFG made a mistake to back Joyce in all the bust ups he had with players and coaches that he didn't like.

By letting him stay on until the seasons end CFG can spin some shit like: 

"Warren played in integral role in the growth and evolution of Melbourne City and will be missed by all those at the club. His tireless efforts have laid the foundation for an exciting future at Melbourne City and we thank him for his commitment to the club and his commitment to playing the posession based football that is synonymous with CFG"

Edited by Jacques Le Cube

5 hours ago, Jacques Le Cube said:

Removing him before his contract ends implies that his appointment was a mistake.

Which in turn implies that CFG made a mistake to back Joyce in all the bust ups he had with players and coaches that he didn't like.

By letting him stay on until the seasons end CFG can spin some shit like: 

"Warren played in integral role in the growth and evolution of Melbourne City and will be missed by all those at the club. His tireless efforts have laid the foundation for an exciting future at Melbourne City and we thank him for his commitment to the club and his commitment to playing the posession based football that is synonymous with CFG"

Keep an eye on that farewell I think CFG will be on here and will snap that right up. 

3 hours ago, Dylan said:

Milicic in after Women’s World Cup thanks

I've heard Kewells name mentioned, don't shoot the messenger!! 

27 minutes ago, AntiScum said:

Keep an eye on that farewell I think CFG will be on here and will snap that right up. 

I've heard Kewells name mentioned, don't shoot the messenger!! 

Would love Kewell got experience young in manager age enthusiastic would be engaging with fans, would be on board with this 100% complete opposite to Joyce. Would be much better at man Management as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CityBoyz said:

Would love Kewell got experience young in manager age enthusiastic would be engaging with fans, would be on board with this 100% complete opposite to Joyce. Would be much better at man Management as well. 

Would be much more relaxed in Oz and would do a decent job I think. Didn't set the world on fire coaching in the UK but has done an OK job. Knows the league well enough to be able to draw the right players providing there isn't any interference from CFG 

Let's have a competition on who can write the most accurate departing article sentence for when he leaves the club

"Melbourne City would like to thank Warren Joyce for his efforts during his time at the club, earning our highest ever club finish and developing wonderkid Daniel Arzani over the course of his management."

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

Why Kewell? Just another inexperienced young coach. Don't want another Aloisi.

Next.

The best coach in the league atm (Popa) did an apprenticeship in the UK similar to Kewell. I'd take Harry any day, he over achieved with Crawley and was doing well under the circumstances at Notts County until everyone turned on him after an interview, they've only got back on track after some huge investment in January.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mus-28 said:

The best coach in the league atm (Popa) did an apprenticeship in the UK similar to Kewell. I'd take Harry any day, he over achieved with Crawley and was doing well under the circumstances at Notts County until everyone turned on him after an interview, they've only got back on track after some huge investment in January.

Poppa is a proven successful manager. I wouldn't say the same for Kewell.

26 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

Poppa is a proven successful manager. I wouldn't say the same for Kewell.

His had 3 management jobs and as stated Mus did pretty well. Also did relatively well at Watford. How can you say his not proven? 

I think you forgot that Popa was an absolute train wreck in Turkey where he lasted 8 or 9 games. 

Edited by AntiScum

17 minutes ago, AntiScum said:

His had 3 management jobs and as stated Mus did pretty well. Also did relatively well at Watford. How can you say his not proven? 

I think you forgot that Popa was an absolute train wreck in Turkey where he lasted 8 or 9 games. 

Poppa was a train wreck as he arrived in a train that was already wrecked. I just feel Poppa knows the A-league like no other and is currently the best Oz coach. I would take Rudan over Kewell as well. Killed it every season with Syd United and playing some nice football with he NIx. Imagine what e can do with a club like ours.

14 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

Poppa was a train wreck as he arrived in a train that was already wrecked. I just feel Poppa knows the A-league like no other and is currently the best Oz coach. I would take Rudan over Kewell as well. Killed it every season with Syd United and playing some nice football with he NIx. Imagine what e can do with a club like ours.

Imagine what a club like ours can do to him...

As for Kewell - senior coaching record of 29.6% wins. No thanks.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Imagine what a club like ours can do to him...

As for Kewell - senior coaching record of 29.6% wins. No thanks.

Have a look at the teams his coached!! When owners wont fund players. People read too much into stats!!

You`re taking a pot shot at Kewells record you might want to Google Joyces record!!!

22 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

No different to Kewell with the train wrecks his walked into. Rudan is Western Melbourne bound so you can rule him out!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AntiScum said:

Have a look at the teams his coached!! When owners wont fund players. People read too much into stats!!

You`re taking a pot shot at Kewells record you might want to Google Joyces record!!!

No different to Kewell with the train wrecks his walked into. Rudan is Western Melbourne bound so you can rule him out!!

So do you or do you not want to take into account a potential City coach's previous record?

League and League Finals records since Day 0:
Melbourne Heart/Melbourne City: Win% 35.6
Melbourne City only: Win% 42.2%
Warren Joyce era: Win% 44.9.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

So do you or do you not want to take into account a potential City coach's previous record?

League and League Finals records since Day 0:
Melbourne Heart/Melbourne City: Win% 35.6
Melbourne City only: Win% 42.2%
Warren Joyce era: Win% 44.9.

Compare apples with apples, apart from Watford (which was a yoof roll) the clubs Kewell has coached have had absolutely zero funds available to him!!! 

The standard of league 2 in the UK would be on par with the standard of the A League. 

50 minutes ago, AntiScum said:

Compare apples with apples, apart from Watford (which was a yoof roll) the clubs Kewell has coached have had absolutely zero funds available to him!!! 

The standard of league 2 in the UK would be on par with the standard of the A League. 

We have no funds to spend either, remember our capped budget for marquee players and second grade visa players.

40 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

We have no funds to spend either, remember our capped budget for marquee players and second grade visa players.

Trying coaching in the lower leagues in the UK where a budget is a few hundred a week compared to just under 4m a year

Edited by AntiScum

1 minute ago, Tony999 said:

Don't know were to put this, but faq me, do we ever organise to play with anyone?!? Surely, CFG could pounce on something like this and try and sell some memberships

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/epl-giants-liverpool-could-face-melbourne-victory-at-mcg-this-year-20190226-p510cl.html

Well it's not like we have any connections to a huge EPL club is it...

oh wait...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rass said:

Well it's not like we have any connections to a huge EPL club is it...

oh wait...

Or indeed any other club such as New York City, Girona, Athletico Torque, Yokohama F. Marinos, Sichuan Jiuniu...

Never mind, Simon Pearce says just wait another five years and then you'll be so thankful for all the manna from heaven that CFG brings. Unless you're like those dickheads who live in Salford.