Melbourne Football

Season 23-24 Round 27 MC v WSW Fri 12 Jan 8.15pm

Le Hack

3 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Except his diabolical ball he gave away he been good. 

Eh, he didn’t concede from it. 

Even in his glory days at the Roar he was poor with his feet, so we’re gunna get some brain farts if the coaching is to play out from the back. 

How many more times is Talbot going to cross the ball high towards JMAC, who is on his own in the box surrounded. Maclaren doesn even attempt to move anymore he just stands in between to tall centre backs. 

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 2

I think this may have been mentioned here or in another thread but am I the only one concerned about how quickly Nabbout has come back into the squad? When he did his Achilles it was "season ending" 12 games into the season and he is back out there! I really hope he is ok and that he doesn't re injure himself!

I don't get how it wasn't a penalty, it was clear as hell. But let's not let that distract us from the fact that we could have played for another 90 minutes and not looked like scoring from open play. Very very pedestrian performance 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, neio said:

I don't get how it wasn't a penalty, it was clear as hell. But let's not let that distract us from the fact that we could have played for another 90 minutes and not looked like scoring from open play. Very very pedestrian performance 

He had to have seen the ball off Natels side. Which caused the ball to inadvertently hit Brillante in the arm? 

It was a very poor performance; we just didn't turn up to the game; maybe the team thought that it was at AAMI Park? JMac was invisible, aided by poor service. It was good to see Nabbout back, we'll be a different team with him and Leckie fit.

Does this mean that Natel will return to Brazil, or is he not an injury-replacement player?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

It was a very poor performance; we just didn't turn up to the game; maybe the team thought that it was at AAMI Park? JMac was invisible, aided by poor service. It was good to see Nabbout back, we'll be a different team with him and Leckie fit.

Does this mean that Natel will return to Brazil, or is he not an injury-replacement player?

If the coaching staff or players think that Jamie has a chance to header a high cross then I think we have problems. 

It is like the players are drones that just play to a system with no common sense. It is painful to watch at times.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, playmaker said:

My summary is that we got beaten by good tactics. They nullified everything and they just stopped us get out of the blocks.

WSW tacticians had the perfect plan and it was executed well.

Agree with this. Not that we couldn't have done things differently. But they certainly didn't allow us to play the same as we do against other teams. Their high press caused us problems. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

My understanding is he isn't an injury replacement player. He was just signed as a replacement for Nabbout and has his own spot in squad 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, neio said:

My understanding is he isn't an injury replacement player. He was just signed as a replacement for Nabbout and has his own spot in squad 

I now have no idea of Natel's status. It's not clear from the original announcement, which came so soon after Nabbout's injury that at the time I thought that it was a signing independent of anything to do with Nabbout - you just can't process a visa signing that quickly.

However, now I'm not sure because I have heard that he is leaving shortly and going back to Brazil.

11 hours ago, n i k o said:

Agree with this. Not that we couldn't have done things differently. But they certainly didn't allow us to play the same as we do against other teams. Their high press caused us problems. 

I think the point is that surely after a number of seasons of playing "the City way" we've realised that other clubs have worked out tactics to counter it, and that we need to have alternative tactics to mix in? It's just plain dumb not to do so. Further, when we do mix things up a bit we're a bloody good side, score freely, and are a joy to watch? Then, next match look like washing hanging on the line on a wet day.

It's not only the macro performance either. Individual repetitive moves like crossing in the air to Jmac when he's out-gunned are just crazy.

Does my poor head in.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I think the point is that surely after a number of seasons of playing "the City way" we've realised that other clubs have worked out tactics to counter it, and that we need to have alternative tactics to mix in? It's just plain dumb not to do so. Further, when we do mix things up a bit we're a bloody good side, score freely, and are a joy to watch? Then, next match look like washing hanging on the line on a wet day.

It's not only the macro performance either. Individual repetitive moves like crossing in the air to Jmac when he's out-gunned are just crazy.

Does my poor head in.

Exactly.

But we know they can change up their tactics as we saw with the Victory game, which IMO was a great game.

As you do, I fear there is an undercurrent to play the 'city way' no matter what which Vidmar indicated that in his first press conference.

26 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Exactly.

But we know they can change up their tactics as we saw with the Victory game, which IMO was a great game.

As you do, I fear there is an undercurrent to play the 'city way' no matter what which Vidmar indicated that in his first press conference.

There was an article released recently on social media which I can’t find now. Anyway the essence was that the City way isn’t so imposed as we might think, it’s a starting blue print or philosophy but adjusted to the quality and strength of the players with local managers supposedly having a lot of input. Let me look for it again.

Edit: https://x.com/forevermelbcity/status/1744484184129953841?s=46&t=qfPTnUlqTIYxODq1sbOhPQ

Edited by Mr MO

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Does my poor head in.

These dumb crosses was just Talbot or anyone else?

Galloway looks a lot better on RB than LB.

18 hours ago, n i k o said:

The high press caused us problems because our DMs struggled to get into a position to receive the ball and link forward

• Like 1