Melbourne Football

ACL 23/24 : Zhejiang vs City | Wednesday 4th October | 11PM Kick Off

Zanty

Jakolis not having any simple composure to shoot or more importantly for simply layoffs is getting very frustrating. Assist was a good cross from Jakolis. I’ve seen Caputo heading balls like this in the past!

You would say the boys look nervous but not really understanding or clicking into play was the order of the day in the previous games.

Hamza Sahki looks way too light for this level, gets outmuscled time after time.

Penalty we’ve conceded was a dive.

Who else thinks Behichs goal got a deflection?

Edited by Mr MO

Second half a little better. Either side can score anytime. We’ve created some decent semi opportunities, could have easily scored with a little more care in the final passing.

I don’t think these players train together, no real idea behind the play going forward.

Still only 1-2 somehow.

80min several players on a yellow and no subs made which is odd from a coach who believes his team isn’t fit to play 90min.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, rayv36 said:

Add Jakolis to the trash list too

Yeah he’s isn’t up to it so far.

1 minute ago, cremorne said:

Players who are welcome to hand in their resignation: Reis, Souprayen, Sahki, Jakolis.

Actually agree with this.

Reis has become a foul machine. I swear we got Souprayens older taller cousin on iceskates. Sahki seems like a fair weather footballer and passenger. Jakolis only plays with his eyes closed.

8 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Jakolis not having any simple composure to shoot or more importantly for simply layoffs is getting very frustrating. Assist was a good cross from Jakolis. I’ve seen Caputo heading balls like this in the past!

You would say the boys look nervous but not really understanding or clicking into play was the order of the day in the previous games.

Hamza Sahki looks way too light for this level, gets outmuscled time after time.

Penalty we’ve conceded was a dive.

Who else thinks Behichs goal got a deflection?

Said this to my son that Sakhi is way too easily knocked off the ball. His does have a bit of skill though and can see him getting better as the team gels more. Souprayen is a potato, Reis another, both just too old and slow. Not good to have both in our defence. Happy for Caputo and want to see him play more. Behich goal was great and also had a good game. Jakolis does a fair bit of work, but not great ball control. Reminds me a little of Nick Fitzgerald or Lachie Wales which really isn't great.

Our opponent clearly hadn’t watched our games rather than hitting us with pace they kept whacking high crosses in the box which our taller defenders kept heading away time after time. We were a little fortunate that they didn’t connect properly with the changes created and on the other hand we could have easily scored ourselves.

Excellent result for the club.

Edited by Mr MO

3 hours ago, Le Hack said:

Said this to my son that Sakhi is way too easily knocked off the ball. His does have a bit of skill though and can see him getting better as the team gels more. Souprayen is a potato, Reis another, both just too old and slow. Not good to have both in our defence. Happy for Caputo and want to see him play more. Behich goal was great and also had a good game. Jakolis does a fair bit of work, but not great ball control. Reminds me a little of Nick Fitzgerald or Lachie Wales which really isn't great.

With Sahki it’s a little odd at times at he’s actually inviting, slowing down or holding up for the opponents to get near him. He should use his quick feet to be a step ahead if you know you don’t have the physique to hold them off.

Looking at the Behich on several replays I’m still convinced that it took a deflection but it looked well placed!

I was so tired that I had to turn in, and this morning rush off to get my car serviced, so I've just seen the result. Incredible. Top of the group!

I didn't watch the game, but based on what I've seen live at Oakleigh and against Ventforet and Sydney and your reports, our performance was nothing new. Pretty much agree on Souprayen, Reis and Jakolis - still not sure on Sakhi. Jakolis is just Lachie Wales all over again.

Looked a pretty fair crowd at the game.

Edited by jw1739

10 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I was so tired that I had to turn in, and this morning rush off to get my car serviced, so I've just seen the result. Incredible. Top of the group!

I didn't watch the game, but based on what I've seen live at Oakleigh and against Ventforet and Sydney and your reports, our performance was nothing new. Pretty much agree on Souprayen, Reis and Jakolis - still not sure on Sakhi. Jakolis is just Lachie Wales all over again.

Looked a pretty fair crowd at the game.

Actually thought we played more positive in this game, mixed it up with more long balls and more direct play. Also the pressing appeared to be more stronger by the forwards and midfield. Stats show they had more possession 64pc and 20 shots to 13 but same on target 5, they seemed to have a lot of speculative shots from way out of the box. We had a lot of offsides 10 mostly Maclaren and Jakolis. I thought it was basically won by the two early goals which set them back on their heals.

General comment on deflections. I reckon this statistical crediting of goals is a heap of bullshit. In Behich's case, it looks from one angle as though the ball did deflect , but from behind the goal it does not appear to do so - at least that's my opinion. But whatever the case the goal clearly belongs to Behich because he took the shot, and was duly credited  However, in the goal at Oakleigh credited to Arslan when it hit the back of his head IMO the goal belonged to Ugarkovic - again, he took the shot, but it was credited to Arslan. Likewise own goals get debited an OG to GKs when they get down and make a great "save" only to see the ball trickle over the line. Nonsense IMO.

3 minutes ago, citypool said:

What does the team do before the start of the season? Is there a family day this year? 

I didn't see reference to one last season. I reckon the move to Casey Fields has put an end to it. That's how the soul gets taken out of a club.

12 hours ago, cremorne said:

Players who are welcome to hand in their resignation: Reis, Souprayen, Sahki, Jakolis.

Don't really agree with this.

Reis has been good in pre season when playing at CB, Despite the penalty I thought Souprayen had a good game, Both Sakhi and Jakolis had a good 1st half but I noticed they ran out of steam around the 60 mark and Rado probably should have made some changes

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Zanty said:

Don't really agree with this.

Reis has been good in pre season when playing at CB, Despite the penalty I thought Souprayen had a good game, Both Sakhi and Jakolis had a good 1st half but I noticed they ran out of steam around the 60 mark and Rado probably should have made some changes

Fair point. Still don't understand why Galloway isn't starting at RB.

54 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

General comment on deflections. I reckon this statistical crediting of goals is a heap of bullshit. In Behich's case, it looks from one angle as though the ball did deflect , but from behind the goal it does not appear to do so - at least that's my opinion. But whatever the case the goal clearly belongs to Behich because he took the shot, and was duly credited  However, in the goal at Oakleigh credited to Arslan when it hit the back of his head IMO the goal belonged to Ugarkovic - again, he took the shot, but it was credited to Arslan. Likewise own goals get debited an OG to GKs when they get down and make a great "save" only to see the ball trickle over the line. Nonsense IMO.

I didn't see reference to one last season. I reckon the move to Casey Fields has put an end to it. That's how the soul gets taken out of a club.

Goal definitely belongs to Behich, but if the ball would have ended up precisely in that little corner we would never know.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Fair point. Still don't understand why Galloway isn't starting at RB.

It was nice to see he got minutes has come back from injury so maybe not ready to start yet?, he has been super consistent for us so definitely deserves to start over Talbot & Reis at RB

4 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

Good to see Caputo scoring.

I really rate the kid, I hope he can become a consistent starter as the year goes on.

Yeah I think this solves a lot of our problems - if we can have Caputo have a bit of a 'Leckie-lite' type season it makes all the problems we're currently facing a lot more manageable, as it gives us another outlet that isn't Macca, and means that defences are pinned back on the right side for us, which opens up more space which is when we do best - so far Jakolis and  Lopane haven't forced a team to change their shape, but Caputo's size alone is going to annoy the fuck out of a lot of the leftbacks in the league.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tommykins said:

Yeah I think this solves a lot of our problems - if we can have Caputo have a bit of a 'Leckie-lite' type season it makes all the problems we're currently facing a lot more manageable, as it gives us another outlet that isn't Macca, and means that defences are pinned back on the right side for us, which opens up more space which is when we do best - so far Jakolis and  Lopane haven't forced a team to change their shape, but Caputo's size alone is going to annoy the fuck out of a lot of the leftbacks in the league.

Caputo is a CF iirc, we are doing him a disservice by playinv him on the wing. But I am not sure how well it would go down subbing off Jmac at 60 mins every game to give Caputo a decent run..

2 hours ago, malloy said:

Caputo is a CF iirc, we are doing him a disservice by playinv him on the wing. But I am not sure how well it would go down subbing off Jmac at 60 mins every game to give Caputo a decent run..

Agreed, he’s much better on the ball than JMAC and gives a different dynamic. You would almost play 4-4-2 with them.

5 hours ago, malloy said:

Oh you're 100% right, but I can't see us playing two up top, and having another forward option is desperately needed. 

9 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

Oh you're 100% right, but I can't see us playing two up top, and having another forward option is desperately needed. 

You don't need two if you have other players who can come in behind you and actually put the ball on target. As I've said before, JMac needs to drift wide sometimes to skew the defence and open up the other side. At the moment we're so repetitive, most of our attacks coming down the right, with no real left winger. I'm assuming Natel is for that role. That's how I've read the matches I've been to so far.