Melbourne Football

2016/17 starting XI

strider

Team is looking pretty good at the moment, Need to strengthen defense though, Hopefully Franjic is okay by start of season, + Sign Marquee Defender,  United and Wanderers had best defenses last season and were 2 Top 2 teams we need to do the same if want to win the title.    

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DFG_82 said:

Team is looking pretty good at the moment, Need to strengthen defense though, Hopefully Franjic is okay by start of season, + Sign Marquee Defender,  United and Wanderers had best defenses last season and were 2 Top 2 teams we need to do the same if want to win the title.    

Franjic will miss a lot of the season - there'll be an update on this tomorrow.

Our last signings HAVE to be defensive players. If they're good defensive signings we're in the box seat, if they're not, we're in trouble.

image.png

Not sure if it's of any worth, coming from Paddys laptop is a formation that I have yet seen to be suggested. IMO it looks very interesting but could be just Paddy playing around or my detection skills are on point.

Looks like a 4-1-2-3 or just a 4-3-3 variation with 2 CAM's

edit. - good to see Paddy's allegiance to the CFG with the Man city badge on his board there

Edited by MattN

47 minutes ago, MattN said:

image.png

Not sure if it's of any worth, coming from Paddys laptop is a formation that I have yet seen to be suggested. IMO it looks very interesting but could be just Paddy playing around or my detection skills are on point.

Looks like a 4-1-2-3 or just a 4-3-3 variation with 2 CAM's

edit. - good to see Paddy's allegiance to the CFG with the Man city badge on his board there

Haha that is some incredible detective work.

• Like 1

I can't see much doubt about it as the squad stands at the moment. IMO it would be madness not to continue with Bruno as the central striker, so my front three would be Kamau, Fornaroli and Brandan. Cahill to play AM off Bruno's shoulder, Brattan and Kilkenny to complete the midfield, and Muscat, Chapman, Malik and Rose the back four in front of Sorensen.

I don't think Gameiro is ready to go yet, so my bench would have to be Bouzanis, Fitzgerald, Caceres, Retre and Tongyik.

With Franjic out (my guess probably at least until Christmas) our defensive stocks are paper-thin.

• Like 1

Cahill can't play as a no.10 or behind Bruno at all, has never played that role before and doesn't poses the necessary skills to play there. 

Cahill can only play up top, so sadly Bruno will be pushed out on the wing or behind Cahill as the no.10, which I don't like the idea of at all. It's taking last years most effective player and forcing him to move to accomadate Cahill. 

I reckon there is next to zero chance in playing 2 up top, so the only way we can accomodate Timmy is to shift our best player away from his most effective position. Not liking the Cahill signing from a footballing perspective.

2 minutes ago, samardzija said:

I reckon there is next to zero chance in playing 2 up top,

I thoroughly disagree with this. For a decent portion of last season we played with just Novillo and Fornaroli up front, and i think we'll try that again. Whether thats in a 4-4-2 or a 3-5-2 remains to be seen; i think a 3-5-2 is unlikely at this stage given our defensive options, but who knows if we get a couple of signings.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I thoroughly disagree with this. For a decent portion of last season we played with just Novillo and Fornaroli up front, and i think we'll try that again. Whether thats in a 4-4-2 or a 3-5-2 remains to be seen; i think a 3-5-2 is unlikely at this stage given our defensive options, but who knows if we get a couple of signings.

Exactly. When we had Novillo and Fornaroli both up front as two strikers we looked unstoppable at times

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, bt50 said:

3-5-2 is definitely ruled out, players like kamau, Fitzgerald, Muscat, gameiro, retre, kuzimanovski, and brandan become null and void as they can't play as wing backs in a 3-5-2. Might use this formation from time to time during the season much like last but it will never be our starting formation over the course of the season.

Only thing that I can see sort of working is a 4-4-2 diamond but JVS always plays with some width so hard to see him change his style now.

A standard 4-4-2 is out of there question as that formation has gone out the door nowadays. City don't have any traditional English type wise players to suit that formation bar maybe fitzy.

3 hours ago, samardzija said:

Cahill can't play as a no.10 or behind Bruno at all, has never played that role before and doesn't poses the necessary skills to play there. 

Cahill can only play up top, so sadly Bruno will be pushed out on the wing or behind Cahill as the no.10, which I don't like the idea of at all. It's taking last years most effective player and forcing him to move to accomadate Cahill. 

I reckon there is next to zero chance in playing 2 up top, so the only way we can accomodate Timmy is to shift our best player away from his most effective position. Not liking the Cahill signing from a footballing perspective.

Not correct- in fact, playing off the main striker is where Cahill has played most of his club career ( Milwall, Everton, NY). He's not a playmaker in the silky number 10 sense, but someone who presses hard, plays box to box and scores goals from crosses due to his well-timed runs into the box.  

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, tommac said:

Not correct- in fact, playing off the main striker is where Cahill has played most of his club career ( Milwall, Everton, NY). He's not a playmaker in the silky number 10 sense, but someone who presses hard, plays box to box and scores goals from crosses due to his well-timed runs into the box.  

Absolutely agree as you say thats where Timmy has played most of his career and where he is most effective.

2 hours ago, tommac said:

You can't compare his role at Everton to what he might do for city. At no stage did he ever play as a no.10, he was always the '5th midfielder', he was there for his workrate and his timely runs into the box. 

Everton had an underdog style back when Cahill was there, usually conceeding possession and hitting the opponents on the break which suited Cahill's style/role to a tee as he's not a ball player, had great workrate and had a knack for scoring goals as that loose man between the mids and the striker. 

No way city can play that old Everton way,  the style suited player and club back then but now at city it's a completey different situation and style of play.

Cahill and Everton was a perfect fit, no way he could've played at a bigger club as he was very limited in what he could do as a footballer, really can't see him fitting into the first XI, will hate to see Bruno played out of position. 

17 minutes ago, samardzija said:

that loose man between the mids and the striker. 

That's exactly what I envisaged in my starting XI. We have Kilkenny and Brattan for the playmaker role. I see no reason why we can't play that way. Bruno played out of position would be madness - the league's best-ever striker and club marquee - wouldn't make any sense to me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

That's exactly what I envisaged in my starting XI. We have Kilkenny and Brattan for the playmaker role. I see no reason why we can't play that way. Bruno played out of position would be madness - the league's best-ever striker and club marquee - wouldn't make any sense to me.

Bruno cannot be played out of position. Simple as that.

Btw Jw it seems ur coping better with the offseason as of late. I know you went through a phase there where you went a bit batty, but, that's all water under the bridge. Good to see you've made a turn for the better bud.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I see brattan and kilkenny as deeper mids,  still think we need a 3rd more advanced mid which is where I thought caceras/brandan would play, hence can't really find room for Timmy unless Bruno gets thrown out on a wing which would be a travesty... 

• 3 weeks later...

With Colazo looking very likely to come in, I think the formation to get the best out of our best players is:

4-4-2

Sorenson

RB:Franjic/Muscat

CB's: Jacobsen/Malik/Chapman

LB: Rose/ Muscat ( Colazo if not at LM)

RM: Brandan (Kamau/Fitz)

CM: Brattan and Kilkenny (Caceras) 

LM: Colazo ( Caceras/Kamau/Fitz)

ST: Bruno and Timmy ( Gamiero)

21 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

If Jakobson flops we're going to be extremely shit in central defense.

Im pretty confident he wont be, based on the fact that its so blatantly obvious he needs to be decent that we would have put sufficient time and effort into that position. The worry will be if he gets injured imo. Might be worth signing one of CCM's out of favour CB's in McGing or Ascroft as cover with our last squad spot if theyre a bit discontented as is rumoured.

Edited by bt50

• 2 weeks later...