Melbourne Football

FFA Cup 2016. Rd 16 V Brisbane Strikers Wednesday 24 August 7:30pm

Dylan

60th minute Brandan comes on and we are caught from the left with a diagonal ball high and over the top. Muscat high up the pitch and the ball dinked over the top with two Floreat attackers 1 on 1. Chapman attempts to recover against the 2 attackers and forces the striker into a weak shot shutting off far post but Sorenson caught flat flooted and expecting the ball to go near post as the strikers weak shot trickles past him almost down the middle. 

64th minute and wow what a screamer from 30 yards from Caceras. Absolutely phenomenal strike into the top corner with the keeper barely diving by the time the ball had struck the top corner of netting. Brendan played him in with a nice flick and has made a difference with some nice quick play around corners through the middle. 

The second half opened up a little with Floreat going more direct with long balls and counters to their fat chode strikers. All in all this was a cup game early into our preseason and with the pitch and oppositions tactics I don't think it was a bad hit-out. We won the game and had 85% possession and understandably looked a little rusty. I think if we played on Aami Park we would've seen a much better, sleaker performance but the pitch and bobble definitely slowed our play down. We have to remember the motivation levels of our boys and the opposition heading into a game like this and consider that these cups are built for "fairytale upsets". I would like to think before the game the KPI's would have been to win, dominate possession, start building combinations and play the match in their half of the pitch so we can assume the coaching staff would be reasonably happy knowing they were achieved, just disappointed to concede. 

Sorenson- 5- not much to do. Should have done better off the goal, would be very disappointed to concede like that in aleague season. 

Muscat -5- did get caught out too often particularly in the second half. He is a strong defender but will take some fine tuning to our style in attacking play to ensure he isn't getting caught in transition. 

Chapman -6- physical and won most of his headers. Communication could have been better with Muscat with the ball catching them out over the top but showed good recover pace. With Clisby was our main source playing out from the back.

Malik -6- strong game physically offensively and defensively. Rarely tested and rarely noticed. 

Clisby -7- probably the best of the back line. Got up and down pretty well and was a good option going forward always willing to overlap. No problems defensively down his flank. Rumour has it he may be moving on, I think he is a good squadie and would like to see him stay. 

Brattan -7- strong game and showed his passing quality. Good anchor in the middle of the pitch directing play and had some good set pieces. Very good pickup. 

Retre -6- moved around well but rarely sighted with Floreat tactics. Will have to make a bigger impression in the next game with Fernando and Kilkenny ready to challenge in the middle of the pitch. 

Caceras- 7- brilliant goal and started to link better in the second half. First half much like Retre showed good movement but Floreat tactics prevented most opportunities. Looks like he could form a good partnership with Fernando as they found each other a few times. 

Kamau -6- getting in good positions but looks like he has heavy legs. Think he can be a strong pick up on the wing and would expect much better performances in future games. Himself and Fitzy will want to make an impression with Gameiro ready to come in and challenge soon. Will be a good challenge for them all to cement a position as they are all good players. 

Fornaroli -6- tried to get involved but the Floreat tactics left him with little opportunities. Wasn't his day up front but you can't expect him to always be firing, especially on a cold wet Tuesday for a cup game in Perth. 

Fitzy -7- good goal and much like the other attackers struggled to make their presence known with the deep defending. Did his job giving us the lead and would like to think he can get 5-10 goals for us this season. 

Brandan -7- looks like he is a quick thinker, knowing where his next pass is before he gets the ball. The game was more open when he came on but he looked like he was most likely to create an opening of the CM's. Looks promising so far. 

Kuzi -6- showed some good signs getting in behind a couple of times. One thing you have to admire about him is his confidence and desire to run at defenders. His end product is rarely good enough but if he works hard this season and focuses on his final ball he could make a difference off the bench sometimes this season. 

Arzani -6- looks like a good pickup and has brilliant ball control, word from inside the camp is he is a gem but obviously with his age needs a little refining. Don't be surpised if he gets a few games this year and impresses. 

JVS- 6- did the job and put out his best available team. Would have liked to see him change it to a 3-5-2 to test ourselves against these lower rated sides because we know we are going to dominate possession, particularly when he realised they were playing 5-4-1 in the first half. Decent subs. 

At this stage I think we need 1 big attacking player and 1 big defensive player. Our attack besides Fornaroli are all young and promising and the worry is that they wont be able to deliver consistently. We need a big marquee attacker who will install some fear into opponents and I think this should be someone on the wing. Not necessarily a notable name but someone with pace and flair to push teams back as Fitzy and Kamau aren't lightning and Novillo's presence is a big loss. 

Defensively I think they should be looking for a strong left footed CB to create some balance playing the ball out. Someone who can always cover at left back if Clisby is injured or not selected. Someone with the experience to help push Chapmans development and provide a presence at the back. At this stage Malik and Chapman are good starting CBs with Chapman the stronger and Malik some refining to do with his positional change based on his CB performances last year. 

Overall we have some very, very good squad depth and if we can get two strong visa players in we almost have 2 strong players for every position. Our squad is young and could benefit from some experience but at this stage of the season I think it's very promising. 

• Like 5

There has been some progress in that we were eventually break down an organised deep sitting defence, even an NPL level defence. Ball speed was improved and there was even some rotation at times but as others have noticed all our attacks were wide and predictable for the defenders. I agree with @melby that we need a good strong CB, hopefully that'll be one of the visa signings. I'll be interested in how JVS plans to use Kilkenny &  Brattan

32 minutes ago, melby said:

60th minute Brandan comes on and we are caught from the left with a diagonal ball high and over the top. Muscat high up the pitch and the ball dinked over the top with two Floreat attackers 1 on 1. Chapman attempts to recover against the 2 attackers and forces the striker into a weak shot shutting off far post but Sorenson caught flat flooted and expecting the ball to go near post as the strikers weak shot trickles past him almost down the middle. 

64th minute and wow what a screamer from 30 yards from Caceras. Absolutely phenomenal strike into the top corner with the keeper barely diving by the time the ball had struck the top corner of netting. Brendan played him in with a nice flick and has made a difference with some nice quick play around corners through the middle. 

The second half opened up a little with Floreat going more direct with long balls and counters to their fat chode strikers. All in all this was a cup game early into our preseason and with the pitch and oppositions tactics I don't think it was a bad hit-out. We won the game and had 85% possession and understandably looked a little rusty. I think if we played on Aami Park we would've seen a much better, sleaker performance but the pitch and bobble definitely slowed our play down. We have to remember the motivation levels of our boys and the opposition heading into a game like this and consider that these cups are built for "fairytale upsets". I would like to think before the game the KPI's would have been to win, dominate possession, start building combinations and play the match in their half of the pitch so we can assume the coaching staff would be reasonably happy knowing they were achieved, just disappointed to concede. 

Sorenson- 5- not much to do. Should have done better off the goal, would be very disappointed to concede like that in aleague season. 

Muscat -5- did get caught out too often particularly in the second half. He is a strong defender but will take some fine tuning to our style in attacking play to ensure he isn't getting caught in transition. 

Chapman -6- physical and won most of his headers. Communication could have been better with Muscat with the ball catching them out over the top but showed good recover pace. With Clisby was our main source playing out from the back.

Malik -6- strong game physically offensively and defensively. Rarely tested and rarely noticed. 

Clisby -7- probably the best of the back line. Got up and down pretty well and was a good option going forward always willing to overlap. No problems defensively down his flank. Rumour has it he may be moving on, I think he is a good squadie and would like to see him stay. 

Brattan -7- strong game and showed his passing quality. Good anchor in the middle of the pitch directing play and had some good set pieces. Very good pickup. 

Retre -6- moved around well but rarely sighted with Floreat tactics. Will have to make a bigger impression in the next game with Fernando and Kilkenny ready to challenge in the middle of the pitch. 

Caceras- 7- brilliant goal and started to link better in the second half. First half much like Retre showed good movement but Floreat tactics prevented most opportunities. Looks like he could form a good partnership with Fernando as they found each other a few times. 

Kamau -6- getting in good positions but looks like he has heavy legs. Think he can be a strong pick up on the wing and would expect much better performances in future games. Himself and Fitzy will want to make an impression with Gameiro ready to come in and challenge soon. Will be a good challenge for them all to cement a position as they are all good players. 

Fornaroli -6- tried to get involved but the Floreat tactics left him with little opportunities. Wasn't his day up front but you can't expect him to always be firing, especially on a cold wet Tuesday for a cup game in Perth. 

Fitzy -7- good goal and much like the other attackers struggled to make their presence known with the deep defending. Did his job giving us the lead and would like to think he can get 5-10 goals for us this season. 

Brandan -7- looks like he is a quick thinker, knowing where his next pass is before he gets the ball. The game was more open when he came on but he looked like he was most likely to create an opening of the CM's. Looks promising so far. 

Kuzi -6- showed some good signs getting in behind a couple of times. One thing you have to admire about him is his confidence and desire to run at defenders. His end product is rarely good enough but if he works hard this season and focuses on his final ball he could make a difference off the bench sometimes this season. 

Arzani -6- looks like a good pickup and has brilliant ball control, word from inside the camp is he is a gem but obviously with his age needs a little refining. Don't be surpised if he gets a few games this year and impresses. 

JVS- 6- did the job and put out his best available team. Would have liked to see him change it to a 3-5-2 to test ourselves against these lower rated sides because we know we are going to dominate possession, particularly when he realised they were playing 5-4-1 in the first half. Decent subs. 

At this stage I think we need 1 big attacking player and 1 big defensive player. Our attack besides Fornaroli are all young and promising and the worry is that they wont be able to deliver consistently. We need a big marquee attacker who will install some fear into opponents and I think this should be someone on the wing. Not necessarily a notable name but someone with pace and flair to push teams back as Fitzy and Kamau aren't lightning and Novillo's presence is a big loss. 

Defensively I think they should be looking for a strong left footed CB to create some balance playing the ball out. Someone who can always cover at left back if Clisby is injured or not selected. Someone with the experience to help push Chapmans development and provide a presence at the back. At this stage Malik and Chapman are good starting CBs with Chapman the stronger and Malik some refining to do with his positional change based on his CB performances last year. 

Overall we have some very, very good squad depth and if we can get two strong visa players in we almost have 2 strong players for every position. Our squad is young and could benefit from some experience but at this stage of the season I think it's very promising. 

Thanks another great  sumary be careful stating that you have inside info. That is of course you know that Volkswagen dude.

Edited by Jovan

What a bloody relief. Missed the entire game due to being out all night, just relieved to move onto next round. Bit surprised that Fernando started on the bench. Overall, looking at some bare bones highlights appears like a shit quality match on a shithouse pitch. Give us a home game on a sleek pitch at AAMI next round and we'll do it comfortably. 

• Like 2

A few random things:

I know the pitch was terrible but for most of the game we were way too slow in our ball movement. The service to Bruno was non existent.

Clisby might have got a lot of ball but did nothing with it.

Sorensen made a good save at the death, that averted extra time.

It was a cup game and we won. Fair to say though if we play like that every round we won't be in it for long.

Yeh i thought we were decent. 85% possession and a decent showing against a team that parked the bus wasnt too bad. Obviously conceding was disappointing but i still thought we were ok. Saw some good things from Brattan, Kamau and Fitz that whetted the appetite.

30 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

I'm quite pleased, we've always struggled to score against deep organised defences and always been vulnerable on the counter-attack. Two years ago we would have lost that game especially as it was played in WA

Agreed. In these sorts of matches it's the result that counts. Floreat had everything to win, we had everything to lose. Significant too that two players who might not be automatic starters once the squad is complete were our goalscorers. A good win for the club.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ruckoo said:

A much weaker than last year defence.

We only got our defence sorted after January and even then we got lucky getting Wilkinson. We desperately need a like CB. I still have hope our Marquee is a CB.  

Any ideas on available CB free agents to fill that CB role?

3 minutes ago, Ruckoo said:

A much weaker than last year defence.

I dont think it was so much our defence man for man that was a problem last year. It was more so our system imo.

It's about the same strength overall this year, perhaps improved due to  the significant upgrade that is Brattan at DM, although we'll be much weaker aerially at this stage. I think we'll concede a bit from set pieces this year unless we can sign a good CB in the air.