Melbourne Football

RD 20: CCM at home

Dylan

Probably the praise being heaped on Tuna rather overwhelmed him, and he looked very conscious of the expectation that he should score from those one-on-ones. Actually I thought Izzo played those situations well, not committing himself one way or the other and positioning himself really well. Best of all though I liked the way Fornaroli realised he wasn't having the best afternoon and unselfishly set up Garuccio - that's the mark of a true team player.

Overall a good win. Players who caught my eye were Malik (despite some over-elaboration at times), Franjic, Fitzgerald and Mooy of course. Didn't understand the tactics at the first-half corners - didn't seem sensible to send up all the talls to crowd the box and leave Retre - slowest man on the field - to defend the quick break. Also the tactics from CCM in the last 15 minutes were pathetic - playing a zone defence like that when they had absolutely nothing to lose either from the match or the season was a woeful exhibition.

A match we had to win - and we did.

For the record - we've now played a grand total of 23 matches on a Sunday at AAMI Park (more than any other day), and the average attendance over the lot of them is 7,669.

• Like 1

felt like a heart game 1st half
gooch lucky to not get dragged in the first half
get someone else to take corners
tuna should of had about 5, would of been nice to have a massive gap between him and the gypsy 
ccm were fucked after the pen went in, injury must have been very bad

Edited by Thrillhouse
  • Like 1

A solid 4-1 win in the end. The team won a match they needed to, and showed a little character to come from behind. But more importantly, the team showed it can fire without Novillo, and with Fornaroli having an off-day (he'll probably score 5 or something ridiculous next week, but he probably should have had a hat-trick today). 

Mooy was the star. Perfect free-kick to set up Kisnorbo's header to tie the game. Perfect free kick after a tough 10 minute delay that easily could have psyched out a penalty taker. And a pearler of a free kick to help the team win 4-1. Game stats: 97 touches, 67 passes, 85% passing accuracy, 4 chances created, 1 assist, 2 goals. And Mooy's huge season stats: 18 appearances, 9 goals, 17 assists.

Garuccio and Fitzgerald were good overall. Garuccio should have had a stonewall pen in the first half, Fitzgerald got a pen in the second half and Garuccio got a goal to seal things in the 2nd half. Good options to have in attack. Other positives: Malik was pretty good (although I think his passing, esp. his switches of play and forward passes, could be better), good to have an option like Melling off the bench, and Wilkinson, Franjic and Zullo will all be much the better for all playing a full 90 minutes.

Disappointingly slow start, but the team got there in the end and achieved a convincing and crucial 4-1 win. The team now has to kick on and get another important 3 points next week that could see the team go 2nd by the end of next round, which would put Melbourne City right back in the title mix.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 2

The difference between the first and second half was the intensity we played with. We were in control in the first half, but because we weren't behind we were happy to move the ball forward at our own pace. This gives the opposition time to get their defence well organised. Even though we should have had a penalty and Bruno missed a header he would score 9 times out of 10. They had a breakaway goal were the wrong man was assigned to Austin. That should have been Zullo with Retre being the spare man.

This must be the first game when Sorenson never had a save to make. Wilkinson looks solid and finally we had a guy who played defensive midfield in Malik. He simply allowed others to get forward and just played a solid game. We had plenty of opportunities before they went down to 10 men and Bruno could have had 4 or 5 on anohter day.

The balance of the team was so much better and I was glad Gooch was finally played as a winger. One more thing, we should fine Kuzi every time he tries a step over unless he has no other option. Seriously he plays with no intelligence at all and just wants to try fancy tricks. Someone should tell him there is no "I" in team!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Thrillhouse said:

felt like a heart game 1st half
gooch lucky to not get dragged in the first half
get someone else to take corners
tuna should of had about 5, would of been nice to have a massive gap between him and the gypsy 
ccm were fucked after the pen went in, injury must have been very bad

There is that word again: gypsy

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, silva10 said:

The difference between the first and second half was the intensity we played with. We were in control in the first half, but because we weren't behind we were happy to move the ball forward at our own pace. This gives the opposition time to get their defence well organised. Even though we should have had a penalty and Bruno missed a header he would score 9 times out of 10. They had a breakaway goal were the wrong man was assigned to Austin. That should have been Zullo with Retre being the spare man.

This must be the first game when Sorenson never had a save to make. Wilkinson looks solid and finally we had a guy who played defensive midfield in Malik. He simply allowed others to get forward and just played a solid game. We had plenty of opportunities before they went down to 10 men and Bruno could have had 4 or 5 on anohter day.

The balance of the team was so much better and I was glad Gooch was finally played as a winger. One more thing, we should fine Kuzi every time he tries a step over unless he has no other option. Seriously he plays with no intelligence at all and just wants to try fancy tricks. Someone should tell him there is no "I" in team!

Kudos to Austin for the way he took his chance in the first half and converted. It was a very good goal. But we played with a lack of intensity in that period that was scary. Maybe it's because we were playing the bottom team and we relaxed but it's not good enough - bit like how we didn't show up for the recent Jets game.

Agree, Sorenson had little to do - they had 1 shot on target we had 11. Bruno could easily have had a couple to his name but walked away with none - credit to their goalie Izzo. WIlko and Malik fitting in really well and a good sign for the future especially when Paddy hangs up his boots. I think we missed Novillo. He brings an edge, almost a degree of unpredictability that can be off putting for opponents. And he barges his way into a contest that can break open chances. Kuzi is a waste of space&time. He should be sent back to pre-school. The kid thinks he's the new Ronaldinho or something :droy:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HEARTinator said:

Kudos to Austin for the way he took his chance in the first half and converted. It was a very good goal. But we played with a lack of intensity in that period that was scary. Maybe it's because we were playing the bottom team and we relaxed but it's not good enough - bit like how we didn't show up for the recent Jets game.

Agree, Sorenson had little to do - they had 1 shot on target we had 11. Bruno could easily have had a couple to his name but walked away with none - credit to their goalie Izzo. WIlko and Malik fitting in really well and a good sign for the future especially when Paddy hangs up his boots. I think we missed Novillo. He brings an edge, almost a degree of unpredictability that can be off putting for opponents. And he barges his way into a contest that can break open chances. Kuzi is a waste of space&time. He should be sent back to pre-school. The kid thinks he's the new Ronaldinho or something :droy:

I don't think we missed Harry that much. Of course he creates something out of nothing, but I thought the team was much better balanced with Gooch playing ahead of Zullo and Nick ahead of Franjic. 

As you say our play was too slow in the first half and that was the reason we were down at half time. The second half showed our ability. Also we didn't waste energy by running about like headless chickens. It was probably the most assured and composed performance of the season. Our defence was never opened up, even with all the pace they had.

8 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Good convincing win to come back from a goal down. Feels a bit of a hollow though because Bruno didn't score. Should have had at least 2.

Still cannot believe he didn't get at least that given the situations he found himself in with the ball, 99 times out of 100 you'd back him to put most of them away

1 hour ago, possiblygeorge said:

Crowd numbers are actually f**king embarrassing. 

Whatever the club is trying to do to increase numbers is simply not working.

Same people have been at the club for years and same problems occur.

During the week, hardly hear anything from the club on radio, tv or anywhere else. Have talents like Fornaroli and don't market him to the nines. Ditto Mooy. 

Can have all the money in the world, but if you don't change nothing changes. There is no connection of Melbourne City to Melbourne or Victoria at present.

A club this size with the way we are playing should be having more than 15k members and getting your 15-20k crowds every week.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Cityamatic said:

Just watched the replay, looks like he's broken his leg pretty badly when it got caught underneath him trying to turn - from the look of it he snapped it down near his ankle. Nasty.

Saw the replay as well, looked nasty.

It was obvious at the time it was pretty serious (even though I didn't see what happened) when the opposition players are calling for the medical staff urgently you know some thing is up.

I hope he can come back and play eventually.

we were awful in the first half, just shite

Did JVS find a hairdryer for his half time talk ???

it appeared as if a good old fashioned spray occurred, as we came out a different team

Bruno should have had a hatrick

we should have scored another 3 in the second half.

Some positive signs there, but a few problems shrouded by the (in the end ) easy win

Malik did some good things , but there were some awful attempts at tackles at times, players just skipped past him

Mooy put on his playing boots again, dominating the midfield

thankfully we got the 3 points,

• Like 1

Good game by all.

The Kisnorbo, Wilkinson, Malic triangle looks solid;

Franjic, Zullo, Gamiero, Fitzgerald wings look dangerous; 

Mooy, Bruno good as always.

Only disappointment was Retre's failure to link up with Fitzgerald which cost us many opportunities. I don't know whether it's confidence or failure to see opportunities, but he consistently passes the ball back,  holds the ball too long and his disposal is mostly ineffective. Bruno and Fitzgerald both suffered because of this, especially Fitzgerald as he was passing to Retre for a through ball to use his pace.

Also disappointing Bruno didn't have another 2, and Bruno please stop with the shot between the keepers legs already, you have missed so many easy ones because of this. 

Edited by playmaker

8 hours ago, Melburnian said:

During the week, hardly hear anything from the club on radio, tv or anywhere else. Have talents like Fornaroli and don't market him to the nines. Ditto Mooy. 

Can have all the money in the world, but if you don't change nothing changes. There is no connection of Melbourne City to Melbourne or Victoria at present.

A club this size with the way we are playing should be having more than 15k members and getting your 15-20k crowds every week.

Just in general tickets are way too much. Lower those general admin prices and it will help. But spot on more media attention would be great.

8 hours ago, Melburnian said:

To be fair, they cancelled all club media appearances this week due to the Novillo incident.

9 minutes ago, Deeming said:

A lot of players were falling over on the pitch last night. If you look at the incident it looks like his boot sinks into the ground.  I think this ends in a compensation claim.

Always puzzles me why they water the pitch immediately before the match.

1 hour ago, GreenSeater said:

To be fair, they cancelled all club media appearances this week due to the Novillo incident.

I think it's pretty simple: we don't have the number of rusted-on supporters to absorb the typical 3-4 week slumps that the team goes through on a regular basis. If we beat Wellington this week, I think the game against Sydney will get well over 10,000. And since it's fair to say that we will be a very good bet to finish above Victory this season (considering their ACL commitments), that will help with new supporters for next year.

Good to come from behind to earn three points, when we hadn't got even a draw from that scenario for the entire year. Good to not get any red cards and no obvious injury concerns. I just hope Fornaroli's inability to convert was only a one-week thing...it took me back to the dark old days watching that.

Sad about Roux but he's young and will recover quick. In regards to the 90 mins of football, Imo, we were always in control. Our finishing wasn't sharp and the ref robbed us of a clear penalty. Otherwise, we would have gone to the break by 3 or 4 goals advantage. Yes, I agree that our second half was much better. Our intensity increased as did our passing. Malik and Fitzy were the worst in the passing department but overall they performed well. Mooy who imo was absent in the first half, lifted and it was just a matter of time for the goals to come City's way. Nothing to get carried away about this win as ccm looked like a park football team.

We needed to win this game, and we did win it in a very convincingly manner. I believe in the depth of this team. There are so many quality options. With Caceres returning next week and hopefully Novillo the following, the future looks promising.

Mom : Second half's A.Mooy, followed by Malik and Fitzy.

1 hour ago, playmaker said:

Good news for Roux, Fibula fracture and shoulder dislocation means he wont be out for long and definitely won't impact his career long term.

Good news for the kid.

Good news? Wtf?

I wouldn't be surprised if his ankle ligaments are completely fukd after watching the replay. 

Plus he misses out on WC qualifiers for NZ.

Try telling him it's good news...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rass said:

Good news? Wtf?

I wouldn't be surprised if his ankle ligaments are completely fukd after watching the replay. 

Plus he misses out on WC qualifiers for NZ.

Try telling him it's good news...

Rather this injury than an p/acl or fractured lateral and medial malleolus

TBH I thought it was going to be a lot worse by the look of him on the day