Melbourne Football

RD 17 City travel to face the NRMAWSW

Dylan

49 minutes ago, haz said:

Hopefully Bruno and Harry do some cheeky shirt pulls towards the end of the game to get their 5th yellows to miss the Newcastle game the following week.

Do they still have the rule where once we get to a certain week it goes to 8 yellow cards before suspension, if so do we know what week it is 

9 hours ago, neio said:

Do they still have the rule where once we get to a certain week it goes to 8 yellow cards before suspension, if so do we know what week it is 

Its once you come back from your 5th yelow card suspension, you only need to get the next 3 yellow card before you are suspended again hence making it a total 8 yellow cards.

18 minutes ago, haz said:

After supporting this team for the last 4 years, it will take a 10 game winning streak before I go into a game feeling confident of a win

Well I still don't feel confident about Manchester City after supporting them for 34 years. Those first 26 years before the takeover left their mark and I still can't quite shake them off lol

• Like 5

3-5-2 is perfect against the Wanderers, everything the do with success comes through the middle of the park. Castelen is their only dangerous winger but his final ball is about on par with Williams. Nicholls is the real threat along with their Spaniards, if we can smother them in midfield they don't have a lot of quality out wide to counter it.

I'm a bit more confident of a result here after watching our midfield on the weekend. WSW have the best midfield in the comp and beaten us there in both the games at AAMI - destroying us in the first game especially. If we can maintain the midfield discipline and shape our forwards should be too good for them. It's a tough gig but would really make a statement to the A league to win in the most hostile environment. 

Melbourne City new signings Osama Malik and Nick Fitzgerald want to be part of title push

By David Davutovic

January 27 2016

NEW signings Osama Malik and Nick Fitzgerald sense something special is brewing at Melbourne City and they want to be central characters.

The pair, both of whom have Asian Champions League experience, debuted as substitutes in City’s 3-1 win over Wellington Phoenix on Monday, just 48 hours after their signings were confirmed.

Utility Malik joined from Adelaide United in a shock swap for Stefan Mauk while winger Fitzgerald signed after he left Central Coast mid-season.

Malik, who’s signed until 2018, said he needed a change as City prepare for Friday’s top of the table clash at Western Sydney.

“A big thing coming here is there’s very much a sense that we’re creating something strong and powerful with the facilities and the players they’ve brought in,’’ Malik said.

“There’s definitely a sense that we’re building something that can be very strong this season and years to come and that gives the place a good feeling and players know if they want to be a part of that then obviously we need to be performing.

“I wanted to be a part of the team going forward and when the opportunity came up I jumped at it. I was happy with the way it worked out, didn’t have too much time to think.

“I left on pretty good terms. I’d been there for five years and it’s my hometown club but perhaps the time came to get out of my comfort zone.’’

Fitzgerald, 23, has only signed under John van’t Schip until the end of the season but revealed that he would like to stay beyond 2016.

With Corey Gameiro (knee) out for the season and David Williams departing to Hungary, Fitzgerald is likely to get chances on the right wing but admitted it was a different dynamic slotting into a star-studded attack that included golden boot leader Bruno Fornaroli, in-form Harry Novillo and Socceroo Aaron Mooy.

“That’s why I jumped at the opportunity. Getting out of that comfort zone, and trying to push yourself to get into the squad every week, it’s something I felt I needed,’’ Fitzgerald said.

“I can give a different option if he wants to pay three upfront, but the way Bruno and Harry play it’s a great thing to be a part of for me and you add Aaron Mooy and Erik Paartalu, it’s a talented squad.

“It’s difficult coming in to such a talented squad and fitting in straight away, but I thoroughly enjoyed it (his debut) and there’s been a great response.

“I’m hoping to extend my stay here, I’ll see how I fit in and how JVS sees me playing. Hopefully I get a few runs to show what I’m capable of.

“Definitely at this club, for myself that’s why I jumped at the opportunity to come here, good chance to press hard to get into a great squad like City.

“I couldn’t believe the facilities when I got the tour here.’’

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/teams/melbourne-city/melbourne-city-new-signings-osama-malik-and-nick-fitzgerald-want-to-be-part-of-title-push/news-story/3fdb495b0a0b7d3db3081462c19fb148?from=public_rss

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Agree. Doesn't make sense to put a player that turns the ball over as much as him in defense and has the turning circle of a bus. 

Of course it makes sense.  Eric doesn't need to be able to turn on a dime- he needs to read the play, intercept, and tackle cleanly.  Eric is more mobile than either Kisnorbo or Hughes (which isn't saying much), can win the ball wthout killing his opponent unlike Melling who is a walking red card, he is tall and probably the best header at the club, and he doesn't need to pick his passes in the heat of the battle like in the middle- basically pass to the full backs or to Malik.

If Melling can play as a CB, the Eric can.

7 minutes ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

Of course it makes sense.  Eric doesn't need to be able to turn on a dime- he needs to read the play, intercept, and tackle cleanly.  Eric is more mobile than either Kisnorbo or Hughes (which isn't saying much), can win the ball wthout killing his opponent unlike Melling who is a walking red card, he is tall and probably the best header at the club, and he doesn't need to pick his passes in the heat of the battle like in the middle- basically pass to the full backs or to Malik.

I disagree. Besides his heading ability, which Kisnorbo is superior, I don't think he'd do any of those things that you mention very well. 

Edited by n i k o

6 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I disagree. Besides his heading ability, which Kisnorbo is superior, I don't think he'd do any of those things that you mention very well. 

The he should be sacked immediately.

And Kisnorbo heading ability is limited to actually getting his head on the ball,  I'm confident in saying that he has never headedthe ball to a team mate in his career.  Watch on Friday and count them.

Edited by Kiro Kompiro
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

I actually think Eric isn't great at reading the game.

Personally, I thought Hughes was fine against Wellington. It helped with the extra pace Melling provided. I would leave things as they are for WSW and see how it goes.

Edited by silva10
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

And Kisnorbo heading ability is limited to actually getting his head on the ball,  I'm confident in saying that he has never headedthe ball to a team mate in his career.  Watch on Friday and count them.

Why on earth are we going to convert yet another player to another position? We have 4 players that can play centre back why the hell would we even contemplate another one, and on that, one that has never played in that position before. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, silva10 said:

I actually think Eric isn't great at reading the game.

Personally, I thought Hughes was fine against Wellington. It helped with the extra pace Melling provided. I would leave things as they are for WSW and see how it goes.

Agreed. I don't think he did much wrong at all and it seems that he's starting to find his feet. He hasn't turned the competition on its head, but he looks to me like he'll be a good, solid visa player for the rest of the season and a guy that is probably worth his weight in gold on the training track and in the change rooms. With Koren off the books, I think when your worst visa player is Hughes, you're probably going ok.

The only time I can remember us briefly holding top spot was when we happened to play the first game of the season about four years ago and knocked off Victory at Etihad. And we didn't even hold that spot until the end of the round. What a massive opportunity. Although, of course, if things go pear shaped, we can easily drop down to fourth or fifth in a heartbeat (the lowest that we can drop after this round is fourth, but you get what I mean).

I think it's a good thing that we've got such a massive game coming up...if it was someone like the Jets, we'd probably stuff it up. A draw wouldn't be too bad, but geez, a 2+ goal win would be nice.

One of the remaining doubts about this team: I believe the opposition has scored first in four games this season (a pretty good achievement in itself). We've got zero points from those four games. I'm quite happy to play the front-runners for the rest of the season, if we can manage it, but I think it would be good for the development of the team to fight back from a deficit to get a win, or a gutsy draw.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Dylan said:

I think the short turn around is going to hurt us this week. So probably another reason why JVS will set us up for the smash n grab

You're absolutely correct, but I hate that this excuse is available if we do put in a sub-par performance. With a few acquisitions and a relatively clear injury list, we've suddenly got good depth. If the players are tired, it should be used. Retre played 30-odd minutes, Malik 20-odd, Fitzgerald had a cameo, Garuccio, Trifiro and Clisby weren't used. Franjic and Caceres also had a fair break in the second half. If Kuzi has been doing the right things, it would be a good game for him to be an option off the bench. Presumably Brown is available, or very close to, as well?

10 hours ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

Paddy did head a ball to Sorensen (a back pass) as I recalled on Monday night's match. And I agree with some comments here that we should not convert any players to play CB.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, SF33 said:

You're absolutely correct, but I hate that this excuse is available if we do put in a sub-par performance. With a few acquisitions and a relatively clear injury list, we've suddenly got good depth. If the players are tired, it should be used. Retre played 30-odd minutes, Malik 20-odd, Fitzgerald had a cameo, Garuccio, Trifiro and Clisby weren't used. Franjic and Caceres also had a fair break in the second half. If Kuzi has been doing the right things, it would be a good game for him to be an option off the bench. Presumably Brown is available, or very close to, as well?

For mine, Brown can stay just where he's been - off the pitch.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JC22 said:

For mine, Brown can stay just where he's been - off the pitch.

I can certainly appreciate that sentiment. But when you've got to back up a Monday game on Friday, with a plane trip thrown in for good measure, it's just common sense to look at what you've got at the lower end of your squad and who might be able to come in/come on and do a job, even if it's just for 10-15 minutes. If Brown can't do that, we may as well get rid of him. He's in his mid-20s and it's unlikely that he's going to get much better than he is.

Of course, it probably comes down to how the incumbents are feeling at the moment. Which players are banged up? Can we rest a couple for the Wanderers game? Can we rest players against Newcastle? However they do it, I hope that JVS and his assistants are managing the squad with an eye to the Victory game and beyond, not just concentrating on this week.