Melbourne Football

RD 17 City travel to face the NRMAWSW

Dylan

Massive game, massive chance to go top with a decent 4 weeks after (Newy, derby, CCM, Nix).. 

In saying that, I can see a 2-2 draw. Still not completely sold on WSW, as they've had some average performances the last month, but the way we're running out games with the 4 day turnaround might make things difficult. 

Edited by MHFCRC

42 minutes ago, Deeming said:

"A short turn-around" is a cop out excuse. If you have a short time between games you reduce training (number of sessiona and/or intensity) in between games its a no brainer

Completely agree. I just hope that we don't hear about it from anyone at the club then, if we run out of steam after 60 minutes.

It's like Graham Arnold responding to criticism of his negativetactics by saying something like "The moment I start listening to our supporters is the moment I might as well be sitting in the stands with them" at the same time as those Sydney FC "Be the 12th man, we need your support, you're part of it" ads - narrated by...Graham Arnold - are showing during the breaks.

10 minutes ago, SF33 said:

Completely agree. I just hope that we don't hear about it from anyone at the club then, if we run out of steam after 60 minutes.

It's like Graham Arnold responding to criticism of his negativetactics by saying something like "The moment I start listening to our supporters is the moment I might as well be sitting in the stands with them" at the same time as those Sydney FC "Be the 12th man, we need your support, you're part of it" ads - narrated by...Graham Arnold - are showing during the breaks.

Haha understand your point, but that's a bit different.

Support is key, not the opinions of the supporters. They do go hand in hand to a degree though; supporters who feel the club is going the wrong way are less likely to 'support'

24 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Haha understand your point, but that's a bit different.

Support is key, not the opinions of the supporters. They do go hand in hand to a degree though; supporters who feel the club is going the wrong way are less likely to 'support'

Yes, true. That just struck me as a funny example of a manager saying one thing (that he has the utmost respect for his club's supporters) and then pretty much demonstrating the opposite.

Melbourne City FC Squad: 1. Thomas SORENSEN (GK), 3. Aaron HUGHES, 5. Ivan FRANJIC, 6. Erik PAARTALU, 8. Aaron MOOY, 9. Harry NOVILLO, 11. Michael ZULLO, 17. Wade DEKKER, 18. Paulo RETRE, 19. Ben GARUCCIO, 20. Dean BOUZANIS (GK), 22. Jack CLISBY, 23. Bruno FORNAROLI, 24. Patrick KISNORBO (C), 25. Jacob MELLING, 27. Nick FITZGERALD, 29. Anthony CACERES, 33. Osama MALIK

Ins: 17. Wade DEKKER (promoted), 22. Jack CLISBY (returns from suspension)

Outs: Nil

Unavailable: 4. Connor CHAPMAN (6-7 weeks), 7. Corey GAMEIRO (knee - season)

Western Sydney Wanderers FC squad:  3.Scott JAMIESON, 4. Nikolai TOPOR-STANLEY,  6. Mitch NICHOLS, 7.Romeo CASTELEN, 8.DIMAS, 9.Federico PIOVACCARI, 10.Dario VIDOSIC, 11.Brendon SANTALAB, 12.Scott NEVILLE, 14.Golgol MEBRAHTU, 15.Kearyn BACCUS, 17.ALBERTO, 18.ANDREU, 19.Mark BRIDGE, 20.Andrew REDMAYNE (gk), 21.Jacob PEPPER, 22.Jonathan ASPROPOTAMITIS, 30.Liam REDDY (gk), 34.Mario SHABOW

**two to be omitted**

Ins:  4. Nikolai TOPOR-STANLEY (returns from suspension), 9. Federico PIOVACCARI (promoted)

Outs: Nil

Unavailable:  Nil

3 minutes ago, Randy Magnum said:

Melbourne City FC Squad: 1. Thomas SORENSEN (GK), 3. Aaron HUGHES, 5. Ivan FRANJIC, 6. Erik PAARTALU, 8. Aaron MOOY, 9. Harry NOVILLO, 11. Michael ZULLO, 17. Wade DEKKER, 18. Paulo RETRE, 19. Ben GARUCCIO, 20. Dean BOUZANIS (GK), 22. Jack CLISBY, 23. Bruno FORNAROLI, 24. Patrick KISNORBO (C), 25. Jacob MELLING, 27. Nick FITZGERALD, 29. Anthony CACERES, 33. Osama MALIK

Ins: 17. Wade DEKKER (promoted), 22. Jack CLISBY (returns from suspension)

Outs: Nil

Unavailable: 4. Connor CHAPMAN (6-7 weeks), 7. Corey GAMEIRO (knee - season)

Western Sydney Wanderers FC squad:  3.Scott JAMIESON, 4. Nikolai TOPOR-STANLEY,  6. Mitch NICHOLS, 7.Romeo CASTELEN, 8.DIMAS, 9.Federico PIOVACCARI, 10.Dario VIDOSIC, 11.Brendon SANTALAB, 12.Scott NEVILLE, 14.Golgol MEBRAHTU, 15.Kearyn BACCUS, 17.ALBERTO, 18.ANDREU, 19.Mark BRIDGE, 20.Andrew REDMAYNE (gk), 21.Jacob PEPPER, 22.Jonathan ASPROPOTAMITIS, 30.Liam REDDY (gk), 34.Mario SHABOW

**two to be omitted**

Ins:  4. Nikolai TOPOR-STANLEY (returns from suspension), 9. Federico PIOVACCARI (promoted)

Outs: Nil

Unavailable:  Nil

Again the strongest squad available, if we cant beat the nrmawsw then we can probably kiss away silverware this season...

It'll be interesting to see if we persist with 3-5-2 given the prowess of Castelan or revert to 4-3-3. I think we'll start with 3-5-2 and switch it up when the subs start coming on around the 60 min mark as we've done the last few games.

Sorensen

Melling       Kisnorbo    Hughes

Franjic        Caceras    Paartalu      Zullo

Mooy

Fornaroli     Novillo

SUBS : Bouzanis   Clisby   Malik   Fitzgerald   Retre

12 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Again the strongest squad available, if we cant beat the nrmawsw then we can probably kiss away silverware this season...

Although a win would set us up perfectly, in the context of the next 5 games we have the best opportunity to pick up the most points out of all the teams in the top six. Our two toughest opponents are the scum and the dole bludgers. Then we have Newy, CCM and Nix. So a loss while not great wouldn't necessarily mean we can't win silverware. Unless one of the teams around us goes on a big win streak if by the end of round 21 we aren't at the top of the league we won't win it. 

Edited by n i k o

4 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Although a win would set us up perfectly in the context of the next 5 games we have the best opportunity to pick up the most points out of all the teams in the top six. So a loss while not great wouldn't necessarily mean we can't pick us silverware. 

Fair call, I was more concerned about showing our statement of intent to one of the top teams in the comp. Beating them away will definitely put us in a strong position. 

Edited by MHFC-FAN
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Fair call, I was more concerned about showing our statement of intent to one of the top teams in the comp. Beating them away will definitely put us in a strong position. 

No I think the point you make is valid. A win tomorrow without doubt will make a huge statment. 

Starting:

Sorensen

Malik     Kisnorbo    Hughes

Franjic        Melling    Paartalu      Zullo

Mooy

Fornaroli     Novillo

SUBS :

Bouzanis   Clisby   Caceres  Fitzgerald   Retre

Then perhaps :

Sorensen

Clisby    Kisnorbo    Malik   Zullo

Caceres  Paartalu   Melling

Mooy

Fornaroli     Novillo

Edited by raw10

9 hours ago, Dylan said:

I think the short turn around is going to hurt us this week. So probably another reason why JVS will set us up for the smash n grab

This isn't the AFL where they are paranoid about turn arounds. 4 day turn around is nothing in football. Most European clubs do it week in, week out. Won't be (shouldn't be) an issue.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, heart_fan10 said:

Zullo will keep up with him.

Fully fit squad for this match against a fully fit WSW, should be a cracker. Probably one of the biggest games our club has been involved in so far

I question his defensive ability and a safer bet would be Clisby, hope to be proven wrong tbh.

Edited by playmaker

49 minutes ago, JC22 said:

Biggest home and away match we've ever played?

Not really. Definitely 1 vs 2 is significant but being round 17 and 11 games to play (including this one) reduces it a bit. We've had some big games before were we've needed to win to make finals and obviously lost. Not sure if biggest but definitely big in context for this season. 

2 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I reckon it's possible as well. The feeling I've got the last month is if the team can somehow get to the top for one round it'd be enough to drive them to not give it up and stay there. 

I'm leaning the other way. 3 points separate top 5 teams 11 games to go. Big chance of losing 3 or 4 and falling into the finals. Tonight will be telling and a dull draw may we be the best tactic.

1 minute ago, Jovan said:

I'm leaning the other way. 3 points separate top 5 teams 11 games to go. Big chance of losing 3 or 4 and falling into the finals. Tonight will be telling and a dull draw may we be the best tactic.

Quite possibly. But out of al the teams around us we have the best run of games over the next 5 games. 

image.thumb.png.4158551be6427dfe60d805f5

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Quite possibly. But out of al the teams around us we have the best run of games over the next 5 games. 

I guess my point isn't really who we play in the run in more that we are now at rd 17 and alot of soccer is still to be played and secondly I am almost expecting our usual form slump.

21 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I reckon Brisbane have an easier run than us over the next 5...

Weather in Sydney is shit (as usual) so it's going to be a wet and wild night. Not sure if this helps or hinders either team, but I reckon it'll be a bit scrappy. Lots of shooting at range and trying to bounce them in front of Redders I hope. He's bound to fuck up.

• Like 1

The A-League is such that with 11 matches to go no club is statistically out of the finals. Again this season this is the case. Unlikely, of course, that Central Coast can make it into the six, but possible, especially with Garcia on board.

IMO our biggest problem is still mental. We saw again against Wellington our weakness in the final two minutes of the first half, and even though in the end it was a comfortable win on the scoresheet we should have put the game out of reach of the Kiwis with at least two more goals long before they scored.

Six of our last nine matches are at home. IMO the key thing from now on in away matches, especially against a top six side, is not to lose.

So a draw will be a good result for us.

1 minute ago, Jovan said:

I guess my point isn't really who we play in the run in more that we are now at rd 17 and alot of soccer is still to be played and secondly I am almost expecting our usual form slump.

Yeah I get it. It could very well happen but I believe the only way that could happen will be more than likely down to JVS. He mentioned about it being the first time in the clubs history they are in a potential top of the table position.  I back our players because so many of them have already been in these positions before. But as far as his record is concerned he's the least experienced in this position, as a coach anyway. Can he deliver the right mentality as a leader of our team? The answer to that will be key to where we finish.

6 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Yeah I get it. It could very well happen but I believe the only way that could happen will be more than likely down to JVS. He mentioned about it being the first time in the clubs history they are in a potential top of the table position.  I back our players because so many of them have already been in these positions before. But as far as his record is concerned he's the least experienced in this position, as a coach anyway. Can he deliver the right mentality as a leader of our team? The answer to that will be key to where we finish.

Agree totally. Tonight will be very interesting. 

12 minutes ago, loriente said:

I reckon Brisbane have an easier run than us over the next 5...

Weather in Sydney is shit (as usual) so it's going to be a wet and wild night. Not sure if this helps or hinders either team, but I reckon it'll be a bit scrappy. Lots of shooting at range and trying to bounce them in front of Redders I hope. He's bound to fuck up.

Adelaide is the best in form team. Don't worry about their ladder position, they're what, 8 games unbeaten, winning 6 of those. Perth has been getting better and better and are a real bogey team for anyone. Brisbane have been in a slump form the last few games, so I believe they're in a dangerous position if these teams continue to perform well and they don't recover. Plus they have Sydney away this week who will be just as desperate to make up for the loss last round.

Edited by n i k o