Melbourne Football

Rd: 16 City vs Wellington 25th @ 19:30

MHFC-FAN

Aside from the world class strike from Roly, we destroyed Wellington. Caceres is rock solid, I didn't see enough of Malik or Fitzgerald to comment.

Our fluidity in the midfield and forward third was too much for Wellington. At times it was like a training drill.

Clean sheet continues to elude us but we just need continuity. Our defensive makeup seems to alter every week. If we can keep the same players for a few weeks in a row we will be in the best position come finals.

• Like 2

Like Melling at the back, gives us that extra bit of pace playing with the 3 and is out to close down the free man before he gets time to exploit the space. Caceres was Caceres, good in spells then invisible, I'd personally prefer Malik and give Franjic and Zullo that license to bomb forward knowing 1 of Malik or Erik will cover if we turn the ball over. 

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

First defend Koren. Now Zullo average? :droy: as accurate as a horoscope

What did he do then? Not much. Weak disposal, nothing really productive a part from a shot and one other run forward that he turned over.

Compared to Franjic on the Right that dominated the wing, no comparison, especially when we need drive from our wings in a 3 5 2 formation.

And against a crap side, he will be handed his arse next week.

8 minutes ago, playmaker said:

What did he do then? Not much. Weak disposal, nothing really productive a part from a shot and one other run forward that he turned over.

Compared to Franjic on the Right that dominated the wing, no comparison, especially when we need drive from our wings in a 3 5 2 formation.

Even before his very nice ASSIST for Harry's first goal, early on he showed great drive down the wing. In one play, he ran at least half the pitch, past the full back and put a great ball in which could have ended up as a goal. 

EDIT: that run I'm talking about was the shot that almost beat Moss at the top corner. He made another surging run afterwards which ended up with Franjic having a chance on his left foot.

Edited by hakz7
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, playmaker said:

wtf, Zullo was probably MOTM lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, silva10 said:

Do you mean it wasn't Sorenson's fault? Luke will be disappointed!

Sorenson the useless bastard couldn't stop a world class strike hit like a rocket launcher with just the right amount of spin to skim the post and go into the top left corner. (Mind you had a bloody guy try at stopping it)

Great team performance. Apart from the miracle goal Wellington never really threatened and we just put them to the sword. Pick a few things out:

Zullo - starting to show his class now. Great assist.

Paartalu- one of his best games for City. Bossed the first half, more average in the second though.

Novillo - red hot

Malik - so good to have quality come on off the bench and make a difference 

Caceres. Our 11th best of the starting lineup, but early days.

1 hour ago, NuggetsMcGreggor said:

The goal we conceded had a lot to do with Retre losing the ball on the right. He looked shit on the ball when he came on. Made some crucial tackles but forgot how to pass and hold the ball. 

From what I remember it had all to do with Paartalu yet again turning the ball over easily. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, n i k o said:

From what I remember it had all to do with Paartalu yet again turning the ball over easily. 

Yep 100% Paartalu though Retre looked off when he came on too. 

.. but probably the best 60 mins I've seen from us. Really played the ball around well.

We are starting to sync very well.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Great team performance. Apart from the miracle goal Wellington never really threatened and we just put them to the sword. Pick a few things out:

Zullo - starting to show his class now. Great assist.

Paartalu- one of his best games for City. Bossed the first half, more average in the second though.

Novillo - red hot

Malik - so good to have quality come on off the bench and make a difference 

Caceres. Our 11th best of the starting lineup, but early days.

Fark I must have been at the wrong game.

Franjic close to BOG dominating the right side which fell to preices when he went off

And Caseres getting the hard ball all night, good composure

partaalu a joke

Zullo good work rate but weak passing, the bombed assist gave home BOG apparently

Melling good at the back, actually the back 3 were very well organised.

Mooy average by his standards but brilliant as always

Fitzgerald is a speed freak with decent disposal.... I like

Malik solid, very solid

Clisby in next week will be a good in against WSW.

Summary according to a horoscope or a troll, or full retard whatever you almighty gods decide. 

Edited by playmaker

Franjic didnt have  goo first half, McGlinchey had the beating if him time and time again.

Would say Zullo or Paartaluu man of the match. To predictable when we get ball to feet with Fornaroli, the amount of times he tried the 1-2 at the end and he turned it over was 1 time to many.

A brilliant double header of football. 

Melbourne City destroyed Wellington in the first half, and the rest of the game was a formality. Our front 3 lead the way, and now with our best fullbacks Zullo and Franjic--able to get forward and attack regularly knowing there's 3 central defenders behind them--our team has the width to produce more complete attacking and defending performances. Zullo in particular I thought was very lively (his assist for Novillo was a peach), and I can see Zullo and Novillo consistently being dangerous together down the left flank.

Caceres had a quiet or disciplined debut. He didn't get forward a lot and spark attacks, which seemed to be his main asset when he was at CCM, but he didn't make any real mistakes either and generally positioned himself well and screened the back four (although I wouldn't mind seeing a replay of where he was for Wellington's goal). Paartalu IMO had a strong first half, especially with regards to breaking up play and defending, but did seem to fall away as the match when on.

And Novillo and Fornaroli continue to produce the all-important goals. All 3 goals were very well taken, and it's crazy when one looks as the stats how influential Mooy, Fornaroli and Novillo are.

Great stuff from the team, and Melbourne City is continuing to deliver and set good standards. An especially solid crowd of 10,800 considering the tennis is on, and those numbers should only swell given the entertaining brand of winning football the team is playing.

Well watched the game tonight. It did stop about 6 minutes before the end because of the delays though.

Quite simply I thought this was our best overall display of the season. Scintillating going forward and solid at the back. 

When Bruno and Harry are firing they are unstoppable. The great thing about all our goals was that there was no luck involved in any of them. The Wellington defence didn't concede possession, miss a tackle or fail to pick up a man. We just produced great football when scoring all three and creating a few more chances that on another day may have seen us score 6 or 7.

Even though Aaron's passing wasn't at it's best, he still produced real moments of quality.

Paartalu got around the pitch and did a lot of good things, and a couple of sloppy passes, but overall was very good. Alongside him Caceres played it simple. He positioned himself well to help protect the back four and when he had possession used it well. I felt he played within himself, and was just making sure he didn't make any mistakes. He showed a glimpse of his ability going forward when involved in the third goal. Showed determination to win the ball, and then lovely feet to play in Aaron, who slipped it Harry for a great finish.

The back 3 were at last solid. The fact Sorenson had barely a save to make, was evidence of that. I believe even though Clisby will be back next week, we have to keep Jacob there. He gave us that extra pace in there and showed more discipline.

Both fullbacks were very good tonight. They got forward at every opportunity and showed some good defending as well. During the game and at half time they waxed lyrical about Zullo, and rightly so, because I couldn't believe the pace and skill he played with. A completely different player to the few games we have seen before.

My view on Malik is he like Caceres played it simple and safe. I also liked the way he looked to see who was around him and was talking and pointing to the defenders to pick up players. Unfortunately, I didn't see much of Fitzgerald, so will wait and see how he does in the coming weeks.

Well that was a long post lol

Edited by silva10
  • Like 5

Great game last night! Loved the semi final too.

some thoughts... Caceras was excellent, very calm on the ball, will be a great signing.

fitzgerald looks like an excellent bench option and will also be able to start to rest others. Provided good run.

Liked the look of Malik too. If Paartalu continues to give the ball away cheaply then he will lose his spot to Malik quick smart.

Brunos goal was wonderful. Novillo a joy to watch tonight. The fact that Mooy can play average and still impact the match like he did says a lot about him. Zullo excellent too.

defence still looked shaky at times.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, n i k o said:

That's correct. Paartalu passed the ball 10m or so direct to a Phoenix player and the movement that produced the goal started right there. And it wasn't the first or last poor pass from him either. He got forward well enough and deserved a goal, but defensively I thought he had a poor evening.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

That's correct. Paartalu passed the ball 10m or so direct to a Phoenix player and the movement that produced the goal started right there. And it wasn't the first or last poor pass from him either. He got forward well enough and deserved a goal, but defensively I thought he had a poor evening.

The amount of times he turned over the ball was a joke, would have cost us more than 1 goal against a better side.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

Nevertheless, a great evening and some superb football on show. We could have had six or seven with an ounce of luck.

For the record, who provided the pass that set Tuna on his way for the first goal?

Zullo. 

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Zullo. 

Also the cross for the second goal. However, he was just average lol

31 minutes ago, playmaker said:

The amount of times he turned over the ball was a joke, would have cost us more than 1 goal against a better side.

Paartalu has been doing that since he joined us. The difference now is he is actually getting about the park and making tackles, as well as getting forward. He is one of those players who is always going to make errors. You just have to hope the good outweighs the bad, which he has been doing lately.

42 minutes ago, silva10 said:

Also the cross for the second goal. However, he was just average lol

Paartalu has been doing that since he joined us. The difference now is he is actually getting about the park and making tackles, as well as getting forward. He is one of those players who is always going to make errors. You just have to hope the good outweighs the bad, which he has been doing lately.

The problem with watching it on TV is you can't see what happens off the ball, and also can't see the drillings players get off the coach and other players because they are not positioning according to tactics.

The amount of times Partaalu, Zullo and Melling copped ear fulls was a true reflection on their errors in towing the team's tactical line.

Our weakness is turning over the ball in the midfield and wings and being out of position on the quick counter, it was no different last night, we were lucky they are crap side. If Partaalu and Zullo continue to turn the ball over next week we will get murdered. Franjic on the other hand is just solid and dependable,  doesn't give the ball up cheaply and is always applying pressure through marking or correct positioning.

Malik is very solid as DM and Caseres doesn't lose the ball cheaply either, everything looking up for next week.

Edited by playmaker
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, playmaker said:

you are fucking joking

Franjic was caught out of position on numerous occasions in the first half, and left our right side exposed

you're dreaming

Edited by japiedog
  • Like 2

good win, some really nice touches in the first half

we really should have bagged 5

did we take our foot of the pedal or did we legitimately tire ( as we normally do) in the last 30 minutes

our fading out has to be a concern against better quality and fitter teams, come finals

A mostly enjoyable game and a good crowd. A bit disappointing that most people only turned up after the scheduled finish of the womens game but it did mean that most were there for the penalty shootout. The citizenship ceremony was a great initiative but if we were a stud footballing country we would have marched Bruno out of the pre-game talk for his compulsory citizenship, personally bestowed by Ange.

Positives:

Never looked like losing

Bowie

Saint Bruno as always - his workmate, persistence, positioning and technique are a joy to watch

I was concerned to see Caceras walk into a starting spot, its a poor message as starting spots should be earned. After seeing how well he fits into the team and his contribution I've been convinced. Imagining the look of bitterness and envy on Graeme Arnold's face at not getting Caceras to SFC makes it even better.

Malik looked comfortable on and off the ball and looks like being a worthy contributor. Paartalu needs to lift his game.

Sorensen saved us yet again

Zullo - great attacking contributions but his defensive positioning needs to improve and leaves us vulnerable 

Franjic - we suffered both offensively and defensively when he came off.

Negatives:

This is a game where we should have kept a clean sheet. Bonevacia was given far too much time and space to get off his (good) shot

Still poor pass completion with that crucial first pass in attacking transition. The ball is often lost in midfield.

Our current formation leaves us defending far too narrow and this will be exploited by competent wingers.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, japiedog said:

you are fucking joking

Franjic was caught out of position on numerous occasions in the first half, and left our right side exposed

you're dreaming

Stop listening to the game on the radio.

10 minutes ago, Jestr said:

Playmaker and Luke ...., same person by any chance???

Who is Luke

5 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

A mostly enjoyable game and a good crowd. A bit disappointing that most people only turned up after the scheduled finish of the womens game but it did mean that most were there for the penalty shootout. The citizenship ceremony was a great initiative but if we were a stud footballing country we would have marched Bruno out of the pre-game talk for his compulsory citizenship, personally bestowed by Ange.

Positives:

Never looked like losing

Bowie

Saint Bruno as always - his workmate, persistence, positioning and technique are a joy to watch

I was concerned to see Caceras walk into a starting spot, its a poor message as starting spots should be earned. After seeing how well he fits into the team and his contribution I've been convinced. Imagining the look of bitterness and envy on Graeme Arnold's face at not getting Caceras to SFC makes it even better.

Malik looked comfortable on and off the ball and looks like being a worthy contributor. Paartalu needs to lift his game.

Sorensen saved us yet again

Zullo - great attacking contributions but his defensive positioning needs to improve and leaves us vulnerable 

Franjic - we suffered both offensively and defensively when he came off.

Negatives:

This is a game where we should have kept a clean sheet. Bonevacia was given far too much time and space to get off his (good) shot

Still poor pass completion with that crucial first pass in attacking transition. The ball is often lost in midfield.

Our current formation leaves us defending far too narrow and this will be exploited by competent wingers.

Great summary and agree the holes need to be plugged