Melbourne Football

Rd: 16 City vs Wellington 25th @ 19:30

MHFC-FAN

7 hours ago, Jovan said:

Okay.  I just assumed it had been announced.  So actually it's just speculation at this point.

Yeah I fell for that too.

We all know any business deal can fall over prior to the ink hitting the paper. If Malik plays (I gather pissants play first?), it's safe to assume that the deal is far from finalised.

Think we'll go with this on Monday night.

Sorensen

Franjic Hughes Kisnorbo Zullo

Paartalu 

Melling Mooy

Caceres Fornaroli Novillo

Subs : Bouzanis Retre Kuzi Trifiro Garrucio

We're fucked if Kisnorbo or Hughes get sent off...

in in saying that, too much firepower against a toothless nix, 4-0

Edited by bt50

15 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Think we'll go with this on Monday night.

Sorensen

Franjic Hughes Kisnorbo Zullo

Paartalu 

Melling Mooy

Caceres Fornaroli Novillo

Subs : Bouzanis Retre Kuzi Trifiro Garrucio

We're fucked if Kisnorbo or Hughes get sent off...

in in saying that, too much firepower against a toothless nix, 4-0

Why can't clisby be on the bench?

2 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Just a thought - we know that Mooy is recovering from fractured ribs. Given where Wellington are at, would it be OK to rest Mooy? No need to further risk his recovery.

I woud not be comfortable with this at all.

-To keep up with the pack we absolutely need three points

- With the kids go free offer we should get a big crowd and hopefully a lot of new faces

- its against a team we should easily dismantle 

Three massive red flags that this is a danger game. If we go in with even a slightly complacent attitude it could really backfire.

*edit- having said that, if we can rest mooy and still get the job done it would be a huge statement 

Edited by KSK_47

I think also the real big problem is Bruno, Erik and Harry are all on 4 yellows. Any of these guys pick up a yellow and we are in trouble with WSW  coming up.

Hopefully they can all get through this game unscathed and maybe some judicious management of some shirt pulling see a yellow against the WSW and miss the Jets and be available for the next Derby.

Edited by Ray

Well with Fitzgerald and Malik available, we should have some better options off the bench. I guess our 16 will be:

Sorenson, Bouzanis

Franjic, Kisnorbo, Hughes, Malik, Zullo, Garuccio

Fitzgerald, Caceres, Mooy, Paartalu, Melling, Retre

Novillo Bruno

Whatever the first 11, we should have some good options off the bench.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, silva10 said:

Well with Fitzgerald and Malik available, we should have some better options off the bench. I guess our 16 will be:

Sorenson, Bouzanis

Franjic, Kisnorbo, Hughes, Malik, Zullo, Garuccio

Fitzgerald, Caceres, Mooy, Paartalu, Melling, Retre

Novillo Bruno

Whatever the first 11, we should have some good options off the bench.

So Kuzi Trfiro and Dekker get omitted. Bit harsh for Trifiro who has been reasonable his last few runs. I think it would be risky bringing 3 new players into the squad. Maybe Fitzgerald and Caceras depending on how they've trained but Malik would be way too soon. 

Just now, Jovan said:

So Kuzi Trfiro and Dekker get omitted. Bit harsh for Trifiro who has been reasonable his last few runs. I think it would be risky bringing 3 new players into the squad. Maybe Fitzgerald and Caceras depending on how they've trained but Malik would be way too soon. 

To be honest Jovan I think Kuzi and Dekker are being selected because of the lack of options. I think Trifiro has done okay, but whenever I have seen Fitzgerald I have thought he has done okay, and for me is a better player. I can't see Caceres being left out and if Malik has been training with Adelaide, then he must have some fitness. 

It will be interesting to see what is the final squad, but at least we have some competition. Even more so, if we do sign a guest player and Marquee before the transfer window ends.

• Like 1

Melbourne City could play new signings Osama Malik and Nick Fitzgerald against Phoenix
January 23, 2016 8:03pm
David DavutovicHerald Sun
Up Next

Cristian Gonzalez corner golazo in Youth League Final

NEW Melbourne City signings Osama Malik and Nick Fitzgerald could debut at home to Wellington Phoenix on Monday after the club confirmed their signings.

As revealed by the Herald Sun, City secured Adelaide United defender Malik after agreeing to release talented young midfielder Stefan Mauk the other way, with Fitzgerald joining on a free transfer after he was released by Central Coast.

Malik, 25, has signed until 2018, while Fitzgerald has stayed until the end of the season, joining former Mariners teammate Anthony Caceres.

Coach John van’t Schip said the signings bolster City’s depth.

“Our focus during this transfer period has been to further support our existing squad members and provide additional depth in key positions,” van’t Schip.

“We believe Osama and Nick add valuable experience, complement the squad and will be welcome additions.

“Meanwhile, Stefan has been a valuable contributor to the club and will pursue another opportunity, for which we wish him all the best.”

Mauk, 20, made most of his 34 A-League appearances in a breakthrough campaign this season, scoring four goals.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/melbourne-city/melbourne-city-could-play-new-signings-osama-malik-and-nick-fitzgerald-against-phoenix/news-story/2b2606be619d95cff7404a7fee299c6b

Ivan Franjic set to return for Melbourne City ahead of Wellington A-League clash

Matt Windley

24 January 2016

IT HAS been a revolving door of players off the field at Melbourne City of late and fans can be prepared for a flow-on effect on the pitch tonight.

With the return of right back Ivan Franjic from a three-week quad injury and winger Steve Kuzmanovski also named in an extended squad, coach John van't Schip could make a plethora of changes to the starting line-up for the AAMI Park showdown with Wellington considering new signings Osama Malik, Anthony Caceres and Nick Fitzgerald are also available.

At least one change has to be made to the side that drew 2-2 with Perth last week as Jack Clisby is suspended, which poses the question as to the viability of the team's new-look 3-5-2 formation.

Clisby had been lining up alongside Patrick Kisnorbo and Aaron Hughes in the back three, but whether van't Schip is prepared to throw Malik straight in to the fray remains to be seen considering the former Adelaide stopper only arrived in Melbourne on Saturday night.

Should he opt to return to a back four and play two attacking wingers to support striker Bruno Fornaroli, then that could pave the way for Fitzgerald to make his first City start.

Caceres, who, like Fitzgerald, moved from Central Coast last week, will battle with Jacob Melling and Erik Paartalu for the two holding midfield spots.

"We know now we can play both (a 3-5-2 or a 4-4-2)," van't Schip said.

"Getting Osama in is a big bonus in that because he can play in that (defensive) position or even higher up the field.

"It's something that we will look at depending on the situation and depending on the game, but it's good to have that option.

"We will see with the players we got in if we make a change, but we don't have to overthrow the whole team. We had nine games and only one loss, so we're making good steps."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/melbourne-city/ivan-franjic-set-to-return-for-melbourne-city-ahead-of-wellington-aleague-clash/news-story/367d34c0e688bf75dfa4170f6a7439b6

"City has been the busiest club in the competition during the January transfer window and is set to unveil a new-look match-day squad featuring all four new faces in Monday night's match at AAMI Park against Wellington Phoenix."

From Michael Lynch's article.

This should be interesting if true. We find it hard to hit targets as it is even with players who have had a solid pre-season together.

How will it work with Franjic (who can't play a solid ball in front of a player making a run or to their feet), Malik, Fitzgerald and Caceras (Who haven't played a game with the rest of the team). A team that relies too much on Mooy when he is playing, yes he's a quality player, but what if he goes down injured? Our team can't depend on one player to perform.

The hope of finishing on top of the table for an ACL berth is diminishing if we can't get a consistent run of accurate passing and finishing. Our only hope at the moment is to win the finals.

I have more doubts and hope than i do anything else.

Prove me wrong, City.

We will probably go back to a 4-3-3 for this given that Clisby is suspended and I doubt JVS would throw Malik in right away without training much with Hughes and Kisnorbo.

Sorenson

Retre        Kisnorbo     Hughes           Zullo

Paartalu                       Melling

Mooy

Caceras                Fornaroli                 Novillo

Franjic Malik FItzgerald Dekker Bouzanich

But what I want to see is

Sorenson

Hughes Malik Kisnorbo

Retre                                                  Zullo

Paartalu         Caceras           Mooy

Fornaroli      Novillo

Melling Franjic Dekker FItzgerald Bouzanich

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Deviant said:

I'd rather your 433, the gap behind caceras (352) is frightening. 

Our attack is good, our defense isn't. 

Still think the 352 is our best formation. Just need to coach the defence. Plus I think Malik will make a big difference in this formation

24 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Still think the 352 is our best formation. Just need to coach the defence. Plus I think Malik will make a big difference in this formation

I'd restructure it to a 3141 if you're hell-bent on 3 at the back, we need a CDM to drop for the counter attacking football that most teams play, ESPECIALLY victory.

Edit: And Kisnorbo to only sweep the backline.

Edited by Deviant
Because Kisnorbo shouldn't pass the ball, ever!

On 1/22/2016 at 8:01 PM, rass said:

Fuk mate, I walked away from a gambling problem. Don't tempt me back with ridiculous odds like that!

On 1/22/2016 at 3:53 AM, Tesla said:

It's only a problem if you aren't winning.

Tesla's tips are profitable.

You realise you just referred to yourself in the Third Person... 

Edited by cadete

25 minutes ago, bt50 said:

The more i see and read, the more I'm convinced that Fitzgerald will start at right wing, not Caceras.

Agree. I don't see Fitzgerald as a true midfield option just yet.

I prefer the 3-5-2 above.

I can't comment on Caceres yet, but IMO we can't win the title playing a 4-3-3 with Mooy, Melling and Paartalu as the starting midfield. 

Erik has been much better of late, yet can still get caught out of position. Melling gives his all but is still 'green' and inconsistent. 

The Gerrard talk may be purely speculative,  but he is exactly what we need in there with Mooy.

We should have some clarity when Malik, Caceres and Fitzgerald finally hit the park, but still think we need that one extra quality box to box to get us there. 

Edited by rass

I don't mind 3-5-2 as a plan B but I will be disappointed to see us persist with it, especially against teams who play 4-3-3. I have attached a couple of pages from Jonathan Wilson's book Inverting the Pyramid which has a part called the decline of 3-5-2. Most teams today play 4-3-3 and 3-5-2 is not effective against it due to 3 centre backs marking 1 centre forward. Also if the wingers in a 4-3-3 play high up the park and force the wingbacks to sit back it becomes 5-3-2.

The other example shows 3-5-2 being very effective against 4-4-2.

3-5-2 can be effective but if the opposition coach knows what he is doing it can be exploited.

decline of 3-5-2.JPG

finland vs yugoslavia.JPG