Melbourne Football

Casey Fields - City's new home

jw1739

29 minutes ago, citypool said:

Sorry I’m saying Brisbane moving to redcliffe would be the same as us moving from the city to Dandenong 

Dandenong is very different from Casey Fields. The stadium site proposed by Team11 adjoins Dandenong Station and is therefore manageable by PT - it was for that reason that people - including me - were happy to get behind the Team11 proposal.

Last time I drove by it seemed that the site might be being developed for another purpose. I didn't pay too much attention because of the traffic, but maybe a local could update us on that?

Without knowing any inside info, I would find it highly unlikely we would ever move from AAMI park.

Building a stadium would be amazing but with a fan base of between 5K and 15K it makes zero sense.

Playing a midweek cup game against a team with literally no away fans at a training ground isn't a big deal.

I'm personally torn about going tonight, currently prefer watching it from home, but at 6pm maybe will go for the drive. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

Without knowing any inside info, I would find it highly unlikely we would ever move from AAMI park.

Building a stadium would be amazing but with a fan base of between 5K and 15K it makes zero sense.

Playing a midweek cup game against a team with literally no away fans at a training ground isn't a big deal.

I'm personally torn about going tonight, currently prefer watching it from home, but at 6pm maybe will go for the drive. 

It got postponed 

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

When I got told about the city move to casey, the guy mentioned that the team 11 stadium would be built by CFG and state government but haven't heard anything since and no idea if covid has changed things 

2 hours ago, Jovan said:

I think you'll find, as much as WU are a laughing stock at the moment, IF they get their stadium up and running correctly, they will become the pinnacle of the A-league off field. Having their own stadium opens up revenue streams that no other A league club has. This league is purely about ROI for owners. 

All WU need to do is hold conferences, the odd Super rugby match, maybe some motorsport events and potentially a concert or two a year, and their revenues will outdo the rest of the A-league. 

If CFG can construct a stadium that holds 15k, which they own, and obtain revenue from 12 months of the year, they will do it. In fact, they have been beaten to the punch by WU in doing so. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Centrehalf said:

I think you'll find, as much as WU are a laughing stock at the moment, IF they get their stadium up and running correctly, they will become the pinnacle of the A-league off field. Having their own stadium opens up revenue streams that no other A league club has. This league is purely about ROI for owners. 

All WU need to do is hold conferences, the odd Super rugby match, maybe some motorsport events and potentially a concert or two a year, and their revenues will outdo the rest of the A-league. 

If CFG can construct a stadium that holds 15k, which they own, and obtain revenue from 12 months of the year, they will do it. In fact, they have been beaten to the punch by WU in doing so. 

Of course, CFG don't have to actually own a stadium. They don't own the City of Manchester Stadium, it's on a 50-year(?) lease. What's important is that wherever we play we do indeed obtain revenue every day of every year, by way of non-football events, cafe/restaurant etc. etc. This is not rocket science. 

As far as I am aware, the only stadium that CFG has built and owns is the 7000-capacity Manchester City Academy Stadium where the Manchester City Women's team and the EDS youth team play home matches. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Stadium

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Of course, CFG don't have to actually own a stadium. They don't own the City of Manchester Stadium, it's on a 50-year(?) lease. What's important is that wherever we play we do indeed obtain revenue every day of every year, by way of non-football events, cafe/restaurant etc. etc. This is not rocket science. 

As far as I am aware, the only stadium that CFG has built and owns is the 7000-capacity Manchester City Academy Stadium where the Manchester City Women's team and the EDS youth team play home matches. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Stadium

They have 650 million put aside to build NYCFC a stadium. Could spend 25% of that and build an A-league quality stadium.

They will want to own a stadium, considering they pretty much own the league now. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone! First time poster - new City fan after the club moved 10 minutes away from my house!

Was down at Casey Fields for a kick yesterday afternoon with my kids. Looks like the new training pitch is nearly finished. But was wondering, does anyone here know when they’re going to construct the new building? Cant find any info anywhere. Going to be pretty sweet when it’s finished!

1 hour ago, AshR88 said:

Hi everyone! First time poster - new City fan after the club moved 10 minutes away from my house!

Was down at Casey Fields for a kick yesterday afternoon with my kids. Looks like the new training pitch is nearly finished. But was wondering, does anyone here know when they’re going to construct the new building? Cant find any info anywhere. Going to be pretty sweet when it’s finished!

Welcome!

I thought they were going to add another story on top of the existing building? Which pitch will be main training pitch for the team? The empty space north of the club house thought was allocated for a mini match ground/stadium.

All I can find are the below images on the blue print.

image.png.953af9ad5d2732e2e3bfd1f65555a02a.png

image.png.251cd33869b9533d1116c69a36c49398.png

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

Welcome!

I thought they were going to add another story on top of the existing building? Which pitch will be main training pitch for the team? The empty space north of the club house thought was allocated for a mini match ground/stadium.

All I can find are the below images on the blue print.

image.png.953af9ad5d2732e2e3bfd1f65555a02a.png

image.png.251cd33869b9533d1116c69a36c49398.png

Thanks!

Yeah, you’re definitely right about that second level, that’s what I was really curious about - when is that going to happen?

In that pic above its the square pitch that’s to the north-west (??) of the building that looks like it’s nearly done. I can only guess that’s going to be their main training pitch, because the rest of the pitches were here before City announced the move. Could be wrong though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AshR88 said:

Thanks!

Yeah, you’re definitely right about that second level, that’s what I was really curious about - when is that going to happen?

In that pic above its the square pitch that’s to the north-west (??) of the building that looks like it’s nearly done. I can only guess that’s going to be their main training pitch, because the rest of the pitches were here before City announced the move. Could be wrong though. 

Yeah the square space north west, or adjacent to the building. I thought they wanted to make a small match stadium there but it makes more sense for main training pitch. 

This was announced last year.

The Etihad City Football Academy (CFA) will sit within the Casey Fields Football Centre of Excellence. It will feature:

• an elite training pitch
  • four full-sized floodlit pitches
  • a two-story elite performance headquarters building
  • space for a 4,000-capacity mini-stadium to be created as part of a future stage three expansion.

The new CFA will be the centre of the club's academy, schools and community work. It will also include the City of Casey's grassroots football and community programs.

Some of the new facilities are already available for use. The new CFA will be fully completed in early 2022.

Edited by Mr MO

13 hours ago, fensaddler said:

We're probably more on target than Western United.

Not hard!

Maybe it was a misspeak and they meant the training pitch, cause that definitely looks almost ready to go.

And Mr MO is also right - when I was looking around it definitely looks like the space immediately next to the building has been cleared for a future show pitch. A little grandstand must be being put next to the building or on the other side one day. 

anyway, thanks for your help lads! It’ll be great to see it take shape

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
14 hours ago, citypool said:

Dunno how we continue playing at aami with the crowds we get 

What is the alternative? Melbourne has a predominantly radial train and tram system. If you're suggesting that we could move to Dandenong or Casey Fields, then we might gain some support from that specific area, but IMO we would lose a fair amount of the rest of the support we have. It just becomes too much of a hassle to go to and from matches.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 05/02/2023 at 6:22 PM, jw1739 said:

What is the alternative? Melbourne has a predominantly radial train and tram system. If you're suggesting that we could move to Dandenong or Casey Fields, then we might gain some support from that specific area, but IMO we would lose a fair amount of the rest of the support we have. It just becomes too much of a hassle to go to and from matches.

Couldn't agree more with this! It's already a pain in the bum when just about every weekend there is some works taking place on majority of train lines and it doesn't seem to get any better.. making the trek to Dandenong would be impossible for alot of people. Yeah you would attract the fan base that side of town but would lose alot who make the effort to go week in week out at AAMI. I don't believe the location is one if the core reasons we struggle to get fans IMO.

I get the vibes that our fan base if compared to AFL is more like the Melbourne, Geelong or Hawthorn fan base, a bit turn up to a game when it suits. We get a decent amount of support in the Finals.  Whereas Victory is more Collingwood, Richmond, Carlton or Essendon a lot more turn up religiously, WU is Footscray lucky to have fans. I was at GA end last game and there was a lot of families from kids who were doing the half time walk for the Casey area clubs. That might be the start of a larger fan base in future.

23 hours ago, Le Hack said:

I get the vibes that our fan base if compared to AFL is more like the Melbourne, Geelong or Hawthorn fan base, a bit turn up to a game when it suits. We get a decent amount of support in the Finals.  Whereas Victory is more Collingwood, Richmond, Carlton or Essendon a lot more turn up religiously, WU is Footscray lucky to have fans. I was at GA end last game and there was a lot of families from kids who were doing the half time walk for the Casey area clubs. That might be the start of a larger fan base in future.

Every club in the a league should be averaging 10k the atmosphere is pretty average at aami with the crowds we're getting. At least everyone who turns up is a hardcore fan and into the match though 

5 hours ago, citypool said:

Every club in the a league should be averaging 10k the atmosphere is pretty average at aami with the crowds we're getting. At least everyone who turns up is a hardcore fan and into the match though 

Unfortunately @citypool there is no "should" about it. The problem with the A-League is that people are interested in A-League football, but they are not emotionally invested in it. They go along to watch rather than to support. And if City is anything to go by, the clubs do little or nothing to encourage emotional investment. The two most recent emails I have received just illustrate the point - one advertising a brand of menswear and today's about "pride." For me, these things have nothing whatsoever to do with football. Do either resonate with our junior members? Nothing about how various players are going with their injuries, and the club can't be bothered to check its cut and paste job on the squad for the Macarthur match.

I feel that I am being addressed more as a customer of a bank or a retail store than as a fan. And, IMO, that is why slowly but surely people lose interest in the club. The reason I keep going on this Forum is that I find out on here more about "what is going on" than ever I do from the club web-site or club correspondence.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
36 minutes ago, HughJass said:

CFG has been bulldozed, new facility is on plenty rd next to the mini golf 

Such a waste for a country which deliberately doesn’t provide enough room and facilities for grassroots level. I would have thought that something better could have been done with it.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Such a waste for country which deliberately doesn’t provide enough room and facilities for grassroots level. I would have thought some better could have been done with it.

Cost to maintain it would have been horrendous. 

Real shame.

FV should have dropped some artificial pitches, ive been told they cost approx 1million each to lay.

But to see that is shocking. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Cost to maintain it would have been horrendous. 

Real shame.

FV should have dropped some artificial pitches, ive been told they cost approx 1million each to lay.

But to see that is shocking. 

That pitch was already a hybrid semi artificial pitch. Was state of the art at the time. A club or any football academy could have easily utilized it. Can’t imagine this being any more maintenance than other pitches, probably even less if you read the properties below. It can be restored of course. What a shame.

https://www.sporteng.com.au/hybrid-turf-for-melbourne-city-fc-training-field-vic

Edited by Mr MO

Very disappointing to see such a waste of facilities. It shits me to see the lack of co-ordination throughout FFA.  An NPL club could have used them, surely? I live close to Linton Street, St. Kilda's old home ground. The State government is pouring money into redevelopment there, just for training and AFLW matches. Meanwhile we'll play an Australia Cup match at Jack Edwards Reserve with just 400 seats and no terraces or embankments...

7 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

I think this was an active decision by LaTrobe to remove the facilities FYI - there wasn't really an option from the FFV or FFA to do anything about it.

Yes, I believe we paid only a peppercorn rent for the land and buildings. But we spent $12m on the pitch didn't we? And Lord knows how much on the facilities for the men and later the women. A waste whichever way you look at it.

20 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Yes, I believe we paid only a peppercorn rent for the land and buildings. But we spent $12m on the pitch didn't we? And Lord knows how much on the facilities for the men and later the women. A waste whichever way you look at it.

Have to remove all fixtures make good to blank canvas when departing lease 

• 3 weeks later...

Was out at Casey Fields Today and was amazed at the progress with the new HQ building.

Looks almost complete.

Did not realize that a grand stand was part of the development.

Anyone know how many can be seated?  I am guessing 500ish??

The area in front of the Grand Stand is a sunken mess which will take a lot of work to make into a proper pitch.

Interestingly the area to the North of the potential pitch already has a ramped area which would make a good standing room area behind the goals.

IMG_2562.jpeg

IMG_2559.thumb.jpeg.ea5a94a7107c7c79e9016e6f2e2f9a01.jpeg

IMG_2564.thumb.jpeg.9f70ebdf1a40b0c2a2f2231bb7bab745.jpeg

• Like 2