Melbourne Football

Round 7 - Roar vs City Friday 20th November

Baka1

5 minutes ago, malloy said:

I think this is probably the best result.  We didn't lose to JA and I doubt a point has saved JVS's ass. He is gone imo. It might take two weeks, but I think the decision has been made (or will be made in the next couple of days) and there is no coming back from it.

This.

JVS only keeps his job if we can win a heap in a row

We have 2 wins from 7 games so far. If JvS has a performance target to be in top 4 this year, then we need to finish with at least 12 wins or better. We have 20 games to go meaning that we have to win 10 games from here for a win ratio of 50%. Seems out of reach for Mr 30% but I could be wrong.

Odd selections brought about by injuries to 30 y.o + players. Melling at CB wasn't a bad pick after all but the entire backline looked a little shaky. 

Our two best chances came from GK mistakes (if I didn't know better I would say that Young was paid to fix the result, that was how bad those mistakes were).

Just another typical City result really. It is strange because I find myself caring less and less about the result with JVS in charge. 

I just know that wins will inevitably be followed by losses, such is the nature of our results with JVS in charge. The lack of consistency is a big, big problem and not one that he can fix.

• Like 2

Something of an inkblot test that game. Either you see Melbourne City scoring a lucky goal from a defensive mistake, and getting their comeuppance by conceding after Brisbane had the majority of possession. Or you see City scoring away from home and only conceding due to some special football from marquee Broich and Henrique, which broke down an otherwise resilient and organised makeshift defence.

IMO we were impressively organised and compact in defence, and gave Brisbane few chances to score against our makeshift defence. Our defending was much better than I feared it would be. Clisby in particular showed he is a very good tackler (his positioning is so-so, but his tackling ability made up for it on multiple ocassions). Also Paartalu was solid in midfield, and noticeably put a foot in to break up Brisbane's attack on numerous occasions (6 tackles and interceptions together, and 3 clearances). Moreover on our midfield there were some freakish good passing numbers (there was some good ball circulations, on those occasions when we had possession, I guess..): Mooy 38 passes, 84% passing accuracy, 5 shot assists, Paartalu 58 passes, 88% passing accuracy, Retre 36 passes, 94.4% passing accuracy.

We need to do more in attack, but I guess Mooy played 45 minutes overseas on Tuesday, Gameiro could barely last 71 minutes (although it was good to see him play 71 minutes, and he showed some good moments in the first 25 minutes), and Novillo played his first 90 minutes in several months and scored a goal. Fornaroli was poor by his very high standards, however one off game is forgivable given his 5 goals in 7 games record IMO.

So there's different reasonable ways to view that 1-1 draw IMO. But by far the most important thing is how the team backs up on Friday next week against Perth at AAMI. We'll know by then whether the treadline shows improvement or decline.  

• Like 2

Lol at Aloisi's comments post-game:

“It’s anti-football. We’re trying to grow the game in this country and they go and play anti-football like that, it’s disappointing,” Aloisi said.

“We’ve been going on about it for a while. Thomas has been copping fouls for a long time.

“It just destroys the good football we want to see.”

“I didn’t have the money that they’ve got to play a certain style of football. I didn’t have that money,” the Roar boss said of his time in charge at City.

“I’m not saying I haven’t (got good players) because I have got good players here (in Brisbane) and that’s why we play this style of football.

“Fornaroli, one of the best strikers in the league if not the best. Mooy, one of the best players in the league if not the best.

“That’s my question. You come here and you play football like that? To stop the game?”

Piss off JA- we had a completely makeshift back 4. His players are making him look good! Having said that- when Theo and  De Vere are fit and they have both Spaniards in midfield , they will have a darn good side. 

I would trade Sorenson ( and his visa spot) for Corona/Andreu any day of the week. 

Edited by tommac