Melbourne Football

Memberships 2015-16

Red or Dead

I got my membership again but tbh I'm not sure why.

I had strongly disagreed with all who said "heart is dead, city is a new club"

I was wrong, they were right. 

So I will be there with my other 3 tragic supporters, watching the game, but I have to ask........

How do you guys motivate yourself to love this new shiny.....thing, I'm struggling.

there's no real alternative tbh

I'm over how many buy season tickets. How many turn up on game day. They (CFG) have brought in some dude to run things better. It's still early days but I think he's done f all. 

There's still enough time to build momentum and interest but I have zero confidence in them getting it right. 

1st thing on the agenda should be sorting out the FFA Cup game and making it a positive if they stuff this up then it's going to be another season of nonsense. 

• Like 2

I got my membership again but tbh I'm not sure why.

I had strongly disagreed with all who said "heart is dead, city is a new club"

I was wrong, they were right. 

So I will be there with my other 3 tragic supporters, watching the game, but I have to ask........

How do you guys motivate yourself to love this new shiny.....thing, I'm struggling.

I'm still trying to convince myself that Melbourne City is still The Heart and I will again this season be wearing my heart polo and scarf to the games and like Niko, I too just love watching games live so I'll continue to sign up as a member since I attend all home games.

The way I (choose to) see it, last season my key-ring said 'Inaugural' and my wife's said '4th Year' so if they're recognising our years as Heart members then it's still the same club.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got another re-join email today. Trying to use the free Cup entry as a big selling point, it didn't work with me, not sure how many it will convince?

Free admission to the Cup match was announced on 14th August when the membership number stood at 5447. It is now (24th August) 5709. That's an increase of 262.

The increase in the same period before the announcement - 4th August to 14th August - was 132.

The free entry to the cup match has prompted more people to renew or join.

Edited by jw1739
Updated
  • Like 2

Free admission to the Cup match was announced on 14th August when the membership number stood at 5447. It is now (24th August) 5709. That's an increase of 262.

Its now 5815. Imo it's a job well done by the club in regards to this cup match. Hopefully they come up with some more successful ideas, not that stupid free membership crap.

Pirlo for 14 games.

Would be nice to see a guest player like Pirlo done properly this season. MLS regular season ends 26th of October with possible playoffs, so a mid or late season stint would mean they should be fit and free of other obligations. Unfortunately that's not ideal for selling memberships now.

I'm glad membership numbers are down, it sends the club a clear message that mediocrity isn't going to be tolerated any longer.

Yep.  Not just mediocrity on the field, mediocrity (in fact that's probably paying them a compliment they don't deserve) in terms of fan engagement*.

*By fan engagement I don't mean meaningless bull like a global citizens campaign, I mean, for example, telling us how long our star guest player is staying and mentioning it, at least in passing, when he is leaving.

As many have said before, membership numbers are CFG's problem.  if they want to fix it, they'll need to pull their collective fingers out.  

The number sits at 5,831 at the end of the "free ticket to the FFA Cup match" offer period. There are 45 days to go to the first match, about 60 to our first home match, to we look like heading for a final figure of 7,000 or so.

There's little room to move in terms of signings. The final visa place looks like going to Sorensen, and then there will be probably 2-3 squad-fillers to make up the numbers; none of these will raise the excitement level much if at all.

Success in the Cup might kick things along a bit, but other than that all that is really left is a guest player signing out of the top drawer. And after what happened last season IMO people will be very wary of jumping on board too quickly.

As Shahanga has said, it's CFG's hole and they're going to have to dig themselves out of it.

Yep.  Not just mediocrity on the field, mediocrity (in fact that's probably paying them a compliment they don't deserve) in terms of fan engagement*.

*By fan engagement I don't mean meaningless bull like a global citizens campaign, I mean, for example, telling us how long our star guest player is staying and mentioning it, at least in passing, when he is leaving.

As many have said before, membership numbers are CFG's problem.  if they want to fix it, they'll need to pull their collective fingers out.  

I bet if you won a trip to Manchester or New York via Citizens you would be praising it.

The increase in the same period before the announcement - 4th August to 14th August - was 132.

The free entry to the cup match has prompted more people to renew or join.

How was it announced on the 14th? Social media?

I got an email on the 18th, and I assume everyone else did? My email was at 2:56pm. On the 18th, around 2pm, a large increase in memberships started, it's possible others received the email earlier. The next day, the 19th, was a huge day in terms of membership numbers, either people responding to the previous day's email or that's just when some of the numbers were entered/updated from the previous day.

Then it was relatively stable until yesterday. yesterday was massive, not sure what caused that. I have a feeling some of it might be memberships being entered from over the weekend. Not sure how it works, I'm guessing online memberships are straight away counted in the figure while maybe phone/post ones are entered manually? But either way, there was another email about the match on the 21st and with it approaching, a huge jump in membership numbers.

Today was pretty huge too, clearly the FFA cup match is getting people to sign up.

Edited by Tesla

I bet if you won a trip to Manchester or New York via Citizens you would be praising it.

not going to happen as I'm not in the programme, because  I don't support Manchester City and I don't follow any clubs in the MLS & don't want anyone to get the idea that I'm part of some "CFG supporter group" (which in itself is a ridiculous concept).

How was it announced on the 14th? Social media?

Today was pretty huge too, clearly the FFA cup match is getting people to sign up.

Yes, on social media. Actually on Facebook late on 13th, not sure about the specific time on Twitter. But definitely announced on 14th August.

And there's no doubt that the announcement has prompted people to renew or join.

only ever been an active member but watching the game on the wing last night was pretty fab and now I'm tempted to upgrade to Premium A, do I do it?

Nate, just think carefully. I've been Premium A from the start. The major disadvantage is that in most cases all the seats around you are allocated and so you can't take anyone with you and sit with them unless you go into the GA area. And everything up to about Rows G/H means you get wet when it rains, or again have to move to GA to stay dry. Luckily this season I've been able to move from Row F to Row R, safely under cover.

So my advice is that if you do it, make sure you do it over the phone and know exactly what seats you are getting.

• Like 1

Nate, just think carefully. I've been Premium A from the start. The major disadvantage is that in most cases all the seats around you are allocated and so you can't take anyone with you and sit with them unless you go into the GA area. And everything up to about Rows G/H means you get wet when it rains, or again have to move to GA to stay dry. Luckily this season I've been able to move from Row F to Row R, safely under cover.

So my advice is that if you do it, make sure you do it over the phone and know exactly what seats you are getting.

I don't ever go with anyone anyway so that's no issue and I don't really mind about rain either. 

More than anything, just concerned about value for money and the issue of probably not being able to attend every single home game

only ever been an active member but watching the game on the wing last night was pretty fab and now I'm tempted to upgrade to Premium A, do I do it?

I think the decision Nate is what game day experience you want?  I spent the first two seasons in GA near the active area for the atmosphere and noise for my kids.  They just loved it.  As my son grew to understand more about the game and wanted to observe the tactics, passing and matchups, I moved up the wing where you definitely have a better view for this. He loves analysing the game and we both enjoy discussion about how we are set up.  Also, it's far less frustrating watching the offside decisions from the wings!

Edited by Defibrillator

I think the decision

I think the decision Nate is what game day experience you want?  I spent the first two seasons in GA near the active area for the atmosphere and noise for my kids.  They just loved it.  As my son grew to understand more about the game and wanted to observe the tactics, passing and matchups, I moved up the wing where you definitely have a better view for this. He loves analysing the game and we both enjoy discussion about how we are set up.  Also, it's far less frustrating watching the offside decisions from the wings!

I want the best of both worlds ahaha

TBH I think there is a lot more to come from the club on the membership front, I'd be surprised if there isn't some serious advertising and corresponding uptake of memberships to come. Like I've said before, this isn't the Heart days where seemingly Munn was the only person working at the club in a non footballing role and the marketing budget came from what was saved by buying one less wheelie bin.

We'll have to wait and see but I do expect as the season gets closer that things will start moving along a lot faster and that 14k target won't seem so crazy. 

• Like 1

TBH I think there is a lot more to come from the club on the membership front, I'd be surprised if there isn't some serious advertising and corresponding uptake of memberships to come. Like I've said before, this isn't the Heart days where seemingly Munn was the only person working at the club in a non footballing role and the marketing budget came from what was saved by buying one less wheelie bin.

We'll have to wait and see but I do expect as the season gets closer that things will start moving along a lot faster and that 14k target won't seem so crazy. 

can see a guest stint again

can see a guest stint again

Agreed. Don't see why else 14k would be a ttarget. In fact I'm pretty much certain it's happening, and with a large marketing campaign to back it up.

The question is which one of the 3 we will get, strong cases for all of them but its probably not Lampard after all the shit with him going to man city. 

Agreed. Don't see why else 14k would be a ttarget. In fact I'm pretty much certain it's happening, and with a large marketing campaign to back it up.

The question is which one of the 3 we will get, strong cases for all of them but its probably not Lampard after all the shit with him going to man city. 

Surely if it happened it couldn't be Villa again. There'd be a lot of negative emotions around it after the way he and the club handled it last time, plus his novelty factor has already worn out.

Would have to be Lampard or Pirlo for me. 

Edited by Jimmy