Melbourne Football

Round 2 | The Melbourne Derby | Etihad stadium | 7:30PM Saturday 17th of October

Cityscape

Melbourne City goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen on high alert for Victory star Besart Berisha

David Davutovic

October 13, 2015

HE could write a thesis on Wayne Rooney, Sergio Aguero, Luis Suarez or Thierry Henry, but ‘keeper Thomas Sorensen admitted he’s had to up the homework load since arriving at Melbourne City.

The former Aston Villa, Sunderland and Stoke City star revealed that he’s already got mental notes on Besart Berisha, from their FIFA 2010 World Cup qualifying encounter.

Sorensen warned City teammates that they must be on high alert for the “clever” Berisha in Saturday’s Melbourne derby at Etihad Stadium.

Back in 2009, Berisha’s Albania lost 3-0 in Copenhagen to a star-studded Denmark that topped the group ahead of Cristiano Ronaldo’s Portugal and Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s Sweden, before the striker was an unused sub in the 1-1 draw.

“I’ve got more homework here then I would in England where you know the ins and outs,’’ Sorensen said.

“If I have to study them all week, I’ll study them all week, I’ll do what it takes.

“I played against Berisha when he played for Albania quite a few years back. He’s a goalscorer, he’s a clever player, he’s proven that down here so it’s someone that you’re always got to be aware of in and around the box because he’ll pop up.

“Similar to (Shane) Smeltz, they’re clever, you don’t give the many chances (or) they’ll score. That’s something we’ve got to be aware of.

“We’ll know the players and their strengths but it all comes down to a man to man thing, you can know everything about a player but you’ve still got to beat him on the pitch.’’

Sorensen impressed in his first official game since Stoke’s 2-1 win at West Brom on May 11, 2014, after playing second fiddle to Asmir Begovic last season.

Aaron Mooy was on a reduced load yesterday along with veteran Robert Koren and defender Connor Chapman, but the Socceroo is certain to return to the first XI for Saturday’s derby.

City must decide how many more changes to make for Saturday, with Michael Zullo an unused sub in Round 1.

Attackers Corey Gameiro and David Williams and midfielder Jacob Melling are pushing for selection after training strongly.

Winger Harry Novillo is nearing full fitness, doing a series of sprints, though he won’t be rushed in for the derby.

“You want the best team out there, but you also want a fit team. You don’t want someone who’s not where they should be, because if you’re not ready for the pace and everything else you’ll get caught out,’’ Sorensen said.

Sorensen, who’s played in two of England’s feistiest derbys — the Birmingham and the Tyne-Wear derby, in his 371 Premier League games, said being switched on was key.

“Funny things happen in derbys, everyone’s on edge and everyone wants to win,’’ he said.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-city-goalkeeper-thomas-sorensen-on-high-alert-for-victory-star-besart-berisha/story-fndkzvnd-1227568019191?from=public_rss

This is the first article I've read that suggests that Gameiro is a possibility of playing this weekend. That would make me much more optimistic about winning it. With Zullo and Mooy slotting in, and Melling and Willo on the bench, if Gameiro comes in to play alongside Fornoroli and Dekker, then we've got a pretty strong side!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pretty happy with the confirmed ins:

- Mooy fit enough to start (certain to replace Trifiro)

- Zullo fit enough to start (certain to replace Clisby)

- Melling and Williams fit enough for the bench

- Kuzmanovski fully fit

- Mauk should be back from the Olyroos

Together with the team that played Sydney that already is a strong A-League squad in my judgement. Gameiro would be awesome, but no need to rush him I'd say. Although I can't wait to see how impressive the squad is when Gameiro is fit as well, and Novillo and Franjic..

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 2

For those interested, away bay tickets are now available to the public.

http://www.ticketmaster.com.au/event/25004F2241692549?brand=&tm_link=tm_homeA_g1&hot_ticket_brand=home

FFS get ready for victory fans to infiltrate the bay :droy:

And UOTIH: This game much more important then FFA cup game. Who gives a fuck about the FFA cup. 

• Like 1

The FFA Cup cannot take us into Asia - the League can.

As for tickets now available for the away bay in the Derby, I sense that there is less interest in this fixture from City fans and neutrals this season. IMO it's a mistake to play these derbies too early in the season.

• Like 1

As for tickets now available for the away bay in the Derby, I sense that there is less interest in this fixture from City fans and neutrals this season. IMO it's a mistake to play these derbies too early in the season.

True however then there is also:

So Lisa I see the Trophies are out for cleaning again...

Edited by cadete
  • Like 3

We are 2 games away from something more prestigious than the Craig Foster Trophy. The FFA Cup is much more important than 1 league game. We need to focus on winning competitions, not winning individual derby games.

• Like 3

Tickets are overpriced for such a shit stadium, it needs to not sell out this time so they learn to make it cheaper next time.

I'm assuming tickets for the derby are more expensive than a regular Victory game at Etihad?

We are 2 games away from something more prestigious than the Craig Foster Trophy. The FFA Cup is much more important than 1 league game. We need to focus on winning competitions, not winning individual derby games.

What does the FFA cup do for us?

At the end of the season we may look back at this game, it could be the difference between us qualifying for asia or not which is a lot more prestigious then some fixed competition (in which a-league teams still dominate anyway)

Honestly winning the FFA Cup doesn't really excite me a lot. It's nice, but in no way comparable to winning the league or the grand final.

I agree. For me, making the ffa cup a priority is an admission we are not confident we can win the league. And if thats the case, i am sure people will be able to figure out how i feel about that.

I agree. For me, making the ffa cup a priority is an admission we are not confident we can win the league. And if thats the case, i am sure people will be able to figure out how i feel about that.

Of course you'd rather win the league or GF. I don't think anyone here would disagree with that.

I think people are interpreting this discussion as throwing away one for the other, which isn't really the case. I think you'll find that the talk out of the club will be that we want to win ALL of them and will be trying to do just that.

• Like 1

Of course you'd rather win the league or GF. I don't think anyone here would disagree with that.

I think people are interpreting this discussion as throwing away one for the other, which isn't really the case. I think you'll find that the talk out of the club will be that we want to win ALL of them and will be trying to do just that.

I understand that, but when it comes to things like resting key players, etc sometimes you have to make a choice which is more important to you. If they rest key players and risk losing three points in a league game so we can have a full squad for the cup match it sends a poor message IMO.

*Its like when a smaller team makes the FA cup final in England. They dont have a chance of winning the league, so they make the cup their priority, whereas those still in the title race make sure they do everything they can to pick up points even if it means risking having a weaker squad for the cup 

Edited by KSK_47

i doubt us winning this game will be the difference to winning the league.  there will be plenty other games that we will be able to blame

I understand that, but when it comes to things like resting key players, etc sometimes you have to make a choice which is more important to you. If they rest key players and risk losing three points in a league game so we can have a full squad for the cup match it sends a poor message IMO.

*Its like when a smaller team makes the FA cup final in England. They dont have a chance of winning the league, so they make the cup their priority, whereas those still in the title race make sure they do everything they can to pick up points even if it means risking having a weaker squad for the cup 

Yep.

I think what clouds it is that we have never won a trophy, so winning that would look very attractive. Plus there are so many players injured and just about ready to come back, we will really never know if they are actually ready on Saturday or better to wait for Wednesday.

FWIW though, my own thoughts are that they'll play the best possible line-up in both games.

FWIW though, my own thoughts are that they'll play the best possible line-up in both games.

I imagine that will be the case too.

It was just more in response to people who were saying progressing in the cup is more important than this game

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 1

I imagine that will be the case too.

It was just more in response to people who were saying progressing in the cup is more important than this game

I well and truly get and our behind your point about not wanting the club to have any "Heart Thinking" or in other words "Freo Thinking" left but the fact that we have finals down here means that league points are not as crucial as they are in say the EPL.

Edited by cadete

I well and truly get and our behind your point about not wanting the club to have any "Heart Thinking" or in other words "Freo Thinking" left but the fact that we have finals down here means that league points are not as crucial as they are in say the EPL.

pavlich is the best looking full forward to never win the league 

Yep.

I think what clouds it is that we have never won a trophy, so winning that would look very attractive. Plus there are so many players injured and just about ready to come back, we will really never know if they are actually ready on Saturday or better to wait for Wednesday.

If Mooy starts both games I think you could be right.

Honestly winning the FFA Cup doesn't really excite me a lot. It's nice, but in no way comparable to winning the league or the grand final.

Tesla we shouldn't have to choose, lets win both! Put it this way, if winning a derby costs us a chance to whip the visitors in the FFA Cup final it will be a real opportunity lost for the franchise. let's get into the FFA Cup Final, whip them there and then win the other 2 derbies and the Premiership