Melbourne Football

Bruno Fornaroli - "El Tuna"

Murfy1

3 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Unless there is a 5mil+ bid very unlikely. But who knows there have been crazy plays at the end of windows before.

I doubt it would take that much.

If I had to guess a transfer fee if this were to happen it would be $4m.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, heart_fan10 said:

we look shit enough as it is. Losing fornaroli would be an absolute disaster no doubt about it

When it looks like we've finally got someone to build our club and give us some identity it all gets thrown out the window. 

The club needs to come out and release a statement asap

Won't happen.

The club won't release a statement to refute speculation. 

23 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Who cares. Throw him in the box for some comedy relief 

By your previous post I assumed you were at training and was interested.

Obviously not and therefore pointless going any further. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

'I'm not Ronaldo' - Trophies not goals Fornaroli's focus

October 4, 2016

Melbourne City captain Bruno Fornaroli joked he's "not Ronaldo" but hopes to score even more goals to help land the club their first A-League title.

After scoring a record-breaking 25 goals last season, anticipation is high on the Uruguayan marquee striker to deliver again for John van 't Schip's star-studded outfit.

Speaking at the A-League launch on Tuesday, Fornaroli was keen to temper expectation and set a target for his goal return.

"We'll have to see, I'm not [Cristiano] Ronaldo," Fornaroli said when asked if he could better his phenomenal performances from last season.

"When I start each season I put short-term goals. You want to start and take confidence by playing good the first game.

"But of course for a striker you have to score. I don't think at the start of the year 'I want 28 or 30 goals', for me it's short term."

One thing Fornaroli is more certain of is City's title credentials after falling one game short of the grand final last season.

The 29-year-old admits the pressure is on the club to deliver silverware but Fornaroli wants his team-mates to embrace it as they strive to reach the next level.

"This is the real football. When you feel this pressure it's better for the team and better for everyone," he told the A-League's website. 

"You need to stay focused every time to try and win every game and we're ready for this.

"This year we have very good players like Neil Kilkenny, Luke [Brattan], Fernando [Brandan], [Nicolas] Colazo, Timmy [Cahill] and I think it will help us a lot.

"Yes we have a little bit more pressure to win the league but I like this and I want to win the league."

While City opens their season away at Wellington Phoenix on Saturday, much of the focus – from the fans at least – has already shifted to the blockbuster Melbourne derby against Victory in Round 2.

Asked about that match-up and which club was the biggest in Melbourne, Fornaroli said: "City is a big team. But to say the biggest in Melbourne you have to win the league first.

"I know the fans all look at the derby but we have to focus on Wellington because it is difficult to play there and they have a very good team this year.

"But we are ready. We want to start well and this is a game we want to win. Then we look at the derby."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/im-not-ronaldo-trophies-not-035955575.html

Why Bruno Fornaroli rejected big money offers to stay with Melbourne City

Matt Windley

October 2, 2016 

THE greatest fear of Melbourne City fans this off-season was that goal scoring sensation Bruno Fornaroli would leave the club.

But the man himself insisted he never entertained any thought of leaving, despite being the subject of big money offers elsewhere.

Fornaroli’s debut A-League campaign was stunning, with the Uruguayan’s 25 goals helping catapult City to its best-ever season.

The 29-year-old still had a year to run on a modest contract inside the $2.6m salary cap, but City chiefs quickly offered their rising star a three-year deal to become one of the club’s marquee players.

With Fornaroli back in Uruguay post-season, the multi-million dollar contract remained on the table for some time, but the dreams of City fans were realised when the man who has since become their captain re-signed in August.

“I had in my mind to stay,” Fornaroli said.

“When I went away on my holiday, I had not re-signed the contract but I had talked a lot with the club and I knew that when some things would be fixed with my contract I would re-sign.

“I am very happy here, the club has helped me so much and my family as well.

“I know I sign for three years, but I want to stay a long time. I want to be here because I feel at home and this is great for me.

“My wife loves it here, my little girl start to learn English — I need to learn too.

“This country opened the door for me and my family and I want to say thank you for this.”

Europe potentially beckoned for the striker, Uruguayan clubs inquired, while the cashed-up Chinese Super League also loomed.

But Fornaroli said none of those options boasted Melbourne’s money-can’t-buy opportunities, with No.1 on his list the potential to win City’s first title.

“When you finish the league and you score like last season, it’s normal that the offers come in,” he said.

“But not everything is about money. Money can’t buy everything in your life.

“I feel great inside this changeroom. This is the money can’t buy (experience).

“There were big offers, but sometimes you need to think about what is important. I am happy I take this decision.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/why-bruno-fornaroli-rejected-big-money-offers-to-stay-with-melbourne-city/news-story/bc30a1b2817c4d69098b5d1549c6af50

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Jovan said:

I don't know the bloke but from what I've seen and heard from him I reackon he is realist. We are just lucky he landed with us. Mirrors the whole Broich situation at Brisbane. 

Not quite - there is the rather large matter of silverware but then again they did not have JVS.

• Like 1

A-League captain’s poll shows Melbourne City forward Bruno Fornaroli the most feared player in competition

Tom Smithies

October 4, 2016

TIM Cahill has taken the headlines, but striker Bruno Fornaroli remains the player most teams fear in the A-League.

According to an exclusive poll of the team captains taken on the eve of the season, most expect Fornaroli to challenge for the Golden Boot he won last season — and more nominated him than any other player as the most difficult opponent in the competition.

Accentuating the level of expectation on Melbourne City and coach John van ’t Schip after their signing of Cahill to join Fornaroli in attack, half of the captains said they expected City to make the grand final next May.

Elevated to marquee and captain, Fornaroli has already combined once with Cahill to impressive effect, after Melbourne City sent Western Sydney tumbling out of the FFA Cup last month.

Though City will be shorn of the supply lines of Aaron Mooy this campaign, Fornaroli will be under pressure to repeat his scoring exploits from last season — with 28 goals in total last season.

The 10 A-League captains were asked the same six questions, to detail their view of their opponents just days before the competition kicks off on Friday night.

Asked to nominate a candidate for the Golden Boot excluding their own teammates, only three didn’t choose Fornaroli — opting instead for Roy Krishna, Andy Keogh and Jamie Maclaren.

A clear majority of the captains wanted the league to reconsider the question of hot weather surrounding afternoon kick offs, particularly in Perth and Brisbane. A-League bosses use the internationally recognised Wet Bulb Globe Temperature which takes into account air temperature, humidity, wind and radiation to determine if temperatures are safe to play in.

But beyond player welfare, some captains said the effect on the quality of games should be considered in scheduling games.

“It’s more from a spectacle point of view — it slows the game down and it’s horrible to play in. It’s not good for anyone,” was one typical response, though another captain noted that “it’s football — sometimes you play in all sorts of weather.”

Another noted that “I’ve played in some dangerous conditions — it needs addressing”, but it was also pointed out that high temperatures will always be a part of the competition given its summer scheduling.

Asked to nominate the best ground to play at, four chose AAMI Park — illustrating the importance of rectangular grounds to the games’ atmosphere. Three also chose Pirtek Stadium, suggesting Western Sydney may have lost a competitive advantage in switching to Spotless Stadium while Pirtek is rebuilt.

Among other answers, Sydney FC was the side most nominated to reach the grand final behind City, with two, while Matt MacKay of Brisbane was the player rated the most difficult opponent behind Fornaroli.

Asked to nominate a player from the A-League to be called up for the Socceroos, two each selected Rhys Williams and James Holland, both of whom won caps in the past and illustrating the quality of players returning for this season.

A-League captain’s poll:

7/10 say Bruno Fornaroli will win the Golden Boot

3/10 nominated Fornaroli has the most difficult opponent, more than any other

5/10 said Melbourne City will get to the grand final

7/10 said the A-League needs to reconsider games played in blazing heat

5/10 said AAMI Park was the best stadium for football in the A-League

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/a-league/aleague-captains-poll-shows-melbourne-city-forward-bruno-fornaroli-the-most-feared-player-in-competition/news-story/c85f111fa964356bb95a50ba405a7ba0

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rass said:

Probably going a bit far don't you think...

Leaving aside the melodrama in my comment :lol: , Bruno has been pretty consistent with his comments about wanting the team to do well, etc and that's well before his elevation to marquee status. He seems a pretty humble, down to earth guy and probably thankful for how things have turned out for him and his family here in Oz.

• jw1739 locked this topic