Melbourne Football

2015 City FFA Cup Campaign: Semi Final V The Cap Cheats in Perth

Dylan

defence looked horrible, midfield lost control of the game, no penetration from the forwards. Lost control and tempo.

Only positive is that we have more players who will return by December or so.

blokes on the bench who didn't come on looked good, oh and Aaron Mooy took 2 of the best free kicks you are ever likely to see.

Everyone is underestimating edgeworth. They are a very good team playing in a high standard semi professional league as well as being in great form where as we have basically a npl team which plays in a lower league and they don't even dominate it. For basically 90min of preseason leading into this game we did crap but we won this time at least. 

agreed as frustrating as it may seem did our job time to regroup and get majority of our side back in for round of 16. Plus opposition are in mid season and are actually match fit and match sharp.

Edited by drewmelbcity

randomly fell asleep and missed the game. 

But sounds like nothing new and just a rehash of a number of my posts has occurred tonight. 

No matter who we sign we will get no where with JVS. 

Novillo most overrated since Worm. 

Clisby is rubbish. 

Mooy is from another planet. 

No names on City jerseys tonight? How come?

They didn't have them on last game either 

we just needed to win this game and get through to the next round, no matter how ugly it was.

Our team has gone through a lot of changes and players were always going to be underdone. At least by the next round we should have practically a full strength squad and we will be much more settled. 

JVS speech writer this year? 

• Like 1

Real hard to watch. Disjointed, toothless up front and multiple players looked underdone.

The thing to remember is it's pre-season. We weren't Premier League standard because we held Man City for 85 minutes in our last pre-season match, and we aren't pure rubbish because we were so hard to watch in this pre-season match.

4 players who started in today's match will never get near the starting XI in the A-League season (Clisby, Mauk, Zinni, Dekker). Also Franjic will replace Retre, so that's half of this team to be replaced. And we'll actually have some real attackers, instead of multiple kids up front like Zinni and Dekker getting their first starts in a senior competitive match. Real goal-scorers up front will make a big difference to this team.

Some people will pretend context doesn't matter and will recite whatever dogmas they believe that, in their round-in-circles opinion, always explains the team's shortcomings. At the end of the day it's pre-season. I'm still pissed off that more of the team isn't assembled at this point, and the club staff deserve ample criticism for the slow rebuild. And there were numerous disappointing displays that deserve criticism--a really off game from Kisnorbo, poor distribution from Velaphi, and slow starts to both halves (something the coaching staff deserve ample blame for).

I hope to forget this match soon, and await Melbourne City to assemble more of the A-League team that we'll see, and produce much better performances in the several remaining pre-season games.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 4

I think every player we have signed needs to be capable of representing us in the a league. It is more  challenging when a number of less experienced players are asked to play  together. But they should still do better than tonight. 

• Like 2

randomly fell asleep and missed the game. 

But sounds like nothing new and just a rehash of a number of my posts has occurred tonight. 

No matter who we sign we will get no where with JVS. 

Novillo most overrated since Worm. 

Clisby is rubbish. 

Mooy is from another planet. 

Until now I was convinced you didn't sleep

Not making excuses but i reckon half of that starting 11 would be lucky to make the bench in the real season.

It was clear that for all of JVS's bullshit talk about how he was taking the game "seriously" it was just an opportunity to give a couple kids a chance to play a game and get the more experienced players to blow the cobwebs off.

Very lucky tonight but we'll take it.

I didn't get a chance to watch the game, but from all reports it was a pretty poor showing with the exception of Mooy. I agree with some comment about Melbourne City should always look and perform like a professional outfit. 

Cant wait to hear all of JVS excuses about this one. Let the bullshit begin..

I wouldn't get to disheartened by the performance.

Even though it was a competitive game, the team is in the early stages of pre-season. From my understanding they have only played the game against City, whilst this team is 11 games into their season.

Now of course they are inferior competition, but just like Melbourne against City they will raise their game. 

The most important thing is how the team looks in October at the start of the season. When you think that is still a couple of months away, then there is plenty of time to get things right.

• Like 2

I am a Foxtel customer and could have arranged to watch this without too much fuss, but instead decided to Hannibal Buress live in Chicago, keeping up to speed by checking the forum every now and again. Sounds like its business as usual, a lot of talk and not a lot of action. Glad I made the right decision.  

• Like 1

Van 't Schip concedes: 'The boys struggled'

Melbourne City coach John van ‘t Schip was a relieved man after his side’s narrow 2-1 win over the plucky Edgeworth Eagles in the FFA Cup in Newcastle on Tuesday night.

City fell behind to a first-half penalty as they were put on the back-foot by the Northern NSW NPL club in the early stages.

But two stunning free-kicks from Aaron Mooy, including the winner in stoppage-time at the end of the match, spared the Hyundai A-League club’s blushes and sent them to the last 16.

“It’s always going to be a difficult game, these types of games and compliments to Edgeworth Eagles they made it difficult,” van ‘t Schip told Fox Sports.

“They went 1-0 up and then you know it’s always going to be a tough game and in the end we won it.

“The main thing is going through, getting past (this round) and we achieved that.

“Now it’s looking forward, getting players more fit and looking to the next Cup round and also hoping to get players back from injury as well.”

With his side still in the early stages of their pre-season training, van ‘t Schip conceded his players couldn’t impose themselves on the match the way they wanted.

“The boys were struggling…they are honest and it was tough conditions for them to play the way we want to play,” the City boss said.

“At 1-1 the opponent will always have an opportunity and you have to be very concentrated and sharp because we didn’t finish the chances we got.

“It’s then you know it’s still possible for them and for us (to win). It was a nervous game and in the end with two set pieces you win the game.”

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/van-t-schip-concedes-boys-struggled#uAl0rKeWcmpejktD.99

How many times have I read to the effect that "...they made it tough to play the way we want to play"? Too many. Does he really think that our opponents are going to stand there and watch us while we "play the way we want to play"?

Also it's not true to say that we are in the "...early stages of our pre-season training." The squad has been training for around six weeks.

What I'd like to know in the wash-up of this match is why players such as Kuzmanovski, Hughes, Koren, Chapman, Marino and Franjic were not available, yet Mooy can come from nowhere and play a full 95 minutes. I can understand that players who have had an operation, such as Melling, Williams , Brown, Garuccio and Gameiro are not yet ready, but to have 11 players in total unavailable at this stage of the pre-season is astonishing. Or did van 't Schip take a calculated risk in omitting certain players such as Chapman and Hughes?

How many times have I read to the effect that "...they made it tough to play the way we want to play"? Too many. Does he really think that our opponents are going to stand there and watch us while we "play the way we want to play"?

Also it's not true to say that we are in the "...early stages of our pre-season training." The squad has been training for around six weeks.

What I'd like to know in the wash-up of this match is why players such as Kuzmanovski, Hughes, Koren, Chapman, Marino and Franjic were not available, yet Mooy can come from nowhere and play a full 95 minutes. I can understand that players who have had an operation, such as Melling, Williams , Brown, Garuccio and Gameiro are not yet ready, but to have 11 players in total unavailable at this stage of the pre-season is astonishing. Or did van 't Schip take a calculated risk in omitting certain players such as Chapman and Hughes?

Chapman was on the plane. Hughes wassnt.

I think it was a case of jvs underestimating the opponent.

• Jimmy unfeatured this topic