Melbourne Football

Elimination Final! Wellington Phoenix vs Melbourne City @ Sunday May 3rd, 5pm AEST

Nate

I seriously hate finals. As awful as it would be, Victory should have won the league yesterday rather than us going through the next few weeks of bullshit. We will lose this 4-1

I don't mind them, gives everyone something to work towards. Otherwise most of the teams are just going through the motions from halfway through the season onwards (or before), including us (we never looked like making top spot). Plus it's generally good publicity and most importantly for the FFA it earns them money. Finals aren't going anywhere.

That being said, it's great we've made it, because next year we'll have had some finals experience. Most of our squad have never played a final before.

Also I was feeling pretty flat about next week but I'm feeling more enthused after reading this thread, so thanks guys.

I seriously hate finals. As awful as it would be, Victory should have won the league yesterday rather than us going through the next few weeks of bullshit. We will lose this 4-1

I don't mind them, gives everyone something to work towards. Otherwise most of the teams are just going through the motions from halfway through the season onwards (or before), including us (we never looked like making top spot). Plus it's generally good publicity and most importantly for the FFA it earns them money. Finals aren't going anywhere.

That being said, it's great we've made it, because next year we'll have had some finals experience. Most of our squad have never played a final before.

Also I was feeling pretty flat about next week but I'm feeling more enthused after reading this thread, so thanks guys.

A team can come home with a wet sail at the end of the season and come from pretty well half-way into top spot with 5-6 wins on the trot.

Our problem is that we have never finished a season like that. We come home with a limp wrist rather than a wet sail.

IMO in a ten-club league a top four finals competition would make more sense than top six.

• Like 1

The only reason we might Wellington is if the club wants to make us even more miserable by seeing Berisha celebrate in front of the City Bay... when we lose 4-1 to them again.

that's only if we win and Adelaide win. If we win and Brisbane win we verse Sydney

Considering Brisbane finished below a side as shit as us...

I am kind of expecting Adelaide to beat them - Obviously I could be proven wrong as Richmond fans were a few years back when they played a side that finished out the finals.

Even though we've only made finals because everybody below us fell in a heap, I'm still pretty pumped for this game. Gonna get on the beers for Mayweather Pacquiao then head over to the Imperial for a long overdue finals game. I know we can't accept medicority but this has still arguably been our best year today. It's been fun. Be gentle Nix

• Like 1

The only reason we might Wellington is if the club wants to make us even more miserable by seeing Berisha celebrate in front of the City Bay... when we lose 4-1 to them again.

that's only if we win and Adelaide win. If we win and Brisbane win we play Sydney

I am kind of expecting Adelaide to beat them - Obviously I could be proven wrong as Richmond fans were a few years back when they played a side that finished out the finals.

Brisbane actually have a really good away record (unlike another team I could mention).  I think they are a much stronger chance of getting through than we are.

Edited by Shahanga
  • Like 1

that's only if we win and Adelaide win. If we win and Brisbane win we play Sydney

Brisbane actually have a really good away record (unlike another team I could mention).  I think they are a much stronger chance of getting through than we are.

Hey we also have great finals record, and a great finals away record under JVS... :unsure:

We have a terrible away record against everyone, even the teams that spent the season at the bottom of the ladder (only beat Jets once away of the bottom 3 teams). Wellington is the only team above us that we haven't beaten home or away this season and we have only ever beaten them once in Wellington in 5 seasons. I think that we need to be realistic about the odds here

We have a terrible away record against everyone, even the teams that spent the season at the bottom of the ladder (only beat Jets once away of the bottom 3 teams). Wellington is the only team above us that we haven't beaten home or away this season and we have only ever beaten them once in Wellington in 5 seasons. I think that we need to be realistic about the odds here

I just feel like its going to be the usual case of watching a Wellington Away Game at The Gimp of waiting for Welly to score.

And then me conceding the match is over - Despite how early in the game it is...

• Like 1

I just feel like its going to be the usual case of watching a Wellington Away Game at The Gimp of waiting for Welly to score.

And then me conceding the match is over - Despite how early in the game it is...

Often a correct assessment. lol

Elimination Final Supporter Venue

Melbourne City FC can inform its fans and members that it will, in conjunction with the Imperial Hotel, hold a viewing event in Melbourne for Sunday's Elimination Final.

The Finals public viewing event will take place downstairs at the Imperial Hotel, the home of Melbourne City FC supporters, on the corner of Bourke and Spring Sts. in Melbourne's CBD.

All TVs in the downstairs section of the venue will be showing Melbourne City FC's clash against Wellington Phoenix, which kicks off locally in Wellington, New Zealand, at 7pm and 5pm in Melbourne.

There will be a number of Melbourne City FC give-aways, while the club will be branding the venue, so head down and support your City!

Event Details

Melbourne City FC Elimination Final Public Viewing Event

Sunday, 3 May 2015

Wellington Phoenix vs. Melbourne City FC

Venue: The Imperial Hotel, corner Bourke & Spring St, Melbourne

Time: kick-off 5pm (AEST)

Capactity: 300

PLEASE NOTE: ALL UNDER 18s MUST be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian, security will be at the door and enforcing this stringently.

I'm really struggling to get enthusiastic for this game. It's our biggest for the year, so I should be excited but I expect us to get hammered. Hopefully I'll feel more "up" before kick off.

Basing this off our maiden finals appearance v Perth Glory, but, If you're anything like me, you'll get excited about an hour before the match and then slowly and painfully, that excitement will turn to utter despair as some Kiwi fuck effortlessly scores a hat trick.

Edited by RedAndWhitePride
  • Like 2

The club will be branding the venue? Another push to rid Melburnians of red.

They mentioned the venue on FB but it is gone now. Maybe (and rightly so) because people were getting stuck in there for not mentioning the Imp relationship is Melburnians thing

Can assure this wont be happeningA couple of days ago they replied to someone regarding the Imp by saying "@MelbourneCity: Hi mate, @MelbourneCity supporters usually congregate at The Imperial Hotel on corner Spring & Bourke Sts. Ping: @TheMelburnians"

Good

Unpopular opinion that you have... lol

I was shit stirring 

I don't mind either way. 

Whether you're in the Red Corner or the Blue Corner, I'm a firm believer of 'each to their own'.

I think the club should leave the Imperial for the Melburnians ... I wonder with the club putting forward this venue as the official viewing location whether the 300 capacity will be an issue...

Given our healthy membership numbers, and especially the family friendly nature of the club with lots of junior members, my view is that the club has missed a massive opportunity to host a public viewing at a venue other than the Imperial.  I know quite a few fellow members (with kids) who would have gone to a specified venue, if the space proposed was better suited, especially for families.  This is something the AFL clubs do well ...

Edited by Torn Asunder
  • Like 3

I think the club should leave the Imperial for the Melburnians ... I wonder with the club putting forward this venue as the official viewing location whether the 300 capacity will be an issue...

Given our healthy membership numbers, and especially the family friendly nature of the club with lots of junior members, my view is that the club has missed a massive opportunity to host a public viewing at a venue other than the Imperial.  I know quite a few fellow members (with kids) who would have gone to a specified venue, if the space proposed was better suited, especially for families.  This is something the AFL clubs do well ...

Exactly.

Even If I tried to explain to my misses that the "club" has suggested a pub is the venue to watch a final game, pretty sure on her response.

Doesn't help that a while ago I told her I had compulsory work function at the strippers. (and I work for myself).

• Like 4