Melbourne Football

Our run in

Shahanga

The club is making a big deal out of these last 5 games and I reflected that if we actually did finish a season well, it would be a welcome change.

I therefore did some quick research.  Our results for the final 5 games in the last 4 seasons (going chronologically to the right):

2011: DDLDD (4 points)

2012: WDDDD (7 points)

2013: LLLLL (um how many is that?)

2014: DLLDL ( 2 points)

2015: W????

So last nights win was just our 2nd "run in" win in 21 matches.  No wonder most of were just happy to see us in front at the final whistle.

I couldn't help but wonder in the past the club chose this time every year "to sort out contracts" or similar, basically ticking off a number of players when they found out about their either their non-offer or paltry offer from the club.

After having actually won a match, we have already surpassed the last 2 seasons and to equal our record we now need to win 1 and draw 1 of the last 4.

TBH its stats like that that sums up why there is so much angst on this forum.  I suspect we were out of it in 2011 but 2012 we were travelling well before the fade out (in fact we looked the best team in the league at one point) and even in 2013 & 2014 we were chances of finals football if we could get a roll on.  We did get a roll on - just going the wrong way "unluckily".

The club is making a big deal out of these last 5 games and I reflected that if we actually did finish a season well, it would be a welcome change.

I therefore did some quick research.  Our results for the final 5 games in the last 4 seasons (going chronologically to the right):

2011: DDLDD (4 points)

2012: WDDDD (7 points)

2013: LLLLL (um how many is that?)

2014: DLLDL ( 2 points)

2015: W????

So last nights win was just our 2nd "run in" win in 21 matches.  No wonder most of were just happy to see us in front at the final whistle.

I couldn't help but wonder in the past the club chose this time every year "to sort out contracts" or similar, basically ticking off a number of players when they found out about their either their non-offer or paltry offer from the club.

After having actually won a match, we have already surpassed the last 2 seasons and to equal our record we now need to win 1 and draw 1 of the last 4.

TBH its stats like that that sums up why there is so much angst on this forum.  I suspect we were out of it in 2011 but 2012 we were travelling well before the fade out (in fact we looked the best team in the league at one point) and even in 2013 & 2014 we were chances of finals football if we could get a roll on.  We did get a roll on - just going the wrong way "unluckily".

I think you could be right. Remembering that we're about one month later because of the Asian Cup interlude, it was certainly my understanding that at the equivalent time in our second season some players (e.g. Terra) had already been told that they would not be required for the third season. IIRC JvS also told the players that he was not going to stay, and that seemed such a stupid thing to do before the end of the season.

You wouldn't bet against us not getting any points in the last 4 games.

However, I think we can get a win at home against Wellington if we apply ourselves properly. Then the WSW is a 50/50 game but we need to defend better than we did the last time.

Of the other two games, I can only see us scrape a point from Perth.

So we can probably get between a further 0 & 7 points. Just hoping we can get 4 more as this would probably be enough to qualify for the play offs.

It's definitely a tough run, but if we play well we could still rack up some points

wsw - hopefully they focus on acl again

wellington - last home game for the season and pushing for 1st, we've only lost 2 at home so hopefully that stays the same

perth & adelaide - both struggling but have been grinding wins out like us, we do play fairly well against adelaide

6 points should be an early target and that should get us into finals comfortably

The annoying thing is that if we had a full squad to choose from then we could be more than competitive in a final if we make one... the squad has improved greatly since the start of the Season.

Forwards: Kennedy, Novillo, Koren... granted Kennedy looks flat footed but if played next to the other two the opposition would not be able to man mark him as much.

Bench Forwards: Gooch, Williams... both good enough strikers as subs.

Central Midfielders: Mooy, Meiling, Eric, 

Central Midfielder Sub: Germano who when fit is a great Midfield Utility option plus obviously Koren could be moved there as well. 

Centre Backs: Kisnorbo,Chapman

Centre Back Sub: Jaliens can play as a CB.

Full Backs: Clisby Safuwan,

Full Back Subs:Jaliens, Germano, and even Gooch has not been terrible as a Full Back.

I don't think any Heart Squad actually got close to this kind of depth... so if JVS fucks it up he really has nobody to blame but himself.

Edited by cadete

4 losses coming up. Brisbane to win all games and make the finals.

JVS sacked.

Pellegrini demoted to Melbourne City.

Melbourne get Lampard on 10 game stint and shows villa how it's done.

Melbourne sign ibrahimovic and memberships go through the roof.

Bring on 2015/16

We all wake up from our dream and AFL is still the number one sport in this state.

City. Played 23, 33 points, goal difference 0.

Matches ahead:

3 Apr Away Western Sydney

12 Apr Home Wellington Phoenix

19 Apr Away Perth Glory

25 Apr Away Adelaide United

Best case: 45 points. Worst case: 33 points. Most likely: 4 points giving us 37 points.

Brisbane. Played 22, 25 points, goal difference -6.

Matches ahead:

2 Apr Home Central Coast

8 Apr Away Suwon Bluewings in ACL

11 Apr Away Adelaide United

15 Apr Home Melbourne Victory

18 Apr Home Melbourne Victory

21 Apr Away Beijing in ACL

24 Apr Home Newcastle

Best case: 40 points. Worst case: 25 points. Most likely: 8 points, giving them 33 points.

• Like 2

Brisbane. Played 22, 25 points, goal difference -6.

Matches ahead:

2 Apr Home Central Coast

8 Apr Away Suwon Bluewings in ACL

11 Apr Away Adelaide United

15 Apr Home Melbourne Victory

18 Apr Home Melbourne Victory

21 Apr Away Beijing in ACL

24 Apr Home Newcastle

Best case: 40 points. Worst case: 25 points. Most likely: 8 points, giving them 33 points.

Look at that schedule, their remaining six games are staggered: 3-4-3-3-3 days apart. They should be stuffed by the end of it.

Reminds me of us last year where we made that mid/late season run that got us into finals considerations before the run died out and we fell away to finish last.

Wouldn't be surprised if CCM go past them on the ladder, especially now after their loss to us on Saturday and the effect that would have had on them.

• Like 1

The main thing is we are still in the mix , JVS has added depth to the squad all be it later than he would have liked , the team only needs a few tweeks here and there. , Tando needs to be off his line quicker , apart from that has been excellent , the full backs have obviously been told to push up , with our cbs falling in behind to cover , Clisby in particular making good runs but not getting return ball which would create chances, if Saf is to be fitted in I would put him right back as upsets balance on the left, there is a lot of hype about Saf after analyzing the games take away the goals he is average ( hopefully be proved wrong as he is not playing his normal position ) Mooy ,Melling . And I would have Massimo in before Eric who has been struggling of late, big Josh you can see not firing on all guns but a handful for defences, Germano getting better every game as he regains match time , centre backs Kisnorbo has been immense I would put Chapman in alongside as opposed to Kew. As he has more pace we should also be encouraging our young home grown talent as they ARE our future ! Williams explosive from the bench he also in good overlapping positions only not to be given ball, Novillo first impressions selfish when players are in better positions early days I think he could be a great acquistion IF he adjusts his game , KOREN he frustrates me goes missing does not stand out as a MARQUEE player time to step up Rob

I think it is all coming together at the right time for us. The squad has proper depth for the first time ever.
Last weekend looking at the bench it was great to see Williams and Novillo on the bench. Two players who can come on and make a difference. and they both did. And that was missing Melling, Mooy and Safuwan. Three players who would normally start.

The only area of concern is our forawrd line. We have no player in the top 10 for the league for scorers. Although Kennedy hasn't been brilliant - it was his header that set-up Saturday's goal. I suspect Jvs will be playing him 50-70 minutes a game before moving Williams, Novillo or Koren up front. It will be a matter of relying on the whole team to score.

I think it is all coming together at the right time for us. The squad has proper depth for the first time ever.

Last weekend looking at the bench it was great to see Williams and Novillo on the bench. Two players who can come on and make a difference. and they both did. And that was missing Melling, Mooy and Safuwan. Three players who would normally start.

The only area of concern is our forawrd line. We have no player in the top 10 for the league for scorers. Although Kennedy hasn't been brilliant - it was his header that set-up Saturday's goal. I suspect Jvs will be playing him 50-70 minutes a game before moving Williams, Novillo or Koren up front. It will be a matter of relying on the whole team to score.

I am not fussed that the team does not have a gun striker. As long as the team scores I don't care who does. IIRC right now City has the broadest range of goal scorers in the league. The problem with having only one dedicated goal scorer then shutting down service to that player nullifies any chance of a win. Refer to Adelaide United for an example.

And how will JVS handle it? Who will he start? Who will he drop out of the match-day squad? Will he alter the formation/tactics to fit the players he wants to start?

Mooy, Safuwan, Melling and Chapman will all be available by next week at the latest IIRC.

Having depth is important, but managing it is equally important. Tough ask for any coach, especially this late in the season. 

Red or Dead, on 31 Mar 2015 - 10:01 PM, said:

33 Goals scored

33 Goals conceded

33 Points for the season

33 was the age Jesus died

Jesus is now playing for Melbourne City

Melbourne City is coached by John van't Schip

This obviously makes John van't Schip is the anti-Christ!

Using the above logic, we're gonna win the league!

33% winning ratio.

1311949567_ILLUMINATI-ALL-SEEING-EYE.jpg

• Like 2

I've just noticed that for each of our four remaining matches Brisbane play the day before. So we will know how close they are to us each time.

I still think that in the end it's going to be horribly tight.

Honestly can't see us slipping out of 6th though, considering the ACL games they have to play. 

• Like 1

I've just noticed that for each of our four remaining matches Brisbane play the day before. So we will know how close they are to us each time.

Honestly can't see us slipping out of 6th though, considering the ACL games they have to play. 

The first milestone is tonight - Brisbane at home to Central Coast, using up their "game in hand."

The first milestone is tonight - Brisbane at home to Central Coast, using up their "game in hand." That's tomorrow and they actually use up their game in hand against Victory as at the completion of this round they'll still be a game behind.

Honestly can't see us slipping out of 6th though, considering the ACL games they have to play. The first milestone is tonight - Brisbane at home to Central Coast, using up their "game in hand." That's tomorrow and they actually use up their game in hand against Victory as at the completion of this round they'll still be a game behind.

Now why did I think that was tonight?

I'd bloody hope not.

I booked RDO for the Friday of the first week of finals about 2 months ago just in case we made it. Spewin that we probably wont know who we would be playing earlier cause flights are gonna be super cunt expensive being short notice

I'd bloody hope not.

I booked RDO for the Friday of the first week of finals about 2 months ago just in case we made it. Spewin that we probably wont know who we would be playing earlier cause flights are gonna be super cunt expensive being short notice

Will be Sydney or Perth most likely, but there's still a chance for a Derby Final. 

I'd bloody hope not.

Will be Sydney or Perth most likely, but there's still a chance for a Derby Final. 

Donth think Adeliade is a possibility either?

Kind of hoping for either Sydney Adeliade or Victards. If its Wellington or Perth, i wont be able to make the trip

Edited by [LIBBA]

I'd bloody hope not.

Donth think Adeliade is a possibility either?

Kind of hoping for either Sydney Adeliade or Victards. If its Wellington or Perth, i wont be able to make the trip

I also will be making any trip bar Perth and Wellington.

• Like 1

Can't see Victory or Wellington dropping out of the top two and can't see Perth and us finishing anything other than 5 and 6 so it'll be Adelaide or Sydney imo.

We'll have a much better idea after this weekend as there's some big games.

How much you willing to wager on that? I've got $50 that says Sydney will finish top 2

Can't see Victory or Wellington dropping out of the top two and can't see Perth and us finishing anything other than 5 and 6 so it'll be Adelaide or Sydney imo.

We'll have a much better idea after this weekend as there's some big games.

How much you willing to wager on that? I've got $50 that says Sydney will finish top 2 You're on.