Melbourne Football

TTDIM: Things that don't irk me

bazzatron

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

And support charities for which you can find out just exactly what they do with what they receive. If you're not careful you'll be giving money that gets used in paying a "CEO" and other admin expenses and very little actually goes to helping those actually in need.

There are something like 54,000 charities and not-for-profit organizations registered in Australia. I ask myself why on earth we need so many, and what most of them actually do.

A charity is just a business that sells you a 'good feeling' and a tax deduction, and pays inflated salaries in lieu of dividends.

What actually happens to the money is pretty irrelevant, as long as they can maintain their brand reputation by continuing to give an illusion that money is going to help people or a cause.

1 hour ago, Tesla said:

A charity is just a business that sells you a 'good feeling' and a tax deduction, and pays inflated salaries in lieu of dividends.

What actually happens to the money is pretty irrelevant, as long as they can maintain their brand reputation by continuing to give an illusion that money is going to help people or a cause.

Fuck that's pretty cynical, even for you. True in some cases I'm sure, but there are also charities who actually do a lot of good.

Dont wipe them all, just follow JW s tip to look into them.

Not everybody you come across in this life is a conniving low life purely intent on fleecing you (or someone else).

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Fuck that's pretty cynical, even for you. True in some cases I'm sure, but there are also charities who actually do a lot of good.

Dont wipe them all, just follow JW s tip to look into them.

Not everybody you come across in this life is a conniving low life purely intent on fleecing you (or someone else).

I was just offering one way to look at it, I dont necessarily subscribe to that way of looking at it.

But putting that aside, what you and jw bring up is an interesting subject.

I think people get too caught up in the 'administrative costs' debate.

If a charity has the opportunity to spend $1m to receive another $1.2m in donations, do they take it?

Of course they do, another $200k going to the cause that wouldn't otherwise. But that certainly isn't going to look good from the 'administrative costs' perspective.

There is actually a number of logic failures in the way people look at the 'administrative costs' problem.

Eg, most people will see something like only 32% of the charity's money went to it's cause and the rest went to administrative costs in the last reporting period. So they'll think, "only $0.32 of each $1 I donate actually goes to the cause". That's incorrect, that assumes that 'administrative costs' are 100% variable, when a lot of them would be quite fixed in the short term. Maybe only $0.10 of your $1 will go to variable costs, the other $0.90 is another $0.90 that's available to go to the cause.

Each to their own but I'm more interested in how effective a charity is in supporting it's cause rather than what the 'administrative costs' are. 

• Like 1

Each to their own, as you say, but I can tell you that one of the KPIs that I look for in a charity that asks for my support is indeed what proportion of donations that it chews up in administration. Not the only one, but certainly very important IMO. 

22 minutes ago, Tesla said:

I was just offering one way to look at it, I dont necessarily subscribe to that way of looking at it.

But putting that aside, what you and jw bring up is an interesting subject.

I think people get too caught up in the 'administrative costs' debate.

If a charity has the opportunity to spend $1m to receive another $1.2m in donations, do they take it?

Of course they do, another $200k going to the cause that wouldn't otherwise. But that certainly isn't going to look good from the 'administrative costs' perspective.

There is actually a number of logic failures in the way people look at the 'administrative costs' problem.

Eg, most people will see something like only 32% of the charity's money went to it's cause and the rest went to administrative costs in the last reporting period. So they'll think, "only $0.32 of each $1 I donate actually goes to the cause". That's incorrect, that assumes that 'administrative costs' are 100% variable, when a lot of them would be quite fixed in the short term. Maybe only $0.10 of your $1 will go to variable costs, the other $0.90 is another $0.90 that's available to go to the cause.

Each to their own but I'm more interested in how effective a charity is in supporting it's cause rather than what the 'administrative costs' are. 

You are quite correct. My sis-in-law used to work for two charities. One of those charities actually spent money in negotiating kidnapped medical personnel which in theory does not go to those suffering but the medical staff do help them. It is also quite interesting in how they raise money. A lot of what they do is buttering up the wealthy and mighty. Example, one fund raiser would invite a potential donor to some of the best restaurants in melbourne with some fantastic wines. He ended up raising over $18M in one year - and there is no way that administrative costs and expenses were anywhere that figure.

However when you look at the Shane Warne foundation...

46 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Seen that Serie A show? Reckon I'll be watching it again!

"I'm just looking at the football deAr"

I have had a pretty full schedule today so have not watched all that much but will definitely be watching anything containing people kicking a round ball into a net whenever i get the chance

3 hours ago, Tesla said:

TTDIM : Global Warming. 

Pretty decent May weather these days. 

May winter never come. 

2 hours ago, malloy said:

At this current rate the Winds of Winter will never arrive

In all seriousness I actually think my place should be under water right now going of some of the expert's Climate Change Predictions from 2007...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cadete said:

In all seriousness I actually think my place should be under water right now going of some of the expert's Climate Change Predictions from 2007...

Of all people I would have thought you would have gotten my reference as I am sure it is annoying you too. 

• 2 weeks later...

TTDIM: My new next door neighbours.

They've been here about a month, I've seen them only once and haven't talked to them at all. Can't really ask for more than that in a neighbour. 10/10 neighbours so far.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Tesla said:

TTDIM: My new next door neighbours.

They've been here about a month, I've seen them only once and haven't talked to them at all. Can't really ask for more than that in a neighbour. 10/10 neighbours so far.

I was first person in on my level, not at full occupancy, never hear from any of them which is the best. Except my neighbour one time when he and his boy friend had very loud sex on a Monday afternoon.

TTDIM; @NewConvert I often don't agree with what you say but your ability to articulate your point and argue it in a level headed manner is a joy to behold, keep up the good work. 

2 hours ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I was first person in on my level, not at full occupancy, never hear from any of them which is the best. Except my neighbour one time when he and his boy friend had very loud sex on a Monday afternoon.

TTDIM; @NewConvert I often don't agree with what you say but your ability to articulate your point and argue it in a level headed manner is a joy to behold, keep up the good work. 

I'll try my level best :up:

3 hours ago, GreenSeater said:

TTDIM: The shitstorm in this comment thread:

Some quality comments there.

But, let's be serious for a sec, people can do whatever the fuck they want as far as I'm concerned, but I honestly don't understand why this transgender stuff isn't considered a mental illness given other things that society would consider a mental illness. Again, as long as they're not hurting anyone I really dont care if people want to dress up and act like a different gender, I'm just saying like many of these PC issues there is some serious hypocrisy going on. Eg if I, Tesla, a human male, decided I was a dog and walked around on all fours barking I'd be considered mentally ill and probably locked up. But If I decided I'm a female and walked around dressed as a female I am completely sane and can continue on my merry way with the support of the PC crowd as a hero of the oppressed masses. Am I missing something here?

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Some quality comments there.

But, let's be serious for a sec, people can do whatever the fuck they want as far as I'm concerned, but I honestly don't understand why this transgender stuff isn't considered a mental illness given other things that society would consider a mental illness. Again, as long as they're not hurting anyone I really dont care if people want to dress up and act like a different gender, I'm just saying like many of these PC issues there is some serious hypocrisy going on. Eg if I, Tesla, a human male, decided I was a dog and walked around on all fours barking I'd be considered mentally ill and probably locked up. But If I decided I'm a female and walked around dressed as a female I am completely sane and can continue on my merry way with the support of the PC crowd as a hero of the oppressed masses. Am I missing something here?

That's because gender is a social construct based on biology, where as being a dog is just pure biology.

tbh I don't get the current trend of trans hate, much like vegan hate and a lot of racial stuff it comes from people who have never met anyone who is the category they're hating on.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

That's because gender is a social construct based on biology, where as being a dog is just pure biology.

tbh I don't get the current trend of trans hate, much like vegan hate and a lot of racial stuff it comes from people who have never met anyone who is the category they're hating on.

Trend of trans hate?

Seems to me the trend is the opposite (though there is still a lot of hate as well).

And I'm honestly not hating, though I can tell you why aa lot of people would have issues with it, because now it's leading to questionable shit like people being able to choose which gender restroom they use or even worse children being able to decide to have permanent life changing surgery (I assume with parental consent as well, but that's still not okay IMO).

And no, gender is not a social construct. It's pure biology as well.

Edited by Tesla