Melbourne Football

City Football Group (CFG) [Owner of Melbourne City]

Torn Asunder

14 hours ago, Jacques Le Cube said:

Apologies in advance but I need to get this of my chest...

Dear CFG,

I was both disappointed and bewildered to read that John van ‘t Schip will be seeing out his contract.

Let’s ignore results for a moment. Let’s ignore the lack of silverware. Let’s ignore the senior players that fell out with van ’t Schip. Let’s ignore the signings that worked and the signings that didn’t. Let’s just talk about football, let’s talk about what actually happens on the field. Not ideology or philosophy but methodology.

In two and a half seasons and two full pre-seasons, John van ‘t Schip has failed to implement a system of play at Melbourne City.

His philosophy may ‘dovetail’ with that of CFG but he lacks the technical ability to translate this into a gameplan and/or implement it on matchday.

In defence, Melbourne City under van ’t Schip cannot defend as a block. Nor can it cannot press the opposition with any degree of coordination or organisation. In fact, the only time the team can press with the required intensity and purpose is when Melbourne City is at least 2 goals in front of their opponent.

In attack we have one plan: pass the ball to Aaron Mooy. That’s it. No positional play, no movement off the ball, no plan to get the ball to Mooy, no plan to create space for Mooy and no plan for when Mooy is marked out of the game.

Players are not given instructions on how to perform their roles within the system. Fundamentally, this is because there is no system. Players are given almost complete freedom on the pitch to interpret what their position requires.

I could use any position on the ground as an example but I will use the right wing. Several players played in this position throughout the season and everyone did it differently. Stefan Mauk in attack would drift centrally to play combination passes and in defence would hover around the middle of the pitch and ball-watch. Corey Gamiero would run direct at goal when we were attacking and when we were defending he would generally stay on the halfway line. David Williams would stay wide in attack and try and beat opponents with pace, in defence he would track back and support the full back. Nick Fitzgerald would stay wide in attack and often cross in the air. In defence, he would press aggressively but rarely track back.

In theory they should all be playing the same way (especially when defending) because they are playing the same role for the team in the same formation, but it was not the case and the same thing can be said for every position on the field. It’s well documented that Van ’t Schip barely addresses the players on game day and it appears that he barely gives instructions to the players, so …what does he actually do? What has he ever done in his senior coaching career? What makes this more frustrating is there are numerous experienced European coaches, who have coached at the highest level who want to work in Australia, César Ferrando for one.

For the fourth time in four years the club will now overhaul its playing list. Maybe the club will finally realise that it is difficult to recruit players to fulfil a particular role when a particular role doesn’t actually exist.

So please CFG, don’t write off another season before it begins. For Melbourne City the A league is not just a fight for silverware but a fight for hearts and minds. We can’t afford another wasted season.

Somewhere in Manchester Brian Marwood just dropped his cup of tea and thought to himself "this Le Cube might be onto something"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chris p said:

Am i right in saying New york wouldn't face Seattle and LA galaxy until a playoff series ? 

No. Think they play all eastern conference teams home and away and the western conference teams once during the regular season.

37 minutes ago, bt50 said:

No. Think they play all eastern conference teams home and away and the western conference teams once during the regular season.

It's more erratic than that. You're right that you only play teams from the opposite conference once each, but it's entirely random whether you play teams from your own conference twice or even three times.

2 hours ago, n i k o said:

Good to see Viera doing well. Although I can't help but think this looks like a typical City celebration where the team is top of the ladder with the rest of the league yet to finish the round. 

Exactly. 

4 wins after 12 rounds isn't like they are smashing it. But maybe they're on a good positive curve. Hope they do well but a long way to go.

20 hours ago, billyheart said:

Top of the division with 4 wins of 12 and a goal difference of +1. The east in the MLS is worse than the NBA! 

In fairness, the east in MLS is just far worse than the west. NYCFC may be top of the eastern conference, but they're 8th overall.

• Like 1

What’s the Buzz

May 22, 2016

Phil Rothfield

[...]

BLUE SHY CLOUDS

THERE’S another big blue looming over Sydney FC’s sky blue colours. Melbourne City is again pushing hard for permission to change their playing colours to sky blue to match those of their owners at Manchester City, but we hear Sydney FC’s chairman Scott Barlow is ready to fight. City continues to throw their weight around among A-League clubs, but while their crowds and membership stagnate no one is taking much notice.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/opinion/whats-the-buzz-star-forward-to-miss-out-on-origin-coach-gives-hands-out-a-bollocking/news-story/1dde0613b1f79a76b3368387aa726669

Meanwhile in New York....

NYC FC 0-7 Red Bulls: Hudson River Derby turns to low farce for Patrick Vieira

Tim Hill in New York

Saturday 21 May 2016 23.39 BST

Well, how about that? MLS had spent some serious time and effort hyping Saturday’s Hudson River derby as a new sports rivalry in America’s most lucrative market. What we got was a scoreline that was as jaw-dropping as it was justified – and one of the most pathetic home displays anyone can remember. [......] 

[Full article at link]

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/may/21/new-york-city-fc-red-bulls-mls-hudson-river-derby

Ahhh, Patrick Viera dips into the JVS playbook

It was a farce. A complete embarrassment. Rarely has a team been more compliant in their own downfall. All teams get hammered from time to time – this is football, and it happens. But it’s seriously unusual to see a side capitulate so completely.

44 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

What’s the Buzz

May 22, 2016

Phil Rothfield

[...]

BLUE SHY CLOUDS

THERE’S another big blue looming over Sydney FC’s sky blue colours. Melbourne City is again pushing hard for permission to change their playing colours to sky blue to match those of their owners at Manchester City, but we hear Sydney FC’s chairman Scott Barlow is ready to fight. City continues to throw their weight around among A-League clubs, but while their crowds and membership stagnate no one is taking much notice.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/opinion/whats-the-buzz-star-forward-to-miss-out-on-origin-coach-gives-hands-out-a-bollocking/news-story/1dde0613b1f79a76b3368387aa726669

Meanwhile in New York....

NYC FC 0-7 Red Bulls: Hudson River Derby turns to low farce for Patrick Vieira

Tim Hill in New York

Saturday 21 May 2016 23.39 BST

Well, how about that? MLS had spent some serious time and effort hyping Saturday’s Hudson River derby as a new sports rivalry in America’s most lucrative market. What we got was a scoreline that was as jaw-dropping as it was justified – and one of the most pathetic home displays anyone can remember. [......] 

[Full article at link]

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/may/21/new-york-city-fc-red-bulls-mls-hudson-river-derby

The red head guy Red Bulls player on the first frame of the video looks old, double chinned with a pot belly.

2 hours ago, Tesla said:

Green line for telling people Viera is most likely a shit manager, and at the very least completely unproven, every time someone has mentioned he should take over here.

TBH I can't remember you ever doing that but I'll take your word for it.  Me I thought it (that he was totally inexperienced and needed to work as an assistant for a senior team first and that disgruntled NYC fans were well within their rights to whinge) but couldn't be arsed posting it.  He might still work out, but he has to learn on the job, which is a silly way of doing it.  

3 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

TBH I can't remember you ever doing that but I'll take your word for it.  Me I thought it (that he was totally inexperienced and needed to work as an assistant for a senior team first and that disgruntled NYC fans were well within their rights to whinge) but couldn't be arsed posting it.  He might still work out, but he has to learn on the job, which is a silly way of doing it.  

You know what, you made me question myself and wonder "did I actually say it or did I just think it in my head".

but nether the less a quick search confirms I didn't just think it:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tesla said:

Green line for telling people Viera is most likely a shit manager, and at the very least completely unproven, every time someone has mentioned he should take over here.

You don't get green lines for voicing an opinion.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

You don't get green lines for voicing an opinion.

True, but requesting green lines (regardless of whether one has met the technicalities to actually receive the aforementioned green line) is the most acceptable way to make thinly veiled "I told you so" posts on this forum :up: 

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 6

25 minutes ago, Tesla said:

True, but requesting green lines (regardless of whether one has met the technicalities to actually receive the aforementioned green line) is the most acceptable way to make thinly veiled "I told you so" posts on this forum :up: 

You can have a green line for that comment

1 hour ago, Tesla said:

You make thinly veiled comments? :)

6 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

What’s the Buzz

May 22, 2016

Phil Rothfield

[...]

BLUE SHY CLOUDS

I thought our playing kit for (at least) next season had already been decided, and complied with FFA's "88% white rule" (or whatever the percentage is or was)?

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

I really don't know why CFG just didn't buy Sydney FC instead of us. Colours already in place, name change easier, club in better shape, larger amount of football supporters in Sydney, etc.

I think it did come up in the media that they had tried to buy Sydney FC before us but the asking price was too much (maybe the price was jacked up because it was CFG, and that's why they hid their identity when buying us).

I wonder if they knew ahead of the time the trouble they'd have turning our kit into sky blue (which is obviously very important to them), whether they would have just put up the extra money to buy Sydney FC.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tesla said:

I really don't know why CFG just didn't buy Sydney FC instead of us. Colours already in place, name change easier, club in better shape, larger amount of football supporters in Sydney, etc.

I think it did come up in the media that they had tried to buy Sydney FC before us but the asking price was too much (maybe the price was jacked up because it was CFG, and that's why they hid their identity when buying us).

I wonder if they knew ahead of the time the trouble they'd have turning our kit into sky blue (which is obviously very important to them), whether they would have just put up the extra money to buy Sydney FC.

From what i recall they wanted to buy Sydney but were told it was not for sale. Of course eveyone has a price as the saying goes, but i think it was more sydney didnt want to sell rather than wanting more money than cfg were willing to spend

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, KSK_47 said:

From what i recall they wanted to buy Sydney but were told it was not for sale. Of course eveyone has a price as the saying goes, but i think it was more sydney didnt want to sell rather than wanting more money than cfg were willing to spend

Well that makes sense I suppose. As you say everyone and everything has a price, but I believe Sydney FC's majority shareholder is a billionaire so if he has no interest in selling I assume his price isn't cheap.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

What’s the Buzz

May 22, 2016

Phil Rothfield

[...]

BLUE SHY CLOUDS

So an important imperative is our shirt colour FFS? CFG should be spending more time cleaning out JvS from La Trobe than troubling themselves with bullshit issues like the color of our socks, jocks and tops. Clearly marketing is their top priority not silverware :droy:

• Like 2