Melbourne Football

Round 23: Melbourne City v Brisbane Roar, AAMI Park, Sat 28 March 7.30 pm

Murfy1

So we know the Roar are going to be hit hard with player losses this weekend (injury, international duty) but does anyone else know who we can put a strike through for city that will be missing this game (other than Chapman, Mooy) How is Melling looking at this stage?

I assume Safuwan is still on International duty and unavailable

Unavailable due to international duty:

- Safuwan

- Mooy

Suspended:

- Chapman

Injured:

- Duff (out for the season)

- Garuccio (out for the season)

- Wielaert (Ankle, 3 weeks or so)

- Melling (Knee, maybe a week away)

So these players are fit and available for Saturday as far as I know:

- Velaphi

- Redmayne

- Clisby

- Kisnorbo

- Jaliens

- Retre

- Hoffman

- Paartalu

- Koren

- Germano

- Murdocca

- Novillo

- Kennedy

- Williams

- Brown

- Ramsay

- Dugandzic

- Marino

So we know the Roar are going to be hit hard with player losses this weekend (injury, international duty) but does anyone else know who we can put a strike through for city that will be missing this game (other than Chapman, Mooy) How is Melling looking at this stage?

I assume Safuwan is still on International duty and unavailable

Unavailable due to international duty:

- Safuwan

- Mooy

Suspended:

- Chapman

Injured:

- Duff (out for the season)

- Garuccio (out for the season)

- Wielaert (Ankle, 3 weeks or so)

- Melling (Knee, maybe a week away)

So these players are fit and available for Saturday as far as I know:

- Velaphi

- Redmayne

- Clisby

- Kisnorbo

- Jaliens

- Retre

- Hoffman

- Paartalu

- Koren

- Germano

- Murdocca

- Novillo

- Kennedy

- Williams

- Brown

- Ramsay

- Dugandzic

- Marino

Will go out on limb here.

All those Murf has listed could be in the squad and 2 to be omitted. Thoughts?

The rules a farce. I couldn't believe it when I saw it. It's meant to be a professional sport.

I don't think the rule isn't that bad, the part that is a farce is how little time needs to be passed for it not to be abandoned (45+ from JW's post in the other thread).

If the time requirement was 75+ mins then I think this would be acceptable.

I think it's a great rule as I had $30 on Wellington paying $3.40.

• Like 1

Murfy what are the chances of Simeoy and Zinni keeping their spots? You listed the senior side but I think we were all blind sided last week when JVS plucked those two out of the youth team.

Nothing against them, but I hope that with the expected availabilities (Novillo, Williams, Baharudin, hopefully Kennedy and Hoffman) those two are no chance whatsoever. This is a season-defining game and I want as close to our best squad as possible, which will hopefully be everyone that we'd currently want in the team, besides Mooy and Melling.

Murfy what are the chances of Simeoy and Zinni keeping their spots? You listed the senior side but I think we were all blind sided last week when JVS plucked those two out of the youth team.

Nothing against them, but I hope that with the expected availabilities (Novillo, Williams, Baharudin, hopefully Kennedy and Hoffman) those two are no chance whatsoever. This is a season-defining game and I want as close to our best squad as possible, which will hopefully be everyone that we'd currently want in the team, besides Mooy and Melling.

I do believe that Hoffman was available last week but was overlooked. Mooy is out the next two games on international duties. I am not sure about Safuwan as to the set date for his return from international duties but if they are the same as Mooy's he is not available either. So that leaves Novillo, Kennedy and Williams becoming available for selection, if and only if, they are all fit to play (I think that Kennedy has confirmed that he is available).

So there may still be room for Simeoy and Zinni, and as I mentioned in the original post we were all blind sided by JVS so he could do it again.

brisbane squad for tonight, hopefully theo and broich will still be out for sat

Brisbane Roar FC squad: 2.Jerome POLENZ, 3.Shane STEFANUTTO, 4.Adam SAROTA, 6.George LAMBADARIDIS, 8.Steven LUSTICA, 9.ANDRIJA Kaluderovic, 12.Jean Carlos SOLORZANO, 16.Devante CLUT, 18.Luke BRATTAN, 19.Jack HINGERT, 21.Jamie YOUNG (gk), 23.Dimitri PETRATOS, 26.Lachlan JACKSON, 28.Brandon BORRELLO, 34.Shannon BRADY, 36.Fraser CHALMERS

Ins: 6.George LAMBADARIDIS (promoted), 19.Jack HINGERT (promoted), 12.Jean Carlos SOLORZANO (return from injury), 26.Lachlan JACKSON (promoted)

Outs: 5. Corey BROWN (international duty), 15.James DONACHIE (international duty), 17.Matt McKAY (international duty), 33.Luke DeVERE (international duty)

Unavailable: 1.Michael THEO (groin – 1 week), 10.HENRIQUE (knee – 4 weeks), 13.Jade NORTH  (groin – 1 week), 22.Thomas BROICH (ankle – 1 week)

The rules a farce. I couldn't believe it when I saw it. It's meant to be a professional sport.

I don't think the rule isn't that bad, the part that is a farce is how little time needs to be passed for it not to be abandoned (45+ from JW's post in the other thread).

If the time requirement was 75+ mins then I think this would be acceptable.

I think it's a great rule as I had $30 on Wellington paying $3.40.

Last leg of my multi, won me $200. Best rule ever.

I think the call-ups of Symeoy and Zinni are a reminder that JVS will call-up young players when he thinks they could do a job. Especially as Hoffman was fit, it was a bit of a statement selecting Symeoy (and playing him).

However, I reckon they are unlikely to keep their spots this week. JVS after the Sydney FC game didn't sound really thrilled to have to draw upon such depth for a must win match (answer when asked about drawing upon squad depth: "it's beyond depth. If you look at players we're having now in the team"). I believe he'd much rather call upon more experienced players, like Chapman, Jaliens, Safuwan, Novillo, who have helped the team get results in recent weeks as Melbourne City plays must win matches to make the finals.

So IMO JVS will keep on tracking the progress of young players, and perhaps Symeoy is a chance to make the bench on Saturday (as we are missing some defenders with Chapman and Safuwan unavailable), but overall with the likes of Kennedy, Novillo and Williams being available again I can see no NYL players making the matchday squad against Brisbane.

Win is vital here to relieve any pressure on us and really amp it up on Brisbane.

We win on Saturday and Brisbane would probably need to win four of their last five, which includes an away trip to Adelaide, and two home games against a title chasing victory.

As I said in another thread, 36-37 points will probably get us home.

I'm a bit worried the team will play like it's content to get a draw this weekend. Right now, whether we manage to hold on to sixth is not the big issue. What's important to me is that we start building some momentum and give a real indication that we wouldn't just be making up the numbers in the finals. Ten points over the remaining five games should be the goal.

I'm a bit worried the team will play like it's content to get a draw this weekend. Right now, whether we manage to hold on to sixth is not the big issue. What's important to me is that we start building some momentum and give a real indication that we wouldn't just be making up the numbers in the finals. Ten points over the remaining five games should be the goal.

9 or 10 points from five games would be good, averages out to two points each game. 3 wins and a draw or 2 wins and 3 draws.

That's more than we've averaged so far, and we have a tough run ahead - Brisbane and Wellington at home, and WSW, Perth and Adelaide away. The consolation is that Brisbane and Central Coast have just as difficult a task ahead; Brisbane in particular have an almost impossible schedule.

So I'd say we're the favourites. Just take each game as it comes, needs good team selection and substitutions as necessary, play steadily and don't panic and we should get there.

• Like 1

I don't think they will play for a draw. Watching last night, Brisbane were on their knees.

I can see us coming out hard early trying to put the game to bed within the first half hour... and we really should. The gaps I saw between the Brisbane defence last night were staggering. Bulut and co had acres of space to run into. 

I'd be very disappointed if we had that attitude. We should be going in for the kill from the first whistle.

• Like 1

9 or 10 points from five games would be good, averages out to two points each game. 3 wins and a draw or 2 wins and 3 draws.

That's more than we've averaged so far, and we have a tough run ahead - Brisbane and Wellington at home, and WSW, Perth and Adelaide away. The consolation is that Brisbane and Central Coast have just as difficult a task ahead; Brisbane in particular have an almost impossible schedule.

So I'd say we're the favourites. Just take each game as it comes, needs good team selection and substitutions as necessary, play steadily and don't panic and we should get there.

I wouldnt be suprised at all if we beat adelaide over there. They have dropped alot over the last few weeks imo