Melbourne Football

Harry Novillo (gone)

n i k o

4 hours ago, Tesla said:

Fuck me.

I know Turkey is supposedly a secular country, but Novillo's lifestyle is more haram than tomato sauce on a kebab. He will probably provoke an ISIS attack on Manisaspor's stadium, and Erdogan hardly needs an excuse to invade Syria. There will inevitably be an 'accidental' downing of a Russian jet, which Putin won't let slide a second time so nekminut Russia's flattening Turkey like it's 1877. Of course that that will trigger Turkey's NATO allies to come to the party, and next thing you know Archduke Novillo has caused WW3.

Meanwhile Novillo is loving the whole thing since he is such a narcissist. 

What did I just read?..

6 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

A few points:

- After so many seasons with this club watching nice guys that couldn't perform on the pitch, I was happy to watch Novillo perform, and even star, on the pitch

- Even though Novillo missed about a third of the season--half through injury and half through suspensions--he still scored 10 goals and provided 4 assists. And that's what attacking players should be judged on: their output. Further, if last season was a "bad" and "disrupted" season from Novillo, providing 14 goals is a damn good return (imagine if he had started 27 over the season instead of 20)

- I don't really get why people talk about how A-League players did or would fare in Europe. Does it matter? If they play for us, they play in the A-League in Australia (take Fornaroli, for whatever reasons he didn't make it in Europe, but he's an absolute star in the A-League. So who cares how he would go in Europe, as long as he can star for us?)

- It will be difficult to find another salary cap player with a lot of x-factor. And not only are players with x-factor important for the team, they also are important drawcards for crowds too. I can't think of many other players that this club has had that would wow neutrals and newcomers like Novillo

- The club has a huge amount of recruiting to do. We've lost Wilkinson, Kisnorbo, Zullo, Novillo and are set to lose Mooy. That's roughly half of our ideal starting team from last season. With pre-season starting in 4 or so days (Monday), it's time for the club to put Novillo's transfer fee, as well as the club's other resources to use, to secure quality starting players for next season

Disappointed to lose Novillo. I'm doubtful our competitors (such as WSW and victory) would have willingly moved on a player like Novillo, and I do wonder if the club has a "holier-than-thou" approach that requires all its players to foremost be good blokes (which was one of Heart's main problems: a team full of good guys that couldn't produce competitive winning football). Anyway, as long as CFG unearths new very talented players all is forgiven. I'm just getting weary that the club has made a situation where it's got too much recruiting to do for next season, which it's completing too late. Time to start balancing out the player exits with player arrivals.

Totally agree with your first three and the fifth points.

On the fourth point, I remain optimistic. Not only did CFG unearth three players over two seasons that had the X factor in Novillo, Fornaroli and Sorensson, but also PG found Castro, and WSW found a pair of Spaniards. I just think that it comes down to the scouting network and I think that CFG have a very good network.

On your closing paragraph, IIRC Melb City noted that the domestic violence issue was only part of the reason for the suspension. It was reported that Novillo also turned up late for training on more than one occasion and had attitude issues on the training pitch. So it wasn't just about being a 'good guy', it also had to do with being a professional - and as people have noted this is fourth club and he has had a falling out with all them.

And you are also right that in every season we have a large turn over of players. I can understand retirements, I can understand peripheral players, I can even understand young players with potential looking to get more game time. However, this is now a recurring pattern for the club and this also means that the pre-season training starts with too few players leading to poor starts to the season.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

- Even though Novillo missed about a third of the season--half through injury and half through suspensions--he still scored 10 goals and provided 4 assists. And that's what attacking players should be judged on: their output. Further, if last season was a "bad" and "disrupted" season from Novillo, providing 14 goals is a damn good return (imagine if he had started 27 over the season instead of 20)

That's all well and good, but you are ignoring the fact that he wasn't on the pitch in the finals and his destructive attitude effected the teams performance when it mattered.

You need your best players on the pitch with team solidarity to win the silverware and with Harry it wasn't possible. 

Anyway, silverware is won by systems and work with quality players on the pitch which can only succeed with team unity. Harry was never going to buy into that, which is the reason he couldn't  get a contract in Europe and came to us in the first place.

We don't need players that are best on the pitch one week and not turn up the next. That's not how you win silverware.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, playmaker said:

That's all well and good, but you are ignoring the fact that he wasn't on the pitch in the finals and his destructive attitude effected the teams performance when it mattered.

You need your best players on the pitch with team solidarity to win the silverware and with Harry it wasn't possible. 

Anyway, silverware is won by systems and work with quality players on the pitch which can only succeed with team unity. Harry was never going to buy into that, which is the reason he couldn't  get a contract in Europe and came to us in the first place.

We don't need players that are best on the pitch one week and not turn up the next. That's not how you win silverware.

Yet you thought we needed Koren...

Hmmmm....

39 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

So @thisphantomfortress Any idea what the story was?

1. Harry being shown the door due to behaviour

2. Harry being sold because he was agitating for more money or a move and CFG wanted to capitalise on an asset?

3. Bit of both?

From an offhand conversation in Adelaide I think number 1 mostly

• 2 months later...

Harry wasn't in the Manisaspor squad for their 1-1 draw last night. Despite everything, his off-field antics and his erratic performances on the field, I think he's the player we will miss the most. Will never understand him - we gave him the chance to rebuild his life and his career, but he blew it. Sad.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Harry wasn't in the Manisaspor squad for their 1-1 draw last night. Despite everything, his off-field antics and his erratic performances on the field, I think he's the player we will miss the most. Will never understand him - we gave him the chance to rebuild his life and his career, but he blew it. Sad.

http://www.manisadabugun.com/spor/manisasporda-transfer-yasagi-kalkti-isimler-tffye-islendi-h13995.html

"Yabancı oyuncuların isimlerinin ise yazışma işlemleri uzun sürdüğü için yarın oynanacak Ümraniye maçına yetişmeyeceği öğrenildi. Buna göre Manisaspor’da İsmail Şahmalı ile Dimov siyah-beyazlı formayla ilk maçlarına çıkacaklar. Ozan Sol’da forma giyecek isimler arasında olacak. Tercihi Antrenör Osman Bilik yapacak. Yabancı transferlerden Novillo, Bakaki, Konde ise 3.haftada oynanacak Eskişehirspor maçıyla sahaya çıkacak."

They're basically saying that the suspension for foreign players was lifted before the match against Umraniyespor, but because Manisa took too long to submit which players will be in the squad, they weren't allowed to play against Umraniye. The last sentence says that Novillo, amongst others, will play in 3 weeks against Eskisehirspor.

• 3 months later...

Perhaps we should bring him back to City on the non-playing staff for six months, get him fit and try and get his head right, and then sign him as a player on a monthly contract with strict behaviour clauses. He would occupy a visa place only while registered as a player with us. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...