Melbourne Football

Round 12: City vs Perth, Fri 26th Dec 5:30pm

Murfy1

Damien Duff, Robbie Koren set to start for rejuvenated Melbourne City against Perth Glory

David Davutovic

December 22, 2014

VISA stars Damien Duff and Robbie Koren could be welcomed into the starting side for Melbourne City’s Boxing Day clash with Perth Glory.

But City will miss midfielder Massimo Murdocca, who suffered a recurrence of an ankle injury at training on Friday.

Murdocca is unlikely to be considered until the January 4 trip to Central Coast.

International marquee player Koren recovered well from his 30-minute cameo against Victory on Saturday night and will be in contention for a start against league leader Glory at AAMI Park.

Duff is likely to return after missing the derby because of a calf strain.

City’s luck may hold with midfielder Jacob Melling set to escape match review panel scrutiny for an elbow on ­Victory’s Leigh Broxham.

The derby win afterglow extended to the youth side, which featured Argentine midfielder Jonatan Germano in its 2-1 win against Perth Glory on Sunday. Germano, back from a hamstring issue, played 70 minutes.

With Socceroo Josh Kennedy set to play from January, things are looking up for City.

“It’s a massive boost for the club. Robbie’s been out for a long time and he’s a great ball player and leader,’’ midfielder Erik Paartalu said yesterday.

“He’s got a lot of respect in the dressingroom and he’s a guy you can count on the pitch.

“Josh Kennedy is training with us and he makes everyone get on their toes. I always felt as though the second half of the season will be stronger for us, especially with so many boys coming back from injury, which creates a better atmosphere at training and competition for places.

“If we can get a couple of ­results before the break, the second half we’ll finish very strong.

“Big clash against Perth, they’re flying.

“We’ve now got to turn these results into back- to-back performances.’’

Melling was lucky to escape a red card in the 55th minute for his elbow on Broxham.

The incident comes after Victory captain Mark Milligan received a three-game ban from the panel for elbowing Sydney FC’s Terry Antonis.

The fact referee Kris Griffiths-Jones showed a yellow card for “a reckless elbow” meant Melling cannot be sanctioned by the panel.

Victory coach Kevin Muscat fumed after the match.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/damien-duff-robbie-koren-set-to-start-for-rejuvenated-melbourne-city-against-perth-glory/story-e6frf4gl-1227163737069

Fark we could basically be at full strength this game with duff and koren starting, and even the possiblity of Germano coming in as well. Just a shame Kennedy can't play yet, sick of having to watch make-shift strikers like Williams not score every week.

Don't know who you would drop for Koren though, Melling would be really stiff to be dropped from the starting line-up, the kids a machine

Well up to 6th in 6th in the League

Will be a tough game against Perth, but one we can win with the same committment as yesterday.

Interesting news about Germano. Would replace Hoffman with him to be honest.

Would also probably start with Duff and Koren on the bench

My team would be

Velaphi

Germano Chapman Kisnorbo Garuccio

Paartalu

Melling                       Mooy

Brown          Williams          Dugnadzic

Subs: Redmayne Hoffman Mauk Koren Duff

No room for Wielhart and Ramsay :)

Edited by silva10

I would be weary of having both Duff and Koren in the selection as both are coming off soft tissue injuries. I would risk having only one player returning from injury. Given that Koren is here for two seasons and the team needs his skills' on the pitch, I would let Koren sit on the bench. Duff can wait till the following match. Germano is a no-no until he has a few games in the NYL - although I do agree that he is a better player than Hoffman. So no Germano or Duff in my team (although if both were fit they would be). There is a good argument to be had to keep the same starting line up as last week.

with 3 games in 9 days, we have be smart/strategic and I think we should be aiming for 5 points. Perth is obviously the in-form team, but the Jets & CCM very beatable even though away. Id be happy with a win and two draws from that lot.

I would not consider Germano - not sure how man minutes he played but surely with his history needs another run at youth level if not 2.

It is very hard to determine Duff/Koren as we just dont know how many km's they have in their legs, and exactly how they are. Starting both on the bench could be a master-stroke and a real ace up our sleeve, but it could unbalance the bench and become a problem?

• Like 1

Surprised that Duff is in the mix, to be honest, since last week's squad had him out for 2-5. I won't complain though. Not against an unchanged lineup, but realistically, if Koren's pulled up ok and Duff is right to go, they'd improve the team. Melling probably the unlucky one to make way for Koren. We all love his play and his hit on Broxham was probably one of the top 10 moments of the season, when you think about it. But that's only because he didn't ay full price for it. If he'd received a red, we'd probably be singing a pretty different tune about his performance and that was out of his control as soon as he threw the elbow.

I'm ok with Wielaert dropping out of the squad. If he's strictly a bench player now, that spot could be better used on a younger player.

Agree with Germano. No way in hell you would bring him in before the break. Give him as many games in the NYL as possible to get the fitness up.

Would still bring Koren off the bench, maybe half time next game. All depends on the game situation.

Duff is interesting. Perhaps his injury isn't as bad as first thought so would definitely start him. Straight swap for Ramsay.

Good to see our wingers playing on their correct side by the way.

I wouldn't start Koren off a six day break but hope they give him 35-45 mins off the bench.

Duff shouldn't be anywhere near the squad if he's sustained any sort of tear to his calf, they take an age to heal. Let him recover over the asian cup period ffs

Was it a tear? It could have just been a strain, for all the information I've seen about it. Calf injuries are rapidly becoming the new foot fracture, for all the hysteria around them.

http://physioworks.com.au/injuries-conditions-1/calf-muscle-tears

Calf strain may be minor or very severe. Your physiotherapist will grade the injury accordingly:

Grade 1:

The muscle is stretched causing some small micro tears in the muscle fibres. Recovery takes approximately 2 to 4 weeks if you do all the right things.

Grade 2:

There is partial tearing of muscle fibres. Full recovery takes approximately 4 to 8 weeks with good rehabilitation.

Grade 3:

This is the most severe calf strain with a complete tearing or rupture of muscle fibres in the lower leg. Full recovery can take 3-4 months and, in some instances, surgery may be needed.

Duff's injury was on December 7. Unless he sustained it in the opening minutes of the game, it's fair to assume that he probably hasn't aggravated it by trying to grit his teeth and play through it (subbed out at half time). It's now December 22 (15 days have passed) and we have another four days before the game (nearly three weeks since the injury occurred). That puts him smack bang in the middle of the 'Grade 1' recovery time.

Probably going to lose and then this forum go into meltdown.

Id be happy with a point

Absolutely. But it's a week-by-week thing. A point is fine (well, provided it isn't a Central Coast-esque game, where we absolutely capitulate and throw away the win), but then it's a case of moving on to the next week and grinding out a result on the road against Newcastle. Then, the same against Central Coast. That's what this team needs: consistent effort and forcing teams to actually win games, rather than throwing them away. If we can start relying on City to put in a similar effort to what we saw on Saturday, then we'll have games where we don't quite get the reward for that effort, but we'll also win more than we lose.

I think the depth that we're starting to see in the squad is going to help, in that regard. If we have guys like Murdocca and Germano consistently running around in the youth league, it puts the pressure on players to earn their spots every week. That's been a big problem with this team historically: not just that we've historically coughed up so many opportunities, but that we've done that and then we see the same culprits keeping their spots in the XI week after week.

• Like 2

At this point there's no need to do anything stupid with anyone. If it were me I would prefer Brown over Dugandzic, but other than that I don't see a great need to do much different from what we did against MV. Perth are not at the top for nothing. A draw would keep our momentum going. The second half of the season is going to be tougher than the first, so let's err on the safe side with Koren and Duff.

At this point there's no need to do anything stupid with anyone. If it were me I would prefer Brown over Dugandzic, but other than that I don't see a great need to do much different from what we did against MV. Perth are not at the top for nothing. A draw would keep our momentum going. The second half of the season is going to be tougher than the first, so let's err on the safe side with Koren and Duff.

I just think that with the rubbish reporting that we get from the A-League with regards to injuries, it's tough to make that call. Maybe the club has erred on the safe side with Duff? Maybe he was touch and go to get up for the derby?

One thing I would suggest though is that if they are both in full training this week and looking fit enough to start, it's worth looking at what we've got between now and the break. It's Victory, Perth, Newcastle and the Mariners in 15 days, with the last two being road trips. It would be a really positive sign for the team if the starting lineup from the weekend is retained for Friday, but realistically, we need to be looking to rotate and keep everyone fresh. Therefore, I'd probably consider starting one of Duff/Koren against Perth and have one on the bench, then reversing it against Newcastle and finally starting both against Central Coast, to head into the break on a high (well, provided no-one breaks anything).

Edited by SF33
  • Like 1

One thing I've liked is our starting eleven the last two games have been extremely mobile and quick, besides Kisnorbo, something we have lacked since our inception. I just hope we don't lose this for the sake of playing some older house hold names because they have returned from injury and happen to be available.

I probably wouldnt start Koren, but if we were to, I'd play him as a false 9 and take out Williams. Williams can't hit a barn door - no point having a striker who can't score goals or create opportunities for others.

Duff in for Ramsay if he's fit enough. Melling deserves to keep his spot- he has been fantastic

Id be happy with a point

As always, I will be happy if the players show some determination and play like they mean business. I don't mind a draw or even a loss as long as we go down swinging.

If we go back to our toothless brand of bland even if we win I won't be happy.

Edited by KSK_47

Id be happy with a point

As always, I will be happy if the players show some determination and play like they mean business. I don't mind a draw or even a loss as long as we go down swinging.

I have to bloody watch this on TV at my family's holiday house in the Hunter Valley - Which sucks because I swear that TV when it comes to Soccer is cursed.

On the plus side: Newy Away - "I am doing it again" for the next match we play.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

Id be happy with a point

Or elbowing? ;)

• Like 1

I wouldn't start Koren in his second game. I would put him on at half time, slowly increase his game time and start him against Newcastle. As for Duff, we don't have a clue of how serious the injury is, we are all basically guessing so I guess we just have to back the club to get this right. If he is fit and ready then we need him to play against Perth. 

Perth are the best team in the league and I can't wait to see how we play against them.  Hopefully Velaphi continues to keep a clean sheet and we can come away with a point at least.

2 clean sheets and 2 wins in a row! This can't be real, can it!?

How to bring Koren into the midfield will be a challenge for JVS.

To me, Melling is probably our most important player in midfield, in that he is a genuine physical presence and he simply wont let any opposition midfielder have an easy game.  For instance, Archie was kaput after he felt the full brunt of the Melling tackle and he hassled the crapper out of Valeri and any other tard player he could get near.  He was also immense in the air challenging for headers.  In an comp of the quality of the A-League, where midfielders are no way near slick enough to consistently play keeping's off, a player like Melling is worth their weight in gold, and they will win plenty of ball, or spoil their opponents attempts at fluent play.

I think Chapman, Melling & Tando are actually the most crucial to our team balance, whilst getting Ramsay out of LB was equally as important.

WSW used Ono off the bench quite a lot ... I think we should do the same with Koren, or start him on the flank and let him drift in and out centrally.  What this would do is give us good options off the bench, where all our wide players, and Willow (with the arrival of Kennedy) can be rotated through the team as starters vs substitutes.

• Like 2

If we able to do alright with injuries from here we should be able to make finals considering the divide in the competition... due to the both the quality of that players that  will come into the team but also the handy subs that we will have at our disposal.

A fit Kennedy will allow us to use Willow where he is at best as a Super Sub with explosive pace when everyone else is near exhausted whilst Melling could probably have even greater impact on games when coming on as a sub considering his still young.

A problem that Heart always had when games where in the balance was the lack of a good bunch of second tier of players to occupy the bench and come on and chase the game... instead guys like Kalmar or Hoff (S2 and S3) when come on and leave everyone involved with the club feeling deflated and thinking: "What is the fucken point".

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

Come on of course it counts towards something. Three points is three points. Better than drawing or losing to victory.

It does, but it's more from the perspective that we've pissed away so many points in the first third of the season, that we're likely to be in catch-up mode for much of the remainder of the season. And more than that is I think we've all seen how much of a rut (more like a crater) this  team tends to fall into as soon as it has a bad performance.

I guess the feeling should be 'The derby win was great, but it's nowhere near enough' and that the team probably needs to put in solid 90+ minute performances for the next three games to get back to equilibrium. 

• Like 4

Come on of course it counts towards something. Three points is three points. Better than drawing or losing to victory.

It does, but it's more from the perspective that we've pissed away so many points in the first third of the season, that we're likely to be in catch-up mode for much of the remainder of the season. And more than that is I think we've all seen how much of a rut (more like a crater) this team tends to fall into as soon as it has a bad performance.

I guess the feeling should be 'The derby win was great, but it's nowhere near enough' and that the team probably needs to put in solid 90+ minute performances for the next three games to get back to equilibrium.

YES! That's exactly the point I was making.

In fact its every week, not just this week, or the next three, or whatever. It's the ingredient that's been missing ever since Heart was founded. You wouldn't tolerate someone in your team at work who only felt the need to extend themselves once in a while, would you? Nor should we in a football club. It's not exactly the most onerous of occupations.

• Like 3

In fact its every week, not just this week, or the next three, or whatever. It's the ingredient that's been missing ever since Heart was founded. You wouldn't tolerate someone in your team at work who only felt the need to extend themselves once in a while, would you? Nor should we in a football club. It's not exactly the most onerous of occupations.

Yep, spot on. And it's why I'm loath to even look past Friday with this team. The amount of times I've got way too carried away with 'what could happen if we get 7+ points from the next three games' or whatever after a promising win over the last three seasons is ridiculous. And as soon as I start thinking like that, the team stuffs it up. Central Coast at home following the first win away against Brisbane was an absolutely classic example of it.

If they picked Germano I think he would replace Garruccio rather than Hoffmann. I don't think Koren should start. He looked really underdone to me and was struggling aerobically towards the end. He is a huge factor going forward and I don't think should be risked now. Along with this, the idea of bringing Duff and Germano back together off long injury breaks as well is really dangerous, but if Germano can get through 70 minutes of a youth game, at least he's had some sort of test. A grade 1 calf in a 35 year old is generally 3 weeks minimum - we're cutting it very fine if we try Duff. If Germano starts at LB, you then have the option of picking Garruccio on the wing or as a LB sub if injury blights Germano again - he gives us huge flexibility off the bench.

The other contentious issue I could foresee on the weekend is whether to start Brown over Williams (and before the howls of laughter hear me out). There were two clear opportunities for Williams in the first half to play early and easy through balls as the no 9 which would have given us clear 1v1 with the keeper and he had no insight or skill to play them. I think Brown is a more instinctive player and has better vision and certainly better touch. I think with Dugandzic and Garruccio, who are seriously quick either side, we can exploit this pace much better with Brown rather than Williams. I know Brown is not everyone's favourite, but on the weekend he would have served a better role given how we set up.

So: Velaphi

Hoffman Kisnorbo Chapman Germano

Paartalu

Melling Mooy

Dugandzic Brown Garruccio

Bench: Redmayne, Koren, Williams, Weilardt, Mauk.

My 2 cents worth.

If they picked Germano I think he would replace Garruccio rather than Hoffmann. I don't think Koren should start. He looked really underdone to me and was struggling aerobically towards the end. He is a huge factor going forward and I don't think should be risked now. Along with this, the idea of bringing Duff and Germano back together off long injury breaks as well is really dangerous, but if Germano can get through 70 minutes of a youth game, at least he's had some sort of test. A grade 1 calf in a 35 year old is generally 3 weeks minimum - we're cutting it very fine if we try Duff. If Germano starts at LB, you then have the option of picking Garruccio on the wing or as a LB sub if injury blights Germano again - he gives us huge flexibility off the bench.

The other contentious issue I could foresee on the weekend is whether to start Brown over Williams (and before the howls of laughter hear me out). There were two clear opportunities for Williams in the first half to play early and easy through balls as the no 9 which would have given us clear 1v1 with the keeper and he had no insight or skill to play them. I think Brown is a more instinctive player and has better vision and certainly better touch. I think with Dugandzic and Garruccio, who are seriously quick either side, we can exploit this pace much better with Brown rather than Williams. I know Brown is not everyone's favourite, but on the weekend he would have served a better role given how we set up.

So: Velaphi

Hoffman Kisnorbo Chapman Germano

Paartalu

Melling Mooy

Dugandzic Brown Garruccio

Bench: Redmayne, Koren, Williams, Weilardt, Mauk.

My 2 cents worth.

Williams was looking seriously clueless when he had the opportunity to set a teammate up on the break.

IMO James Brown is seriously under-rated on here. I would actually play him in preference to both Williams and Dugandzic.

Agree in part. Certainly have in front of Williams. Seems on here that when people make their mind on a player it's very hard to change them. Very few people were overly keen when we first signed him then once he conceded a sloppy penalty in the 1st derby that was the final nail in his coffin for many people.

• Like 1

The problem I have with Brown is that he is not that much better than Willo or Mate. He is no panacea to the ills of the forward line. His defensive work rate does not match Willo's. There were also a lot of people who were curious as to how he would fit in the side when he was signed - I was one of those. And I am still not clear how he does fit in. Contrast that with Mooy and Melling displacing Kalmar and Murdocca. As far as I am concerned he has yet to grab the opportunities presented to him; contrast that with Velaphi. He is OK perhaps a depth player but right now, meh.