Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

12 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I thought you'd been on the forum long enough to know players that will bring in a certain demographic of people to games was always an inside joke on here. 

my apologies if you took it the wrong way and yes i should of known better but it sliped my mind.

1 hour ago, AntiScum said:

No sarcasim intended what so ever Sharpy. Im not racist what so ever. May have looked worse than what i actually ment. Any marquee from any nationality to help this club become a super power would be great.

Haha I meant the one you quoted mate, not your post. People said we'd get all the Maltese community as supporters when Mifsud joined, the same has been said about the Greek community if we signed Samaras etc. 

So the original post that you quoted about Vidic and Serb community was just another remark along those lines.

7 minutes ago, sharpy said:

Haha I meant the one you quoted mate, not your post. People said we'd get all the Maltese community as supporters when Mifsud joined, the same has been said about the Greek community if we signed Samaras etc. 

So the original post that you quoted about Vidic and Serb community was just another remark along those lines.

Don't forget Koren and the Korean community. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

Wtf? I lol'd though :up: 

That's Tony Abbott's fault for locking up all the Koren asylum seekers who chose to come here just to watch him play.

Now that we have Novillo we should have a French cheese stall and French subtitles on the main screen in the stadium to capture the French market. There are already Braille signs to assist those who come to watch the referees.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 6

15 minutes ago, raw10 said:

Does anyone know when the Jan transfer window shut? We definitely need another defender IMO. God help us if any of the 2 old hats, Paddy and Hughes, gets injured.

We've got Malik, Clisby and Melling as back up. Probably not ideal but they can do the job. It is just the nature of A League squads. 

3 minutes ago, loriente said:

We've got Malik, Clisby and Melling as back up. Probably not ideal but they can do the job. It is just the nature of A League squads. 

True, but I like a proper CB tbh. I will reserve my opinion on Malik, as I haven't really seen him play much. Clisby, his inconsistency worries me and Melling, I would rather play him in midfield. 

3 hours ago, raw10 said:

True, but I like a proper CB tbh. I will reserve my opinion on Malik, as I haven't really seen him play much. Clisby, his inconsistency worries me and Melling, I would rather play him in midfield. 

Chapman should be back with in six weeks. I think numbers wise our defense is fine it's just a case of we have Kisnorbo who's turning 35, a 36 year old Hughes, an injured Chapman and our two best fullbacks Zullo & Franjic have both had several injury concerns. When Hughes leaves at seasons end we need to ensure we replace him with a very good replacement.

51 minutes ago, fortheloveofthegame said:

Phillipe Senderos has just left left Villa by mutual consent. 30 year old Centre back. Hasn't played for a while but worth a go I would've thought. 

I mentioned him a month or so ago. Would be a good signing but apparently Hellas Verona bottom of Serie A are looking at him.

20 hours ago, Jozzy said:

Chapman should be back with in six weeks. I think numbers wise our defense is fine it's just a case of we have Kisnorbo who's turning 35, a 36 year old Hughes, an injured Chapman and our two best fullbacks Zullo & Franjic have both had several injury concerns. When Hughes leaves at seasons end we need to ensure we replace him with a very good replacement.

I'm against trying to convert players at this stage of the season, but I do think we need to have a strong focus on our defensive stocks for next season and beyond. Shipping nearly two goals per match and relying on scoring three is not a good strategy. Hughes will go at the end of this season. Two others will be out of contract - Zullo and Kisnorbo - should they stay? Will they stay? Clisby and Chapman are OK, but Garuccio is a converted winger and IMO we need to decide on him - I would personally prefer him as a winger. As you say, both Franjic and Zullo have an injury cloud hanging over them. In our DM stocks we seem to have Malik, Melling and Paartalu - of these it's Erik who seems to draw the comments - he's either MOTM or can't pass for toffee depending on which of us is commenting.

I also include the GK position in this. IMO we've made the wrong decision on Tando - an understandable one but the wrong one in terms of the club. It seemed to me he would take over from Sorensen gradually next season, but now we're back at square one for Sorensen's successor.

Overall TBH it's a bit of a dog's breakfast, and I'm not sure what the strategy is.

On 28/01/2016 at 10:45 AM, jw1739 said:

I'm against trying to convert players at this stage of the season, but I do think we need to have a strong focus on our defensive stocks for next season and beyond. Shipping nearly two goals per match and relying on scoring three is not a good strategy. Hughes will go at the end of this season. Two others will be out of contract - Zullo and Kisnorbo - should they stay? Will they stay? Clisby and Chapman are OK, but Garuccio is a converted winger and IMO we need to decide on him - I would personally prefer him as a winger. As you say, both Franjic and Zullo have an injury cloud hanging over them. In our DM stocks we seem to have Malik, Melling and Paartalu - of these it's Erik who seems to draw the comments - he's either MOTM or can't pass for toffee depending on which of us is commenting.

I also include the GK position in this. IMO we've made the wrong decision on Tando - an understandable one but the wrong one in terms of the club. It seemed to me he would take over from Sorensen gradually next season, but now we're back at square one for Sorensen's successor.

Overall TBH it's a bit of a dog's breakfast, and I'm not sure what the strategy is.

I agree with this.

Have looked into the this formation and strategy and even though it seams its success is heavily dependent on the wingers attacking, it is actually more so on the 3 defenders. Problem is that when in attack the wings are vulnerable on the counter with the CB trying to hold up play and stop the cross until the winger drops back in. Anyway the CB are essential, so @jw1739 is spot on with his concerns.

This is an analysis I copied and pasted somewhere to gain an understanding:

'Weakness of the 3 5 2

In order to use this formation, you've got to have a talented squad. The centre-backs, in particular, need to be of a specific mould.

The outside two must be mobile and have good agility. You only have to look at how Eden Hazard turned Ivan Ramis in Chelsea's opening game against Wigan to see what can happen.

The central defender must be dominant in the air and happy to move forward with the ball—if he isn't positionally perfect, none of them are. It's flawless, or it's tragic.

When three at the back meet one up front, it can become tough to figure out who should mark the front man. If the central player man-marks, what do the others do? Little things can throw a three-man defence when it's inexperienced, as City found out at Anfield in the Premier League.

The biggest worry for a 3-5-2 is when one of the defenders is dragged infield, or gets lost. The success of a back three lies in its rigidity, so when the line is destroyed, the outside two will squeeze in to try and compensate.

This leaves massive holes, as there are no full-backs whatsoever. This is where the danger of the false-nine lurks, and why it proves Daniele De Rossi is a world-class thinking footballer as he refused to fall for Cesc Fabregas' traps in the Euros.'

Edited by playmaker

1 hour ago, tommac said:

#DeRossiformarquee

I've heard this one too, although its worth noting he's about to enter the final year of a 15m a year deal.

It's possible that you could sign him for 8m a season over two years or something similar, but it really does seem an unlikely move. Would be a statement of intent never before seen in the A League, miles bigger than even Del Piero.

Still, theres some shreds of evidence that could lend itself to a case, such as Zappone stating on Monday we were in talks with a massive Serie A star, the fact he was in Melbourne for the ICC back in June, the fact he'd be a perfect replacement (and then some) for Mooy, and the fact that City chased him hard back in 2013.

Like I said, really unlikely, but one can dream.

25 minutes ago, bt50 said:

I've heard this one too, although its worth noting he's about to enter the final year of a 15m a year deal.

It's possible that you could sign him for 8m a season over two years or something similar, but it really does seem an unlikely move. Would be a statement of intent never before seen in the A League, miles bigger than even Del Piero.

Still, theres some shreds of evidence that could lend itself to a case, such as Zappone stating on Monday we were in talks with a massive Serie A star, the fact he was in Melbourne for the ICC back in June, the fact he'd be a perfect replacement (and then some) for Mooy, and the fact that City chased him hard back in 2013.

Like I said, really unlikely, but one can dream.

472065526-nemanja-vidic-of-fc-internazio

• jw1739 pinned this topic