Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

20 hours ago, Red or Dead said:

Unless the A-League go for a "Western Victoria" team that could encompass Geelong, Ballarat, maybe Bendigo & all the way out to Warrnambool, I don't think Geelong can work on it's own.

So I still think the South East of Melbourne is the better option and South Melbourne could be that third team! Sure it'd be great if we had a nice 20,000 seater out Oakleigh-Dandenong-Casey way, but playing out of Lakeside Stadium would make the most sense. Maybe re-apply as "Southern Cross FC" again ;) 

I tell ya what, if they come out wearing this red V, it'd make it pretty hard as a Greek Sydney Swan supporter to not back them! Lol

South Melbourne. Heritage strip.

I have some news for you. 

It involves south Melbourne, Wellington Phoenix and Foxtel.

That's all I'm saying apart from watch this space. 

2 minutes ago, malloy said:

Does this mean we will have to say goodbye to sheepdog?

I'm a man of my word mate so if it happens, fucking oath I'm out of this shit cunt of a club!!!

Some of you have forged your way into my heart so I'm sure we could remain friendly.

Not tomby though, that kid is a deadset wanker. 

• Like 5

Right, so we're the only club with South supporters. Like Victory wont be affected if South join?

Two clubs in Melbourne, one still struggling with membership numbers. So let's add another metro club that will further dilute support down here. 

Bollocks. No way can I see the FFA wanting to add South directly into the A-League.

The only way I can see this happening is by introducing a second tier competition, with relegation/promotion from/to the A-League. That makes more sense to me if you're talking Phoenix, South and Foxtel - they will play in that.

Still sounds like more South ego talk to me though.

44 minutes ago, rass said:

Right, so we're the only club with South supporters. Like Victory wont be affected if South join?

Two clubs in Melbourne, one still struggling with membership numbers. So let's add another metro club that will further dilute support down here. 

Bollocks. No way can I see the FFA wanting to add South directly into the A-League.

The only way I can see this happening is by introducing a second tier competition, with relegation/promotion from/to the A-League. That makes more sense to me if you're talking Phoenix, South and Foxtel - they will play in that.

Still sounds like more South ego talk to me though.

We are struggling to retain supporters. Our overall number of new supporters over the last 6 seasons has been reasonable, however for obvious reasons most don't bother to renew. A third Melbourne club that played consistently good football would be well supported. So would a second Melbourne club

25 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

We are struggling to retain supporters. Our overall number of new supporters over the last 6 seasons has been reasonable, however for obvious reasons most don't bother to renew. A third Melbourne club that played consistently good football would be well supported. So would a second Melbourne club

No. A new club right now would be detrimental in the short run and be dependent on CFG bankrolling the club quite generously for a lot longer than what they had previously anticipated. Another club can be anticipated in Sydney because both Sydney clubs are successful on the pitch and have established membership bases. This is not the case in Melbourne where only one club is successful on both counts. City OTOH are failures on both counts. I note that MV have no difficulty in getting 1000 people to their business lunch and that City have to make do with a mere 500. This in a city of 4.5M people and that has some of the biggest companies HQ here.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

No. A new club right now would be detrimental in the short run and be dependent on CFG bankrolling the club quite generously for a lot longer than what they had previously anticipated. Another club can be anticipated in Sydney because both Sydney clubs are successful on the pitch and have established membership bases. This is not the case in Melbourne where only one club is successful on both counts. City OTOH are failures on both counts. I note that MV have no difficulty in getting 1000 people to their business lunch and that City have to make do with a mere 500. This in a city of 4.5M people and that has some of the biggest companies HQ here.

well , winners are grinners, hence the following they have

49 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

You have to remember that Victory had a 5 year run to basically bed down the support in a city that was screaming out for a team. They have had it easy. It was always going to be hard for a second team in Melbourne, hence why Heart failed and its even harder now. Its going to take a long time for City to gain a large support as it will probably correlate with the general growth in the Aleague. 

I already think there has been a big effort to establish some kind of 'Melbourne' identity with those little competitions of taking a photo somewhere in Melbourne, that advertisement in perhaps the most recognisable place in Melbourne with the competition along with it, also city live being at the NGV, the player of the year at the town hall and of course the badge.

Unfortunately with all these things it takes time (and sacking JVS)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dylan said:

You have to remember that Victory had a 5 year run to basically bed down the support in a city that was screaming out for a team. They have had it easy. It was always going to be hard for a second team in Melbourne, hence why Heart failed and its even harder now. Its going to take a long time for City to gain a large support as it will probably correlate with the general growth in the Aleague.

I already think there has been a big effort to establish some kind of 'Melbourne' identity with those little competitions of taking a photo somewhere in Melbourne, that advertisement in perhaps the most recognisable place in Melbourne with the competition along with it, also city live being at the NGV, the player of the year at the town hall and of course the badge.

Unfortunately with all these things it takes time (and sacking JVS)

And ultimately, all those good intiatives will fall flat without results. We need desperately a period of success to cash in on our community work.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Despite all that I don't really resonate with City being an entity of Melbourne. Feels more like a fast food chain at an emotional level. 

Still love A-League and going to games though so City serves a purpose for me.

Well those things take time with the general public so at least they are starting. The reality is these 'identities' take time to develop and I bet in 10 or so years these conversations wont be happening.

Edited by Dylan

The franchise holders run the risk of losing so much momentum that even when they do become successful own the pitch (and I believe that eventually they will) it will not translate into increased community support and we'll always be playing to 5-10,000 people and be the permanent 'shit-sibling' team in Melbourne.

2 hours ago, NewConvert said:

My point though is that we have attracted enough supporters over our existence to be competitive with the visitors in terms of size but our churn has been so big that there has been very little nett growth. The community interest is there but this is a competitive sophisticated sporting market, perhaps the most competitive in the world. You just can't establish a new franchise, offer continual failure and expect support. The support is out there and is likely to be attracted to a third team IF it were successful. There will be a third team in Melbourne sooner or later and MCFC risks remaining the least supported of the 3 teams unless it gets it's on field performances in order now so that there is a history of success.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

My point though is that we have attracted enough supporters over our existence to be competitive with the visitors in terms of size but our churn has been so big that there has been very little nett growth. The community interest is there but this is a competitive sophisticated sporting market, perhaps the most competitive in the world. You just can't establish a new franchise, offer continual failure and expect support. The support is out there and is likely to be attracted to a third team IF it were successful. There will be a third team in Melbourne sooner or later and MCFC risks remaining the least supported of the 3 teams unless it gets it's on field performances in order now so that there is a history of success.

I think that the support is soft. As you note that the club has had a large rate of churn because of the poor quality football that has been played. This is in stark contrast with WSW who went to win from the get go, thus cementing a core set of followers that are still there although last season was an absolute shocker. I can't see the FFA bringing in a third Melbourne club until City has cemented its spot in the public's mind although I will concede that their patience will not last forever.

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

I think that the support is soft. As you note that the club has had a large rate of churn because of the poor quality football that has been played. This is in stark contrast with WSW who went to win from the get go, thus cementing a core set of followers that are still there although last season was an absolute shocker. I can't see the FFA bringing in a third Melbourne club until City has cemented its spot in the public's mind although I will concede that their patience will not last forever.

WSW have been successful from their first season but even then they lost some support with their poor last season. There'll always be some fair weather fans but the longer you field competitive teams and offer at least some success the stronger that identification with the team becomes. If FFA see a strong proposal from a third Melbourne team they may be inclined to back it as the best way to build a true competition for support in Melbourne and I wouldn't blame them if the current situation continues for the remainder of the season. If we wait until after Xmas then we are already saying goodbye to ACL next year and that already diminishes what we can offer potential recruits for next season.

7 minutes ago, Defibrillator said:

I was thinking the other day, how many years do you have to sit and watch shit football, clueless coaches and a club bereft of a winning culture before you can jump off and NOT be labelled a "fair weather supporter"?

A derogatory phrase thrown around a lot but I think everyone's patience is being tested at present!!

I think 50 games. If you put in the time and money to sit through 50 live games.

Pretty much, Melbourne City has ruined any chance of there being a 3rd Melbourne club in the near future. The lack of supporters make it seem like there isn't demand for a 3rd club in Melbourne.

Any chance of there being a new club in the A-League from Melbourne is if the license is taken away and they start from complete scratch.

7 hours ago, gundam said:

Pretty much, Melbourne City has ruined any chance of there being a 3rd Melbourne club in the near future. The lack of supporters make it seem like there isn't demand for a 3rd club in Melbourne.

Any chance of there being a new club in the A-League from Melbourne is if the license is taken away and they start from complete scratch.

No chance. CFG are way bigger than the FFA, they are linked to Asia through the ownership structure and the FFA will not allow that to jeopardise Australia being part of the Asian Confederation. Besides the solution to the on-field woes are relatively straight forward: find a good coach (I would have said easier said than done but the Jets and WSW prove that it is not a needle in a haystack issue), stop signing octogenarians that get injured easily, stop signing injured players. The last two is a pretty straight forward thing to do.

I actually think because of CFG and their money there's a better chance of a 3rd Melbourne team than if CFG hadn't taken over.
With CFG the FFA doesn't have to worry about the club folding because of lack of money. Which has been the big problem in the leagues 1st 10 years.

The question is would the FFA be happy enough for a cashed up club with a small supporter base with low match attendance and low TV ratings being in the league and dragging down all those figures for the league average?

• jw1739 pinned this topic