Melbourne Football

Transfer Talk, Rumours and Speculation

jw1739

39 minutes ago, morphine said:

Joe Cole guest stint this year, marquee next confirmed. 

Mid 30s, unfit and with hamstrings dodgier than mine.

Perfect.

If the club has come out and said they wont be getting Lampard, Pirlo or Villa for a guest stint, I can't see why they'd go for Cole.

Edited by rass

2 hours ago, n i k o said:

I can't even watch the video due to region locking, but I can tell from the one-liner underneath the video that it's nonsense.

The reason CFG will not allow any players to go on a guest stint in Melbourne is because of the fallout of Lampardgate. The NYCFC fans were on the verge of virtual mutiny only months into their first season supporting the club because a player who should've been with them instead played all the way through the winter when he should have been resting and then didn't turn up for several months. All three of Lampard, Villa and Pirlo have had to go on record stating that they have no intention of leaving NYC for an off-season loan, because if it happened the disruption both to team and to fanbase would rip the club apart.

Edited by Falastur

2 minutes ago, Falastur said:

I can't even watch the video due to region locking, but I can tell from the one-liner underneath the video that it's nonsense.

The reason CFG will not allow any players to go on a guest stint in Melbourne is because of the fallout of Lampardgate. The NYCFC fans were on the verge of virtual mutiny only months into their first season supporting the club because a player who should've been with them instead played all the way through the winter when he should have been resting and then didn't turn up for several months. All three of Lampard, Villa and Pirlo have had to go on record stating that they have no intention of leaving NYC for an off-season loan, because if it happened the disruption both to team and to fanbase would rip the club apart.

I'm more likely to call bullshit than anything else. CFG couldn't be that silly could they? 

22 minutes ago, Falastur said:

Its basically implying that CDG are blackmailing the league. Crowds and TV viewing numbers are down this year mostly thought to be because of a lack of any real proper marques. Its been reported the other clubs have asked CFG to bring one of their stars for a guest stint. This would boost interest, crowds and TV viewing and help the other clubs.
In other words; Let us play in sky-blue if you want us to bring one of our stars to play in the A-League, or we won't bring anyone

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Deeming said:

Its basically implying that CDG are blackmailing the league. Crowds and TV viewing numbers are down this year mostly thought to be because of a lack of any real proper marques. Its been reported the other clubs have asked CFG to bring one of their stars for a guest stint. This would boost interest, crowds and TV viewing and help the other clubs.
In other words; Let us play in sky-blue if you want us to bring one of our stars to play in the A-League, or we won't bring anyone

I'd heard the rumours that City had been asked to bring players over to bring up the standard (because I read it here) but again, since the first minute I read it I've been pretty convinced that the reason they are refusing is because, again, it would just cause too much chaos back in NYC.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Falastur said:

I'd heard the rumours that City had been asked to bring players over to bring up the standard (because I read it here) but again, since the first minute I read it I've been pretty convinced that the reason they are refusing is because, again, it would just cause too much chaos back in NYC.

And that's fine if that's the reason, I know NYCFC fans were rightly pissed off over Lampard, even more so than we were with Villa's 'guest' spell for us. Unfortunately CFG have created this problem by their mishandling of Lampard and Villa.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Deeming said:

And that's fine if that's the reason, I know NYCFC fans were rightly pissed off over Lampard, even more so than we were with Villa's 'guest' spell for us. Unfortunately CFG have created this problem by their mishandling of Lampard and Villa.

I wouldn't argue with that - I still think it's the right thing to do for the group as a whole to not bring any of those three players over though. I mean, even if you put aside the discord story, it has to be remembered that Lampard and Pirlo have now played football continuously since July 2014, and if they were to come to Melbourne then by the time they next got a proper rest, they'd have been playing competitive football for perhaps as much as 30 months straight with an off-season. Villa could cope a little better but I'm still not sold. Better to find a guest player somewhere else, even if with no previous CFG connections, and have no ramifications anywhere.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Falastur said:

I wouldn't argue with that - I still think it's the right thing to do for the group as a whole to not bring any of those three players over though. I mean, even if you put aside the discord story, it has to be remembered that Lampard and Pirlo have now played football continuously since July 2014, and if they were to come to Melbourne then by the time they next got a proper rest, they'd have been playing competitive football for perhaps as much as 30 months straight with an off-season. Villa could cope a little better but I'm still not sold. Better to find a guest player somewhere else, even if with no previous CFG connections, and have no ramifications anywhere.

So last week all aleague clubs had a meeting in Canberra. Apparently the message that came from the other clubs to City was asking if we would be able to bring in a high profile name to boost the league. Is there any chance we could have used this as leverage in some sort of way?

2 minutes ago, mjake1234 said:

And why don't one of the other clubs bring in a high profile marquee?

It because we are in a cycle of younger lesser known but potentially greater output types. Also they changed the rules so late that most deals were done. I reckon in future clubs will look at the big names (older types) for one of the two spots just to generate more interest.  

4 hours ago, n i k o said:

So last week all aleague clubs had a meeting in Canberra. Apparently the message that came from the other clubs to City was asking if we would be able to bring in a high profile name to boost the league. Is there any chance we could have used this as leverage in some sort of way?

I'm not sure, but I doubt it. It's a question of principle in some ways for them now - they are so paranoid (I use the word for emphasis but they may have a point) about players being taken away from them now that they simply don't want to allow any major player to leave if he's not at the end of his contract.

Imagine CFG were to expand to Singapore (not entirely impossible) by buying a team there and say that the Singaporean League asked CFG to bring in Aaron Mooy to act as a publicity project, to play between June and the end of the season in November. Would the knowledge that Mooy was going to really kick-start their season be enough to satisfy you that it was worth allowing him to miss all of preseason and the first few League games and would come back having had little rest between the start of our 2015-16 season and when he first came back for 2016-17? Similarly I can't imagine many people in Manchester would be happy to approve Aguero or Silva heading to NYCFC for the last few months of the Pl season. 

At the end of the day, people look out for the interests of their own team first, especially when they've been messed around before - and I say that in full appreciation of the David Villa situation last year, which I was just as unhappy about as you all. 

1 hour ago, thisphantomfortress said:

I'd like it just to tell NYCFCfan10 or whatever he was called that they have no right to be pissed off, after he told us that we didnt over Villa.

Not by an means an unjust response.

Edited by Falastur
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, gundam said:

I am also wondering the same so I can ditch this shitty club and go support them instead

Would love to make our own club. Get wealthy investors on board, choose an area to represent (Casey?) and market + run the club properly. Essentially what Heart tried to do but failed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, morphine said:

South East growth corridor. Think Berwick, Narre Warren, Fountain Gate...

Unless the A-League go for a "Western Victoria" team that could encompass Geelong, Ballarat, maybe Bendigo & all the way out to Warrnambool, I don't think Geelong can work on it's own.

So I still think the South East of Melbourne is the better option and South Melbourne could be that third team! Sure it'd be great if we had a nice 20,000 seater out Oakleigh-Dandenong-Casey way, but playing out of Lakeside Stadium would make the most sense. Maybe re-apply as "Southern Cross FC" again ;) 

I tell ya what, if they come out wearing this red V, it'd make it pretty hard as a Greek Sydney Swan supporter to not back them! Lol

South Melbourne. Heritage strip.

• Like 1

• jw1739 pinned this topic