Melbourne Football

kalmar done and dusted

drewmelbcity

He played some good games for Melbourne Heart, but for whatever reason never established himself. The squad, with the midfield strength we have, if not the league in general, has surpassed him. So the right decision I think. I wouldn't rule out him being a decent signing for another A-League side though.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 5

Agree that this club in particular has passed him by. And with good young midfielders like Stefan Mauk and Jacob Melling, who could possibly develop a lot and get a lot better, there's no need to have a 27 year old like Kalmar for midfield depth.

This is the key passage for me

But van’t Schip’s desperation to fill the final spot on the roster with a quality player is understood to be behind his hopes of releasing Kalmar.

City has minimal salary cap space and releasing Kalmar would enable them to sign Miller or a defensive player, as they have a visa spot available.

Releasing a midfielder like Kalmar and bringing in a new player, possibly a Visa player and possibly a defensive player, who be an excellent move IMO. And exactly the sort of move that many on this forum have been calling for.

But as the article notes, Kalmar has to want to leave, which is why Melbourne City would like to facilitate Kalmar's move to another club, to make him agree to move on.

I do think club staff have knowingly placed Kalmar down the pecking order in an effort to persuade him to move on. It's the sort of ruthless and competitive dimension we haven't really seen at this club before, but it's probably the kind of thing the club has needed to shakeup the club atmosphere and culture. No non-sense if players aren't usefully playing or contributing.

I can see Kalmar being an ok player at another A-League club, perhaps Newcastle, but his time at Melbourne City is up.

Its good for the franchise to release him, clearly he's not rated highly and is well down the pecking order and unlikely to play unless there was a string of midfielder injuries (in which case I'd rather play a NYL midfielder and give him a chance). Certainly Miller is a step up in quality. It looks like Germano's position will be reviewed in January from the wording in the sam,e article.

Interesting. I recall JvS' words after he'd watched a lot of VPL matches and when NK was first signed from the VPL - "Nick was always the stand-out player." Early in our first season there were other A-League clubs chasing him and we gave him a two-year deal because we valued him highly.

Agree with Bela's interpretation of the last part of the article - Germano has been put on notice.

As I've said before, terminating someone is never easy or pleasant. But there's little or no room for sentiment in football. Overall it's a change for the better to see City toughening up.

• Like 1

If we do make some moves in January we should be looking at Jack Hingert. Looks like he's on the outer at Brisbane this season with Mulvey preferring Bowles and/or Donachie at right back.

Would be nice to have another Victorian in the squad and he was excellent for Brisbane last season and is a major improvement on Hoffman.

If we do make some moves in January we should be looking at Jack Hingert. Looks like he's on the outer at Brisbane this season with Mulvey preferring Bowles and/or Donachie at right back.

Would be nice to have another Victorian in the squad and he was excellent for Brisbane last season and is a major improvement on Hoffman.

he's injured atm, out for months isn't he? should wait till next season then

Wasting this new spot on a right back would be absolutely stupid.  We desperately need a LB more than any other position on the pitch.  As Belaguttman keeps saying week in week out, we need to replace the weakest link in the team, which is definitely Ramsay/LB by a country mile

• Like 6

Good luck to Nicky but sometimes things don't work out and it's time to move on - both the club and player. He showed himself to be smart with the ball but a little too slow and ponderous for my liking. As mentioned already, Melling and Mauk have shown great potential. Absolutely agree that the effort should be to try to plug our obvious defensive worries across the back line and goal keeping but it's gonna take time.

He has not left the club yet. He has been told that there is no future for him at the club and that the club would assist him to find a new club. Hence this weekend he will still be on the playing roster and the club will still be paying him his wages.

And yes it is sad that things did not work out for him but that is the situation for all professional sports. Maybe someone like Poppa can unlock the talent that he has but I think that with every season, the quality of the A-League continues to improve and players will have a shorter career.

I would do everything in my power to get Alex Gersbach from Sydney.

Calling it now: this kid will make the Socceroos LB position his own *

*Doesn't apply if player hits bad form, injury, or  found out to be shit.  The judges decision is final, and no further correspondence will be entered in to.

Oh yeah Kalmar-talent but didn't have the body.  Sorry to see him go. 

He has not left the club yet. He has been told that there is no future for him at the club and that the club would assist him to find a new club. Hence this weekend he will still be on the playing roster and the club will still be paying him his wages.

And yes it is sad that things did not work out for him but that is the situation for all professional sports. Maybe someone like Poppa can unlock the talent that he has but I think that with every season, the quality of the A-League continues to improve and players will have a shorter career.

its not about ability.  Its about fitness.

He has a chronic back problem...sounds familiar...

Edited by Kiro Kompiro

• 4 weeks later...