Melbourne Football

Rd 1 vs Brisbane (away) Tues 28/12 7pm

neio

56 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Says Postponed on the club website.

Perhaps not unfavourable.

Less games in January, more time to fit our new January acquisitions in - our new CB, injury replacement for Nabbout and perhaps some more squad changes in January (there won’t be another window).

32 minutes ago, haz said:

Doubt there will be one.

Nabbout to be the latest inductee of the Germano Treatment Centre?

Yes, the club's sign-writer is already preparing the name-board for the "new" facility at Casey Fields.

The "Germano Treatment Centre" must, I feel, remain part of the nostalgia associated with the Bundoora HQ.

I still remember that magnificent goal he scored and pulled the Santa hat from out of his shorts. A classic A-League moment. Not like that anymore, is it - too sterile by far these days!

16 minutes ago, Jovan said:

My take on last night. 

Firstly and most importantly its 3 points and in current state points won are worth double, that is we are likely going to see bubble scenarios major rescheduling, so 3 points away from home is massive.

For me we basically won because we had better quality players, but looked very disjointed. Having said that our spine was solid, excluding Glover that looked all over the shop and a shadow of last season. 

Good and Griffiths were outstanding as was Oneil and Metcalfe, Luna was solid until his bizarre second yellow, his first was unnecessary and his second was just wrong ( has VAR been axed?) and Maclaren was a solid and gave a great focal point but lacked clear opportunities,  the concern was and is our flanks.

I felt they were confused, both fullbacks were poor especially going forward and our wingers were the greatest disappointment. 

I'm not going to target the players but more so the structure but both are going to need massive improvement if we are to maintain last seasons level.

Next week will be fascinating. 

Happy new year to you all.

You're spot on about the wings. A replica of the Bentleigh performance. We don't need to consider Nabbout now, but Noone is a real worry. Luna needs a bloody good talking to - on a yellow and just asking for trouble going in like that - maybe not a yellow but almost every referee would have given it. With Berenguer just being Berenguer - need I say more? - we've certainly got some issues to deal with. Luna will miss one, Noone and Berenguer aren't worth a start on current performances, leaving Tsubaki as the only visa player who should start against Adelaide....

Throw away that ghastly pink GK kit. They look and play like pansies in it.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

You're spot on about the wings. A replica of the Bentleigh performance. We don't need to consider Nabbout now, but Noone is a real worry. Luna needs a bloody good talking to - on a yellow and just asking for trouble going in like that - maybe not a yellow but almost every referee would have given it. With Berenguer just being Berenguer - need I say more? - we've certainly got some issues to deal with. Luna will miss one, Noone and Berenguer aren't worth a start on current performances, leaving Tsubaki as the only visa player who should start against Adelaide....

Throw away that ghastly pink GK kit. They look and play like pansies in it.

With Noone, you are expecting wingers to take on their opponents, get behind the defence lines, explosiveness etc - it’s been a while since we’ve seen that from him. 

Tsubaki seemed to have a little more flair, good first touch, however being relatively small needs to bring something special to get past his opponent.

I see the stale performance on the wings just as much as a problem that we can’t make something happening through midfield more often. Saying that if he take our chance as last night you keep winning!

A tough win and three points.  

Jamieson did well I thought, and was inverted (TENET anyone?) at least some of the time. Some of his crosses weren’t too bad. Garuccio was a bit more of a concern. I just don’t like FBs on their ‘wrong’ side as a matter of principle. He looked out of sorts going forward and defensively suspect. Atkinson comes back into the team. The CBs were very solid, Good especially. Glover made a nice save or two but the sweeping error was awful.

The midfield looked a bit unbalanced and inexperienced. They should collectively improve. I can’t shake the feeling that O’Neill is more of a CM than a DM but he did pretty well. Brillante was the best exponent of that position we’ve ever had so O’Neill has big shoes to fill. We probably will see quite a bit of chopping and changing, and I can’t wait to see Gomulka in that role. He looks like a classic deep-lying playmaker.

The forwards were ordinary. Maclaren getting more involved in the build-up is a positive sign. He didn’t do enough of that last season, so to see him get the assist with a nice pass was encouraging. 

A special mention to Metcalfe. If there’s been a more two-sided player I’d be surprised. I genuinely can’t tell if he’s left-footed or right-footed. I think left-footed but he has a beautiful shot on both sides. Hopefully he can be our goal scoring midfielder because we need more goals from that part of the pitch, especially if Nabbout is out and Noone can’t deliver.

All in all a nice win and something to build on. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harrison said:

A tough win and three points.  

Jamieson did well I thought, and was inverted (TENET anyone?) at least some of the time. Some of his crosses weren’t too bad. Garuccio was a bit more of a concern. I just don’t like FBs on their ‘wrong’ side as a matter of principle. He looked out of sorts going forward and defensively suspect. Atkinson comes back into the team. The CBs were very solid, Good especially. Glover made a nice save or two but the sweeping error was awful.

The midfield looked a bit unbalanced and inexperienced. They should collectively improve. I can’t shake the feeling that O’Neill is more of a CM than a DM but he did pretty well. Brillante was the best exponent of that position we’ve ever had so O’Neill has big shoes to fill. We probably will see quite a bit of chopping and changing, and I can’t wait to see Gomulka in that role. He looks like a classic deep-lying playmaker.

The forwards were ordinary. Maclaren getting more involved in the build-up is a positive sign. He didn’t do enough of that last season, so to see him get the assist with a nice pass was encouraging. 

A special mention to Metcalfe. If there’s been a more two-sided player I’d be surprised. I genuinely can’t tell if he’s left-footed or right-footed. I think left-footed but he has a beautiful shot on both sides. Hopefully he can be our goal scoring midfielder because we need more goals from that part of the pitch, especially if Nabbout is out and Noone can’t deliver.

All in all a nice win and something to build on. 

Aiden seems pretty dynamic actually and played well in the second half, perhaps Gomulka in DM and move O’Neill up the pitch might be worth a try.

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

No.

You have to be creative with red cards and unfit players. You are basically saying Gomulka should never play (DM is his natural position). Would be nice to see him in action one day. Then again Tilio can play AM too.

Edited by Mr MO

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

You have to be creative with red cards and unfit players. You are basically saying Gomulka should never play (DM is his natural position). Would be nice to see him in action one day. Then again Tilio can play AM too.

If ONeill is fit, I’d play him at DM. Especially right now, when we are trying to build a system etc.

So Gomulka is a backup if ONeill is not available. 

In short I see it like this. We signed O’Neill to play DM, so that’s where we should play him. 
If you meant for the next game, well I guess it depends who is fit, I’m assuming everyone except Luna and Nabbout is available 

20 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

If ONeill is fit, I’d play him at DM. Especially right now, when we are trying to build a system etc.

So Gomulka is a backup if ONeill is not available. 

In short I see it like this. We signed O’Neill to play DM, so that’s where we should play him. 
If you meant for the next game, well I guess it depends who is fit, I’m assuming everyone except Luna and Nabbout is available 

I'd assume Florin may also not be ready. So that potentially promotes at least one of Gomulka or Tilio. Tsubaki likely to be the starter to replace Nabbout, with others moving up to cover the wings on the bench. With two enforced changes and Atkinson still ruled out, I suspect that a. we won't want to change too much else and b. we're going to find out how good our youth cover is. Feeling strangely positive. Across the league, I suspect this is the season for youth. 

38 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

The season could be under threat now. Because those fuckwits in NSW wouldn't take the necessary lockdown action we've now got 3 COVID-19 cases in Victoria linked to the Sydney outbreak - Mentone, Hallam and Mitcham.

Yes, wrong call by Gladys. And thinking they can hold a test match next week is just dumb. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Yes, wrong call by Gladys. And thinking they can hold a test match next week is just dumb. 

And the midnight fireworks tomorrow - cancelled the 21.00 lot but going ahead at midnight. Don't know about you mate, but I'm furious about it all. They are threatening the whole country now with their lack of action. FMD I didn't go through 9 months of isolation and then lockdown for nothing.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

And the midnight fireworks tomorrow - cancelled the 21.00 lot but going ahead at midnight. Don't know about you mate, but I'm furious about it all. They are threatening the whole country now with their lack of action. FMD I didn't go through 9 months of isolation and then lockdown for nothing.

I think there's a degree of arrogance at play. NSW think they've got away with it so far and keep crowing about their 'exemplary' contact tracing. And there is both a geographic and political desire to get one up on Dan. But this time they need to learn a little humility and learn from our experience. 

• Like 2

@fensaddler I know I'm off-topic, but the NSW Contact Tracing has never really been put to the test until now. I read an article somewhere that it doesn't really matter how good it is, no system can cope with more than about 40 new cases per day because even though you may know who their contacts are you can't necessarily contact them to alert them.

27 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

@fensaddler I know I'm off-topic, but the NSW Contact Tracing has never really been put to the test until now. I read an article somewhere that it doesn't really matter how good it is, no system can cope with more than about 40 new cases per day because even though you may know who their contacts are you can't necessarily contact them to alert them.

Yes, I'm getting really pissed off with Gladys and her government now. Less thanking and asking and pleading, and more telling, ordering and enforcing required.

Unfortunately it seems like human nature is a bit once bitten twice shy.  So im not surprised the NSW gov hassnt gone harder, because they havent had to experience what happened in Vic. All we can do is hope is that what ever they are doing works. But, the more cases, the harder it gets as its more people who you have to hope are properly isolating.

Its not a good sign that this Syd outbreak was started with two people who knew they had symptoms just ignored it and went out anyway

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

That's true, they did get tested and passed with the Ruby Princess debacle that was potentially far more explosive than our quarantine debacle. No contact tracing service can cope with more than 40 community transmission investigations a day, the State will be shut down if it approaches this level. We now have a contact tracing service that, in Melbourne at least, is as good and arguably better than NSW. The border is now shut anyway, as it should be

42 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

So... 

Are Brisbane better than we thought? 

Was this a better result than we felt initially? 

And are Victory really, delightfully crap again? 

No, anybody who watched our Brisbane game knows that they are a dangerous side. We could have easily lost if they had their eye on goal, which tonight they had.

so yes, our away win was excellent.

I would love to see Victory struggling again this season but with their new players coming and settling  in, they can still be a team to consider (this McMamanan looked good).

• Like 1

I think Brisbane are decent, once they took of DJ joey C and moved the Japanese import to the wing and O'Shea to #10 they controlled the ball and pressed Victory into turnovers. If they continue with a front 4 that can really press and a no nonsense defence they'll pick up a lot of points. 

12 hours ago, Mr MO said:

No, anybody who watched our Brisbane game knows that they are a dangerous side. We could have easily lost if they had their eye on goal, which tonight they had.

so yes, our away win was excellent.

I would love to see Victory struggling again this season but with their new players coming and settling  in, they can still be a team to consider (this McMamanan looked good).

I don't think you can ever write Victory off. As they showed by winning the Championship from 4th.

Just from the pictures it didn't look as though there was too much attention to "distancing" in the crowd of 8,000+. Does anyone know if they had to go through the same process as we are expected to?

Just now, jw1739 said:

I don't think you can ever write Victory off. As they showed by winning the Championship from 4th.

Just from the pictures it didn't look as though there was too much attention to "distancing" in the crowd of 8,000+. Does anyone know if they had to go through the same process as we are expected to?

I'd assume so, but I'd be worried if our crowd showed so little concern for distancing and mask wearing. Concerned one of these matches will end up being a super spreader event, and then that's the end of crowds for the rest of the season. 

51 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

From what I understand from my mate who is a victory member, they got assigned a row number to sit in and they just had to leave 2 seats between his group of people and the next group. So there could be 6 people sitting next to each other if all from same group, 2 spare seats, then another group