Melbourne Football

Round 6: City v Central Coast Mariners

Hammerhead

Well the main positive that came out of today was melling, means murdocca goes down pecking order further surely

Yes, surely Melling should start next week.

With Mooy back Bela I can see Melling on the bench if Miller stays on.

Which wouldn't be bad for him. He has a lot of energy and drive that can be used in that final 20/30 minutes

take out the 2 long range strikes from CCM and our 5 glorious chances spooned, we were very dominant and was quite a positive display

We were good for long periods today

3 very good saves from reddy (Williams, Hoffman and melling) and 2 stuffed opportunities (Williams and Marino) cost us

Although it was a very good goal, still dunno why melling charged at first free kick meaning it came forward the 10 yards. He probly doesn't score from the first one. Its only a little thing but it does cost us

Edited by neio

take out the 2 long range strikes from CCM and our 5 glorious chances spooned, we were very dominant and was quite a positive display

We were good for long periods today

3 very good saves from reddy (Williams, Hoffman and melling) and 2 stuffed opportunities (Williams and Marino) cost us

Although it was a very good goal, still dunno why smelling charged at first free kick meaning it came forward the 10 yards. He probly doesn't score from the first one. Its only a little thing but it does cost us

He thought the Mariners player touched the ball before the kick which I thought I saw as well.

got to take the positives played great for the first 70 mins should of been 3,4 nil up, shit house last 15 mins, shit refereing gave them the first goal im not quite sure why it was another free and then the last goal was school boy stuff, should of hoofed the ball (didnt JA teach them all that) half way up the feild. oh well at least city are still reconising our history :)

got to take the positives played great for the first 70 mins should of been 3,4 nil up, shit house last 15 mins, shit refereing gave them the first goal im not quite sure why it was another free and then the last goal was school boy stuff, should of hoofed the ball (didnt JA teach them all that) half way up the feild. oh well at least city are still reconising our history :)

The second free kick was for encroachment, melling ran straight over the magic spray line to block

It's annoying it happened to us but it's a free that needs to be given more when it happens

Edited by neio

Not much that's new to add. Agree with those saying that the end of that game was really messed up. As I said pre-match, there was a concern that the team would do a 'Melbourne Heart' by fading out as the match wore on, and sadly that came to pass. 

The pattern of play was encouraging. In City's favour, 12 shots to 2 in the 1st half, and about 22 shot to 8 over the full game. We continue to profit from set-pieces, with Duff providing good service and Paartalu scoring a good header. But we need the points, so ATM the performance isn't too consoling.

The team should have claimed 3 points on the back of that performance because: 

1) The game should have been dead by second half injury time. The team had enough good chances to finish the game, such as: Hoffman in the box in the first half, David Williams with a vintage blast over the crossbar and Marino had a good chance as well. And sadly right now the team needs to score about 3 goals to make a game safe, and were unable to convert enough chances.

2.) The team should be able to withstand 3 to 5 minutes of token final attacks from an opposition team, but somehow, with City not clearing the ball and just being generally unimpressive in defence, the Mariners were able to somehow conjure up a goal. Simply agony, the team's lack of resilience in the final minutes.

It is a good point that Melbourne City put in today's dominant performance without the team's 3 best players: Robert Koren, Joshua Kennedy and Aaron Mooy. So, with a performance like that despite those players being out, one could say that the outlook for the season is fairly good, however that's cold comfort today.

Another thing I'd note is that Duff is back to his sublime best, and he is a wonderful asset to the team. Also, Paartalu is now running out 90 minutes and is able to put in a solid performance (and even get on the score-sheet). And I thought Melling put in a very good and energetic performance (if 3 of Koren, Mooy, Paartalu and Melling comprise our midfield, our midfield will be much better than in past seasons IMO). Those are 3 real useful players that we didn't have last season.

All up though, 2 points that got away. Hopefully the team has a long and hard look at itself, and improves in at least 1 of the 2 areas mentioned above, so in future games the team can secure maximum points.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 2

I am always optimistic going into a match but my head was claiming a 0-0 draw. I expected CCM to just park the bus and MelbCity not able to breaj through. Instead CCM played a more open game and MelbCity were able to score. At half time I knew that a 2-0 lead is never enough for this club and all those missed shots were simultaneously encouraging (we are attacking and creating chances) and distressing because I know the team will just fold whilst the opposition will get their tails up. And thus it came to pass.

So now I comfort myself with the fact that Melling is showing a lot of promise. Yes he is a bit rough along the edges, broke the line which led to a goal, and should have kept running to receive the pass from Duff. But he will earn from this and with good coaching should progress. If Mooy, and Murdocca do return to the team I hope that he still gets nominated on the bench and gets some game time and right now I would have him ahead of Retre.

The second factor to console me is that the club has scored in every game this season. In three matches MelbCity has scored two or more goals. This did not happen last season and so I can hold onto my optimism. The negatives have so far been well documented on this and other threads.

3 minutes of extra time shown by the fourth official yet the Hutchinson goal was listed as 94th minute.

No substitutes or injuries to justify the extra minute of extra time IMHO so why did the game go even close to 94 is beyond me.

The rookie referee (yes it was his FIRST ever A-League game) didn't have a good one with two dubious decisions that led to both Mariners goals.

3 minutes of extra time shown by the fourth official yet the Hutchinson goal was listed as 94th minute.

No substitutes or injuries to justify the extra minute of extra time IMHO so why did the game go even close to 94 is beyond me.

The rookie referee (yes it was his FIRST ever A-League game) didn't have a good one with two dubious decisions that led to both Mariners goals.

Who cares about the referee?

We had more then ample opportunity to kill the game off, we're the ones at fault here.

• Like 2

Just home and gutted. Chances to bury the game and a soft goal at the end with ref, time and naivety working against us.

Positives were Melling and Miller in midfield - both strong on the ball after both had a shaky first five minutes. Melling has aggression and strength which we've sorely missed. I can't see Murdocca reclaiming his spot any time soon. Liked what Marino offers over Williams bar the obvious miss (but at least on target!). Better positioning, touch and smarts and he should start in front of Willo next week. Paartalu looked fitter and generally solid positioning. And Redmayne is growing in confidence.

Three things shit me though.

Williams - fucking at least get the ball on target!

JVS what was your strategy for the last 10 minutes?? CCM obviously pushing up and finished with a 4-2-4 with an obvious overload. I still don't know the solution or plan? Putting Retre on for Melling was just bad. I don't care how tired Melling was, he had a physical presence that kept them guessing, watching for heavy challenges and created turnovers. Retre ran around like a headless chook much like last week as an AM. Do you think maybe changing the shape and covering would have hurt? And with a back four man on man with a front four, would an extra defender hurt? Drop Archibald in and defend better. It smacked of a manager that couldn't adjust to change a strategy - a Wengeresque stubbornness to not kill a game but try and create beautiful football. Sometimes you have to win ugly.

And Paddy K had a shocker. Touch poor, distribution ordinary, going to ground in the box a couple of times - luckily no smarts from CCM to dive- and can you, as the tallest plyayer, organise a wall with you in it? Miller and Melling are a fair bit shorter and Melling less experience. Show some smarts.

Edited by Defibrillator
  • Like 2

I dont know how i forgot to mention this, but these fucking back passes when we're in positions where we can play it forward is driving me, as well as all who sit near me, insane. I do not understand why the fuck we continually pass the ball backwards and side-to-side, it is so fucking negative and so dull and boring to watch, its fucking disgusting. Shit brand of football we play, compared to the top sides in the league, which is why we will never do nor win anything anytime soon. 

+ WE DO NOT HAVE THE QUALITY OF PLAYERS TO PLAY A FANCY POSSESSION GAME. We're technically inferior compared to other sides, and our players are average at best, and majority should be doing their time in the NPL (or State Leagues for some).

Edited by Victards

Just home and gutted. Chances to bury the game and a soft goal at the end with ref, time and naivety working against us.

Positives were Melling and Miller in midfield - both strong on the ball after both had a shaky first five minutes. Melling has aggression and strength which we've sorely missed. I can't see Murdocca reclaiming his spot any time soon. Liked what Marino offers over Williams bar the obvious miss (but at least on target!). Better positioning, touch and smarts and he should start in front of Willo next week. Paartalu looked fitter and generally solid positioning. And Redmayne is growing in confidence.

Three things shit me though.

Williams - fucking at least get the ball on target!

JVS what was your strategy for the last 10 minutes?? CCM obviously pushing up and finished with a 4-2-4 with an obvious overload. I still don't know the solution or plan? Putting Retre on for Melling was just bad. I don't care how tired Melling was, he had a physical presence that kept them guessing, watching for heavy challenges and created turnovers. Retre ran around like a headless chook much like last week as an AM. Do you think maybe changing the shape and covering would have hurt? And with a back four man on man with a front four, would an extra defender hurt? Drop Archibald in and defend better. It smacked of a manager that couldn't adjust to change a strategy - a Wengeresque stubbornness to not kill a game but try and create beautiful football. Sometimes you have to win ugly.

And Paddy K had a shocker. Touch poor, distribution ordinary, going to ground in the box a couple of times - luckily no smarts from CCM to dive- and can you, as the tallest plyayer, organise a wall with you in it? Miller and Melling are a fair bit shorter and Melling less experience. Show some smarts.

Defib, top post. You've said everything I wanted to say. JvS, Williams and Kisnorbo should be ashamed of themselves. Kisnorbo persistently and deliberately ignored countless options to get the ball moving along the right wing - even had JvS out of his seat yelling at him. Shameful exhibition from our so-called captain.

Edited by jw1739

where have i seen this before ????

pretty much the last 4 and 1/2 years

Serious we had enough chance to have scored 6

As others said , once CCM scored, we sat back and I sensed another one coming

Ramsay again a shocker

his man got his cross in every time he took him on

I did not see one blocked cross from him, or a successful tackle against his opposing player ( in our final third)

If an old has been hacker like me can see that , what are our coaching staff doing

Melling had moments, but is not up to A league fitness, he ran out of puff early , but managed to coast through till he was taken off

SOS... yet again

Honestly, the last 10min were looking like a train wreck just waiting to happen. Agree with comments that the switch from Melling to Retre was baffling. Retre has looked shaky in recent games and then JVS brings him on just when we needed absolute steadiness and resolve. Go figure.

Kisnorbo has to be replaced and so what if he is the nominated captain. JVS ripped the captaincy off Colosimo. Today Paddy showed little defensive leadership or nous when it really mattered and his main weapon is the "pass back."

I am really gutted from this result. JVS should take full responsibility for this one. 2 goals up at home against a rubbish CCM, and then to only get a draw. Really really bad management.

Why did he not bring on a defender towards the end? Why did we not push up and try and hold onto the ball? Why was Retre brought on?

Should have won 4 nil FFS.

The crowd was massively deflated and in disbelief at the end of the match. It will be hard for all involved to bounce back from this game.

• Like 1

I've seen enough, jvs has to go, 1 win in what our last 12?

it's a disgrace that we need to score 3 to even look like we're going to be safe and win

never play ramsey at lb again, no positional awareness as he found himself chasing back sim multiple times and always got beat in 1v1's

standard williams

so many times we have the chance to play in that final through ball and instead we look around for a safer pass and the chance is gone

ccm are the fucking worst team in the league with probly the worst coach and we couldn't beat the spastics with them being in a rough patch