Melbourne Football

R5 Brisbane Roar vs City Saturday 8th November 7:30pm

GreenSeater

Finally watched game

Ohh get in

Very good win, away from home I'll take any win

I didn't think we had a bad player, even Ramsay was sort of competent

Serious question when mate got the yellow, hill and Slater were saying lucky not to be a red. If it was a red what happens as he is already off, do we get to choose who comes off or what? Never seen it happen before

If Mate got a red while on the bench he would miss the next game. The 11 players stay on the pitch as they did nothing wrong.

I think that Villa wasn't with us for long enough for the team to work out how to play alongside him. He's on another level and demands the ball quickly, precisely and first time so that defenders don't have the opportunity to gang up on him. Even so he showed that he can turn 1/2 a chance into a goal. Also his presence may have had the effect of some players switching off thinking he'd do the bulk of the work and they'd only be playing a bit part.

Certainly Duga and Willo stepped up, out of the shadow of the Villa experience, and put in good shifts. I reckon that once Koren can get on the pitch our midfield will be much stronger and creative giving Portaloo more confidence and providing a strong link between the back and our attackers. Hopefully a lot more killer passes like the one from Mooy which led to the goal - probably one of the most exciting bits of play I've seen from our lads this season. And then there's the presence of our new target man Jesus. Thank Christ he's coming !

• Like 2

My assessment of where we are at:

JVS began the season with an intent  to play a high pressing game, to get the ball back quickly, to play on the deck, to play out from the keeper to the defenders.

Well it is as obvious as his fake tan that this group of players lack the ability to string 3 passes, lack the touch to play a fast passing game, and even more disturbingly they lack positional awareness.

What this team is suited to is simply a counter attacking game.  Win the ball get, it out to the speedy wingers, cut it back centrally, score, wait for the next chance, and hope we score more than they do.  

Where this game plan fails is when the defensive weaknesses are exploited easily by the likes of Victory and Adelaide, or Williams and Dugandzic don't take their chances  Our back FIVE (Partaluu is included) is close to if not the worst in the league.   Thats when we get smashed.

But this is the best we can do this season with the players we have.

• Like 3

This is what happens when we take our chances. This may be a start of a Williams run of form? Bench all contributed and actually influenced the result. Redmanye did his job. Our flaws still remain, will for this season. Best thing for me was Marino goal.

Have been trudging around fully negative about we're we are at, this 3 points has given slight reprieve next three weeks will show how important this win is. Ever hopeful but no confidence whatsoever.

Yes.  And thats no different to JA's time really.  And no different to when JVS took over.  Its a lottery if we take our chances or not.

Its certain the other team will score.  The only questions is will they score more than us?

JVS began the season with an intent  to play a high pressing game, to get the ball back quickly, to play on the deck, to play out from the keeper to the defenders.

Well it is as obvious as his fake tan that this group of players lack the ability to string 3 passes, lack the touch to play a fast passing game, and even more disturbingly they lack positional awareness.

What this team is suited to is simply a counter attacking game.  Win the ball get, it out to the speedy wingers, cut it back centrally, score, wait for the next chance, and hope we score more than they do.  

Where this game plan fails is when the defensive weaknesses are exploited easily by the likes of Victory and Adelaide, or Williams and Dugandzic don't take their chances  Our back FIVE (Partaluu is included) is close to if not the worst in the league.   Thats when we get smashed.

Well said

Although willo's goal was very well executed I think Matte's shot was a simple straight drive at goal. Lucky for him it went very low while young was unfortunate to be elevated just enough for the ball to get under him.

Matte could have blasted it straight at the gk.

My point is it wasn't placed however I'm happy to give him credit for being in the right spot to make a great run at goal. Thank god it went in.

Marino should just play at front from now on. Put him under pressure and see how he copes.

What have we got to lose, his goal was what he needed at this stage of his development.

Great to get 3 points and shake the monkey off our back.

JVS began the season with an intent to play a high pressing game, to get the ball back quickly, to play on the deck, to play out from the keeper to the defenders.

What this team is suited to is simply a counter attacking game. Win the ball get, it out to the speedy wingers, cut it back centrally, score, wait for the next chance, and hope we score more than they do.

Where this game plan fails is when the defensive weaknesses are exploited easily by the likes of Victory and Adelaide, or Williams and Dugandzic don't take their chances Our back FIVE (Partaluu is included) is close to if not the worst in the league. Thats when we get smashed.

Well said

Although willo's goal was very well executed I think Matte's shot was a simple straight drive at goal. Lucky for him it went very low while young was unfortunate to be elevated just enough for the ball to get under him.

My point is it wasn't placed however I'm happy to give him credit for being in the right spot to make a great run at goal. Thank god it went in.

Marino should just play at front from now on. Put him under pressure and see how he copes.

What have we got to lose, his goal was what he needed at this stage of his development.

Great to get 3 points and shake the monkey off our back. Willo's shot was good, but mate's touch before he passed it was heavy and was lucky that north was having a shocker. Willos first touch wasn't great either.

If you watch mate's goal, he almost did blast it at the keeper. Young is just a hunk of shit. But mate's control leadimg up to the goal was all class

Edited by Tonyboozeadams

This is what happens when we take our chances. This may be a start of a Williams run of form? Bench all contributed and actually influenced the result. Redmanye did his job. Our flaws still remain, will for this season. Best thing for me was Marino goal.

Have been trudging around fully negative about we're we are at, this 3 points has given slight reprieve next three weeks will show how important this win is. Ever hopeful but no confidence whatsoever.

Yes.  And thats no different to JA's time really.  And no different to when JVS took over.  Its a lottery if we take our chances or not.

Its certain the other team will score.  The only questions is will they score more than us?

Its the sport, in a nutshell.

Its why guys who consistently put the ball in the back of the net are most valuable - and what they do for 90% of the other time is irrelevant. You only have problems once your scoring dries up etc.

And scoring changes a sport like few other sports - a goal totally changes the way teams organise themselves and structure up. We went a goal up against victory - then they got an offside goal. If we could have scored than 2nd instead of the offside goal against - that game easily can go in a different direction.

Its the sport, in a nutshell.

Its why guys who consistently put the ball in the back of the net are most valuable - and what they do for 90% of the other time is irrelevant. You only have problems once your scoring dries up etc.

And scoring changes a sport like few other sports - a goal totally changes the way teams organise themselves and structure up. We went a goal up against victory - then they got an offside goal. If we could have scored than 2nd instead of the offside goal against - that game easily can go in a different direction.

No argument there.

Under JA-and already a few times this season- the two players who scored last night-kept missing.  Its a flip of the coin if we win like last night, or lose like in the derby because not even Williams or Dugandzic know what they'll do even if they were given the identical chance.

Its probably me, but i can't see that as being Championship winning.

That was awesome. Real nice to win a match eh:)

Brisbane were very average, for such a clean and crisp side their passing and positioning were both very poor and Jamie Young is shite. I like the ref we had, he is one of the least worse ref's in the league, although there were a fe fouls against us where I thought we won the ball and shouldn't have been penalised. I did enjoy his block on Broich although I think Hoffman would have reached the ball at the same time as him anyway so it wouldn't have been the clean shot the Roar fans claimed it was destined to be.

As for our side it was great to see a much improved performance and unlike most other weeks a determination to win. Our players looked hungry for once and worked hard to pressure and create options, and for once took our chances.

I'm assuming Garuccio was injured and not dropped from the squad completely, although Mauk's continued omission is baffling.

Mooy was clearly our best. He has so many tricks, plays the ball beautifully to our advantage and works hard defensively. He was awesome and deserved that goal at the end.

That was a welcome return to form from Redmayne and shows that he is good enough. He made some great saves, distributed well and was not at all at fault for their goal.

Our defence was decent, I though Wielart and Kisnorbo were both very solid, Hoffman was decent on Broich, although he did get burned a couple of times. Ramsay wasn't a liability which was nice although the hardly used his side which was idiotic on their behalf.

Paartalu still seems off, but hopefully he will start improving soon. Retre was disappointing, he is the opposite of Mooy in that he has no tricks and his skills are average.

Dugandzic was dangerous which was great to see, Williams worked hard to pressure and took his goal well and Duff was quieter than usual but still pretty decent.

The subs were all positive and well timed, Melling was a massive improvement on Retre and was much more physical than I expected, I would like him to start next week. Marino took his goal well and was lively when involved in the play, I was very happy with him. And Brown was the one I was most pleased about. I thought he used the ball well and his assist was lovely, but it was his determination to win the ball back when we lost possession which was most impressive. looked like he was challenged and responded accordingly.

Really enjoyable Saturday night:)

• Like 1

Villa is used to having Atletico Madrid, Barcelona and Spanish midfield and defence behind him, so there was no way he was going to work defensively and was always going to play a far more isolated role. Ramsay is a pretty large step down from Jordi Alba  :lol: Hence why I think it probably worked better with out him.

Tbh can understand the criticism of Paartalu, but in all honesty I wouldn't replace him with anyone. I don't think Melling has the experience yet to protect Weilart and Kisnorbo, and if our centre backs get exposed our whole back four will be fucked. I don't care if he doesn't run as long as he just stands in front of the defence, but then again there were times when he couldn't even manage that :unsure:

Considering our strong first halves, keep Marino as a super sub, keep that energy for when the opposition is tired, tell Willo he has a half to earn his pay check, maybe that'll get him going.

And if Mulvey had half a brain and started Henrique out on the right against Ramsay I think the score line would be quite different

Chris Beath should stay as a fucking 4th official as well

Edited by CB.

Was very relieved that we finally got a win ... and an away win is defintely worth celebrating.

Here are my views on how we managed the win:

1. We started sharply and took our chances, although Mate's goal probably should have been saved by the Roar keeper

2. Brisbane attacked us through the midfield, rather than counter attacking us and trying to isolate our full backs.

3. No Murdocca in midfield with his usual bulk of meanigless possession - I reckon opposition teams often let him get the ball

4. Mooy was on fire - his pass that set up the 3rd goal was world class

5. Redders easily had his best ever game, ever, in his life

6. Brisbane is massively down on confidence at the moment and were really bad at times

7. No Villa related pressure - it was obvious that the guy was too good for our team and the expectation of being able to play the ball to him was just too much for some of our guys - if he comes back, we should play him off the bench

8. Our substitutions were effective - Melling looked good - he's a strong lad and hopefully he continues to develop into a genuine first team option

JVS / JD will be feeling very relieved ... a home win against CCM is essential, however, without Mooy we will potentially struggle to create many chances. Hopefully Duff can step up and make us some chances.

• Like 1

this game made me realise that we havnt been defending badly as a team as a whole (besides the derby)... just costly simply errors had let us down previously, and we looked to have eradicated these for now as u saw players like ramsay taking absolutley no chances and putting the ball into row z every time which was pleasing. Great performance

On Paartalu, like Nate I also believe he is physically underdone after his time in Thailand, and think he will come good a bit later this season once he can not only play 90 minutes, but play for 90 minutes at a high standard. I also believe Paartalu balances the midfield very well, and think it's no coincidence that the team won its first pre-season game against A-League opposition (beating Perth 2-1) when Paartalu featured in that game. He also adds aerial strength to the team, and wins numerous defensive headers, and does the little things well, like when he won the ball back and with a neat 1st time pass got the ball to Mooy in the lead up to City's 3rd goal.

Some positives about the win that shouldn't be understated are that the team held on to a lead, and hence got a fairly comfortable win (compared with a come from behind win), something that we haven't seen enough of, and that the team won, and won well, outside of Melbourne.

The team has vastly improved its away performances, and looks a lot more professional away from AAMI Park. Let it not be forgotten that under Aloisi the team lost 15 and drew 2 matches outside of Melbourne, and never won a single match outside of Melbourne. Now this season the team is actually undefeated outside of Melbourne, with a draw against equal 1st Sydney and of course yesterday's win against last season's Double winning Brisbane Roar. When you compare last season's away game to Brisbane Roar, where the team lost 3-0 and Aloisi called the game 'very positive', said he was 'happy' and stated 'I can't ask any more from my boys, the effort was great', the gulf with yesterday's 3-1 win couldn't be bigger, with the improvements being huge (BTW, in contrast to those infamous JA comments, JVS last week questioned the team, 'we need to have more urgency in the way we play' 'we're not strong enough and professional enough to get a win', and got exactly the right response from the players with this win).

It's a bit interesting that some are questioning yesterday's style of play. Before yesterday's match there were calls for tactical flexibility, and after the team adapted its tactics in a way that effectively exploited Brisbane's weaknesses (at a time when results were so much more important than performances BTW) there's criticism. 

The team actually followed half of the aspired to style of play yesterday, with City consistently being pro-active defensively and pressing Brisbane in their own half, especially at 2-1 and after the 3 subs were made, and that tactic was key to Melbourne City winning the game. The half that was missing, a majority of possession, I expect the team to show more often than not in A-League games, beginning next week against CCM.

I also especially agree with the comment above that Melbourne City has been defending well as a team, as seen IMO clearest in the 1st half against Sydney, and yesterday (when Villa wasn't in the team). The team just looks a lot more organised and switched on defensively than in times past. It's been one-on-ones, individual defensive mistakes, that have been what's really hurt us defensively, and if there's ongoing issues with individual defensive mistakes than that suggests there's more of a personnel problem than a tactical problem.

Anyway, ultimately it's about building on that performance and result, and I think yesterday's win is an excellent platform to build on. Nearly all of the team can rightly go into next week's match against CCM with their heads up, and I think there's now a chance a handful of players could show a rich rein of form (I think the team's got a lot of 'confidence players' that need something to get pumped up to play at their best). Melbourne City matched up very well against CCM in pre-season, and IMO CCM at home right now is the ideal next match for Melbourne City to build on yesterday's success. Onwards and upwards!

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 3

Yeah, it's funny how we take the piss out of anyone who says we were unlucky after a loss, but now we're saying that we got lucky after a win!

Indeed.  When people say "there's no luck, you get what you deserve", i think this is true of seasons, but not of individual matches.  it might be true in other codes, but not in football, when its often just a goal or 2 in it.

Things definitely went our way last night, but they haven't on a few other matches, so it evens out.  The main thing is the 3 points and the confidence boost it should give the lads.  

On Paartalu, like Nate I also believe he is physically underdone after his time in Thailand, and think he will come good a bit later this season once he can not only play 90 minutes, but play for 90 minutes at a high standard. I also believe Paartalu balances the midfield very well, and think it's no coincidence that the team won its first pre-season game against A-League opposition (beating Perth 2-1) when Paartalu featured in that game. He also adds aerial strength to the team, and wins numerous defensive headers, and does the little things well, like when he won the ball back and with a neat 1st time pass got the ball to Mooy in the lead up to City's 3rd goal.

Some positives about the win that shouldn't be understated are that the team held on to a lead, and hence got a fairly comfortable win (compared with a come from behind win), something that we haven't seen enough of, and that the team won, and won well, outside of Melbourne.

The team has vastly improved its away performances, and looks a lot more professional away from AAMI Park. Let it not be forgotten that under Aloisi the team lost 15 and drew 2 matches outside of Melbourne, and never won a single match outside of Melbourne. Now this season the team is actually undefeated outside of Melbourne, with a draw against equal 1st Sydney and of course yesterday's win against last season's Double winning Brisbane Roar. When you compare last season's away game to Brisbane Roar, where the team lost 3-0 and Aloisi called the game 'very positive', said he was 'happy' and stated 'I can't ask any more from my boys, the effort was great', the gulf with yesterday's 3-1 win couldn't be bigger, with the improvements being huge (BTW, in contrast to those infamous JA comments, JVS last week questioned the team, 'we need to have more urgency in the way we play' 'we're not strong enough and professional enough to get a win', and got exactly the right response from the players with this win).

It's a bit interesting that some are questioning yesterday's style of play. Before yesterday's match there were calls for tactical flexibility, and after the team adapted its tactics in a way that effectively exploited Brisbane's weaknesses (at a time when results were so much more important than performances BTW) there's criticism. 

The team actually followed half of the aspired to style of play yesterday, with City consistently being pro-active defensively and pressing Brisbane in their own half, especially at 2-1 and after the 3 subs were made, and that tactic was key to Melbourne City winning the game. The half that was missing, a majority of possession, I expect the team to show more often than not in A-League games, beginning next week against CCM.

I also especially agree with the comment above that Melbourne City has been defending well as a team, as seen IMO clearest in the 1st half against Sydney, and yesterday (when Villa wasn't in the team). The team just looks a lot more organised and switched on defensively than in times past. It's been one-on-ones, individual defensive mistakes, that have been what's really hurt us defensively, and if there's ongoing issues with individual defensive mistakes than that suggests there's more of a personnel problem than a tactical problem.

Anyway, ultimately it's about building on that performance and result, and I think yesterday's win is an excellent platform to build on. Nearly all of the team can rightly go into next week's match against CCM with their heads up, and I think there's now a chance a handful of players could show a rich rein of form (I think the team's got a lot of 'confidence players' that need something to get pumped up to play at their best). Melbourne City matched up very well against CCM in pre-season, and IMO CCM at home right now is the ideal next match for Melbourne City to build on yesterday's success. Onwards and upwards!

The biggest improvement against Roar was that we looked dangerous in attack.

Before we had plenty of possession, but ddin't look like producing chances nevermind scoring.

I was banging on about getting back to basics and playing a 4-4-2. In a way we did go back to basics but still playing a 4-3-3. By that I mean we didn't try to overplay things and kept it simple. Knocking the ball over the top for our quick guys was a good way of turning their defence and allowing us to push up and regroup.

So I think we played a more percentage game overall Murfy.

As for Paartalu, I think he would be better if he stopped chasing the ball. There was 3 or 4 times he was the most forward of the midfield players. For me as a DM he should always be  behind the other two and ensure his back four is up and in touch with him. This is why I am critical of him. He needs to show more nous in playing the position.

Edited by silva10
  • Like 1

Agree we still played as a 4-3-3 but sat much more shallow so there wasn't as much space for the roar to go in behind us which has been our biggest problem. And jvs used this well where at times we were a tight 4-3-3 and other times we defended high and opened up the 4-3-3 formations. Anyway formations a lot of times overlap. I don't think we will be able to play the "city way" until the majority of our backline is replaced.

JVS began the season with an intent to play a high pressing game, to get the ball back quickly, to play on the deck, to play out from the keeper to the defenders.

What this team is suited to is simply a counter attacking game. Win the ball get, it out to the speedy wingers, cut it back centrally, score, wait for the next chance, and hope we score more than they do.

Where this game plan fails is when the defensive weaknesses are exploited easily by the likes of Victory and Adelaide, or Williams and Dugandzic don't take their chances Our back FIVE (Partaluu is included) is close to if not the worst in the league. Thats when we get smashed.

Well said

Great to get 3 points and shake the monkey off our back. Willo's shot was good, but mate's touch before he passed it was heavy and was lucky that north was having a shocker. Willos first touch wasn't great either.

If you watch mate's goal, he almost did blast it at the keeper. Young is just a hunk of shit. But mate's control leadimg up to the goal was all class

i would have almost said this is the thing right here; we either go for an immediate counter attack or rely on a spot of brilliance.

and the fact we went back to the future with JVS should have been a concern earlier.

the only real defense i'll give JVS here is combo between that (a) he did get so much out of the team last season after returning, (particularly when he came in after half a season), and (b.) the difference a competent long term low key marquee makes.  

Villa did after all come in to sell memberships and shirts; Koren (like Engelaar) came in without the 'big name' side of it.  and (like Engelaar) Koren's injury was in late pre season.

look at Berisha, Janko (current), Ono, Broich, Hernandez (past) over the times they have been marquees.  each of their teams turn to shit when not there. imagine where the tards or Sydney would be now with out their big boys

not meaning to say we have recruited as well as we could have this season, more so i am meaning that marquee players do make a difference and that (as far as i am concerned) the team was did have good reason for expecting Koren to start from round 1 (given how far into preseason Koren made it before injury).

of course, i (like many i suspect) crack the shits that the football / scouting fuck things up that badly that one player makes such a difference (that is we struggle for depth and dont have much going in either fullback spot) but those are for different discussions

Edited by mattyh001

Good win, any win is a good win

actually took chances, but Brisbane's keeper is shite... how he is getting a gig there is worrying

big question is when Mooy goes on international duty, who is going to cover his role ?

Mauk, melling, koren, kalmar.

Ok who out of those four are going to cover his role ie all that he has done this season

I wouldn't think  that any could

If Mauk was the wunderkid he would be in the starting line up, in fact he is too slow for the A League, I saw him up couple of weeks ago in a Youth match, he was very sluggish

Melling, showed a bit of flash in a short cameo , for a whole 90 mins ?

Koren, well another month or so away

Kalmar, turns slower than the Queen Mary

my point who is going to be the box to box, plus ( at the moment ) creative midfielder

Well it's pretty hard to find a direct replacement for any player, especially one that is MOM nearly every game. But considering that Koren is scheduled to be out until December and Mooy, if he is selected to play, will be in the Asian Cup during January means we have a few weeks window of opportunity to get Koren ready by the time he leaves. I too agree that we haven't seen nearly enough of Melling to warrant him starting or that he can play for a full 90 minutes. I don't know enough of the Mauk situation to comment on it, but we do have some very good options there, I believe.

• Like 1

"Jacob Melling (who may want to re-think his neck beard)"

Um excuse me... it's glorious. Article lost all credibility after that notsrs

I just think if he's going to rock the beard he's got to go all in. He's clearly got mane-potential, but his current execution just doesn't live up to it.