Melbourne Football

MVFC v MCFC - The Derby! R3

Baka1

I think you are missing the point. Most posters here acknowledge sadly that heart are gone And won't return. it's the lack of respect from our new owners and new "fans" of the city that is driving a massive wedge into the supporter group. The tactic of Cfg withholding the away Jersey and city fans shouting down heart chants as evident at the derby is nothing short of another tactic to whitewash the MHFC from history and I for one will continue to wear the heart colours if only to annoy these johneey come lately fuckers. I appreciate that mAy seem petty but there's little else I can do.

• Like 1

Here's something that annoys the crap out of me. We should NOT have the navy stripe, it should be a red stripe. As much as I am open to the new direction, this is just an insult. Maybe we need to get a petition going about this. 

There's no point to petitions or rational arguments.  We tried that and were quite simply ignored.

The next step is to fight.  Research what Hull City did and what Cardiff are doing.  Whilst your there have a look at Luton Town's successful revenue strike in regards to Gurney.  Take on CFG, no more "respectful protests" like we did before -they were too easy for the arrogant pricks to ignore.  You will probably need to work on the basis that if you make it too hot for them, they'll go back to whence they came.  Plenty of apologists won't thank you for that.

The big question is do you have the energy for what would be a long drawn out protest campaign, putting up with backsliders (I wanted us to stay red and white but the sky blue jerseys are "mint") and people who ultimately, just want to watch football (with other fans who aren't retarded)?

As you can see I actually gave it some thought, but stepped away.  Ultimately I decided CFG weren't worth the effort.  Hey, they'll probably change their head of marketing in 2 years and then at the drop of a hat they'll sell Sydney City FC (having relocated there) and promote themselves through "Manchester City Water" and "Sky Blue Kebabs" instead.

I think you are missing the point. Most posters here acknowledge sadly that heart are gone And won't return. it's the lack of respect from our new owners and new "fans" of the city that is driving a massive wedge into the supporter group. The tactic of Cfg withholding the away Jersey and city fans shouting down heart chants as evident at the derby is nothing short of another tactic to whitewash the MHFC from history and I for one will continue to wear the heart colours if only to annoy these johneey come lately fuckers. I appreciate that mAy seem petty but there's little else I can do.

No, I am pretty sure I see the point. Writing in other threads that CFG are 'cunts' makes it quite clear to me.

Seriously, as if wearing the red and white Heart gear will get them to change. If you want to make a point to them, rip up your membership of their club (and yes, it is theirs now). Are you prepared to do that?

I'm not so concerned about CFG buying Heart. If you are a student of history there is one constant about colonisation and that is that the colonisers end up being colonised themselves. Look at the UK and India for instance, France and Algeria. In time there'll be as much Heart in Manchester as there is Manchester in Heart. That's why it pays the coloniser to be respectful as the power balance is often subtle and changing.

No, I am pretty sure I see the point. Writing in other threads that CFG are 'cunts' makes it quite clear to me.

Seriously, as if wearing the red and white Heart gear will get them to change. If you want to make a point to them, rip up your membership of their club (and yes, it is theirs now). Are you prepared to do that?

No ...... go back and read my mail again . It's there clearly in black font, Heart are not coming back . Nevertheless, those that are proud of the heart heritage should wear the colours that represent the heart and this city as it's not something GFG want to do. You seem to have a problem with that which . I'm not clear why nor really care why to be honest.

I'm not so concerned about CFG buying Heart. If you are a student of history there is one constant about colonisation and that is that the colonisers end up being colonised themselves. Look at the UK and India for instance, France and Algeria. In time there'll be as much Heart in Manchester as there is Manchester in Heart. That's why it pays the coloniser to be respectful as the power balance is often subtle and changing.

What are you on about? Who has colonised either the Roman or Egiptians? Look as far back even to the Sumarians, they have only been reduced to a single nation (could be argued Iraq) Iran, your argument has no proof.

Even your France Algeria example has no premise, sure it pertains to the 'Rise and fall theory', but nothing suggests what you say is true.

If you are suggesting that an amalgamation of culture is like to anti-colonisation, you need to read some history, it made these empires stronger if anything.

Edit: correcting.

Edited by moops
  • Like 1

You are forecasting that Man City will come last ... You are an evil man.

What are you on about? Who has colonised either the Roman or Egiptians? Look as far back even to the Sumarians, they have only been reduced to a single nation (could be argued Iraq) Iran, your argument has no proof.

Even your France Algeria example has no premise, sure it pertains to the 'Rise and fall theory', but nothing suggests what you say is true.

If you are suggesting that an amalgamation of culture is like to anti-colonisation, you need to read some history, it made these empires stronger if anything.

Well we could have a bit of a history lesson diversion here but the roman Empire is a great example of a coloniser that incorporated elements of many of its colonies into it's own, it even adopted Greek gods and had a large temple of Isis right in the middle of Rome. Then of course there was that minor religion of christianity from the inconsequential colony of Palestine...

Well we could have a bit of a history lesson diversion here but the roman Empire is a great example of a coloniser that incorporated elements of many of its colonies into it's own, it even adopted Greek gods and had a large temple of Isis right in the middle of Rome. Then of course there was that minor religion of christianity from the inconsequential colony of Palestine...

1. Forget the Ancient World - A quick look at Colonialism where we actually live does not do your theory much help.

2. Your theory has nothing to do with Franchise Sporting Teams like MCFC.

I'm fairly confident in the CFG taking this club forward and turning it into a big success. But I understand it will take time, and after 4 seasons of mediocrity and not knowing what to expect next, I guess I can wait a little longer when I can finally see light at the end of the tunnel for once.

I've been a supporter since day one, probably a lot longer than many of you here who are a resistance to this change. This complaining about colours and name etc... is probably near to the point where a decision is made. You either suck it up and get right behind this club and what it's doing, or you can simply stop supporting it.

The sooner you realise CFG will not give in to you, the better. This is an organisation who has won the EPL twice in the past 3 seasons, and has the resources and expertise to grow our crowds and membership numbers to a respectable level. Have a little faith in the transformation.

I've supported the club the past 4 season as much as any of you have and will continue to do so. However, first and foremost I am a supporter of Australian football and the growth of the game I love in this country, and when I look at the benefits CFG will bring and have already brought to help the growth and development of the game, I cannot complain. For those who can't deal with this happening to "their club" then you're probably better off going to support the other team in melbourne.

• Like 3

4 yr supporter, 3 as a GA member, I too am disappointed at some of the things that have been discussed here. However, my kids & I will be there in the red and white Fri night, cause deep down we still love it. For me, the disappointment of losing my VFL team in the 90s has never really waned, and although I'm not happy with everything that's going on I will continue to try and embrace MCFC, if this is at odds with others here, I'm sorry. Maybe a little more recognition of MHFC would also be of benefit.

Unlike others mentioned here, after the events of where we sat on Saturday night, my kids disdain for the tards is stronger than ever, and they understand, there is no middle ground.

• Like 5

If you want to support the team then support whether you wear sky blue or red and white or perhaps a mix of both in which I do. If you want to chant heart with the Melburnians then do it. If people want to chant city over the top then they are stupid but are entitled to do so because guess what that is what we are called and who we now support.

My biggest concern of last season was not the fact that we were not winning games and we had that long losing streak it was that I was uncertain whether our license was going to be sold to a club outside of Victoria. If that was to happen I would have had no one to support (Cause there would have been no chance in hell of me supporting Victory) which I found depressing as I had started to enjoy coming to the soccer and supporting a team from inception. When the City Football Group took over

I was so bloody stoked because not only would we be staying in Melbourne but we would now have the biggest backing in football that money can buy.

Unfortunately it may be a lean year, realistically it won’t happen over night but I know the city group are going to build us into something big. Along the way we are going to have to sacrifice things we have enjoyed or supported in the past but I am confident in 4 to 6 years time every club will envy us. 

• Like 2

If it wasnt for FFA changing the rules at the 11th hour, as Davutovic put it, CFG would have delivered us Frank Lampard and David Villa. Im pretty appreciative for that considering all things

You're appreciative of something that didn't happen?

um yes i am coz they tried to make it happen but it was out of their hands whether or not it could happen. I guess you would never appreciate effort then, if thats your attitude

If you want to support the team then support whether you wear sky blue or red and white or perhaps a mix of both in which I do. If you want to chant heart with the Melburnians then do it. If people want to chant city over the top then they are stupid but are entitled to do so because guess what that is what we are called and who we now support.

here is where the problem lies. They are not 'stupid' for doing that, because as you said that is what we are now called. It may be argued that people are in fact 'stupid' for chanting heart. People don't realise that if you want to have a successful active support area we are going to have to embrace the new, and the more people resist this change, the more the new supporters will despise the history of the club. 

Let's face it, the club will eventually get to a stage in the future where there are actually more 'city' fans than there are 'heart' fans who started out with the club before CFG came in. If people want to keep the history of the club, then there are ways to tastefully incorporate it into this new era - ways that will see it always be apart of the club. Right now this is not the case, and i can eventually see there being a divide in the supporters, which is obviously not good. 

Oh yes, because chanting over the top of others is so "tasteful".

I don't understand this notion about "resisting change" either, as most have in fact accepted that we are City and no longer Heart but once again that isn't the point, it's about being respectful during a difficult transition phase.

• Like 1

Curious what the active area would look like and how it would perform if all those "difficult & unappreciative" old heart supporters moved to north end for 1 game leaving yarra side blue.

Edited by Jestr
  • Like 2

MATCH ANALYSIS: MELBOURNE VICTORY 5-2 MELBOURNE CITY

October 27, 2014

Kate Cohen

Melbourne Victory grabbed early bragging rights over rivals Melbourne City, coming from behind twice to win 5-2 in a fast paced derby on Saturday night. Besart Berisha scored his first hat trick for his new club and Archie Thompson added two more for Victory, while Rob Wielaert and Jason Hoffman scored from set pieces for City.

Teams

Teams1.png

Teams

Victory made just one change from their side that drew 1-1 with Adelaide in Round 2. Scott Galloway came into the side at right back in place of Jason Geria. Besart Berisha, Gui Finkler, Archie Thompson and Kosta Barbarouses continued as the first choice front four in Victory’s 4-2-3-1 formation.

There was also only one change for Melbourne City, who drew 1-1 last week with Newcastle Jets.David Williams was absent from the match day squad, allowing Mate Dugandzic to return to the central striking role. Spanish superstar David Villa started once again on the left wing in a 4-3-3 formation.

Midfield Battle

As is often the case in matches when teams playing a 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 face each other, there was a direct battle in the middle of the park for City and Victory. City’s No.6, Erik Paartalu had a direct opponent in Gui Finkler, Victory’s No.10. Meanwhile Massimo Murdocca and Aaron Mooy were matched with Mark Milligan and Carl Valeri.

The major point of interest was how Finkler looked to nullify Paartalu when Melbourne City had possession of the ball. In City’s first round match against Sydney FC, Graham Arnold made a second half change in direct response to Paartalu’s constant ability to get on the ball. Terry Antonis was moved into a No.10 role to pay close attention to Paartalu when City had possession. This also made Sydney FC more dangerous in attack, with Paartalu struggling defensively after the switch.

In the derby, Finkler’s defensive role made it difficult for Paartalu to get on the ball. When possession was turned over, Finkler was close to Paartalu, who could similarly watch his movements closely. But Finkler was able to move intelligently towards the flanks, to the right in particular where he has struck up a good combination with Barbarouses. Finkler was also able to move in behind, as with Victory’s first goal.

ok8uol.jpg

Example 1

Paartalu stuck very tight to Finkler as he received the ball and forced a turnover. But with the change over of possession, Finkler was able to close down Paartalu, forcing a backwards pass. Victory triggered their press, which resulted in Wielaert’s rushed pass going out of play.

27zxboi.jpg

Example 2

High Tempo First Half

This match got off to a terrific start as both teams pressed high up the pitch. This frantic, end-to-end nature was largely due to how both sides matched up. City’s wingers, Villa and Damien Duff, remained high and wide and stretched Victory’s back line. Villa looked dangerous in the first half when he received the ball to feet and cut inside onto his right foot, dribbling at Galloway while Iain Ramsay overlapped.

But Villa also stayed high and wide when City did not have possession, which made Galloway’s positioning for Victory more conservative than usual. Victory were able to create 2-v-1 situations when Galloway did move forward, and it also allowed Barbarouses to run at and threaten Ramsay, who is not a natural left back.

Some credit for this high tempo derby must also go to referee Strebre Delovski. Often in these kinds of matches, the game can be punctuated by repeated fouling but Delovski allowed the match to flow, regularly playing advantage or allowing free kicks to be taken quickly even if the ball was moving or not in the correct position.

Errors Lead to Goals

The primary focus of any Leopold Method match analysis is the main tactical patterns that occurred within the match, however in this particular match, it was individual errors leading to goals.

As already established, both of Melbourne City’s goals came from set pieces. Victory coach Kevin Muscat said his “players will be burning [that] we’ve conceded off two set pieces.” This comes into particular focus as they have worked hard in the the off-season to develop innovative attacking set pieces.

Victory’s two first half goals – Thompson in the 23rd minute and Berisha’s in the 46th minute – both came as a result of Kosta Barbarouses thriving in 1-v-1 situations on the right. On both occasions, the goals came as a result of poor body positioning from the first defender, who allowed Barbarouses the time and space to angle his run inside.

Victory’s first goal

35ddtaw.jpg

Victory’s first goal, with Barbarouses in a 1-v-1 with Murdocca

Victory’s second goal

2qjc5xy.jpg

Victory’s second goal, with Barbarouses in a 1-v-1 with Ramsay

On both occasions, the first defender was 2-3 metres ahead of the ball and jockeying Barbarouses as he approached. This allowed him the space to come inside and dart into the box or thread a pass through for Finkler.

Barbarouses had played standout roles in the opening two rounds of the season, and clearly the defenders were wary of his pace and dribbling ability and were attempting to slow him down. But by allowing Barbarouses to angle his run towards the middle of the pitch, he was able to stand the defender up and either a dummy or change of pace caused havoc on a number of occasions.

jrww0g.png

A late example of Barbarouses again running 1-on-1 at Ramsay

City coach, John Van’t Schip, also lamented his side’s lapse in concentration at the start of the second half. After winning back possession from the kick off, an ill-timed and ill-positioned one-two saw possession lost again and Hoffman caught out of position. Berisha was able to beat two defenders and fire a deflected shot past Andrew Redmayne in goal.

Conclusion

After going a goal behind, despite twice leading, City were forced to chance the game in the first half. Villa, who stays high up the pitch on the left wing, moved into a central striking role. James Brown was brought on for Mate Dugandzic and moved to the left wing. Van’t Schip said Brown was brought on to prevent Victory from creating overloads on their right side, but Brown’s clumsy foul which resulted in a penalty kick all but ended City’s attempts to get back in the match.

This was a fast paced and enthralling derby. In the end-to-end first half spectacle, City should have taken a lead into half time but defensive errors proved costly. They will be lamenting their inconsistent display.

http://leopoldmethod.com.au/match-analysis-melbourne-victory-5-2-melbourne-city/

More good and spot on analysis.

If it wasnt for FFA changing the rules at the 11th hour, as Davutovic put it, CFG would have delivered us Frank Lampard and David Villa. Im pretty appreciative for that considering all things

You're appreciative of something that didn't happen?

um yes i am coz they tried to make it happen but it was out of their hands whether or not it could happen. I guess you would never appreciate effort then, if thats your attitude

You sir and im not sorry to say it but are an absolute dipshit

Another good read, esp. on the details at the end about the team's shooting:

How Victory came alive to expose City's weaknesses

By Michael Huguenin

29/10/2014

FEATURE: Goal Australia's resident tactics guru Michael Huguenin examines the Melbourne derby in detail to determine where a fascinating clash was won and lost

Melbourne City entered Saturday's derby against Melbourne Victory desperate for three points after two frustrating draws to begin the 2014-15 season. With the news guest player David Villa would be leaving earlier than first expected, City were keen to capitalise on the Spaniard's qualities with a win over their local rivals and build some momentum.

For around 40 minutes, City coach John van 't Schip looked to have produced another tactical masterclass against Victory (he had only lost one of his previous eight derbies) but the Dutchman's side ran out of steam in the second half.

With Guilherme Finkler and Besart Berisha finding more space and Archie Thompson and Kosta Barbarouses working harder without the ball, Victory ripped City apart after half-time to triumph 5-2 and make a big statement about their A-League title credentials.

City swamp Victory's midfield

In the previous round, Adelaide United had gone so close to defeating Victory through their high-pressing style, leaving the likes of Gui Finkler and Mark Milligan without time and space. City mimicked that tactic in the early stages of Saturday's match at Etihad Stadium, effectively swamping Kevin Muscat's side. Aaron Mooy and Massimo Murdocca did a massive amount of work for Van 't Schip, regularly winning the ball back and launching quick counter-attacks through Villa, Damien Duff and Mate Dugandzic.

aujofa.jpg

With lead striker Dugandzic providing extra pressure by dropping into midfield, Finkler, Milligan and Carl Valeri seemed overworked in the first half (see formations above). City also got a lot of joy out of full-backs Iain Ramsay and Jason Hoffman pushing on, as their direct opponents - Barbarouses and Thompson - appeared unwilling to track back. Victory's wide forwards would often ask Milligan or Valeri to cover their full-backs, leaving big gaps in midfield for Mooy and Murdocca to exploit. City's dominance was clear - in the first 17 minutes they had taken five shots, while Victory didn't manage one.

The Big V also helped City's pressing strategy for the majority of the first half by the way they moved the ball and the positioning of Finkler and Berisha. Victory's two central attacking players did not seem keen to drift wide or deep, regularly backing up against Erik Paartalu and Robbie Wielaert respectively, which played into City's hands. Paartalu completed one tackle, two interceptions and four recoveries in the first half and not one was outside the central corridor between the two penalty areas. As Victory got on top in the second half and Finkler drifted more, Paartalu managed just one tackle and three recoveries, with only one on the wings, underlining his unwillingness to leave his post.

Coe remains a concern

Plenty of pre-season discussion about Victory centred on the recruitment of Mathieu Delpierre, Valeri and Daniel Georgievski and how that trio might turn Muscat's team into a strong defensive unit, after the Big V finished the last two campaigns with the second-worst defence behind Wellington Phoenix. But judging by the opening three weeks, Victory remain a work in progress down back, with their run of A-League games without a clean-sheet stretching to 22. 

Against City it was goalkeeper Nathan Coe - a regular target for the more negative of Victory's fans - who copped the majority of criticism. Coe undoubtedly adds a lot to the Big V with his distribution, ability to sweep well outside his box and his close-range shot-stopping, but his work in their air remains a concern.

In the derby, Coe probably should have claimed Mooy's first free-kick that Wielaert headed into the net, while Victory's gloveman definitely shouldn't have left his line when Hoffman put the visitors in front again in the 26th minute. But while Coe undoubtedly needs to work on commanding his defensive area and claiming high balls, Victory also need to reduce their goalkeeper's workload. Coe has faced more shots on target (15) than any other gloveman in the A-League this season.

Floating Finkler and bulldozing Barbarouses sting City

Berisha's goal in the opening minute of first-half stoppage time was crucial to deciding Saturday's derby, as it turned the momentum Victory's way at half-time. Critical to that strike was Finkler's movement and Barbarouses' persistence. As stated above, Paartalu comfortably covered Finkler in the early stages but as soon as the Brazilian playmaker started to take up positions in the spaces wide of either Murdocca or Mooy but ahead of City's full-backs, Victory started to get on top. 

29y8g9.jpg

For Victory's second equaliser (see above), Georgievski's sliced cross-field pass fortuitously fell to an unmarked Finkler and he fed Barbarouses on the right, who bulldozed his way between Villa and Ramsay before going around City captain Patrick Kisnorbo and firing a shot at goal. Andrew Redmayne made the initial save at his near post but could not deny Berisha on the rebound with the Albanian striker notching his 50th A-League goal.

Berisha's second goal just 19 seconds into the second half completed Victory's comeback and put them on the way to claiming three points. But it was the superior work-rate of Thompson and Barbarouses that made a serious difference. In the first half, Muscat's wide forwards only managed eight defensive contributions (tackles, blocks, interceptions, clearances and recoveries) but they made a 50 percent improvement after the break with 12. City also appeared to lack energy in the second half with Paartalu, Mooy and Murdocca combining for 21 defensive contributions before half-time but just 10 afterwards.

Looking ahead

There has been plenty of justifiable excitement about the attacking players at Van 't Schip's disposal this season but the derby reminded everyone that the Dutch coach barely reinforced his defence during the pre-season. While Van 't Schip has been unlucky with injuries - Jonathan Germano and Connor Chapman would add some steel to City's back four - the reality is he is relying upon most of the group that conceded over 1.5 goals per game in 2013-14. City does not have a top-line goalkeeper, while converted full-backs Ramsay and Hoffman have yet to convince.

City have three home games in the next four rounds and will need to build some positive feeling soon if they are to leave the lingering memory of Heart behind. Creativity is also a concern for Van 't Schip. With Villa on his way to New York and marquee playmaker Robi Koren injured, City still lack genuine cutting edge in the forward third. They had just three less shots than Victory at Etihad Stadium but while Muscat's men hit the target over 50 percent of the time, City were at 40 percent. It is no surprise Victory are the leading scorers in the A-League this season with 10 goals - they are also the most accurate shooters (67.9 percent) and have the best conversion rate (35.7 percent). City (50 percent accuracy, 16.7 conversion rate) have only scored four goals.

Victory's next test is away to Perth Glory in the FFA Cup on Wednesday night and it will be interesting to see if Kenny Lowe's men attempt to press Melbourne in midfield, as City and Adelaide have done over the past fortnight. But the big question for Muscat and the Big V is 'when will they earn a clean sheet?' Until that happens doubts will remain about their ability to lift silverware in 2014-15.

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/5593/tactical-triangles/2014/10/29/5585501/how-victory-came-alive-to-expose-citys-weaknesses

Petition all you want. I think its gotten to the point where it's their way or the highway.

Take your pick.

umm you should see what happens if everyone started protesting or boycotting games, just look at our neighbours they got what they wanted after the measures were placed on them.......bad publicity for the club is bad for owners and its going to look shit for their investment and their image.

there is no such thing as their own way when we have the power to change their view, if we all really wanted to its just everyone is lying down at the moment and not doing a thing about it!

Edited by elieanid

Elieanid, your passion is to be commended ... the reality however, is that the collective majority does not have the desire to try and force a branding reversion.

CFG will point to all the things they have done to be respectful of Melbourne Heart and the past in terms of the logo and the away kit. They will also point to the facts that we have over 10,000 members and that our home strip merchandise has sold out faster than it can be produced.

My advice to you is to wear your old Heart gear, buy the away top when it is finally released, enjoy supporting the club along with the long suffering fans who have been there from the start, and any newbies who have jumped on as a result of the rebrand ... and I guess be cognisant of the fact that despite all the drama, supporting Melbourne City FC is still a million times better than following the tards, and that will never change.

Edited by Torn Asunder
  • Like 4

Petition all you want. I think its gotten to the point where it's their way or the highway.

Take your pick.

umm you should see what happens if everyone started protesting or boycotting games, just look at our neighbours they got what they wanted after the measures were placed on them.......bad publicity for the club is bad for owners and its going to look shit for their investment and their image.

there is no such thing as their own way when we have the power to change their view, if we all really wanted to its just everyone is lying down at the moment and not doing a thing about it!

Not gonna happen. Even if we had the numbers that the cunts have. And the Unity that they don't have.

Edited by Deviant

Elieanid, your passion is to be commended ... the reality however, is that the collective majority does not have the desire to try and force a branding reversion.

CFG will point to all the things they have done to be respectful of Melbourne Heart and the past in terms of the logo and the away kit. They will also point to the facts that we have over 10,000 members and that our home strip merchandise has sold out faster than it can be produced.

My advice to you is to wear your old Heart gear, buy the away top when it is finally released, enjoy supporting the club along with the long suffering fans who have been there from the start, and any newbies who have jumped on as a result of the rebrand ... and I guess be cognisant of the fact that despite all the drama, supporting Melbourne City FC is still infinitesimally better than following the tards, and that will never change.

I think you mean "infinitely"...and as long as you do, well said!

It's largely gone unnoticed, but another mark of respect for the old Heart is the fact that Peter Sidwell and his board have been made life members of City.

• Like 1