Melbourne Football

Robert Koren (confirmed by club as released)

Jimmy

Been a supporter of his from the start.

Agree with Tesla that when he is surrounded by quality, he can pull the strings. No doubt. I noticed last year that he was beginning to gel nicely with Duff only until he got injured.

The only worry i have with him though is that when the going gets tough, he doesnt seem able to lift..

...but i guess that's where Mooy comes in....

Been a supporter of his from the start.

Agree with Tesla that when he is surrounded by quality, he can pull the strings. No doubt. I noticed last year that he was beginning to gel nicely with Duff only until he got injured.

The only worry i have with him though is that when the going gets tough, he doesnt seem able to lift..

...but i guess that's where Mooy comes in....

the guy has been a lot better this year, but he really disappointed me last night. When we are playing a good side and we don't have the ball, it needs to be all hands to the wheel, but he just doesn't seem to get the concept. Very poor.

Wouldnt be surprised to see Koren shipped off in January and we get in Lampard or Pirlo for a guest stint 

Rumour has it we'll be getting Villa on a guest stint because Pirlo and Lampard will be given a rest since they went from finishing playing at their respective European Leagues straight into the MLS season whereas Villa had a massive break after the World Cup only participating in 4 training sessions whilst holidaying in Melbourne.

Rumour has it we'll be getting Villa on a guest stint because Pirlo and Lampard will be given a rest since they went from finishing playing at their respective European Leagues straight into the MLS season whereas Villa had a massive break after the World Cup only participating in 4 training sessions whilst holidaying in Melbourne.

Green line for you

Probably been said but funny how the game changed in our favour once koren was subbed, kewell brought me more joy than this cunt.

The game did change then but it wasn't just because of Koren coming off. Yeah he was definitely shit on the night, but that sub happened when the score went 2-0.

To that point, Mooy was sitting deeper helping out Paartalu, who again was frail. I think that as soon as the score went 2-0, Mooy said 'fuk this, I need to push forward and attack - no point in staying back at 2-0'.

So Mooy pushes forward with a more attacking mindset, has a more willing player alongside in Mauk to help out plus some added zip of the wings - and the game changes.

So imo, it's not a result of Koren being subbed, it was a result of the score going 2-0 down and Mooy recognising that we weren't just going to die without a whimper.

I so can't wait for Melling to come back and hopefully take Paartalu's spot. That midfield will instantly ping because it will no longer be just one player out of 3 in the midfield busting their gut.

Tesla I really enjoy your posts but in Koren's case your wrong.

Last season he was terrible so far this season he's looked more willing but still pretty average. Last Saturday was his opportunity to prove his status but in a big game he failed. 

Hopefully we have more big games this season but frankly for whatever reason he is not good enough. 

For me now he can be placed in the Williams section. Come off the bench and maybe make an impact. If he proves over a period he's worthy to start then start him.

Big issue is I don't think JVS has the balls to do it.

Tesla I really enjoy your posts but in Koren's case your wrong.

Last season he was terrible so far this season he's looked more willing but still pretty average. Last Saturday was his opportunity to prove his status but in a big game he failed. 

Hopefully we have more big games this season but frankly for whatever reason he is not good enough. 

For me now he can be placed in the Williams section. Come off the bench and maybe make an impact. If he proves over a period he's worthy to start then start him.

Big issue is I don't think JVS has the balls to do it.

I think as the pressure grows on JVS he will start to drag under performing players, marquee or not. Already the other night he pulled two 'starting eleven' players in Koren and Zullo because they weren't performing. 

Just back on Koren he is more than capable of playing Championship but he doesn't suit his role in this league. Unless he shows he can make the impact his marquee status suggest he should, I'm hoping the coaching staff are already weighing up alternative options over the January transfer period. 

Edited by n i k o

The game did change then but it wasn't just because of Koren coming off. Yeah he was definitely shit on the night, but that sub happened when the score went 2-0.

To that point, Mooy was sitting deeper helping out Paartalu, who again was frail. I think that as soon as the score went 2-0, Mooy said 'fuk this, I need to push forward and attack - no point in staying back at 2-0'.

So Mooy pushes forward with a more attacking mindset, has a more willing player alongside in Mauk to help out plus some added zip of the wings - and the game changes.

So imo, it's not a result of Koren being subbed, it was a result of the score going 2-0 down and Mooy recognising that we weren't just going to die without a whimper.

I so can't wait for Melling to come back and hopefully take Paartalu's spot. That midfield will instantly ping because it will no longer be just one player out of 3 in the midfield busting their gut.

Mooy is certainly a big part of the explanation for the comeback.

But at the same time, Koren's replacement Mauk did produce an assist for the first goal, and did score the second goal. There's no way Koren would have made that aggressive forward run into the box for the second goal (he prefers to loaf around on the edge of the box), so replacing Koren with a proper attacking midfielder, who also was energetic, was as big a part of the explanation for the comeback as Mooy's second half performance IMO.

The thing that really disappoints me about Koren is not exactly his lack of quality, but more his lack of leadership. He's an experienced international marquee, he should be stepping up in big games like the Melbourne Derby, but time after time after time he's completely anonymous in these big matches. Instead he'll play well against weaker opponents, like with his starting debut hattrick against the pathetic Newcastle Jets last season, and his decent performance with two assists for Mooy in the FFA Cup against Heidelberg.

Koren can seemingly perform when the pressure is off, the opposition defending is weak and space is plentiful, but he can't perform on the big stage when we need him to, and a 20 year old like Mauk can. I reckon Koren will lift this season and do damage against weaker A-League teams, but it won't make up for how massively disappointing he's been when we've really needed him.

IMO Robi Koren has been part of the learning process that CFG is going through with the A-League, and they are going to keep refining their approach with each season. They've made a big effort to retain Aaron Mooy, and succeeded, and in Tuna they've brought in the sort of player who flourishes in our fast and physical league - solid build, industrious and plays for the shirt. Koren is not that type of player and IMO we will be saying farewell to him at the end of the season.

I'm sure we'll have another visa marquee next season and I very much doubt that it will be another "luxury" player.

The thing that really disappoints me about Koren is not exactly his lack of quality, but more his lack of leadership. He's an experienced international marquee, he should be stepping up in big games like the Melbourne Derby, but time after time after time he's completely anonymous in these big matches. 

Makes you wonder how he was captain for Slovenia at a World Cup. They must have all been sheep.

IMO whatever is said on here we won't see Robi Koren's contract terminated early. A new marquee player now, Australian or visa, will be a "parachute" player rather than a genuine marquee, and is just as likely to fail in the same way as Koren has so far. I don't believe it's the CFG way to throw away money on contract pay-outs.

I'm sure that City's administration and players have been given their minimum objectives for 2015-16. It's possible that we've achieved one minimum by getting to the semis of the FFA Cup (although I doubt it), but the fact that JvS took Koren off on Saturday because he was "flat" is a clear indication to me that CFG will not be happy with just one point after the first two rounds. Acknowledging that one point is satisfactory simply because those matches were against Sydney and Victory is tantamount to acknowledging that those teams are better than we are i.e. that the best we can hope for is third, and I'm sure that that will not be satisfactory to CFG.

Similarly IMO van 't Schip will not be terminated early on a whim. If he is terminated it will be at the end of this season and because he has failed to get us to where CFG demand we should be. You don't spend what they've spent and be satisfied with mediocrity.

The appointment of Michael Petrillo didn't raise too much discussion - and discussion belongs in a different thread - but to me signifies that Didulica's position is also up for close scrutiny.