Melbourne Football

The Frank Lampard thread

Parrot

For discussing the temperature outside, Fahrenheit really is the superior to Celsius...not even debatable.

Why?Its a 0 to 100 scale really. 0 being an absolutely miserable cold that the average person wouldn't want to subject themselves to and 100 being a heat that you don't want to be outside in.

You can figure out everything else pretty easily. Saying its 100 degrees outside carries the proper gravitas. You can imagine what 50 degrees feels like, neither hot nor cold.

Compare that to you trying to explain to me the weather in Celsius. Its so random and sounds so low. I get in a lab it works but like I said, for discussing the weather outside, give me Fahrenheit.

Edited by NYCFCFan10

Compare that to you trying to explain to me the weather in Celsius. Its so random and sounds so low. I get in a lab it works but like I said, for discussing the weather outside, give me Fahrenheit.

You're right, I don't think that I could explain the weather to you in Celsius. There is a chance that this may say something about you though, not just my powers of explanation. 38 degrees is pretty damn hot, I'm sure it wouldn't take you more than a day or two to figure that out. 10 degrees is pretty cold and 0 is cold. Below zero is just madness. It isn't too hard.

The problem with the Celsius system is that to was devised by those sensible cheese eating surrender monkeys.

Edited by belaguttman

lol i like you're idea and argument for its unique way. But saying 50F (10c), 5 out of 10, is the ideal comfort level, neither hot or cold is a joke! At least to us Ausssssies anyway, mate. Stupid system.

People like it warm. I didn't say the scale had "ideal" at the center. Only the two extremes at either end. 0 is like -18 in Celsius. 100 is 37.

50 degrees isn't ideal but you won't die in 50 degrees. You won't get frostbite or anything. In the summer, I dread 50 degrees. In the winter when its 0 here (-18), I can't wait for something like 50 degrees again. So that's how you know its right in the middle.

You're right, I don't think that I could explain the weather to you in Celsius. There is a chance that this may say something about you though, not just my powers of explanation. 38 degrees is pretty damn hot, I'm sure it wouldn't take you more than a day or two to figure that out. 10 degrees is pretty cold and 0 is cold. Below zero is just madness. It isn't too hard.

The problem with the Celsius system is that to was devised by those sensible cheese eating surrender monkeys.

My thoughts exactly.

9/10 if Barca or Real want a player from ANY EPL club, they get them. Do they not?

I remember last year chatting with Liverpool fans "Oh no way will we sell Suarez, no way." who wants him? Barca? Oh yeah, he's gone. And he was. Same as Bale. And Ronaldo. And many others.

Even if we weren't a part of City, if we had a player ManCity really wanted, what chance would we have at keeping that player? Not much. So why worry about that? I don't.

Also, how many 90 minute games has Lampard played while traveling around tiny little England in the last 365 days? Not many. How will he cope with traveling across 4 timezones, kickoff temperatures at around 90 degrees in the summer and as low as the teens or 20s in the Fall/Spring? Its a league that substitutes physicality for whatever it lacks in talent. He will be 37 when he gets here.

You're damn right I'm worried.

Yes, because the likes of Hull and Sunderland are able to compete with Real and Barca financially. 

You said 'any' PL club but I assume you are mainly referring to Chelsea, City and United. 

What about Di Maria? Sanchez? Toure? Fabregas? 

Lampard is so far ahead of almost every other player there, whatever he lacks in pace/stamina (which won't be much), he will make up for in skill and vision.

You're complaining about having Lampard and Xavi in your team, in front of Villa?

FFS. 

9/10 if Barca or Real want a player from ANY EPL club, they get them. Do they not?

I remember last year chatting with Liverpool fans "Oh no way will we sell Suarez, no way." who wants him? Barca? Oh yeah, he's gone. And he was. Same as Bale. And Ronaldo. And many others.

Even if we weren't a part of City, if we had a player ManCity really wanted, what chance would we have at keeping that player? Not much. So why worry about that? I don't.

Also, how many 90 minute games has Lampard played while traveling around tiny little England in the last 365 days? Not many. How will he cope with traveling across 4 timezones, kickoff temperatures at around 90 degrees in the summer and as low as the teens or 20s in the Fall/Spring? Its a league that substitutes physicality for whatever it lacks in talent. He will be 37 when he gets here.

You're damn right I'm worried.

Yes, because the likes of Hull and Sunderland are able to compete with Real and Barca financially.

You said 'any' PL club but I assume you are mainly referring to Chelsea, City and United.

What about Di Maria? Sanchez? Toure? Fabregas?

Lampard is so far ahead of almost every other player there, whatever he lacks in pace/stamina (which won't be much), he will make up for in skill and vision.

You're complaining about having Lampard and Xavi in your team, in front of Villa?

FFS. Are you kidding me? They let those guys go for younger players that are just as good if not better.

Toure was sold because Pep liked Basquets more. Sanchez was sold because they were getting Suarez. Similar story with Di Maria being replaced by James Rodriguez....

Its not the same story as when Ronaldo was sold by United or Suarez by Liverpool or Fabregas by Arsenal. They were in their prime or even before their prime.

• Like 1

Your right about the buying power of the 2 Spanish Giants. I know where you are coming from about Lampard but whilst travel, heat & a physical league might be an issue for some imports, like here, the biggest issue is probably still guys who think they are doing their club a favour by slumming it in the league. Can't see that being a problem with Lampard.

Your right about the buying power of the 2 Spanish Giants. I know where you are coming from about Lampard but whilst travel, heat & a physical league might be an issue for some imports, like here, the biggest issue is probably still guys who think they are doing their club a favour by slumming it in the league. Can't see that being a problem with Lampard.

It's all about tax laws in Spain. And the weather. And the life style. And the women. Shit I guess if I was a footballer I'd want to go there too. Why isn't Lampard in Spain!!!! 

Toure was sold because Pep liked Basquets more. Sanchez was sold because they were getting Suarez. Similar story with Di Maria being replaced by James Rodriguez....

Its not the same story as when Ronaldo was sold by United or Suarez by Liverpool or Fabregas by Arsenal. They were in their prime or even before their prime.

Toure left Barcelona and became one of the best and most complete midfielders in the world in his prime. Sanchez left and is now having his best ever season in his prime. Ozil left after a good year at Real in his prime. Fabregas came to Chelsea in his prime and is killing it. Each of these examples point to Real and Barca feeding the top PL clubs. I point these out to restore some balance; spouting shit like PL clubs are just feeders to Real and Barca is ignorant. 

It is a given that Spain is more attractive than England, virtually in every aspect. Real and Barca also pay massive amounts of money. The pull of Real and Barca is very strong and isn't in contention. 

Bringing it back to Lampard - he can destroy your league. The man is a machine. It's cute that you are worried about him, but he will be fine. 

Toure left Barcelona and became one of the best and most complete midfielders in the world in his prime. Sanchez left and is now having his best ever season in his prime. Ozil left after a good year at Real in his prime. Fabregas came to Chelsea in his prime and is killing it. Each of these examples point to Real and Barca feeding the top PL clubs. I point these out to restore some balance; spouting shit like PL clubs are just feeders to Real and Barca is ignorant. 

It is a given that Spain is more attractive than England, virtually in every aspect. Real and Barca also pay massive amounts of money. The pull of Real and Barca is very strong and isn't in contention. 

Bringing it back to Lampard - he can destroy your league. The man is a machine. It's cute that you are worried about him, but he will be fine. 

I think its cute that you think pointing out that the players Real and Barca deem expendable tear up the PL as if that somehow supports your argument.  

Why did Ozil leave Madrid?  In his own words:

It is very important for me that the coach shows faith in me and believes in me,’ Ozil told TF1.

‘I had no doubt that I would stay at Real Madrid when last season came to an end. But then something happened and I no longer had the coach’s trust.

Ouch.  Another discarded player. :( 

Fabregas left because of Rakitic coming in.  Here's what a Chelsea blog had to say before the deal happened:

Earlier today, the 26-year-old [Rakitic] confirmed that he is indeed moving to Barcelona this summer, for a rather small €20m transfer fee at that.  Having now secured a replacement an upgrade, is the Catalan club finally ready to let Fàbregas leave?  Most likely, yes.

http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2014/6/12/5802528/ivan-rakitic-barcelona-cesc-fabregas-chelsea-transfer-dominoes

But feel free to continue to bury your head in the sand about the reality of the situation....

What a pointless arguement. I wanna fight about temperatures again.

This thread has been cold for months, irrespective of the thermometer you use.Well that's where your wrong, becasue 20 degrees celcius is great weather but 20 degrees farenheit is freezing Edited by n i k o

What a pointless arguement. I wanna fight about temperatures again.

This thread has been cold for months, irrespective of the thermometer you use. Well that's where your wrong, becasue 20 degrees celcius is great weather but 20 degrees farenheit is freezing

I think this thread is cool.

• Like 1

I point out those players because they do not conform to your claimed trend. They are some of the best players in the world who happened to leave, for whatever reason, their Spanish clubs and play in England. You seem to think that any player who leaves Real and Barca is discarded.

I'm guessing that's because you hold that Real and Barca always make the right decision in transfers, which is fanciful at best. It must also be because they're the best clubs in the world - certainly a good point to raise but the past decade of performances in, for example, the Champions League show otherwise. 

Milan in 2007, United in 2008, Barca in 2009, Inter in 2010, Barca in 2011, Chelsea in 2012, Bayern in 2013 and Real in 2014 (off the top of my head).

Well done for citing one Chelsea blog. I presume that your aim was to show how one Chelsea blogger believes that Rakitic is a better player than Fabregas. Yes, people have different opinions on a lot of things.