Melbourne Football

James Brown

GreenSeater

To be fair to him, he was pretty average for 80 minutes but he did take the goal well, showed composure to go around keeper that I'm sure not all our other wingers would done

It was a bloody good goal all round. Little flick by Koren on to Mooy, great vision and pass by Mooy, and Brown timing his run to perfection and taking it just wide enough of the 'keeper before calmly stroking it in. It looks so easy, but it isn't. Plenty of players would have butchered the chance.

Duga and willo would have skied it

Yes he scored, yes Mifsud would have butchered it but Brown didn't have much of a game except for that goal. Was missing for most of the time and plenty of poor passes. Don't rate him overall.

To be honest if James Brown can pop up with a goal now and again, I don't really care if he plays multiple poor passes and looks a bit anonymous in games. Melbourne City need goal-scoring attackers, so if Brown can pop up with a goal now and again like he did tonight, which was a well taken goal that was far from straightforward, then I'm prepared to overlook his shortcomings (I'd say we shouldn't need to rely on Brown to provide MOTM performances; our high-paid players should produce those). 

Credit to Brown, and hopefully it's a sign of things to come.

Edited by Murfy1

The only sign I see is in another 20 rounds people will talk about that goal he scored against sydney and the pass he made in round 1. Id love to be wrong and see all our poor absent players reach their peak and be game changers but history has proven it just doesn't happen. They will disappear and be extremely average for large periods again.

• Like 1

The only sign I see is in another 20 rounds people will talk about that goal he scored against sydney and the pass he made in round 1. Id love to be wrong and see all our poor absent players reach their peak and be game changers but history has proven it just doesn't happen. They will disappear and be extremely average for large periods again.

Whole night reminds me of Adrian Zara...

Melbourne City's James Brown hopes to put injury aside and rebuild career

Michael Lynch

March 24, 2015

It's never easy for any player to admit that his career is at the crossroads, especially when injury has prevented him from really getting the chance to show what he can do.

But Melbourne City's attacking midfielder James Brown is a realist, and the 25-year-old from Tweed Heads, one of the handful of Indigenous players in the Australian professional game, knows that he has to grasp whatever opportunities may come his way over the next few weeks as City battles to shore up a finals spot.

Brown joined City at the start of this season after two frustrating years at Newcastle when he did not score in 28 appearances. For him now it's all about staying fit and healthy. For most players it's not too difficult, but for Brown it's been almost impossible.

After making a huge impression when he broke through with Gold Coast United as a teenager, Brown's career has been a succession of occasional peaks with long troughs of inaction.

But having made his first appearance in two months last Friday night when he scored the only goal in City's 1-0 win against Sydney, the player is praying that he can finally build the momentum he has been unable to find for the past three years.

"It was my first game back for a long time. I had not played for seven or eight weeks, so it was nice to be back with the boys," he said before a training session on Tuesday as City gear up for its crucial game with Brisbane on Saturday.

"I was pretty surprised with how well I went; I got through 90 minutes. My career is in a bit of a limbo I think, its been hard to build up any momentum.

"I know what I can do, but it's up to me to go out and just play well and build on the weekend's performance."

The fact that he wasn't on the scoresheet once during his time in the Hunter Valley after he had hit the target nine times in 38 appearances for Gold Coast tells its own story.

"I went to Newcastle for a couple of years and I had a lot of injuries. My time at Gold Coast caught up with me. It's been a while since I had that momentum.

"Fitness wise, it's just being out there and playing that's important. I haven't really put together 90 minutes for a long time. I am not going to make excuses for my time at Newcastle. I had a tough run there, I had a couple of injuries and a couple of surgeries; I found it hard to build any form, any momentum."

Earlier this season Brown had been sidelined by an ankle injury, but it was a knee problem –overuse mainly, he says – that kept him out more recently.

He should be reaching his prime period now, and having been through Australia's development system and played for his country at under-23, under-20 and under-17 level, there are no doubts about his ability.

"I think I have a lot of potential. I think I deserve to be playing professionally in the A-League, but it's up to me to show it, to prove it and play week in week out."

He doesn't need to be reminded of the importance of Saturday night's meeting with the Roar, the team with whom they are scrapping to secure the last finals berth.

"We take a lot of confidence in going up to Sydney and taking three points up there. It's a huge game for both teams. If we do win it's  going to put us pretty close to making the top six."

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-citys-james-brown-hopes-to-put-injury-aside-and-rebuild-career-20150324-1m6hhi.html?

Gotta feel sympathy for players who struggle with injuries. Takes a lot out of you both physically and mentally. The way he scored the goal against the Smurfs was pretty cool and calm. I dare say some other players would have butchered the same chance.

Edited by HEARTinator

Just calm down fellas, he scored one goal.

After being nearly invisible in the first half.

Yep true but if it was David Villa who pretty much wasn't in the game and then popped up with the winning goal we'd have hailed him as a hero and said that he showed his 'true class'. Not sayin' that Brown is in Villa's league :tooth:

Yep true but if it was David Villa who pretty much wasn't in the game and then popped up with the winning goal we'd have hailed him as a hero and said that he showed his 'true class'. Not sayin' that Brown is in Villa's league :tooth: Not only that we'd see 3 pages of "how he rescued us". Good lucky to Browny but that goal needs to be a stepping stone.

I don't think the value of that goal would be any different had Villa scored it. I'm just as much with you guys in the hope that Brown can get even better.

What is different though is one has proven countless times he can bring world class performances and another hasn't proven he can even bring above average aleague performances consistently. Unlike Brown, Villa by far has earned that respect as a player and deserves it.

If he's consistently bringing what he brought on Friday then respect as a player will improve.

Niko we don't come here for balanced rational discussion.

A bloke scores his first goal in 3 years will now carry us to a title. Just go with the flow. When he doesn't score then we can demand our capo to jump the fence and rip off his shirt. Its always the either or situation nothing in between.

• Like 1

Yep true but if it was David Villa who pretty much wasn't in the game and then popped up with the winning goal we'd have hailed him as a hero and said that he showed his 'true class'. Not sayin' that Brown is in Villa's league :tooth:

Pretty much sums up Villa's spell with us doesn't it?

Pretty much sums up Villa's spell with us doesn't it?

2 goals in 4 matches. Would have hit double figures by now easy. Would be hailing him a hero  :up:

• 2 weeks later...

Gone for the rest of the season with a foot injury according to JVS. 

Caused whilst committing a foul that earnt a yellow card.  In effect self inflicted.

Yes, stupid and unnecessary foul. Just like Chapman's brain fade, some of our players need to be told what their obligations are to the club in terms of discipline. So bloody irritating when little things like this can affect a whole season. Again weak bloody management.