Melbourne Football

Your Favourite Match

Shahanga

OK,

So in 4 years we've seen some classics (and alas some shockers, but the less said about those the better) and I thought a thread where people could mount their case for their favourite would be fun.

A few stand out to me (am only counting the ones I was actually at), such as the friendly vs everton and of course last friday vs Sydney/Scum Fc but the one that really stands out for me was 23 December 2011: Home Derby.

I had finally talked the rest of my family into accompanying me and my son to the game.  Their first Heart game, they were grumbling about why they supported us (rather than "them"), wait till you get to the ground and meet some Victory supporters i said- then you'll understand!  and sure enough that's exactly what happened!  

We were sitting just under the roof on one of the sides, surrounded by 'tards ("deep in the enemy base" is how my kids put it).  It was like a sauna up there and between that, our slow start and then A. Thompson's goal, things were looking grim.  Of course the rest is history -JVS tweaked things, M. Thompson got his magic double, we went ballistic, (tards or no tards) and Terra added the coup de grace in the 2nd half.

Warmed my heart watching the tards scurry for the exits from about the 75 minute mark and even the goal we coughed up at the death couldn't dampen our spirits.  Hey presto 3 more rusted on heart supporters!     

Has got to be the first ever against CCM. I know it's a bit cheesy but i still have the ticket from that game in my room (somewhere!) and it began my love for the club. Even though i was sitting in GA it was my first taste of Australian football and it fucking rocked.

A close second though has to be that game agaisnt Perth were gol gol scored the winner in the 89th minute courtesy of a pass from 'the ditch'. There were 4000 of us there, and we were all pissed off, and than out of nowhere gol gol scored and we lost our shit.

Fuck it, every match is my favourite match :up:

I've been to 6 Heart matches in total now (4 this year, 2 in previous years) and I've got to agree Shahanga, last Friday against Sydney FC was definitely on par with the Christmas derby of 2011 (my first attended A-League game ever).

Both were amazing games for completely different reasons but both will linger as two of my fondest memories for years and years to come.

For me is the first ever derby

Went to the derby with my roommate and actually that is the first time we've heard about Melbourne Heart. We said we will support the winning team before the game. In fact we bought our Heart's scarf just before kick-off because I never liked tards

Can still remember we were surrounded by tards fan. I believe all the fans in that bay are tards fan except us. I was so excited when Terra scored the second goal and we cheered so crazy. It was like watching two aliens for tards fans to watched two Chinese cheering so loud. Also, that is the first time I saw a flying flare in football match.

After that I become a fan of Melbourne Heart and wil be a life long Heart fan. I lost my hometown team in 8 years ago, I will give all my passion to Heart all my life! 

That central coast game where KO was delayed for an hour was pretty fun with all the rain. 1st Derby the 2011 xmas derby.

GC away has to get a mention. Same with Bris away from season 2.

Sydney at home the other week is up there imo.

Edit. Forgot to mention the Adelaide away game in season 1. Watching it at the riser a d a few of us chucked money on at HT with odds of $21.Came back and won with a few of us cleaning up.

Edited by malloy
  • Like 2

I have to say it was last week's game. I missed the first half due to work but I still busted a gut to get there for the second half. I knew the score and the fact we were a man down but somehow I didn't really care because for the first time in a long time I had something to feel positive about given the city purchase. Then bam we win the game.

For me my favourite was the derby win at etihad in johnnys first game. We were the complete underdogs, largely outnumbered in fans but the boys in red and white came out on top! I felt amazing after that game. (Was that the last time we techincally won an away game?)

Other great games for me was gold coast away in season two. The small contingent of travelling fans really got into it and by the time was scored the second goal, we were outsinging the home support. To be at that game was truly special and what was even more was that all the players and jvs came over and shook the hend of eack individual who made the trip.

Perth 1-0 with Golgol's late winner. It was only the true rusted on unwavering supporters who got to enjoy that win and at a party afterwards I pulled the hottest chick I've seen in my life. 10/10 day.

Or Aloisi's first derby. Wasn't able to make the game so watched at home with a mate and was running around the room with delirium when we went up 2-1. Also collected around $500 from the bookies wheb I dropped $100 on us at some ridiculous odds like $4.70 or something.

Honorable mentions to:

3-1 over Jets this season

3-0 over Jets season two.

4-1 over the roar season three (Theo gave my mate the bird after a solid 20 minutes of heckling about his name change)

Ive got 3 really.

The second Adelaide away trip in season 1 where Colosimo and Aloisi scored 2 late goals was awesome to win it was insane. Shit was lost when Aloisi put it in the back of the net and a few too many CC and cokes were consumed before during and especially after that game. Top top away trip.

The first XMas derby is stock standard and was a bloody amazing night.

Last weeks game is the other. Cant remember the last time ive gone off to the point where i was lifting and hugging people. Was on cloud 9 after Willo's cracker

For me is the first ever derby

Went to the derby with my roommate and actually that is the first time we've heard about Melbourne Heart. We said we will support the winning team before the game. In fact we bought our Heart's scarf just before kick-off because I never liked tards

Can still remember we were surrounded by tards fan. I believe all the fans in that bay are tards fan except us. I was so excited when Terra scored the second goal and we cheered so crazy. It was like watching two aliens for tards fans to watched two Chinese cheering so loud. Also, that is the first time I saw a flying flare in football match.

After that I become a fan of Melbourne Heart and wil be a life long Heart fan. I lost my hometown team in 8 years ago, I will give all my passion to Heart all my life! 

Oh yes! Without any doubt. Perfect in every way and can never be wiped from the record books. Will never forget the commentary for our two goals - Aloisi (remember him?) with the first "...and the new boys are on their way!" and Terra with the second "...and they're queuing up at the back post..."

The second was one of the best goals you'll ever see. Watch it again if you can - a long sweeping move from inside our half and right across the field involving several players - Marrone was involved a couple of times - ending with Worm turning inside and putting the cross right on Terra's toe. Super stuff.

Edited by jw1739

Sydney Away in S1 which was my first Away Trip and was one of the only two wins that I have seen in ten Away Trips.

I Took my younger brother along to meet the few lads we came along and Zara scored a Winner deep into the second half.

I remember that game.

He came off the bench and scored in the last 5 minutes. Was at my mates place watching that game and when he scored, went off my head in front of his family.

Good times

Different games bring different experiences.

Season 3 smashing Brisbane 4-1 was incredibly enjoyable to sit there and watch the opposition and title holders get obliterated. Despite their possession superiority, to watch them carved up with ruthless efficiency was just brilliant.

Christmas derby 2011 was great and I'll never forget sitting on the fence Yarraside end willing Thommos two efforts in - the chip which seemed to take forever to dribble in and watching the other hit the post and hoping it would fall the right way.

For sheer nerves holding on to a lead and triumphing 3-2 over Brisbane again in season 3. Willo's red and hanging on by a fingernail was draining but incredibly rewarding. The most tense win yet the stoicism to hang on fantastic.

For pure joy last Friday. After the shit we'd all put up with, it was like a dam bursting. Resilient, inspiring, well coached and amazingly disciplined. And from what I've heard about JVS's half time speech to the players, I'm sure it will sit in their memories as well. Word is it was inspirational and incredibly calm and measured.

Fwiw, the Perth game with Gol Gol's 89th minute winner was shit and boring football until that moment. A terrible game from both sides overall in terms of skill and chances.

• Like 1

For me (think Ned Zelic) it would have to be the derby last seaons opener. Watched it, and impressed by the quality on show and someone giving it to Victory i decided to take up A-League and cemented Heart as my adopted team. Very happy with my choice on both accounts, cant keep up with EPL anymore due to work commitments so A League and Heart are filling the gap.