Melbourne Football

Matchday 18: vs Perth Glory @ Lavington Sports Oval - Sunday 9th February - 3pm EDT

Nate

A major hissy fit over a minor issue on the day.

The small time Fairfax reporter was clearly upset that her highly developed investigative skills were unable to get an official quote from the 'cheersquad' after the first flare :droy:

Yes, the behaviour was a bit stupid, but if this was the biggest highlight of the day and the only thing that deserved a write up in her eyes, then I must have been at a different game.

• Like 6

A major hissy fit over a minor issue on the day.

The small time Fairfax reporter was clearly upset that her highly developed investigative skills were unable to get an official quote from the 'cheersquad' after the first flare :droy:

Yes, the behaviour was a bit stupid, but if this was the biggest highlight of the day and the only thing that deserved a write up in her eyes, then I must have been at a different game.

Give her a break, it IS the most exciting thing to have happened in her reporting career in Albury.

Finally home. Well worth the trip! Little unsettling seeing so many fires on the way home, hope everyone got back safely and thoughts are with those affected.

Very impressed with the attendance given the circumstances, had the game been on a Saturday, and around 30, would have easily gotten over 10k I think.

Pity the flares will be what's remembered from this one though. Agree with the general consensus, flares usually don't bother me, but on a day with conditions predicted to be the worst since Black Saturday, you're an absolute moron to rip a flare. Just lucky it was on concrete. Hope they found the CORRECT person responsible and they get hit with fines for breaking total fire ban laws as well.

As it stands, the people they took out for the first one were not those behind it - one kid had a flare dumped in his bag and subsequently copped it. Low act.

• Like 2

#passionisnotacrime

Letting off a flare in those conditions is fucking moronic absoluty moronic. The whole area is a tinder box and some dumb fuckwit does that. It's not passion at all.

Bloody oath.

I personally don't actually see the point of flares at all, not to mention in 40 degree heat.

It's a shame because we're really one of the more well-behaved sides in this country in regards to crowd behaviour and have managed to more or less fly under the radar while Sydney, Victory and WSW get dragged into the lime-light for their stupid antics. I'd hate to see us be roped into that same bunch now.

Whilst it was stupid to let off flares in the heat I doubt that we will get dragged into that group. To be fair we have only had a handful of incidents that have received 'large' exposure and if it wasn't for the heat the flares wouldn't have even been commented on.

Can't believe how much of a stir the flares have caused. I totally understand where many are coming from but being there today, pretty much right amongst it, it was very mild. Within 30 seconds the haze was gone and completely put out, on concrete. At no point in time did I feel concerned for anyone's safety and I'm sure many there felt the same. I hope outsiders can understand this and enjoy the valuable 3 points.

Edited by heartrate
  • Like 3

They weren't even flares. It was a smokie lul. Ie. no flame

None the less, a fuckwit act to bring them tbh. But no need too tar all us supporters who enjoyed a great game, because of the acts of a moronic individual, which lasted a total of 10 seconds. Tops.

Edited by FB.
  • Like 3

Can't believe now much of a stir the flares have caused. I totally understand where many are coming from but being there today, pretty much right amongst it, it was very mild. Within 30 seconds the haze was gone and completely put out, on concrete. At no point in time did I feel concerned for anyone's safety and I'm sure many there felt the same. I hope outsiders can understand this and enjoy the valuable 3 points.

I was right next to the dude who lit the second one and I agree, at no point did I feel unsafe. 

It was just a stupid thing to do.

Great trip, dunno if it's considered away but I would put it up there as one of the better away days I have been too. Great fun with the people who came around on that terrace section, good spot for it too. I don't really care too much about flares, but just against the fact that other people get done for it when they are just enjoying the game.

In regards to the game, wasn't the best, but it was hot, we saw a few goals out of it and got the win, which I will take for travelling the 4 hours. Loved seeing Paddy K get into.

Finally back home.

Really pleased to see the team win outside of Victoria. And once again the team had a setback, conceding an equaliser, but heads didn't drop and the team went on to win (despite talisman Kewell, who really lifts the team, having been subbed off).

The heat did really effect the game. Players couldn't go that extra yard to make things happen, so the quality of the match was probably a bit low. Heart nonetheless had some quality passages of play, and we're getting noticeably better with the ball every week.

It's so refreshing to see the youthful enthusiasm and creativity of Mauk. Not everything he did came off but he was a lively and useful player for us when he was on.

The workhorses Murdocca, Germano and Kisnorbo had solid games. They have great workrates and they keep the team ticking. Also, it's great to see Kisnorbo continue to improve with our set pieces. He scored 8 goals at Leicester one season, and there's no reason why Kisnorbo can't score a few more goals this season if our set piece delivery is good (no more short corners & set pieces please!!!).

Pleased to see the great turnout and good support for Heart. It was my first game in active support, and it was a great experience all up. SHT and the chants were great, and it was just a really good way to enjoy the game, supporting the team throughout.

I don't want to give much time to the issue of flares as I don't think they are an especially important topic, but they were disappointing to see. Someone I traveled to the game with was wrongly kicked out by police/security after the cowardly idiot lit the first flare, and they just picked him out at random. Pathetic by police/security, of course, but there's no need for the flares at all to begin with. Great atmosphere is generated without them, so why bother with them? Also, as has been suggested, we don't want Heart active support to get targeted in the same way that WSW and Victory active support is, so there simply shouldn't be any flares.

Great to see Heart on a roll and our team finally living up to some of its potential. There's no reason why we can't continue this good run under JVS and move up the ladder.

• Like 2

Well got up to watch the recording this morning only to see Serie A and Bundesliga games on.

Came on here to see the game was delayed.

Ah well need to get up and watch the next one live doh

At least another good win for you lads. Amazing what you have to go through when watching your team.

I would have found that heat unbearable.

I know Bella will kill me, but for the first time I thought the Hoff was ok. His decision making is improving and maturing and, along with Mass, has to be one of the fittest in the squad - he kept pushing all day.

No, I wouldn't kill you, Hoff is OK in patches but if he is seen as a BR for the future then we either have very modest ambitions or our proposed style of play doesn't involve any creativity from our wide players.

I wouldn't kill you either, just make you watch all of Hoff's games - in perpetuity. Given his age I don't think he can improve much and he has a lot to improve. What he does bring to the game is fitness, and he can't be pushed off the ball. He like Kalmar is too stiff so he can't change directions easily and he lacks vision, so basically once he sets his mind to go forward he will go on a straight line, thus he becomes predictable. JvS obviously must feel that there isn't another player to replace him with for the moment and although he hasn't been Mifsud calamitous he hasn't done enough in my books to have granted him another contract.

Was a great win by the lads in extreme conditions ... massive applause for Murdocca's game -- is this little guy fit or what ?? Kept his attack on the football and running up for the whole game - great work.

Shame about the flares -- interesting it doesn't happen at aami -- yet it happens in Albury - me sense locals who don't frequent many games .

Was a great win by the lads in extreme conditions ... massive applause for Murdocca's game -- is this little guy fit or what ?? Kept his attack on the football and running up for the whole game - great work.

Shame about the flares -- interesting it doesn't happen at aami -- yet it happens in Albury - me sense locals who don't frequent many games .

Nah. It's probably the same people who rip flares out the front of Richmond Statation/AAMI Park to be "proppa noughty hard cunts" but won't inside the stadium due to CTV and fear of the repercussions. I doubt Albury has great crowd survalience cameras so these people feel comfortable letting off some smokeys as they probably won't get a knock on the door from the police.

I personally think flares look good, add to the atmosphere and are mostly safe. But they are completely needless considering the damage they do to both the fans and the clubs reputations. We are the classy Melbourne Heart and we're better than that.

• Like 1

Congrats on the win. I wasn't able to watch it live but it's fantastic to see you keeping your unbeaten run going and it can't be long before you start actually gaining places in the table. Let's hope that that elusive first away win will come soon, eh?

Surprised by the flare issue, I have to say. I'm not surprised that it caused such a stir - the exact same stir happens here when they are set off, with the government possibly setting the bar for biscuit-taking by declaring smoke flares a choking hazard (apparently, so they claim, the smoke can cause you to die if you breath it in - what?!?) but I was a little surprised that so many here are against it. By and large, back in the UK fans are almost unanimously in favour of flares, and a fair amount of anger is generated every time people are publicly punished for setting them off, but few actually get used because Parliament forced clubs to issue 3-year banning orders to anyone caught with them (and when everyone has an assigned seat every game, it's fairly easy to identify culprits). I kind of assumed that the same attitude would be prevalent here.

#passionisnotacrime

Letting off a flare in those conditions is fucking moronic absoluty moronic. The whole area is a tinder box and some dumb fuckwit does that. It's not passion at all.

Don't take my post seriously.

AAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAH ALL OF YOU WHO PULLED OUT SUCKED IN 52c9e.png52c9e.png52c9e.png

My four hour meeting at 9AM say otherwise TBH.

Also I really enjoyed seeing us win on TV for the time in almost two years. :up: Nah. Always better to see a win in person tbh :up:

No shit Sherlock - Of course I wish I had been there. :up:

80-s-Casuals-Habits-Of-Waste-T-Shirt91.j

Edited by cadete

Congrats on the win. I wasn't able to watch it live but it's fantastic to see you keeping your unbeaten run going and it can't be long before you start actually gaining places in the table. Let's hope that that elusive first away win will come soon, eh?

Surprised by the flare issue, I have to say. I'm not surprised that it caused such a stir - the exact same stir happens here when they are set off, with the government possibly setting the bar for biscuit-taking by declaring smoke flares a choking hazard (apparently, so they claim, the smoke can cause you to die if you breath it in - what?!?) but I was a little surprised that so many here are against it. By and large, back in the UK fans are almost unanimously in favour of flares, and a fair amount of anger is generated every time people are publicly punished for setting them off, but few actually get used because Parliament forced clubs to issue 3-year banning orders to anyone caught with them (and when everyone has an assigned seat every game, it's fairly easy to identify culprits). I kind of assumed that the same attitude would be prevalent here.

You gotta understand Falastur that the media over here will do anything they can to denigrate the beautiful game. They use the lighting of flares to point out what a bunch of crazed hooligans we are. So some of us wish no one would light flares because we don't want to give the media any ammunition to attack the game. Personally I think anyone who lights a flare is not a fan of football either because why would you risk a 3 year ban or whatever it is. 

falastur i think the concern in this thread and in the media is more to do with it being 40 degrees and a 'total fire ban' which means just that (no fires to be lit in the open).

Ah, yeah, fair enough. Given that we have been deluged by winds and flooding for the last six weeks, and that it's winter, it's a little easy for me to forget that it is in fact fairly hot in other parts of the world. My bad.

falastur i think the concern in this thread and in the media is more to do with it being 40 degrees and a 'total fire ban' which means just that (no fires to be lit in the open).

and several raging bushfires, with homes burning down, areas evacuated, roads and highways cut.  And only 5 years after the catsrophy that was Black Saturday.

I guess opinions vary on flares but we all united on what we think of people who start bushfires.

• Like 1

I know this game was about who could deal with 40 deg heat.

However it was glaringly obvious how much we missed Engelaars controlling influence in the middle today

We also resorted to the back to the keeper long ball routine...from the edge of THEIR penalty area.  Both me and my 74 year old dad lost it when that started happening.

There's a handful of players out there that TBH will find themselves cut from the squad at seasons end.  And it won't be the usual suspects.

If I saw someone doing the same thing in my postcode yesterday, I would want charges laid against them. I don't care if it's a Heart supporter or not, the stupidity and selfishness of some people never ceases to amaze. The CFA volunteers in the region would probably want to string the guy up and can you blame them? There's just no defence at all. I couldn't agree more with the theme of that article.

Great win by the boys. Some huge games coming up and no better test to finally get a (true) away win than taking on a in-form Wellington in NZ.

• Like 2

I know this game was about who could deal with 40 deg heat.

However it was glaringly obvious how much we missed Engelaars controlling influence in the middle today

We also resorted to the back to the keeper long ball routine...from the edge of THEIR penalty area.  Both me and my 74 year old dad lost it when that started happening.

There's a handful of players out there that TBH will find themselves cut from the squad at seasons end.  And it won't be the usual suspects.

We were always going to miss Orlando, but Mindy's (Mauk) performance in a key role (Not as a Full Back like when Goodwin and Walker impressed) deserves a lot of praise and a new contract extension ASAP.

• Like 2

#passionisnotacrime

Don't take my post seriously.

I wassnt I noticed the sarcasm. Just lighting flares really irked me

If I saw someone doing the same thing in my postcode yesterday, I would want charges laid against them. I don't care if it's a Heart supporter or not, the stupidity and selfishness of some people never ceases to amaze. The CFA volunteers in the region would probably want to string the guy up and can you blame them? There's just no defence at all. I couldn't agree more with the theme of that article.

I was going to leave this topic, but the paranoia on display by some posters is ridiculous.

A smoke flare was never going to start any bushfires. It was a concrete stand, positioned nowhere near any substantial bushland. No sparks are shot from the flare, and last time I checked, I didn't suffer any burns from the smoke.

There were also a good 100 people in the direct vicinity, most with water in their possesion, and don't forget the fact that the fire crew (with truck) that was positioned down the end of the ground, didn't even make a move towards the group.

Yes the bushfires on display whilst driving home weren't a good sight, especially due to how close they were to property, which I understand can cause some fear.

However people need to stop over reacting and getting all self-righteous over a what was always a non-event.

• Like 5

I was going to leave this topic, but the paranoia on display by some posters is ridiculous.

A smoke flare was never going to start any bushfires. It was a concrete stand, positioned nowhere near any substantial bushland. No sparks are shot from the flare, and last time I checked, I didn't suffer any burns from the smoke.

There were also a good 100 people in the direct vicinity, most with water in their possesion, and don't forget the fact that the fire crew (with truck) that was positioned down the end of the ground, didn't even make a move towards the group.

Yes the bushfires on display whilst driving home weren't a good sight, especially due to how close they were to property, which I understand can cause some fear.

However people need to stop over reacting and getting all self-righteous over a what was always a non-event.

It's not up to some fuckwit who even considers putting a flare and some matches in his bag on a day like yesterday to decide what is safe and what is not. It's up to the people who work (either on a voluntary and a paid basis) to save people's property and occasionally lives in conditions exactly like what we had across the state yesterday.

A flare in a highly hazardous bush fire area is like yelling 'terrorist' on a plane as a joke. Might be harmless in practise but reality is it will always spark controversy no matter how much you defend your actions. Not condemning it but not supporting it either.

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 5

A flare in a highly hazardous bush fire area is like yelling 'terrorist' on a plane as a joke. Might be harmless in practise but reality is it will always spark controversy no matter how much you defend your actions. Not condemning it but not supporting it either.

Valid Point - Flares being ripped yesterday was always going to be a News story.