Melbourne Football

Aaron Mooy

MHFCRC

I personally thought Mooy should have been moved ahead of Rogic after 30 minutes. Although Tom got into some nice positions, I think he was wasteful quite a few times with his final pass and shot. If Aaron had been playing in his position then I believe he would have created more chances.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, silva10 said:

I personally thought Mooy should have been moved ahead of Rogic after 30 minutes. Although Tom got into some nice positions, I think he was wasteful quite a few times with his final pass and shot. If Aaron had been playing in his position then I believe he would have created more chances.

Our national team since qualifying for the 2014 World Cup has undergone a massive shift in how we play.   The problem as the World Cup games showed and this game showed is we are defensively vulnerable on the counter.  Rogic is much weaker defending than Mooy is so this is why he is played deeper. 

The other issue is we have no clinical finisher.  Put one of our strikers in Rooney's goal chance and he misses more times than he scores. That through pass Mooy put to Kruse would have been buried by a truly world class striker.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silva10 said:

The most important thing is that he goes to a team that will give him playing time. Personally, I think Belgium or Holland would suit him better.

I reckon the Championship would be a great move for him. 

With some big clubs down there now in Newcastle United and Aston Villa he'd probably get a lot of game time and feature heavily. Also think it's a nice introduction than sitting on the pine for a Premier League club and not getting many minutes.

Playing for a guy like Rafa Benitez wouldn't be something to sneeze at.

50 minutes ago, Melburnian said:

With some big clubs down there now in Newcastle United and Aston Villa he'd probably get a lot of game time and feature heavily. Also think it's a nice introduction than sitting on the pine for a Premier League club and not getting many minutes.

It is the style of play that would be very different. In Belgium and Holland they play a more passing game that would suit Aaron better IMO.

However, I can imagine he could make a go of it at the Championship. Maybe Villa could take a chance on him. I suspect Rafa has already got his targets selected for next season.

8 hours ago, silva10 said:

It is the style of play that would be very different. In Belgium and Holland they play a more passing game that would suit Aaron better IMO.

However, I can imagine he could make a go of it at the Championship. Maybe Villa could take a chance on him. I suspect Rafa has already got his targets selected for next season.

You're not convinced he could make it in the top flight?

I definitely think he could - the England friendly sealed it in my mind.

9 hours ago, Melburnian said:

200_s.gif

Edited by GreenSeater
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Melburnian said:

I can't think of any Australian players that have improved playing in championship. The style of play doesn't suit them 

2 hours ago, Dylan said:

Then who are the dutch?

I've been through this before , I reckon people are winding me up to see me crack the shits

The Netherlands is divided into twelve provinces, of which North Holland and South Holland are but two

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provinces_of_the_Netherlands

Lets just say that the next time the Socceroos play, ie against Greece, we can say that  Victoria is playing against Greece

6 minutes ago, japiedog said:

I've been through this before , I reckon people are winding me up to see me crack the shits

The Netherlands is divided into twelve provinces, of which North Holland and South Holland are but two

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provinces_of_the_Netherlands

Lets just say that the next time the Socceroos play, ie against Greece, we can say that  Victoria is playing against Greece

Not a Seinfeld fan? :P

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dylan said:

Not a Seinfeld fan? :P

I've seen a few episodes , bu obviously not this one

I'm a bit over Seinfeld age demographic, in fact I'm more  the Tony Hancock ( Hancock's Half Hour ) age group.

in fact watch an old episode of Hancock and you can see where Jerry Seinfeld stole, sorry , got his idea of a show from.

23 minutes ago, japiedog said:

I've seen a few episodes , bu obviously not this one

I'm a bit over Seinfeld age demographic, in fact I'm more  the Tony Hancock ( Hancock's Half Hour ) age group.

in fact watch an old episode of Hancock and you can see where Jerry Seinfeld stole, sorry , got his idea of a show from.

Seinfeld's a show about nothing though..

A-League standard not far off EPL says Socceroos' star Aaron Mooy

Dominic Bossi

May 30, 2016

There may be a gulf in stature, profile and salaries but the Socceroos believe the gap in technical standard with the best from the English Premier League is increasingly negligible. 

The Socceroos returned to Australia from their 2-1 friendly defeat against the Three Lions with the knowledge they can compete with the best from Europe, even if playing their club football in the A-League.

There was a surreal feeling for some of the Socceroos as they lined up against stars of the game at Sunderland's Stadium of Light, but midfielder Aaron Mooy said any sense of being overawed didn't transpire on the field. The players were of a better quality and better drilled, but the Melbourne City star said he was surprised the pace and standard of the game wasn't much greater than the A-League.

"I don't think it's that much different," Mooy said. "Everyone talks about it being so different but I don't think it's that much quicker. They're probably better players on the ball, they're probably physically better as well but I didn't really think it was that much quicker than the A-League."

But convincing the Australian public of that may prove harder after coach Ange Postecoglou hit out at the cultural critique that hangs over the domestic game.

"I think the three best midfielders on the park were Mile Jedinak, Tomi Rogic and Aaron Mooy. Just because people play at a certain league and have a higher profile that doesn't mean they're at a different level to what we've got," Postecoglou said. 

"It won't happen if we don't change perception and if we don't have a different perception of ourselves.

"The English are pumping up Marcus Rashford on the back of a deflection and a decent volley and after that he didn't really do much. But, he's 18, he plays for Manchester United and he's got a big fat contract and I'm sure that he gets elevated to a different level now because of doing that. We somehow think that Aaron Mooy or Tomi Rogic is less worthy of that sort of merit," Postecoglou said.

Australia continue their run of friendlies against European opponents with the first match of their two-game series against Greece on Saturday night at ANZ Stadium. 

"The more games we get against this level and play our kind of football, it hopefully changes perceptions externally," Postecoglou said.

"I don't have that issue about us having to prove ourselves or our players having to prove ourselves, what we need to do is feel better about ourselves and have more belief and hopefully the perception on the outside changes."

Postecoglou confirmed his intentions to continue to experiment with the team in the series against Greece, including making several changes to the starting line-up for the second match.  "We'll make a number of changes for the second game, it was the nature of the exercise anyway,"  he said.

There's a chance he will change his formation from the diamond 4-4-2 he used against England, with the inclusion of four more forwards in the squad to play Greece. 

"I think we're obviously going to have a set way and a set philosophy that I don't veer away from. As you saw with the England game, we were lacking in the front half without Appo Giannou, Timmy Cahill and obviously Matt Leckie not being there, [Nathan Burns] not being there and Tomi Juric and Jamie Maclaren came in having hardly played any football so we had to tweak the formation," Postecoglou said.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/aleague-standard-not-far-off-epl-says-socceroos-star-aaron-mooy-20160530-gp7f1j.html

Also:

The quietly spoken 25-year-old is on the verge of leaving A-League side Melbourne City, with his decision to be made following the two-match friendly series with Greece in Sydney and Melbourne on June 4 and 7.

Mooy insists he still has “no idea” where he’ll end up.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/melbourne-city-aaron-mooy-says-aleague-not-much-slower-than-the-uk/news-story/519eb72c3320adfc3bd55024a2b0c115

And

Mooy won't be deciding his club future until after the Socceroos' two friendlies against Greece in Australia next month.

Belgian outfit Club Brugge lead a host of potential suitors from the UK and Europe looking to secure Mooy's signature for next season and beyond.

He remains coy on where he'll end up, but Mooy gave a strong indication after the England game that he'll soon be on the move.

"I'm going to just focus on the Greece games first, after that I'll sit down with Melbourne City and have a chat," Mooy said.

"We'll see what happens. You never know, we'll see, I'm still contracted to Melbourne City."

http://www.espnfc.com/australia/story/2882970/ange-postecoglou-backs-aaron-mooy-for-european-move-with-club-brugge-keen

Edited by Murfy1

13 hours ago, JC22 said:

You're not convinced he could make it in the top flight?

I definitely think he could - the England friendly sealed it in my mind.

There have been many players who have performed well for their national team, but failed to make it as a club player.

Success at international level doesn't always mean you will be successful at a high level in club football.

Northern Ireland's qualification for this years Euros is an example of that.

Aaron may well succeed in the EPL if given the chance. He certainly has good footballing ability. However, there are other factors outside of playing that could hinder him. One is that he chooses the right club and a second is that he is able to settle in a different country. I have seen players from one part of the UK unable to settle in another part of the UK. It just doesn't come down to playing ability.

• Like 2

Who the fuck develops a soft spot for Hull?? They're easily one of the worst teams to watch in the Premier League in the last 15 years. If ever the terminology "grinding out results" belonged to a team, it'd be Hull. I'd rather Mooy at any of the other 19 clubs.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, mus-28 said:

Who the fuck develops a soft spot for Hull?? They're easily one of the worst teams to watch in the Premier League in the last 15 years. If ever the terminology "grinding out results" belonged to a team, it'd be Hull. I'd rather Mooy at any of the other 19 clubs.

It's also a shithole of a town (although that doesn't seem to stop Aussies considering how many Liverpool fans there are here) and like Wigan rugby league comes first; football second.

1 hour ago, mus-28 said:

Yeah, but Koren played there so they must be ok.

1 hour ago, mus-28 said:

1 hour ago, thisphantomfortress said:

It's also a shithole of a town (although that doesn't seem to stop Aussies considering how many Liverpool fans there are here) and like Wigan rugby league comes first; football second.

Agree, am absolutely sick of Hull at this point. Absolute yo-yo club who are no fun to watch whatsoever, would much have preferred to see Wednesday win the playoff.

Have also actually been there twice (for Arsenal away games) and can confirm it's a hole.

SBS reporting EPL clubs are interested in Mooy:

New suitors in for Mooy's signature

1 JUN 2016

By Greg Prichard

Aaron Mooy’s starring performance for Australia against England has had the effect of attracting a whole new raft of offers for the Melbourne City midfielder who is set to switch his career to Europe.

The flow-on effect is that Mooy now might not make a decision on his future before late this month. It had been anticipated he would make a decision around the middle of the month, after he had time to think following the completion of his latest international commitments with the Socceroos.

Mooy is in camp with the Socceroos preparing for games against Greece in Sydney on Saturday and Melbourne on Tuesday.

The World Game reported ahead of the game against England last weekend that numerous European club scouts would be attending the clash at the Stadium of Light in Sunderland, many with the priority of assessing Mooy’s form.

He had already been the subject of major interest from European clubs and his excellent form in the 2-1 loss to England, with so many scouts watching him in action live, has led to a further dramatic increase in the number of clubs who want to talk to him.

TWG understands about eight new clubs have expressed an interest in getting involved in negotiations, taking the number of clubs chasing Mooy to about 15.

And that is not including clubs in China or the Middle East, where Mooy could make a bundle if he wanted to play there.

Belgium’s Club Brugge and Scotland’s Glasgow Rangers were already known to be among the clubs seeking Mooy’s signature and TWG has been told clubs from the top divisions in Germany, Holland and England are among the others in the hunt.

Mooy’s aim is to find out just how good he is by playing in Europe and his experience playing against England has only increased his self-belief.

Speaking in Sydney this week, Mooy described the experience, for him, of playing against the top English players.

“Everyone talks about it saying it’s different, (but) I don’t think it’s that much quicker (than the A-League),” he said. “They’re better players on the ball, and probably physically better as well, but I didn’t really feel like it was a lot quicker than playing in the A-League.”

Australia coach Ange Postecoglou had no doubt where Mooy stood in comparison to England’s best players on the day.

“Hopefully people saw he’s able to mix it with the best,” Postecoglou said. “I thought the two best midfielders on the pitch were Tommy Rogic and Aaron Mooy - actually the three best, because I thought Mile Jedinak was outstanding as well.

“I can’t name one English midfielder who got the better of those three.”

It could only boost Mooy’s appeal in Europe to have played very well on the same day and in the same team as Rogic, who had previously reportedly attracted the interest of English Premier League heavyweights Arsenal as well as clubs in Italy and Spain.

The big mistake Mooy is desperate to avoid is to join a club where he ends up spending a lot of time on the bench.

Wherever he goes, he is anxious to play regular football so he can achieve his ambitions and also ensure he is physically well prepared to play for the Socceroos, with important World Cup qualifying games coming up later this year.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2016/06/01/new-suitors-mooys-signature

Also BBC/The Sun reporting a move could happen soon:

Scottish Gossip: Alan Stubbs, Hibernian, Hearts, Rangers, Partick Thistle

1 June 2016

[...]

Rangers transfer target Aaron Mooy will make a decision on his future next week. The 25-year-old Australia midfielder, who spent time with St Mirren, is also wanted by leading Belgian clubs. (Sun)

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36423475