Melbourne Football

Aaron Mooy

MHFCRC

Why would he go to the Middle East where he lives in a compound, its 50 degrees in summer, his wife will be banned from coming to games, he won't be able to hold hands or kiss his wife in public? Money doesn't buy everything. Better in Europe but I fear he cannot get a gig over there for decent money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, japiedog said:

I think, deep down, most of us knew last season, that we had something special, how he didn't win an award last season was a travesty

no doubt he will move at the end of the season , lets enjoy his skill while we can

Right on. Why is it when I spend a year outside the country we actually have a bloke that can play football. Hopefully I'll catch him in action in the new year.

19 minutes ago, wombegongal said:

Right on. Why is it when I spend a year outside the country we actually have a bloke that can play football. Hopefully I'll catch him in action in the new year.

Was almost a good move spending the year away with the rubbish that was been dished up. Thank god for Tuna and Moot making the games somewhat enjoyable.

5 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

Was almost a good move spending the year away with the rubbish that was been dished up. Thank god for Tuna and Moot making the games somewhat enjoyable.

Please. Despite not meeting the heights many of us had hoped, last year was still clearly our best season on record.

This season is on track to eclipse last year so far.

14 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Please. Despite not meeting the heights many of us had hoped, last year was still clearly our best season on record.

This season is on track to eclipse last year so far.

Was more talking about this season specifically the first 6 - 7 games where it looked like we would struggle to click on the field, loose the manager and have another season lost. Tell me you thought we where going to "eclipse" last seasons result. For the record hope we do.

22 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

Was more talking about this season specifically the first 6 - 7 games where it looked like we would struggle to click on the field, loose the manager and have another season lost. Tell me you thought we where going to "eclipse" last seasons result. For the record hope we do.

I was and remain pretty confident that we will have our best points tally in our history. 

Pretty confident we'll be top 4 and get a home final, but not sure exactly where we'll finish among the two sydney sides and the mongs. 

The busy schedules for Victory and Sydney should throw the cat amongst the pigeons a bit. I reckon there will be less than 5 points between those 4 sides at seasons end, a small gap back to Brisbane and then a large gap to the rest

Edited by bt50
  • Like 2

City’s Mooy not for sale

12 Dec 2015

By Ben McKay

Melbourne City are saying it once more, and they’re not repeating it. Aaron Mooy is not for sale.

Coach John van `t Schip has issued the imprimatur in response to renewed interest in the Socceroos midfielder.

A $2 million bid from Saudi club Al-Nassr has been rejected by City this month according to Fairfax Media, and van `t Schip hopes it’s enough to scare other suitors away.

“We’ve made it very clear. If there would be any kind of offer, we’re not accepting it,” he said.

“I think it shows that the club is really serious about growing and becoming a club that wants to play for the top positions.

“Aaron Mooy is an important player in that and that’s why he’s staying.”

Mooy is likely to be a runaway leader of the Johnny Warren Medal for best A-League player, such is his red-hot form for City.

His on-field numbers tell the story.

Four goals and six assists in nine games is the best goal involvement in the A-League.

Opta stats list Mooy as creating 39 chances this season; almost double his closest rivals with 21.

Mooy plays centrally yet leads City in crosses. He passes more than anyone at City, hitting the target at over 80 per cent efficiency.

For the less statistically minded, it’s simpler.

He is the creative force behind the league’s best attack.

It’s understandable that clubs from Europe and Asia’s biggest sides would should interest, and just as understandable that van `t Schip would want him to stay.

The paradox for Mooy is that a larger bid is less likely to convince his cashed-up club to sell.

At $2 million, Mooy’s sale would be the biggest fee ever received by an A-League club.

It also means his contract with City, where he is an Australian marquee, is one of the league’s most lucrative.

But the 25-year-old is conscious of the need to grow further as a player, which may not be achievable in the long-term in the A-League.

Van `t Schip understands he’s walking a tightrope keeping Mooy happy and stimulated.

“We’re talking everything through with Aaron. We keep contact close with him to know how he’s feeling,” he said.

“He’s going through a few emotional weeks with the birth of his daughter as well and he’s getting a lot of attention because of his good play.

“Aaron is a great professional, he’s shown that already now in a year and a half with us.

“The only thing I know is that Aaron is not for sale.”

http://www.theroar.com.au/2015/12/12/citys-mooy-not-for-sale/

3 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

City’s Mooy not for sale

12 Dec 2015

By Ben McKay

Melbourne City are saying it once more, and they’re not repeating it. Aaron Mooy is not for sale.

Coach John van `t Schip has issued the imprimatur in response to renewed interest in the Socceroos midfielder.

A $2 million bid from Saudi club Al-Nassr has been rejected by City this month according to Fairfax Media, and van `t Schip hopes it’s enough to scare other suitors away.

“We’ve made it very clear. If there would be any kind of offer, we’re not accepting it,” he said.

“I think it shows that the club is really serious about growing and becoming a club that wants to play for the top positions.

“Aaron Mooy is an important player in that and that’s why he’s staying.”

Mooy is likely to be a runaway leader of the Johnny Warren Medal for best A-League player, such is his red-hot form for City.

His on-field numbers tell the story.

Four goals and six assists in nine games is the best goal involvement in the A-League.

Opta stats list Mooy as creating 39 chances this season; almost double his closest rivals with 21.

Mooy plays centrally yet leads City in crosses. He passes more than anyone at City, hitting the target at over 80 per cent efficiency.

For the less statistically minded, it’s simpler.

He is the creative force behind the league’s best attack.

It’s understandable that clubs from Europe and Asia’s biggest sides would should interest, and just as understandable that van `t Schip would want him to stay.

The paradox for Mooy is that a larger bid is less likely to convince his cashed-up club to sell.

At $2 million, Mooy’s sale would be the biggest fee ever received by an A-League club.

It also means his contract with City, where he is an Australian marquee, is one of the league’s most lucrative.

But the 25-year-old is conscious of the need to grow further as a player, which may not be achievable in the long-term in the A-League.

Van `t Schip understands he’s walking a tightrope keeping Mooy happy and stimulated.

“We’re talking everything through with Aaron. We keep contact close with him to know how he’s feeling,” he said.

“He’s going through a few emotional weeks with the birth of his daughter as well and he’s getting a lot of attention because of his good play.

“Aaron is a great professional, he’s shown that already now in a year and a half with us.

“The only thing I know is that Aaron is not for sale.”

http://www.theroar.com.au/2015/12/12/citys-mooy-not-for-sale/

Do you think this'll affect his development? Another year at Australia?

39 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

This is code for "show me the money!!!"

He'll go to a better league at the end of the season no doubt about it.

90% sure of this.

all the talk had been "not leaving in January ".

Worth remembering it was under Heart that this lad was signed. With our people winning a bidding war and somehow convincing him to come to a club that was last on the table and trained on a cow paddock. 

2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

90% sure of this.

Worth remembering it was under Heart that this lad was signed. With our people winning a bidding war and somehow convincing him to come to a club that was last on the table and trained on a cow paddock. 

I thought he was signed after city bought  the club halfway though the season. But hey after been someone that was coming off the bench at WSW to probably streets ahead in the Johnny Warren someone deserves a beer for convincing him to come to sunny Melbourne. 

Still think he'll stick with CFG for a bit.

if they can get Bratten a loan deal with a Championship club, they can get Mooy a loan deal with an EPL club or equivalent, but still provide him with a safety net if things don't work out. Also if he kills it at a much higher level and he still belongs to CFG, his value goes up more. 

They don't need the couple of million or so that may be on offer, so they can afford and are resourced to get the best outcome for Mooy and for CFG. 

4 hours ago, Shahanga said:

90% sure of this.

We didn't win a bidding war. It was reported that other teams were offering more money. I believe the determining factor was that he was all, but guaranteed 90 mins every match.

• Like 2

To keep with my posting theme:

The Force is strong in this one.

Aza is not perfect (luckily for the rest of the league) but he works so hard and is so involved in the game, that even if he doesn't pull off his first 3 or 4 opportunities he will still create a lot more and thus is always on the verge of blowing a game apart. 

Harry Kewell to Aaron Mooy: forget Middle East, test yourself in Europe

December 14, 2015

Michael Lynch

One of Australia's greatest ever players, Harry Kewell, has some blunt words of warning for Melbourne City star Aaron Mooy: don't waste the best years of your soccer life chasing money in the Middle East.

Mooy was linked earlier this month with a record $2 million bid from Saudi Arabian side Al-Nassr to move to the Gulf in the January transfer window, an offer City turned down.

"No, no, no," was Kewell's emphatic response when asked if Mooy should quit the A-League for the desert riches.

"It's a great place to go maybe near the end. But no, for a player that is talked about as our best player at the moment I think he should be mixing it up with the best players in the  world. 
"If he goes to Europe that's only going to help him, and help Australia."

Kewell is a bona fide Socceroo superstar who, along with a handful of contemporaries, put the Australian game on the map in Europe by playing for some of the biggest clubs in the English game.

And on Monday, as he took a break from coaching youngsters at a Harry Kewell Academy Clinic in Melbourne, he stressed that if  Mooy  – and any other talented young Australian – really wanted to make the most of their ability they should leave but only to measure themselves against the best in the world.

"The A-League is  growing, but the problem that we will always face here, in America and every other country is that Europe will always attract the best players," he said. 

"If you have half a chance of playing at the highest level you should go over there and test yourself against the best. Ultimately that is going to help Australia perform.

"I saw City won 4-0 on Sunday and he scored two goals, so he is going really well."

How far can the shaven headed midfielder go?

"Talk to him. Who knows what the limitation of a person is, it's down to them how far they want to take it. We are creating a good league now, we are creating a strong league," Kewell said.

"Do our best players have to go away? Not now, because we have got this good league going. But if he really wants to test himself yes, he should go across to Europe and see if he can mix it amongst the best."

Kewell had two seasons in the A-League, one with Melbourne Victory, one with Melbourne City, and he believes that the game is on an ever upward curve.

"Especially with Australia winning the Asian Cup, Australian football is generating a roll that not a lot of people can stop," he said.

Kewell is in Melbourne until the end of the week, running a clinic in Albert Park. It's a break from his day job, which is coaching the under-21 side at Premier League club Watford, a post he says gives him immense satisfaction.

"I love it. I am at a great club. Its fantastic to step into a level at the top. I have got a young exciting manager. I am learning from him every day, and I am enjoying my role, it can only help me progress in my life."

"I am at the under 21s level now. Do I want to go to the top? 100 per cent. Am I good enough for the top? I don't know ... I have to work like anybody else.

"This is a great way for me to learn my trade, see what it's like and hopefully make the grade."

His Watford commitments mean he will have to fly back to the UK on Friday, so he will miss the Victory v City derby on Saturday night. 

But that doesn't stop him taking an interest – or giving a tip.

"City ... yeah, as much as I love Victory, I enjoyed my time [there] but like I said, yeah, City," he said. 

"I know the Victory people are not going to like it. Most of the time people say sit on the fence but I won't do that, I say City.

"I have still got a few players [who are friends] that played there and I enjoyed it. It's vice versa [the same] with Victory, but I don't want to sit on the fence so there it is, done, City to win."

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/harry-kewell-to-aaron-mooy-forget-middle-east-test-yourself-in-europe-20151214-gln2ii.html

That's news? Mooy thinks it would be a dream come true to play in the EPL?

The hurdle for what passes for "news" seems to get lower and lower every year.

It is even worse when you saw the video in HS website says "Mooy on the move?"

That's news? Mooy thinks it would be a dream come true to play in the EPL?

The hurdle for what passes for "news" seems to get lower and lower every year.

Channel 7 were running low on AFL puff pieces and needing something to fill the time 

• Like 1

Melbourne City will refuse to sell Aaron Mooy in January, regardless of the price

15 December, 2015

David Davutovic

MELBOURNE City will refuse to sell superstar midfielder Aaron Mooy in January — at any price.

At least two more lucrative offers for Mooy are imminent from China and Europe, just a week after City rejected a record-breaking $2m deal from Saudi Arabians Al-Nassr.

The City Football Group wants to make a statement by refusing to sell and giving Melbourne City coach John van’t Schip every chance at success.

It’s understood that CFG heavyweights, headed by football chief Brain Marwood, will then sit down with Mooy at the end of the season and offer an overseas pathway through their expanding network.

While a move to Manchester City is unlikely, pre-season training is a possibility, while a move to New York City could also be tabled.

The transfer window opens in a fortnight but Mooy’s agent Paddy Dominguez revealed that ambitious City was set to remain defiant.

“It’s very clear that Melbourne City and CFG have no intention of selling Aaron to any club in the January transfer window,’’ Dominguez said.

“I say that because a $2m offer was rejected by a club and that’s record breaking for a domestic player.

“It’s not impossible, but if $2m isn’t enough, you can only guess what figure would be required for them to consider selling.

“The good thing from Aaron’s point of view is that they appreciate his efforts and value him so highly.’’

Overseas scouts will again watch Mooy in Saturday’s Melbourne derby at AAMI Park, with more $1m-plus offers set to be tabled during a frenetic January transfer window.

Daniel De Silva’s $1.5m move to Dutch club Roda JC from Perth Glory last August remains the biggest A-League transaction, though it’s a loan fee that will later become an outright transfer.

Guangzhou R & F’s $1.2m signing of Rostyn Griffiths from Central Coast in 2012 is the biggest outright transfer, closely followed by Melbourne Victory’s sales of Mark Milligan to Baniyas ($1.1m) and Mitch Langerak to Borussia Dortmund ($1m).

However Langerak’s add ons have meant that Victory has since pocketed another $800,000, making it the most lucrative deal of the last decade.

City’s stance is a complete reversal from the old cash-strapped Melbourne Heart days, when the likes of Curtis Good (Newcastle United for $500,000), Aziz Behich (Bursaspor, $400,000), Eli Babalj (Red Star and AZ Alkmaar, totalling over $650,000), Brendan Hamill (Seongnam, $350,000) and Michael Marrone (Shanghai Xenxin, $300,000) were all sold.

“Aaron is a great player, he is showing in the Socceroos he has the same importance that he has in the A-League,’’ van’t Schip said.

“If a player plays that well there is interest. I am confident that he can play in a very high and good level.’’

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-city-will-refuse-to-sell-aaron-mooy-in-january-regardless-of-the-price/news-story/e2c96a92eb0406694452ee00d30e4115

Aaron Mooy isn’t long for the A-League but he must wait for the right move, writes Adam Peacock

Adam Peacock

December 17, 2015

AT some point on Saturday night, Aaron Mooy will doing something on AAMI Park which will make you ponder when his last game in the A-League will be.

As much as we’d love to have no end date on watching him in our timezone, all the signs are he’ll be in another part of the world within 12 months.

Such is the role the A-League has in the world market, a market which is both football’s strength and weakness in this country. Incognito on arrival, Besart Berisha, Thomas Broich and Bruno Fornaroli have raised the standard.

Conversely, kids who grow up playing football in this country dream big, highlights from every part of the world — including here — are a source of inspiration. That won’t change, the internet and the simplicity of a youtube search has seen to that.

Mooy, even though he’s had a taste of life overseas, still has that bug. He wants to test himself on foreign soil.

Mooy cut through Perth Glory 3 weeks ago with ridiculous ease, his 40 metre tracer bullet pass to set up a goal was as effortless as it was breathtaking. Melbourne City officials were quick to point out no, he doesn’t have a release clause, and yes, he still has 2 ½ years left on his current deal which has him as one of the best paid Australian players — if not THE best paid — in the A League.

At just about any other club in the world, a situation like this would end in a lucrative move, both for player and said club.

But therein lies the conundrum. City Football Group don’t need lucrative moves for its best players to do what it wants to do in Australia. Win trophies, qualify for Asia.

For Mooy, he’s outside the cap already, so his view of a ‘lucrative’ move would be based on football, not finance.

An offer from Saudi Arabia last week was dismissed by his club. Even though the AFC released a list of the best clubs in Asia last week, and Saudi clubs occupied 4 of the top 11 spots, the sneers were audible. A Saudi move, is a money move. Same for the rest of West Asia, and as long as oil and gas is plundered from its earth, that perception will remain.

Harry Kewell is adamant Mooy belongs in Europe. Every former professional will say the same, and he won’t be waiting too long for offers from those parts to emerge, with preliminary interest garnered from every league in Europe, and a few in East Asia.

His agent, Paddy Dominguez, won’t be turning his phone off over Christmas, and says “Aaron wants to play at the highest possible level and is immensely flattered by the interest in him from overseas that his performances have generated”. A nice way to say the 25 year-old knows his value.

The Mooy camp also knows Melbourne City will be screening calls during Christmas. Any unknown number starting with a + won’t be answered. The club is adamant he won’t be going anywhere in January. Full. Stop.

And so they should. No Mooy, City won’t be winning a title this season. With Mooy, there’s a chance. Selling him would send every wrong signal about its intentions.

Mooy being inside the City Football Group adds a twist to this tale, given there are three available options abroad without having to be sold to anyone.

As good as he is here, one can’t imagine him waltzing into Manchester and demand the ball from Yaya Toure.

City’s clubs in Japan and the US are the other options.

Yokohama F Marinos is 20% owned by City. The J-League, with its 20 year headstart on professional football in Australia is a step up, and Yokohama didn’t fill its “Asian Foreign Spot” in 2015. However, technically gifted midfielders who aren’t Brazilian aren’t usually on the import shopping list in Japan.

New York City, another sibling inside the City Football Group has been mooted as a destination for Mooy. Having sat through a game at the iconic Yankee Stadium this season, if it’s all about football, such a move would be one sideways, not forward.

Lifestyle, yeah, perhaps Times Square could be viewed as a step up from Fed Square, and Empire State Building has a little more appreciation than Eureka tower, but Mooy’s life is football. His biggest lifestyle choice is what colour boots to wear.

Unless something astronomically ridiculous happens over the next month — Leicester City lead the Premier League, remember, so it can happen — Mooy will be in Melbourne until May at least.

Come then, it will be a different story. Both parties, you’d expect, will re-evaluate the situation, which gives Mooy so much more of a say.

If his performances stay the same, starting with the traditional Festive Derby tomorrow night, one way or another, it’ll feel like Christmas all over again for him.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/aaron-mooy-isnt-long-for-the-a-league-but-he-must-wait-for-the-right-move-writes-adam-peacock/story-e6frf4gl-1227659437665

Aaron Mooy’s future lies overseas but Melbourne City in no rush to cash in on star man

17 December 2015

David Davutovic

AARON Mooy’s burning desire to succeed comes down to an unusual fear.

He may only be 25 years old, but retirement scares the kid who’s known soccer his whole life.

The bad news for Melbourne City fans is that the A-League’s hottest property’s ambition is to make it overseas.

The good news? Mooy revealed that the club has recently told him that they will not sell him in January at any price, as revealed by the Herald Sun last Wednesday.

City coach John van’t Schip recently relayed ambitious City Football Group’s stance to the player.

“They’ve told me they don’t want to sell me in January and want to keep me until the end of the season,’’ Mooy told the Herald Sun.

“They don’t care about the money and they want me to be a part of it until the end of the year.

“The club has to accept (an offer), it’s not my option. I’ve got another two years on the contract after this season.’’

Mooy’s first overseas stint was a failure by his lofty standards and he’s determined to succeed on his second attempt, whenever that may be.

“I have ambitions to go over there, it pushes me every day, every game,’’ he said.

“I’m 25 now, you obviously want to do as much as you can before you retire, that’s always in my head. You’re gonna retire one day so you’ve got to do as much as you can and achieve as much as you can.

“Time goes by fast, the last five years have gone really fast and it scares me that I have to retire one day, so that drives me.

“But you don’t know what the future holds so I don’t try to focus on it, I just focus on where I am. It’s in the back of my head really.’’

Mooy’s decision to sign for Melbourne City has proved inspired, taking his game to another level and establishing himself in the Socceroos side.

While Western Sydney got him back on the radar, his time at his hometown club was bittersweet.

He was not a fringe player — he started 42 A-League games in two seasons — but was often overlooked for big games.

He also played a more defensive midfield role, and a more attacking role was one of the Melbourne City lures.

Coming from an environment where nutrition didn’t figure highly, Mooy learnt important lessons about professionalism at the Wanderers, but he revealed there were times he struggled to cope.

“When I came back from Scotland, Popa (Tony Popovic) wanted me to drop five kilos and I had to maintain it,’’ Mooy said.

“I don’t think we had a diet (at St Mirren), so it was a good learning experience.

“It was a big focus at the Wanderers, to maintain your weight. I was stepping on the scale everyday to make sure I didn’t go over my set weight but I don’t think it worked very well for me.

“Now I don’t really focus on it, it’s about getting my body to feel as good as I can. If I don’t feel right, I’m still hungry I’ll still eat and not worry about my weight.

“That’s probably helped me, and I feel strong and ready-to-go going into games.’’

Nutrition and the harsh realities of professional football were the last thing on the mind of a six-year-old who started playing for Carlingford Redbacks and was later infatuated with David Beckham and Zinedine Zidane.

After leaving for then English Premier League club Bolton as a teen, he had A-League options but chose to stay in the Euro “shop window”, moving to St Mirren.

He racked up 21 games in two years but will forever be in St Mirren folklore after scoring against Rangers and in the FA Cup.

“After I was in England for so long I wanted to give myself a chance in Europe first, but it was a difficult time for me,’’ he said.

“I had injuries, back problems, and I couldn’t consistently play.

“But I still started playing professionally there, still learnt a lot and it’s where I debuted.

“I still remember the first time I came on, I had a big smile on my face when I was running on, against Hearts away.’’

Mooy will leave our shores once again, and the $2m offer from Saudi Arabian club Al-Nassr and imminent offers from China reiterate the changing economy of world football.

But Europe remains the mecca.

The technically-gifted Mooy wasn’t suited to the physical Scottish Premier League and plans to make a more suitable move this time.

However he isn’t scared of challenging himself in one of the world’s biggest leagues.

“It depends really what league and what team. But I’m definitely confident I can perform,’’ he said.

“The last time I was in Europe I had no experience, now I do. I’m more mature, I’ve got games behind me.

“Definitely the style of football and the way the team plays (will be considered). Scotland didn’t suit me at all really, I was playing on the wing. I’m not a winger.

“If an offer comes in, I’m not just going to jump at anything. It’s got to be the right move. I’m happy here, my family’s happy, I’m not in a big rush, so we’ll see what happens.’’

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/melbourne-city/aaron-mooys-future-lies-overseas-but-melbourne-city-in-no-rush-to-cash-in-on-star-man/news-story/11fec2e368a2c253d00322a00a2d1b17

• Like 1

On 17/12/2015, 19:24:09, Murfy1 said:

The technically-gifted Mooy wasn’t suited to the physical Scottish Premier League and plans to make a more suitable move this time.

I would've thought the premier league would be pretty physical as well. I havn't seen any Scottish premier league games, is the EPL as physical as the SPL???