Melbourne Football

Aaron Mooy

MHFCRC

People are saying no excuses now like we've just made some massive change to our squad; we had Mooy, we still have Mooy and we signed him as a marquee on the day the FFA announces that the second marquee doesn't have to be Australian!

IMO Bruno is the bigger signing because now we actually have a dedicated striker who (hopefully) won't be doing a Ramsay, Williams or Mauk in front of goals! Just being able to finish simple sitters will see Bruno score 13+ goals!

• Like 1

People are saying no excuses now like we've just made some massive change to our squad; we had Mooy, we still have Mooy and we signed him as a marquee on the day the FFA announces that the second marquee doesn't have to be Australian!

IMO Bruno is the bigger signing because now we actually have a dedicated striker who (hopefully) won't be doing a Ramsay, Williams or Mauk in front of goals! Just being able to finish simple sitters will see Bruno score 13+ goals!

as Tesla said, I don't think he'll prove to necessarily be the out and out goalscoring type and it could take a while for him to settle, 13 goals is an unrealistic expectation

Hard to say what sort of impact he'll have since he's played 0 minutes with us but I hope he gets a run in our next FFA Cup match and I hope he does well

No more excuses left for JVS now with the squad that we have especially when you look at some of the stuff going on at a lot of the other clubs in such a small league.

Newy, CCM, and Brisbane: All with serious money issues.

WSW: Basically has had to have a complete overhaul of its lists and problems between the new owners and those staff remaining from the original seasons.

Adelaide: Has suffered major loss in terms of a Coach leaving who was a pivotal figure at the club and the driving force behind its culture.

Perth: Is still dealing with the aftershock of the salary cap crises. 

Only three other clubs in MV, SFC and Wellington have had as stable off seasons as we have and none have strengthened there squads anywhere near as well as we have... some of the above with issues will defy the odds but anything but Top Four is unacceptable now.

This. No excuses. No bullshit. We don't win something this season, he's gone.

Edited by HeartFc

as Tesla said, I don't think he'll prove to necessarily be the out and out goalscoring type and it could take a while for him to settle, 13 goals is an unrealistic expectation
Hard to say what sort of impact he'll have since he's played 0 minutes with us but I hope he gets a run in our next FFA Cup match and I hope he does well

Look, I hear what you're saying, but as much as I love him I don't want Mooy to be our golden boot next season; our forwards have to be scoring us goals.

Look, I hear what you're saying, but as much as I love him I don't want Mooy to be our golden boot next season; our forwards have to be scoring us goals.

I agree, Mooy scoring the most goals is embarrassing

But people expecting Fornaroli to come out all guns blazing might be a little premature until we can see what he can do. Novillo on the other hand is someone who we've seen enough of to pass judgement, and I think a lot of our goals must come from him.

Over the moon to see Mooy sign a 3 year contract. 

Looking forward to see him stepping up and playing even better this coming season. 

Just like other posters have said I really believe we have one of the better squads this season. With almost two months to go, there is plenty of time to get the team fit and ready to go for kick off.

Our history of failure is a combination of poor finishing, poor recruiting and unbelievably bad coaching.  At this point, there are still questions over those same things.

But more than anything, it pisses me off when JVS implies that all he really need to be successful was the money that CFG.  He arsed his way to the finals last season, and so far the FFA cup games showed the same JVS team traits. He remains the joker in the pack.

Meanwhile, Aaron Mooy has been elevated to marquee status by Melbourne City despite attracting strong interest from abroad.

It’s understood that Mooy accepted a mega $850,000-a-year-plus deal to stay with City.

The new deal, where he will earn in excess of $2.5m over three years, makes him one of the highest ever paid locals in the A-League, while the new deal usurps Mooy’s original contract, which had another year to run.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/pfa-not-happy-ffa-has-unilaterally-introduced-salary-cap-changes/story-fnk6pqhd-1227479631194

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

Besides being our best player and all that I wonder whether CFG saw some intrinsic value in keeping Mooy at almost "any cost" - Fan favourite, commitment to keeping best home grown players at the club, etc.

If they are serious about building the membership base then they need to keep popular stars - right now that means Aaron Mooy.

But CFG aren't a positive, apparently?

Old Heart entity probably didn't even have $850,000 in the bank.

No one is perfectly good or perfectly evil.  The same with organisations. 

Anyway Sidwell would have sold Mooy and used the money to balance the budget or make a profit and replace him with old mate Trufifo (or whatever his name is).  Even worse than that, we would have then had to read earnest posts by the naive going on about how good it was, just like "they" did when we sold all our other rising stars so Sidwell could balance his books.

Are you sure? I thought he was merely the chairman of the holding company.  Big difference between Chairman and owner.

it came up before and I think someone pointed out they are owned by their members and the sheik is just chairman/financier.

Either way, Melbourne City is run as a business, Al Jazira is run as a political tool , money spent on Melbourne City would be far more limited as it would be tied to what potential future returns it can generate, whereas at Al Jazira it would just be thrown around at whatever is needed to make the team successful.

Hence Al Jazira would be richer than Melbourne City.

But let's not forget all the other arab clubs in similar positions, as well as teams that are in better leagues (like the J-League) who still probably have large budgets than Melbourne City.

Shit, I'm not sure if we're not even number 1 in Australia. Both Sydney and Victory are up there in terms of budget. I'd guess Sydney is #1 if I had too.

TBH we're probably not even top 20 in Asia.

Edited by Tesla
  • Like 1

Yes, I think I went into it before and concluded that S. Mansour is merely the Chairman of Al Jazira Club and not the direct owner.

As far as club "wealth" is concerned, having wealthy owners is not necessarily reflected in the amount of cash that is available to the football club on a routine basis. What having wealthy backers does is enable cash to be spent as and when it is seen as beneficial to the long-term business plans of the club. We have seen this now on the building of the CFA Melbourne, and on the contract change involving Aaron Mooy. I've got no doubt that there will be other items like this into the future, but in general wealthy people don't accumulate wealth if they throw their money around imprudently so IMO we will not see money spent indiscriminately on an annual basis simply because it happens to be available. 

• Like 1

Just to add to what I said before, look at Al Jazira's foreign players.

Vucinic and Farfan, both came in on 6m euros transfer fees and apparently Farfan is on 10m a season, and Vucinic would surely be on similar.

But we give our best player a new contract worth $800k a season and ol mate over here is claiming we are the richest club in Asia :droy: 

Edited by Tesla

Just to add to what I said before, look at Al Jazira's foreign players.

Vucinic and Farfan, both came in on 6m euros transfer fees and apparently Farfan is on 10m a season, and Vucinic would surely be on similar.

But we give our best player a new contract worth $800k a season and ol mate over here is claiming we are the richest club in Asia :droy: 

If u comparing the foreign players or budget, I would say there will be 10 teams in China is spending way more than us

Yes, I think I went into it before and concluded that S. Mansour is merely the Chairman of Al Jazira Club and not the direct owner.

As far as club "wealth" is concerned, having wealthy owners is not necessarily reflected in the amount of cash that is available to the football club on a routine basis. What having wealthy backers does is enable cash to be spent as and when it is seen as beneficial to the long-term business plans of the club. We have seen this now on the building of the CFA Melbourne, and on the contract change involving Aaron Mooy. I've got no doubt that there will be other items like this into the future, but in general wealthy people don't accumulate wealth if they throw their money around imprudently so IMO we will not see money spent indiscriminately on an annual basis simply because it happens to be available. 

there were some very wealthy individuals on the Sidwell board. We possibly had the wealthiest board in Australia. A perfect example of it not always flowing through to the club.

• Like 1