Melbourne Football

Matchday 16: v Adelaide United, 5:00 Hindmarsh

heartrate

Disappointed we didn't win, of course, but things are looking up under our new/old coach JVS. Undefeated in 3 out of 4 matches, our first win in eons, and we got 2 draws (and 1 loss) in 3 away games (Heart have been awful in away matches for a while now).

Kept the ball fairly well in the first half, but we became pretty poor with possession the the second half, and just defended and held on for dear life after we went 2-1 up. JVS tried to improve our midfield in the second half by replacing our striker Mifsud with midfielder Germano, and it helped our midfield in ways, but our possession was still unimpressive.

Behich had a shocker. Haven't seem him play that bad for a while. 

Both goals we conceded came from the team weakly defending ball crossed into the box. Both fullbacks were unimpressive with the first goal, and I largely blame the keeper Redmayne for the second goal (he was actually inside the goal), as I reckon he could have punched it.

Engelaar was a positive, hopefully he's even fitter next week. Us actually scoring from a set piece was a positive as well. 

Onwards and Upwards. We play Sydney FC at AAMI next week, a match we really can win, and if we do we'll have some good momentum.

• Like 1

Well I enjoyed watching the Heart I suppose if honest city have bought into the league through buying them and thats going to be the starting point . what was on offer today will probably be what is on offer until the end of your season ,then I think you will see a major clear out of players . I cannot see any of those players featuring in your future and nor should they . Very soon the A league will be turned on its head and you will be THE team that sets the standards , if true that Sydney turned down city then they have made the biggest mistake in A league history as will soon be shown to them.

Out of Likes!

Regarding Sydney FC, well you know how rich Russian football club owners can be like! haha

What surprises me about SFC is that they have plenty of money - they even convinced Del Piero to play for them - yet they hire shit coach after shit coach and currently Frank Farina is I reckon 2 more losses away from the sack! Which coincidentally will be after they lose to Heart next weekend!  ;)

Heart seems to be the coach killer team; i.e. lose to Heart and you'll be getting fired the next day; happened to Perth last season, Newcastle Jets this season and I'm predicting it will happen again next weekend after we beat SFC at home  :D

First time I brought my mate to the Imp, he loved it. Keen for the next away game

I did not even think about coming to the Imp and I was in the city at 5pm today before I made my way home to watch the game on the couch!

Plus my wife was out with the baby too so I had every chance of making it there with minimal whinging! Someone facepalm me please!!

Out of interest, what's the average away support like in the A-League? Do clubs have to give a certain percentage of the total capacity to the away fans, etc?

Don think they need to as the games are rarely sold out. Travelling distance is the biggest issue impacting away support. Every away game is a plane ride away.

No train travel?

Unlike a lot of European countries we don't have High Speed Rail of any kind. A train from Melbourne to Adelaide takes hours, and is somewhat expensive.

The UK actually has no high-speed rail either. Our rail network is considered slow and outdated by most of Western Europe. But fair enough, I take your point.

Adelaide is our shortest trip at 725 km or 450 miles one way.

looking forward to watch the next game. wonder how's the atmosphere at home. i quite liked what i heard from the Adelaide crowd today.

Although small in crowd numbers (but growing at a steady pace), football in Australia generates the best atmosphere. A crowd of 10,000 football fans makes more noise than a 70,000 crowd at an Australian Rules Game.

Not a bad result today, especially considering we didn't play extremely well. Behich stood out in having a shocking game but many others had mediocre games. Obviously very disappointing to concede such a soft goal late on when we could've had our first away win in ages, but overall not bad.

Well I enjoyed watching the Heart I suppose if honest city have bought into the league through buying them and thats going to be the starting point . what was on offer today will probably be what is on offer until the end of your season ,then I think you will see a major clear out of players . I cannot see any of those players featuring in your future and nor should they . Very soon the A league will be turned on its head and you will be THE team that sets the standards , if true that Sydney turned down city then they have made the biggest mistake in A league history as will soon be shown to them.

Out of Likes!

Regarding Sydney FC, well you know how rich Russian football club owners can be like! haha

What surprises me about SFC is that they have plenty of money - they even convinced Del Piero to play for them - yet they hire shit coach after shit coach and currently Frank Farina is I reckon 2 more losses away from the sack! Which coincidentally will be after they lose to Heart next weekend!  ;)

Heart seems to be the coach killer team; i.e. lose to Heart and you'll be getting fired the next day; happened to Perth last season, Newcastle Jets this season and I'm predicting it will happen again next weekend after we beat SFC at home  :D

Ran out of likes. LIKE

Red or dead yep we know about ogliarch owners and there thinking .What Heart fans have to realise is its not all about the money the sheik and his team have long term vision coupled with insane amounts of cash,the vision of where they see your club is just as important as the money . ADUG are not looking to make a quick fast buck out of you and move on, they are looking at the long haul very soon you will own the A league not only on the playing field but influencing decisions off it as well. The owners of Sydney probably didn't want to lose out on a small cash cow that provides them with a decent income now what they have lost is the ability to influence and shape Asianic football for generations to come .

looking forward to watch the next game. wonder how's the atmosphere at home. i quite liked what i heard from the Adelaide crowd today.

Yarraside will have to sing louder and prouder next week to impress our new friends!!

Yarraside will have to sing louder and prouder next week to impress our new friends!!

it also depends on where they set up the mics !! Missed a few games this season and on tv about 5 away fans often sound louder than the home fans because of the set up.  :angry:

Red or dead yep we know about ogliarch owners and there thinking .What Heart fans have to realise is its not all about the money the sheik and his team have long term vision coupled with insane amounts of cash,the vision of where they see your club is just as important as the money . ADUG are not looking to make a quick fast buck out of you and move on, they are looking at the long haul very soon you will own the A league not only on the playing field but influencing decisions off it as well. The owners of Sydney probably didn't want to lose out on a small cash cow that provides them with a decent income now what they have lost is the ability to influence and shape Asianic football for generations to come .

Very much this. Its Heart that will drag the A-league into the 21st century going forward. Its Heart that will dominate and determine a future ACL going forward.

HRH Mansour does not do second best. He plans very long term. He wants the very best but it has to be n a certain way that reflects well on himself and Abu Dhabi and of course, the club, its fans and the community it serves.

You will become the biggest supported team in Australia and i will also say this, thanks to his investment, football in your country will without a doubt overtake the AFL at some point down the road.

My stream cut out early in the second half so I missed the best (and worst) of it.  If the City way is the Heart way in the future, you will not try to defend a lead but keep trying to score more.  This makes for very exciting football as the lead can be lost by being too adverturous as much as by sitting back if those extra goals aren't forthcoming.

So, Sydney at home on Friday at 7.30pm?  If today's was 6.30am, then I make the Sydney game 9.00am UK time and a game well worth catching - a benefit of being retired!

• Like 2

Two things.

1- Yarra side boys did well today singing till the end, sticking together when things got a bit heated with the opposition.

2- Please stop protecting Murdoca, today was a perfict example of how he gets found out, 8/10 times its a backwards pass and he just runs around like a headless chook.(Top bloke, great energy, but his in the most important position in the team) Sorry Murdoca but don't expect a seat on flight Etihad come pre season.

Two things.

1- Yarra side boys did well today singing till the end, sticking together when things got a bit heated with the opposition.

2- Please stop protecting Murdoca, today was a perfict example of how he gets found out, 8/10 times its a backwards pass and he just runs around like a headless chook.(Top bloke, great energy, but his in the most important position in the team) Sorry Murdoca but don't expect a seat on flight Etihad come pre season.

I like that, who gets the golden plane ticket!

My stream cut out early in the second half so I missed the best (and worst) of it.  If the City way is the Heart way in the future, you will not try to defend a lead but keep trying to score more.  This makes for very exciting football as the lead can be lost by being too adverturous as much as by sitting back if those extra goals aren't forthcoming.

So, Sydney at home on Friday at 7.30pm?  If today's was 6.30am, then I make the Sydney game 9.00am UK time and a game well worth catching - a benefit of being retired!

It might be a bitter-sweet moment for you; seeing your sister club in Red & White defeat the club wearing sky blue! haha

watched the game live then had to go back to bed for some kip!

Impressions:

- better standard then I expected (sorry if this sounds patronising, its not meant to be);

- Kewell really put a shift in - impressed;

- Really important to recognise that Heart came from behind to take the lead away from home- credit deserved for that;

- last minute goals always a risk - I think Heart sat back after scoring and invited pressure. Knowing when to control possession is also part of this;

- Engelaar needs to dominate midfield more - I assume he's getting back into match fitness, but he needs to bully the other midfield when fit;

- Mifsud didnt impress - ignoring the 'miss' before the penalty, he didnt seem to make runs to anticipate balls, often just standing there to see where the ball ended up - as a result, he was often behind defenders;

- Felt sorry for Behich - clearly lacking confidence and this affected him I think.

Next game on TV is Vs Sydney at 8:30 am next week - I'll be up for that cheering on my new second club!

keep the faith guys, things are looking better.

• Like 4

More interestingly, the City way will involve a tactical revolution angled towards passing your way through the opposition with the crosses from the by-line only being of secondary importance, which should be much smoother on the eye. But seriously though, I actually really quite enjoyed that game.

watched the game live then had to go back to bed for some kip!

Impressions:

- better standard then I expected (sorry if this sounds patronising, its not meant to be);

- Kewell really put a shift in - impressed;

- Really important to recognise that Heart came from behind to take the lead away from home- credit deserved for that;

- last minute goals always a risk - I think Heart sat back after scoring and invited pressure. Knowing when to control possession is also part of this;

- Engelaar needs to dominate midfield more - I assume he's getting back into match fitness, but he needs to bully the other midfield when fit;

- Mifsud didnt impress - ignoring the 'miss' before the penalty, he didnt seem to make runs to anticipate balls, often just standing there to see where the ball ended up - as a result, he was often behind defenders;

- Felt sorry for Behich - clearly lacking confidence and this affected him I think.

Next game on TV is Vs Sydney at 8:30 am next week - I'll be up for that cheering on my new second club!

keep the faith guys, things are looking better.

One of my two main gripes with our current manager. At least we are not sitting back for the whole game like we used too under JVS for away games.

It might be a bitter-sweet moment for you; seeing your sister club in Red & White defeat the club wearing sky blue! haha

Actually, I'm pretty relaxed about it, and for three very good reasons.

• Heart don't play in an all red shirt and white or black shorts.  That would be really difficult if you did.  I like red as a colour (some don't and won't have anything to do with it) and love our red and black kits.
  • Sydney won't be in sky blue and white.  It is the colour combination that's important.  Probably most traumatic for Heart's Spurs fans!
  • I have no special affinity for Sydney FC, whereas youHeart supporters seem to be a good bunch of blokes, very like City supporters in your treatment of your (pre-takeover) situation with gallows humour.

I'll tell you what was disconcerting though: seeing City play in Naples in the Champions League the year before last.  Napoli looked like City and City looked like AC Milan!  Very discombobulating.

After the 1st ever game I went to Hidmarsh I learned a hat is a necessity. So hot!

Such a standard thing for us to hit the lead like that and then concede. That 2nd goal was top 3 moments for me in terms of utter excitement at a game. Yet afterwards I never felt confident we'd hold on and we didn't. Fck I'd have loved to have held on. So badly! Us fans deserved it. Any way...

Celebrating that 2nd goal repeadly fist pumping the air, screaming my balls off, whilst holding my shoes is something I won't forget. Hahaha

• Like 1

Actually, I'm pretty relaxed about it, and for three very good reasons.

• Heart don't play in an all red shirt and white or black shorts.  That would be really difficult if you did.  I like red as a colour (some don't and won't have anything to do with it) and love our red and black kits.
  • Sydney won't be in sky blue and white.  It is the colour combination that's important.  Probably most traumatic for Heart's Spurs fans!
  • I have no special affinity for Sydney FC, whereas youHeart supporters seem to be a good bunch of blokes, very like City supporters in your treatment of your (pre-takeover) situation with gallows humour.

I'll tell you what was disconcerting though: seeing City play in Naples in the Champions League the year before last.  Napoli looked like City and City looked like AC Milan!  Very discombobulating.

Hahahahahahaha. Yes being a Spurs fan was hard to wear red and white. But when supporting Heart it's red and white when watching Spurs it's white and blue. Seeing that they are in opposite  sides of the world and I love football it hasn't been a problem so far.  :)

This is the first time I've been able to post in like 2 weeks after being overseas so I'd just like to say:

a.) Fuck you Melbourne Heart for winning the first game of the season against Newcastle which was the first time I haven't watched you play this year.

b.) Thank you Manchester City (my EPL team too) for giving me hope for this club once again.

c.) Fuck you Ryan Griffiths, you've got one of the ugliest mugs in the league.

• Like 1

This is the first time I've been able to post in like 2 weeks after being overseas so I'd just like to say: a.) Fuck you Melbourne Heart for winning the first game of the season against Newcastle which was the first time I haven't watched you play this year.b.) Thank you Manchester City (my EPL team too) for giving me hope for this club once again.c.) Fuck you Ryan Griffiths, you've got one of the ugliest mugs in the league.

Put blame where it belongs. Redmayne.

• Like 1