Melbourne Football

The Jason Hoffman Appreciation thread

Ando

If John Aloisi replaces an up and coming talent like Jeremy Walker with Jason Hoffman, then that tells me and I think plenty of other folks here who should be replaced. 

Let's wait till it happens, but I just don't believe that Jason Hoffman will be a starting eleven player in the Derby.

• Like 1

If John Aloisi replaces an up and coming talent like Jeremy Walker with Jason Hoffman, then that tells me and I think plenty of other folks here who should be replaced. 

Agreed. It's wrong of people to be taking it out on Hoffman. He was offered a contract - he accepted it. We can't blame him for doing that. And if he's selected in the team, he plays and does his best. We can't blame him for doing that.

It's the same with any of the players. Any "blame" rests with the football department.

In fairness, Clint Bolton said at the open day that Jason Hoffman was selected to put pressure on Jeremy Walker for the right back spot. I took from this that the right back position is Walker's to loose, and I expect him to be our first choice right back this season.

With Germano's injuries, it makes sense to have further cover in this position. Also, like our former left back at Newcastle who was rested a lot last season to help him develop at a good pace, we don't want Walker to fade out.

Agreed. It's wrong of people to be taking it out on Hoffman. He was offered a contract - he accepted it. We can't blame him for doing that. And if he's selected in the team, he plays and does his best. We can't blame him for doing that.

It's the same with any of the players. Any "blame" rests with the football department.

I think it's more like Jason Hoffman Talking up Jason Hoffman, that's the way i read it anyway.

In fairness, Clint Bolton said at the open day that Jason Hoffman was selected to put pressure on Jeremy Walker for the right back spot. I took from this that the right back position is Walker's to loose, and I expect him to be our first choice right back this season.

With Germano's injuries, it makes sense to have further cover in this position. Also, like our former left back at Newcastle who was rested a lot last season to help him develop at a good pace, we don't want Walker to fade out.

You are all forgetting that Jason Hoffman is a genuinely good bloke.

If he played as well as he is a person he would be a very good player.

Ease up on the personal attacks, keep it purely talent related, cheers.

I think that there are a number of good points here.

having watched Hoffman develop over the last few seasons (or the distinct lack there of) i would find it concerning if he started against the mongs.  

but we do remember that it is still preseason and the club (for whatever reason) has re-signed Hoffman.  for the most part, it could be the club just making the best of an awkward situation.  in football it's easy to see the problem, harder to fix it - even guys like Kalmar and Nabbout (both coming from state league) still struggle for consistency in the A League.  i hope that through all of this, the move of Hoffman to RB is just to provide competition there and provide extra cover but will just have to wait and see.

personally, i woulda thought the club would have been better off going for Sam Gallagher in the off season and releasing Hoffman since Gallagher has both A League experience and actually is a defender but that is for the club to decide.  

and like marteaux Hoffman comes across as a good guy, just not that good on the field.

• Like 1

Fair enough he's a good bloke, need a policy on signing up players cause there good blokes :up:

Maybe andy harper can be our next signing? He's an awesome bloke

Baz can u pls post the Morwell Gif.

I will be very disappointed if Baz actually does.

We should offer Hoffmann to Victory on a free transfer.

Shit!  All transfers of players between A League clubs are still free.

There goes that idea.

Anyway, how many folks here think Ange Postecoglou will take Hoffmann?

Am I alone in thinking that Ange Postecoglou is not interested in the slightest in our Hoffmann, and if we play Hoffmann in the Derby will aim to exploit that "strength" of ours?

• Like 1

There goes that idea.

Am I alone in thinking that Ange Postecoglou is not interested in the slightest in our Hoffmann, and if we play Hoffmann in the Derby will aim to exploit that "strength" of ours?

I'm so lost

We should offer Hoffmann to Victory on a free transfer.Shit!  All transfers of players between A League clubs are still free. There goes that idea. Anyway, how many folks here think Ange Postecoglou will take Hoffmann?Am I alone in thinking that Ange Postecoglou is not interested in the slightest in our Hoffmann, and if we play Hoffmann in the Derby will aim to exploit that "strength" of ours?

For the love of god, explain what u mean please....

Makes much more sense if....

[ :lowy: ]

There goes that idea.

[ /   :lowy:   ]

Edited by Dylan

There goes that idea.

It's alright. I think I can relate to the way you think.

There goes that idea.

drugs-are-bad-mkay-gif-5211.png

We should offer Hoffmann to Victory on a free transfer.Shit!  All transfers of players between A League clubs are still free. There goes that idea. Anyway, how many folks here think Ange Postecoglou will take Hoffmann?Am I alone in thinking that Ange Postecoglou is not interested in the slightest in our Hoffmann, and if we play Hoffmann in the Derby will aim to exploit that "strength" of ours?

You sure you want to admit that

You sure you want to admit that

What, take a thought and run with it?

Sort of like a personal focus group. :)

Edited by Peter

Folks, I'm a bit surprised at the reaction to my post. Was I too cryptic?

1. I was having a go at there being no transfer fees allowed between A League clubs.

2. I was having a go at Victory  -  that's why we'd offer them players who we think are not good enough for us.

3. I was also having a subtle dig at our list Management by suggesting Ange Postecoglou wouldn't be interested in Hoffmann - but we resigned him.

4. I was stating what I thought was obvious - that Ange Postecoglou will exploit Hoffmann if he plays as a right back for us.    

He may have been beaten a few times and required plenty of support but at least he didn't dive into any poor challenges or find himself out of position when they were attacking.

When he had the ball he didn't give it away too easily but when he had chances for a couple of counter-attacking chances, IIRC he over hit the passes out to touch or for a goal kick which could've released Dugandzic(?) into plenty of space.

Was pretty frustrated with Hoff to be honest.

Paine was terrorizing him all night and he was constantly being caught out of position, not a great game for him at all.

to be fair to Hoff, they were targeting him pretty hard. He was helped numerous times, but it was usually when he had two or three attackers coming to him.

overall I dont think he played bad and wouldn't care if he was our backup RB behind walker.

However I can see JA persisting with him.

I was told be a very reliable source that JVS actually signed Hoffman with the intention of converting him to a RB.

I actually rate Hoffman as a great utility

:droy:

Take it from someone who championed the Hoffman cause for 2 years straight.. Regardless if he held his own in the derby there's no way he should keep Jez out of the team.

He held his own against Pain, but not without constant assistance from Murdocca, Paddy and Weilart. He'll come up against some more established opponents and one mistake can cost us the game..

I think Hoffman could be a decent option for us at RB, but I think he would be a much better option as a wing back, especially as a somewhat more attacking wing back (eg Juventus) which is actually quite a hard role to have the right skillset for but can turn an average player into a quite valuable player if they do posses the required skills.

In b4 Hoffman becomes a key player.

Edited by Tesla

He did better than I expected, although he never seemed that keen to try and win the ball of the attacking players, saw him back track a lot until help arrived. I see that the club is trying to get a back up going for the spot, but he's no more than a second stringer for now. He might be preferred when the club needs a defensive disciplined RB, but I reckon we will struggle majorly against some of the more fleet footed trickster wingers in the A-League.

I think Hoffman could be a decent option for us at RB, but I think he would be a much better option as a wing back, especially as a somewhat more attacking wing back (eg Juventus) which is actually quite a hard role to have the right skillset for but can turn an average player into a quite valuable player if they do posses the required skills.

In b4 Hoffman becomes a key player.

In all seriousness we actually do have four Center Halves which means we could actually play with a back three (Wielaert, Paddy K, Paddy G)  and two wing backs in Aziz and Hoff...

But that would be simply Undutch and therefore currently Unaustralian.

• Like 1