Melbourne Football

Youth Derby: Sunday 12th @ Epping Stadium

LR9

Golgol I now officially hate that cunt. Fuck off from melbourne heart.

He has been dropped for a reason when JVS came along and it will be a wake up call for him to move his ass more. Can't hate a player who has been promising last season and now this season it's just not his.Gtfo plz no h8

Not as a person. I dislike him very very much as a player. Useless waste of space in any team. Two one on ones with the keeper he can't score. Makes late runs cause he's too fuckin stupid and lazy to realise that the ball might be crossed. GTFO.

• Like 1

Golgol I now officially hate that cunt. Fuck off from melbourne heart.

He has been dropped for a reason when JVS came along and it will be a wake up call for him to move his ass more. Can't hate a player who has been promising last season and now this season it's just not his.Gtfo plz no h8

Not as a person. I dislike him very very much as a player. Useless waste of space in any team. Two one on ones with the keeper he can't score. Makes late runs cause he's too fuckin stupid and lazy to realise that the ball might be crossed. GTFO.

Probably this.

The following are my thoughts on the game.

Firstly, Melbourne Victory were awful, especially at the back, so its difficult to judge where our players are all at, but overall the performance seemed quite good.

Marko Stevanja - Made a couple of really good saves, especially one on one, I've not seem much of him in his career but he looked solid when he was required to play the ball out from the back and wanted to move it on quickly, also had the ability to send a monster ball up field. Conceded once and had one come off the post, so overall a decent performance.

Jeremy Walker - Only played the first half but looked fairly useful, combined well with Engelaar while the big dutchie was on the field and generally had a good game, even though in the first half he wasn't called upon to do too much as Heart were in the ascendency, looked to get forward at all times.

Andrew Mullet/Ross Archibald - Its quite possible that we've added at another few names to the logjam that occurs in the heart of our defence, both look really comfortable with the ball at their feet and looked good in the air due to some woeful balls from Lawrence Thomas (Victory GK who looks to have gone backwards in a great rush) both pushed up into the defensive midfield spot when Petreski or Engelaar dropped into the central defence spot. Liked both of their work.

Sam Mitchinson - Comfortably man of the match for me, was whipping in truly vicious balls from the left and combined fantastically with Garrucio on the left, when Aziz goes back to Turkey, providing he doesn't come back again on loan, should probably be given a shot at the left back spot, also had to deal with Anthony Proia who looked pretty much the most dangerous player for MV, looked very fit too, while players were dropping left, right and centre due to cramp, he was still going strong, which was one of my issues with him last year. Would like to see more of him in the first team squad.

Phil Petreski - Looked great when combined with Engelaar and a little less strong when combined with Retre. Still not as vocal as you'd like from a captain, even at youth level, plays the pivot role very well, although its unlikely that he'll displace Orlando from that spot. Encouraging signs from the young man

Paulo Retre - Initially played as an attacking midfielder (where he wasn't all that effective) but looked better when he moved back when Engelaar went off, doesn't excel himself but does a lot of simple things well, seemed to get a bit down on himself for a little while, which is something he doesn't need to do as his play is generally quite good. Busy little defensive midfielder who harries and harrasses well, but I'd say Petreski had the better day with the ball at his feet.

Ersan Kaya - Had a decent game, played on the right wing and I thought he combined better with Germano then with Walker, as the former was willing to get past him and gave him a lot more space, won a few balls in the air, which wasn't something I'd seen before from him.

Ben Garrucio - The more I see of him, the more I like, probably best exemplified by the amount of balls he received from Engelaar, got wide had a reliable and ace first touch on most occasions and always looked to do something with the ball, could have probably scored early on and combined very well with Mitchinson, which bodes very well for Melbourne Hearts left side going forward. Should get a chance in the first team sooner rather then later.

GolGol Mebrahtu - Its not often that you say a player who scored a goal and put in a good corner which lead to a goal played poorly, but for mine, did nothing to enhance his first team selection (even if he's likely to get the spot anyways due to the suspension of D-Mac) still looked absolutely lost when defending up front and when you're the only one up there, it simply isn't good enough, switched to the wing where he looked largely ineffective and made a few selfish decisions, even though the game was wrapped up. Missed a few one on ones too.

Orlando Engelaar - Was class, although its difficult to tell how far away his fitness actually is, he's a fairly laid back character on the field and didn't seem to be pushing himself too far, although that may well be how he handles himself on the pitch, his long passing out wide was simple devine, played balls around 5 yards in the air which fizzed off the turf in front of both wingers and one great one for GolGol too, showed a little bit of pace on one chase back, which was also promising. Was in good spirits when he came off.

Jonathon Germano - Groans were had by more then a few people around me when he replaced Walker in the second half, I expected him to be slow, out of touch and off the pace. He was none of these things, popped up to score a goal from right back and was bombing forward at every opportunity, which now makes 3 right backs for our team. Got up and down the field extremely well for someone who was still four weeks away (?), which could lend credence to the idea that the club didn't want him. Played wonderfully and was probably the best on the park in the second half.

Marcos Schroen - Lost his place in the starting line-up when Engelaar started but made a lot of good decisions when he did come on, had a very acrobatic finish and reminds me very much of Stefan Mauk, both in performance and blonde mops. Hit a few absolute crackers during the warm-up too, I think he could be a serious player, although his defensive work left a lot to be desired, especially when paired up with GolGol. Could definitely see him moving into the first team at some point.

Luke O'Dea - Seemed to have a case of the Mebrahtu's, didn't chase even though he was coming off the bench, had a couple of nice turns and probably should have had a goal. Didn't play a lot of time, so its hard to judge his performance.

How did we win 3-1?

Heart claim derby honours in NYL

12 January 2014

Melbourne Heart has levelled the 2013/2014 Foxtel National Youth League Melbourne derby ledger with a comfortable 3-1 win over a depleted Melbourne Victory at Epping Stadium on Sunday.

The Heart dominated the clash from start to finish and were rewarded for their efforts with a deserved 3-1 win and goals for GolGol Mebrahtu, Jonatan Germano and Marcus Schroen before a late consolation goal from Victory’s Anthony Proia.

The clash also marked the long-awaited return of Melbourne Heart marquee player Orlando Engelaar who played out a solid half-hour first-half cameo, primarily distributing balls over distance from deep and covering the back four.

From the outset, Heart had winners all over the pitch with Ersin Kaya, Paulo Retre and Jeremy Walker generating much attacking threat down the right flank looking dangerous and creating opportunities with winger and full back interchanging freely.

The Victory struggled to cope with Heart’s aggressive pressing and were limited to only a few chances with Francesco Stella and Luka Prelevic toiling hard to try and make something happen.

Benjamin Garuccio won a free-kick on the edge of the box in the 17th minute which Mebrahtu scored via a wicked deflection off the wall that wrong-footed Lawrence Thomas in the Victory goal to give Heart the lead.

Mebrahtu had three golden opportunities in the first half to further add to his tally being released through the centre by the Heart midfield to be denied on each occasion by the onrushing Victory keeper who made himself big one-on-one.

Victory’s only good opportunity of the first half came through Stella releasing Christopher Cristaldo through the middle one-on-one but Marko Stevanja was quick to come off his line and block the forward’s shot.

Against the complexion of the match, Victory almost found themselves level early in the second half with Stella releasing Prelevic in the box whose shot across the face of goal rebounded off the post and back into play in the 51st minute.

Heart substitute Marcus Schroen caused many problems for Victory after coming on, most notably crossing for Jonathan Germano who had found himself in space in the box to head over Thomas into the far corner in the 55th minute to double

Heart’s advantage and gain some deserved breathing space.

Heart went further ahead in the 67th minute seizing on some poor marking from a corner as Ross Archibald was able to head the ball back across the face of goal unchallenged to Schroen who hooked the ball in over his head past the outstretched palms of Thomas to score a goal his game had deserved after a number of attempts on goal.

Victory did score a late consolation goal with the last play of the day as Anthony Proia played a neat one-two with Prelevic resulting in a simple tap-in from 6 yards in the third minute of second-half added time to give a level of respectability to the score line which perhaps did not reflect Heart’s polished domination of the encounter.

Melbourne Heart 3 (Mebrahtu 17m, Germano 55m, Schroen 67m)

Melbourne Victory 1 (Proia 90+3m)

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/Heart-claim-derby-honours-in-NYL/82964

Edited by Murfy1

So pleasing to see a team in red and white win, and win comfortably. And win against Victory, with Engelaar and Germano both putting in solid performances after long injuries.

I pretty much agree with Tommykins and others on the player performances. IMO, there was no clear standout performance though, but instead a team full of players that all performed impressively.

Walker was his usual self, real good going forward. And he had a good game defensively. Retre and Petreski both looked good in midfield, and both were sensible and didn't overplay or attempt too difficult passes.

I thought Garuccio looked a bit too eager to impress. He positioned himself well and has a good first touch, but I don't think he got into top gear.

Good to see Golgol score, and from a free kick. He was generally pretty good with his free kicks. But I agree with others that he'd go missing or under-perform for too much of the match. And like seemingly every Heart player at the moment, he was very disappointing with his one on ones.

Schroen was impressive. Looked very comfortable on the ball, and he showed good instincts and skills to score his goal. Might be good for a call up soon, especially since with Mauk away and Migliorini leaving soon we'll be a bit short on midfielders.

Engelaar had little time to impress, but I thought he put in an impressive 30 minute debut performance. Very tidy on the ball, great passing range and his fitness looked pretty good IMO. Although I didn't see him defend much, and he doesn't really buzz around like Murdocca, but I reckon that's because he's more of a smart DM who doesn't exhaust himself too much because he reads the game so well (like Pirlo, someone you don't see running around constantly).

Liked what I saw from Germano, a good all around performance from him, but as I said in the Germano thread the question with him has always been his fitness. If he can stay fit and put in solid performances for the remainder of the season, it'll be tough to make a decision regarding his future.

I hope the Heart senior team gets back to promoting youth, because this club does pretty well with its young players. I don't mean we should rush them all into the senior team at once. I simply mean that we should provide occasional call-ups, to provide incentive to our top performing young players, and we should provide a decent amount of chances to quality young players that seem ready to step up to the senior team, like we did in our second and third seasons. Things might be haywire with the senior team, but good things are happening with the youth team and the incoming youth academy.

All up, a good day out at Epping.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1

I hope the Heart senior team gets back to promoting youth, because this club does pretty well with its young players. I don't mean we should rush them all into the senior team at once. I simply mean that we should provide occasional call-ups, to provide incentive to our top performing young players, and we should provide a decent amount of chances to quality young players that seem ready to step up to the senior team, like we did in our second and third seasons. Things might be haywire with the senior team, but good things are happening with the youth team and the incoming youth academy.

All up, a good day out at Epping.

W

It's good to hear this because who would normally know, the games are barely reported, the team plays in the middle of nowhere and normally watched by nobody but family. The players never get promoted. Hopefully this will change.

How does Hoffman now get anywhere near the matchday squad if Walker & Germano are both fit?

The same reason he has all season, because he is a better player than Walker.

He fitted better into JA's game plan who wanted his RB to stay close to the back 4 and rarely venture forward. Even then he was frequently passed and needed help from another player and this usually pulled the defensive structure out of shape. I'm not sure of this is what JVS wants or that Hoff can fit into that role better than Walker or even Germano

How does Hoffman now get anywhere near the matchday squad if Walker & Germano are both fit?

The same reason he has all season, because he is a better player than Walker.

He fitted better into JA's game plan who wanted his RB to stay close to the back 4 and rarely venture forward. Even then he was frequently passed and needed help from another player and this usually pulled the defensive structure out of shape. I'm not sure of this is what JVS wants or that Hoff can fit into that role better than Walker or even Germano

Germano wouldn't have to do a lot to be better than both of them TBH

MFootball has been forced to take down all their NYL highlights packages. Absolute madness.

sometimes you think the FFA just want to play the bad guy. Fucking ridiculous

Without knowing too much about the situation it sounds very similar to other sporting bodies in Australia. Total and utter control is the name of their game.

Somewhere around 600 or so I'd suggest, but someone might have a better idea. They should definitely hire the security guys that were doing the pat downs at the front gate, fantastic banter.

Also, Michael Lynch, The Age journalist drives a really old car. That's all I can remember outside of the game.

So good to get very positive reports on a number of our younger players. The way forward for the club is a squad with the right balance between some older players of the mentoring type and our own young lads coming up through the ranks, plus 3-4 visa players to add a bit of international flair, topped off with a marquee to really put the bums on seats.

Some quality posts above by Murph1 and Tommykins. 

That was my first NYL game and I must say it was a pleasure watching a Melbourne Heart side that didn't make me want to gouge out my eyes. 

Unlike the senior side the ball spent almost the entire match on the ground, only being lobbed when a great opportunity presented itself. The finishing was mostly decent, players actually took the game on and there was some great interplay along the wings that we haven't seen in a long time. 

Having said that Victory had very few if any senior type players with even fringe players like Nabbout not playing which may have helped us. 

My thoughts on the inidividuals:

Stevanja: Looked solid as a GK. Was conservative with his passing and made a couple of saves, but I only really saw one as Victory only really had shots in the second half and I was at the other end. He is tiny though and I'd be surprised if he progressed to the A-League, he is too short to be able to make any impact aerially. I'd be surprised if he could reach higher than Engelaars head. 

Walker: Only played about 60 minutes but was good, especially in the first half when Engelaar was on. Was very attacking and happy to push up and swap roles with Kaya onto the right wing running into space.

Petreski: This guy is a short nuggety type and played in the midfield in a role very similiar to Murdocca. Nothing flashy about him, but has decent pace and strength and does those little things right. Good short passes, tackles, hard to get past etc. One of those valuable link guys that provide an option and get the ball to the flashier types. I liked his game, not sure he could be play seniors in the same side as Murdocca. Neither is damaging enough to want two of them as far as I can tell.

Engelaar: This guy is huge, like seriously huge. Only played 30 minutes and did barely any running, but looked multiple levels above. Just looked so confident and assured when he got the ball, and he has these beautifully weighted passes that he plays out infront of the wingers forcing them to take the game on. He could do some serious damage in our seniors. 

Archibald: Skinnier than I anticipated, but he's tall and used the ball well. Didn't get a great chance to assess his defensive work, but he moves well enough. Not as strong a build as Vrankovic, to me he looked more like the Spiranovic build of tall and lean. 

Garrucio: Only played about a half but was good. Took them on every chance he got which is something we don't see the senior players do, and found himself in space alot. Was probably the biggest beneficiery of Engelaars passing into space in the first 30 minutes. Would like to see him start in the seniors.

Retre: A player I didn't particularly notice much, but he didn't necessarily play poorly, he just didn't do much to make him stand out. Not sure on his defensive positioning but he looked ok in a supporting midfielder role, and I don't think Migliorini has much on him other than 2 spectacular goals. 

O'Dea: Came on as a sub and barely had a touch as far as I saw. Nice size but never found any space. Had one chance at the top of the box where he overplayed it looking for a gap, but I don't really remember anything else. Was hitting some ripper shots into the top corner of the net though at half time from the top of the box. 

Schroen: Came on for Engelaar and was good. Plays a bit like Mauk with little touches. Didn't command the game or anything but just does little things that show promise. Deserved his goal. 

Mebrahtu: This guy was found in a park, and plays like it. Like in the seniors he has no real game sense and doesn't play well with others. When he gets it he pretty much always tries to take his man on and once he gets past him if he isn't in a position where he can shoot (which is most places in his mind) then he struggles with the next move. There was one play in the second half where he got the ball on the left wing and despite having two plays in better positions next to him with room to run onto the ball in he tried to take on his defender and lost the ball. He was better as a striker because the passing managed to force him to use his pace and beat his opponent but I thought he was a bit useless at left wing and I'm hoping he doesn't get picked this Friday. 

He also hasn't clicked that he needs to offer something going the other way too. He defends like he has a sandwich in his hand and has no intensity. His freekick looked ok from where I was siting but his corners, like Dugandzics, are almost always too short and easily cut off. He remains a very frustrating player as he can do some pretty awesome stuff but he doesn't get the basics. If he had Murdoccas intensity he could be a very good player. 

Mullet: Left footer who was just as good as Archibald. Played the ball along the ground pretty well and got a few intercepts. Looks decent.

Kaya: Played right wing and was very good at combining with his full backs in Walker and Germano. Many times he moved to cover for them or make space so they could benefit and be dangerous offensively. He pushes up well and tries to run with the ball, and has the necessary intensity. Scuffed a volley that was a good chance of being a goal. He isn't as quick as I'd like though. There were a few times where if he had an extra yard of pace he would have found himself with a lot more space and time, but often he'd struggle to break away from the defender. 

Mitchinson: Really liked his game. Created a lot of run and overlapped well. Passing was good and delivered some very nice crosses. Also ran the game out well suggesting his fitness is good. As I've said a few times now I'd like to give him the opportunity to show he can replace Behich next season, especially with Aziz being out of form.

Germano: Germano is a player I never really saw the prime of with us as I was a little late to the scene (mid season 2), so I've mostly seen him playing injured in some form or out altogether. Yesterday was the first time I've watched him and been really impressed. He was very good at right back, constantly being an option and overlapped with Kaya really well. His goal was a very tidy finish and I can see what he could bring to the table. Also looked very hungry and happy to be out there. 

So from that match the players I want to see feature in our seniors before the season is out are Schroen, Mitchinson, Walker, Germano, Garrucio and Engelaar, and I would like to see any of the other players rewarded if they can string some really good form together. 

• Like 4

After the glow has worn off from me after a rare heart win, I think it must be remembered that Victory were severely depleted, a couple of their back men (Well boys) looked like they were 9, so really the result yesterday had to be expected....

Yes, this needs to be taken into account. Players such as Engelaar and Germano ought to look good in this company.

That's why it's disturbing to read about Golgol. As a senior player dropped to the NYL you're there to get your game back together, not to have an afternoon strolling about in the sun. If you can't take those chances in the NYL how the hell do you expect to take them in the seniors?

I have a feeling that its still his Ostieitis Pubis that makes him seem lazy. People have to remember that its not an injury, its a condition that doesnt have a cure. Plus when he has the ball he can get past anyone. He was having a field day yesterday. Still a huge fan and I think he should be on the bench and used as an impact sub until his condition can be managed properly.

I have a feeling that its still his Ostieitis Pubis that makes him seem lazy. People have to remember that its not an injury, its a condition that doesnt have a cure. Plus when he has the ball he can get past anyone. He was having a field day yesterday. Still a huge fan and I think he should be on the bench and used as an impact sub until his condition can be managed properly.

I agree, I can't help but think that his condition is significant in explaining how he performs.

Another thing that might partly explain his performances is his lack of 90 minute matches. He's been used largely as a substitute throughout his professional career first at Gold Coast and now at Heart, with this season pretty much being the first time he's started on multiple occasions. I don't think he knows how to pace himself and maximise the fitness he has, which might well, as suggested, be hampered by his Ostieitis Pubis.

Given how much patience has been shown towards the likes of David Williams, 2 years older than Golgol with much more professional football experience, I reckon Golgol deserves a bit more time, but not as much time as the likes of Williams has had to prove himself (3 whole seasons).

I agree, I can't help but think that his condition is significant in explaining how he performs.

Another thing that might partly explain his performances is his lack of 90 minute matches. He's been used largely as a substitute throughout his professional career first at Gold Coast and now at Heart, with this season pretty much being the first time he's started on multiple occasions. I don't think he knows how to pace himself and maximise the fitness he has, which might well, as suggested, be hampered by his Ostieitis Pubis.

Given how much patience has been shown towards the likes of David Williams, 2 years older than Golgol with much more professional football experience, I reckon Golgol deserves a bit more time, but not as much time as the likes of Williams has had to prove himself (3 whole seasons).

Agree with all of this Murf, I also think Gol Gol is better than williams now and as you said he is two years younger so I hope we keep him and I hope Simon and the new owners work out away of getting his body right, there are alot of afl players who have had Ostitis pubis and have been able to comeback from it.

I hear all the things that are good about Golgol and I agree with them because I've seen them. When he first made it to the seniors he had an excellent strike rate. He's skilful and can certainly take a great free-kick.

The question remains however. He occupies one place out of the 23 allowed. Can we justify him continuing to occupy that place when he cannot run out 95 minutes at full pace? That question has to be asked of any player who has fitness concerns. It's not a question directed only at Golgol.

I understand OP is debilitating, and even if he's over the main issues it can still affect.

What I have a problem with is when he just needs to make an extra yard to meet a perfect cross and doesn't. That's not OP's fault, it's his. 

Don't want him to see him near the squad until he puts in 100% effort.