Melbourne Football

Melbourne City's New HQ and Training Facility

Dylan

A bit disappointing to see that we're still training at Epping, given that it's almost been 6 months since the takeover. Was hoping that La Trobe would be redone, or at least the pitches there would be much improved. Hopefully that happens before the start of the season, and the team can train at La Trobe (or another good location, if necessary).

Going off the video and other known information, this to me looks like the squad numbers:

1  Andrew Redmayne
3  Rob Wielaert
4  Connor Chapman
6  Aaron Mooy
7  Iain Ramsay
8  Massimo Murdocca
9  David Villa
13 Jonatan Germano
14 James Brown
15 David Williams
17 Jason Hoffman
19 Ben Garuccio
20 Tando Velaphi
21 Stefan Mauk
22 Nick Kalmar
23 Mate Dugandzic
25 Jacob Melling

Also Paulo Retre seemed to have the number 18. Could he have been promoted to the senior team (I think he's too old to play in the upcoming NYL season)?

Patrick Kisnorbo seemed to be absent (at least I'm pretty sure I haven't seen him in the video or any photos). I wonder if there's anything to that...

I'm also pretty sure I saw Marko Stevanja and Ross Archibald training with the senior team (could be a few more youth players with the senior team as well, I'm not sure). Both didn't seem to have squad numbers. Not sure if that's significant. I remember it being reported that Archibald would be a senior squad player; perhaps that's now not the case?

There was a young player with a mohawk (or something), who I couldn't identify. Didn't have a squad number.

All up things look pretty good, and hopefully we can get the remaining 6-7 permanent senior players signed up soon enough so the whole squad can have a good pre-season together (for once!).

Edited by Murfy1

Who is the third keeper out there today training with Redmayne, Tando and Joey Didulica?

Marko Stevanja, Youth team keeper......trained with the first team keepers all last season IIRC

I thought it might be. Makes me wonder whether he's actually in the seniors now? Is he now preferred to Bray and Maynard?

Youth and seniors have been training together for years.

The mohawk kid looks like Steve Kuzmanovski.

For those who haven't heard of him:

http://m.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/stars-are-what-will-make-the-socceroos-shine-20120623-20viz.html (last two paragraphs)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gsQ20WwuIFQ

Seemed to be in everything for the AIS side a couple of years ago. Think he was injured for part or all of last season though.

Clearly has tickets on himself, but everything I've heard about him is very, very promising.

I think he's only 17.

Edited by marn11
  • Like 5

I think you can just make out Kisnorbo in the background of this photo (in red on the left):

1797454_10152156085687479_51413576077975

I think there's also a glimpse of him in the video as well. It looks like he trained on his own, so perhaps he's injured.

90% sure thats Nick Leman, one of the clubs Physio's, next to Paddy K. So you might be onto something.

A lot of those numbers are probably just placeholders at the moment (except for the players who were already at the club like Dugandzic, Willo, etc, etc) so I wouldn't expect them all to be permanent.

Edited by King Malta

A lot of those numbers are probably just placeholders at the moment (except for the players who were already at the club like Dugandzic, Willo, etc, etc) so I wouldn't expect them all to be permanent.

This - You see blokes at AFL clubs training in all different types of numbers...

The future?

--------------Marino--------------------
Garuccio--Schroen--Kuzmanovski
-----------Mauk---Melling-------------
Petreski-Chapman-Archibald-??--
-------------Stevanja------------------

All under 20 (except Schroen, who's 21).

A lot of promising young players in that team.

Great seeing so many exciting young players around this club again.

The future?

People talk about us losing our identity with this takeover, but I'd argue that City have placed a greater emphasis on youth development and playing attractive football than the previous owners, for the last two seasons anyway.

Just a thought.

• Like 1

The future?

People talk about us losing our identity with this takeover, but I'd argue that City have placed a greater emphasis on youth development and playing attractive football than the previous owners, for the last two seasons anyway.

Just a thought.

Well at the very least, we've returned to having an emphasis on youth after we shifted away from that under Aloisi. 

But I agree, I first started following Heart in their second year, as I was watching both Heart and Victory and felt that Heart were a far more enjoyable football side to watch, mostly due to their exciting, fast-paced game based around their young players. In some respects, I'm more excited by the Mauk, Garuccio contract extensions and the signing of plays such as Chapman, Melling and Brown compared to Villa and potentially Lampard coming to City. And that's not to say that I'm not ecstatic that these brilliant players could be/are playing in the A League, but the young players I just mentioned are the future of the club and potentially the national team and so it's great to see us focusing on their development. 

• Like 1

The future?

Needs more Katebian

Appologise if these images are too big. Was out at latrobe today, thought id take some photos of the grounds. Looks like nothing has been done, unless the pitches have already been complete? Or I am at the wrong spot :P Got to say, I would be happy for the perm base to be built here, lots of space and its rather secluded.

aOsOFX1.jpg?1

D5SQGBh.jpg?1

I0y3qXb.jpg?1

p3VYUV1.jpg?1

zgRmSiU.jpg?1

bwxpMqv.jpg?1

OBCIJQ3.jpg?1

dJXLOxN.jpg?1

5OKHPjw.jpg?1

aXUWaGm.jpg?1

yEvzKDV.jpg?1

NoD7q12.jpg?1

Bm3A4Jm.jpg

pVSeQnk.jpg?1

Edited by Dylan
  • Like 2

There is temporary fencing around half the Latrobe field at the moment which is extended through to some of the student car parking. Looks quite new.

There was some digging happening mid pitch on the other half of the fields with a few utes cruising around the place.

Didn't look too busy but obviously something is happening down there...

Appologise if these images are too big. Was out at latrobe today, thought id take some photos of the grounds. Looks like nothing has been done, unless the pitches have already been complete? Or I am at the wrong spot :P Got to say, I would be happy for the perm base to be built here, lots of space and its rather secluded.

Yep Dylan - by the looks of your pics, it is in exactly the same state as when I posted 10 days ago. Even those dudes and tractors are in the same place!

That temporary fencing is pretty new. Also, the temporary fencing splitting the pitches down the middle is new.

So it looks like something is happening down there. And with about exactly 4 months until the season kicks off, there is probably enough time to develop some top class pitches, some improved resources around them (e.g. new parking lot, roads leading into the training complex, new floodlights, etc.) and maybe even a new structure or two (e.g. a building with change-rooms to replace the very rudimentary current building).

I think it's an excellent amount of space, that's nicely secluded and not too far from the centre of Melbourne at the same time (at least it's a massive improvement on Epping in that regard). It could make a pretty good training complex if the club decides to invest in it and put in the work. 

So IMO there's no reason why we can't have a pretty good training complex by round 1 next season. Hopefully we get one by then, because it's something that many Heart supporters (myself included) have been clamoring for for a long time now.

Edited by Murfy1

Going off the video and other known information, this to me looks like the squad numbers:

1  Andrew Redmayne
3  Rob Wielaert
4  Connor Chapman
6  Aaron Mooy
7  Iain Ramsay
8  Massimo Murdocca
9  David Villa
13 Jonatan Germano
14 James Brown
15 David Williams
17 Jason Hoffman
19 Ben Garuccio
20 Tando Velaphi
21 Stefan Mauk
22 Nick Kalmar
23 Mate Dugandzic
25 Jacob Melling

Also Paulo Retre seemed to have the number 18. Could he have been promoted to the senior team (I think he's too old to play in the upcoming NYL season)?

Patrick Kisnorbo seemed to be absent (at least I'm pretty sure I haven't seen him in the video or any photos). I wonder if there's anything to that...

Duff should be number 11 I'd imagine. He wore 16 at Fulham, but 11 at Blackburn, Chelsea, Newcastle and usually for Ireland. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know when and where training is tomorrow or next week

It looks like the team will be training at Hume City FC's training ground tomorrow and this week (source: http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/Melbourne-City-FC-building-towards-Manchester-camp/91040). And the team will fly off to the UK this Sunday, so they'll be training at Manchester City FC's splendid & expensive Carrington training ground next week (source: http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/melbourneheart/news-display/Melbourne-City-FC-to-embark-on-Manchester-training-camp/91018 ). The team will be in the UK for about 17 days, and will be back in Australia around July 25th 

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 1