Melbourne Football

Josh Kennedy

Kiro Kompiro

looked pretty similar to the Lexus RX 450h

bloke plays in the J-League for a while and thinks he can drive a Japanese car.

Should be driving a Holden Cruze based on his performances... More like Fkn Datsun stanza

Heard a rumour today that Kennedy may well announce his retirement.

Likely just another crazy rumour that seems to follow our club like a magnet, but given his struggles with injuries, I wouldn't rule it out.

bloody hope he does. We can start again. Hope Koren does the same too. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Quite surprised by the sudden retirement as i would have bet my house that he was staying on for another season, although in saying that, it is the right decision for himself with his ageing body as well as continuous injury worries. Interested to see how we utilise this Aus Marquee spot now, but imo its a no brainer that we lock in Mooy in that spot. 

Lock in Mooy as marquee and use the big chunk of the cap that Mooy took to sign the best quality foreign striker possible. Only Scott McDonald would be a marquee that is available and would benefit us. Juric would be handy, but doesn't deserve to be on $$$$ more than Mooy.

We should try amd lock Mooy down by moving him onto marquee wages. Is better than any other aussie we could realistic get.

Move Mooy to marquee to free up salary cap funds but you only have to see the Visitors experience with Milligan to see that signing him as Australian marquee won't necessarily prevent him from leaving for a better deal.

• Like 2

We should try amd lock Mooy down by moving him onto marquee wages. Is better than any other aussie we could realistic get.

Move Mooy to marquee to free up salary cap funds but you only have to see the Visitors experience with Milligan to see that signing him as Australian marquee won't necessarily prevent him from leaving for a better deal.

Definitely. But it certainly can't hurt our chances of retaining him in the future and as I said before, there's very few Aussies out there that I'd rather have as marque and none of them are coming to the A-League any time soon.

300-400k on a VISA striker would be great. Someone from South America or a lesser European country where that's considered a good competitive wage.

Kennedy didn't work out too well did he.  Let me recap:

• signed as a marquee but cant start till half way through the season
  • turns up extraordinarily unfit
  • is clearly only useful as a high striker, heading in crosses or poaching in the box, but no sooner does he appear then the only winger who can hit a barn door with a cross is out for the season injured
  • retires prior to next season

All in all we can add this to the CFG stuff up list. 

JVS signed Kennedy as a winger. Unfortunately Brown wasn't working out as our striker, so JVS had a genius tactical idea of playing Kennedy as our striker but also having him often shift out to the wing to put in crosses for Dugandzic who would come to the centre and challenge the big strong CBs for the header.

#dutch #tactics #totalfootball

• Like 1

• is clearly only useful as a high striker, heading in crosses or poaching in the box, but no sooner does he appear then the only winger who can hit a barn door with a cross is out for the season injured

JVS signed Kennedy as a winger. Unfortunately Brown wasn't working out as our striker, so JVS had a genius tactical idea of playing Kennedy as our striker but also having him often shift out to the wing to put in crosses for Dugandzic who would come to the centre and challenge the big strong CBs for the header.

#dutch #tactics #totalfuckhead

Fixed

I would say it was a JVS/Didluca stuff up!

Koren is a CFG stuff up!

Koren is a CFG stuff up!

And CFG kept both JVS and JD at the club so its utimatley a CFG stuff up

Koren is a CFG stuff up!

And CFG kept both JVS and JD at the club so its utimatley a CFG stuff up

I am not defending CFG, but they have left the present management team to choose the players except Koren.

Yes I believe it would be better to have brought in a new manager. However, that doesn't mean everyone of the decisions made by JVS/JD is the fault of CFG.

All true except I'd say he was recruited by JVS/JD and for the reasons you state - a poor recruitment choice. His usefulness was with the head yet our wing play/crossing was diabolical so his effectiveness was poor. I'm sure we've heard this before. Our list has just not been balanced/smart enough for the team to be competitive at the top half of the table. And this after 5 years of JD and JVS pulling strings. I see a connection :hkpalm:

Good luck to Jesus and thanks for calling time (rather than just hanging on for another pay cheque) but now we have an opportunity to get a proven striker.

Edited by HEARTinator

For the record I think JW had the right of this signing early on. As I recall he was very concerned with kennedy's fitness and how he would fit into the squad. Malimate was right about the outcome, but his logic was just that Kennedy was "shit", which because of his fitness and team mates etc was never proved either way (to me).

now what I would really like to know is did we do a medical on Kennedy and if so what did it say? 

It's certainly interesting to just skim through the earlier posts in this thread...to see who got it right and who got it wrong...

I'm just interested now in who we are going to sign (or already have signed) to make up the balance of the squad for 2015/16, because surely City has learned a few lessons by now about the wisdom of signing older players with a history of injuries.

Hopefully this is a reason why CFG are bringing in a layer of new fitness & physio staff (and maybe why Ripamonte exited), to ensure that our newest signings are able to add value to the team.

The staff at this club have a truly shocking record of signing players (especially Socceroos) on their last legs, dating back to season 1 in 2010. Not only have these decisions been disappointing, but the lack of learning has been staggering and a big disappointment. I hoped they had more inside knowledge and knew what they were doing, especially with the Kennedy signing, but I was mistaken.

Hopefully now the people at the club get it, and CFG in particular leave no room for error with these decisions, and the club only signs players fully fit, and can play more than 1 season (not 1 season, or half a season, like every Socceroo this club his up until now signed). 

• Like 2

The biggest mind blowing factor with Kennedys announcement its around 6 failed signings. 2 fuckups for me is enough to look at what your doing and put into place safe guards to prevent future problems. Okay I understand any player can get injured at any point and you can't prevent this, but signing blokes with injury concerns in their recent past is to me idiotic. Now I might get canned for this but Gamiero is also a case in point. 

Just don't sign injury prone/injured players ever.

• Like 1

Blaming CFG is a bit much. 

Fact is they would have been relying on the input of the local management team for the recruiting of Australian players in the inaugural season.

I'm glad that Josh had the decency not to play for another pay cheque.  In fact he always seemed in two minds even before signing on, he knew his body better than anyone- I think we chased him and he acquiesced.

And yes Gamiero is one big ganble and personally I would have Bulut as well even if he can be a bit of a dickhead off the field.

I'd go as far as to say Bulut is the best finishing talent since Viduka.  The guy is a born natural striker.  Go get him CFG.  Its a ganble, but as Kerem tells us, so is life.